[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Artists Alley Questions Thread

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 6

File: 01.jpg (128KB, 600x448px) Image search: [Google]
01.jpg
128KB, 600x448px
How many online followers do you need before you can successfully sell prints at a convention? I've been told shittier art can sell at one simply because an artist is popular and that if you have a much prettier looking booth, you're more likely to attract people despite not-so-great prints. How true is that? And what's a decent amount for a first-timer to spend on prints?
>>
>>2813384
>popular artists in more presentable booths sell more prints than unknown artists in shitty booths
Calling bullshit on that, it makes no sense.
t. literal autist
>>
Check /cgl/. They have their own Artist Alley general >>>9294367

They've discussed aesthetics and fanpopularity's correlation with sales in past threads, so checking out the archived AA threads would also help.
>>
>>2813384
all of that is BS. when you go to a con, especially a regular local one, there are slim chances few to any people are going to coincidentally be your followers online. You're only going to run into regular con-goers, cosplayers, local people etc. who just wandered into the artist alley looking for something to hang in their room. Unless you're sakimichan, i don't think popularity is going to make any difference. also, just because someone has seen your work online doesn't automatically mean that they'll buy it just because they ran into it irl.

eye-catching booth = people coming over to check it out. this will boost your sales, but if you make shit art then they'll obviously just walk away.

the usual advice is to print 5-10 copies of each. at catprint i think the price is 70 cents. do the math. suppose you have 20 different prints and want to make 7 multiples of each.
>>
>>2813412
What this anon said, and to expand on it further:

Know your audience. If you're going to an anime themed con it is probably not worth bringing your MtG Style illustrations because they likely won't sell as well as something anime themed.

Figure out popular themes and trends before you start paying for prints, and on another note, don't order lots of prints, you will sell less than you think you will.

Also, cats always return a tidy profit.
Always.
>>
File: e9270e8d3c582297bb2df57c2efd837a.jpg (153KB, 2048x1060px) Image search: [Google]
e9270e8d3c582297bb2df57c2efd837a.jpg
153KB, 2048x1060px
>>2813407

You know what, no.

/IC/ needs their own artists gallery general. Bumping!
>>
File: Ep2_yuuko_wut.png (269KB, 606x693px) Image search: [Google]
Ep2_yuuko_wut.png
269KB, 606x693px
How much does it usually cost to get a artist or vendor booth at a con? Sounds pricy.
>>
>>2813939
People here don't even do finished pieces
>>
File: flat_800x800_075_f.jpg (71KB, 800x643px) Image search: [Google]
flat_800x800_075_f.jpg
71KB, 800x643px
>>2813949

>Kek'd because it's true

Will /ic/ ever get guud?
>>
>>2813939
>>2813949
kek
As much as I hate-love /ic/, /cgl/'s much more commodification focused. I'm interested in what more /ic/-based users feel about or participated in artist alleys, though.

>>2813944
Depends on the size and popularity of the con. Something like small college cons can cost as low as 50 bucks, but massive cons like Dragoncon and SD Comic-Con can go over $400 (but industry guys seem to the bulk of those types of alleys). Look for local cons (http://animecons.com/) and price-check them.
>>
>>2813384
I know a guy who attends small cons he has less than 200 followers on any site and he breaks even at all his cons now. His first two cons he went negative but its because they werent 100% comic focused and had cosplay,anime,gaming stuff.
>>
File: 1484086237886.jpg (110KB, 1000x847px) Image search: [Google]
1484086237886.jpg
110KB, 1000x847px
>>2813949
>>
>>2813949
The people here that do leave tho

MW-Magister gets a pretty big crowd at cons, does he even post here anymore?
>>
>>2813424
Caveat: I know people who have showed up to anime cons just for the MtG. It depends if your local con supports the MtG scene or not. Mine did.
>>
File: tumblr_o1ektfa1pd1r5mulqo2_1280.jpg (333KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o1ektfa1pd1r5mulqo2_1280.jpg
333KB, 1280x960px
>>2813384
It doesn't matter what kind of online following you have; or the quality of your work really. What matters is what you're selling.
Any merchandise of whats popular right now will sell like hot cakes. That's pokemon, most anime, overwatch, steven universe, etc.
Prints sell less than smaller things like stickers and badges. If you can draw fast make sure to offer sketch commissions - that's what makes me the most money anyway.
TL;DR Conventions are easy money if you're moderately good and sell fan art.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.