[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pen and Ink

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 8

Is Alphonso Dunn a good source for learning how to work with pen and ink? I haven't been able to find any artist or book that goes into detail about the process.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (527KB, 3000x1836px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
527KB, 3000x1836px
I'm really drawn to him because his textures and shading seem to be really on point for a beginner like me so I could probably learn a lot.
>>
>>2812698
imagine sticking ur dick in that
>>
He's making some mistakes, but you could do a lot worse if you're a beginner. Just don't hold him up in your head as end-all-be-all.
>>
>>2812713
Is there anyone else I should be looking at? Who should I avoid?

What mistakes does he make?
>>
>>
>>2812726
bump for interest
>>
Where is he making mistakes? I assume I don't have enough experience to see them by myself
>>
>>2813660
Don't listen to /ic/. Dunn is definitely alright to learn the techniques, not only for pen and ink.
>>
Stop asking /ic/ how to get good
They fucking suck at drawing. Anybody here with very rare exception who got good did not get good from /ic/s advice

This board is a shit hole of negativity and misguided information that will lead you on a wild goose chase and keep you from ever getting good
>>
>>2813817
>misguided information
this
>>
>>2812695
I do recommend the book if you want to learn to draw with ink as your medium. But like with anything when learning to draw, be sure to seek out and practice outside his stuff as well
>>
>>2812713
chatshit guy
>>
>>2812695
yes he's good.
HOWEVER, there's a better book you should be reading instead, is called: Rendering in Pen and Ink, by Arthur L Guptil.
>>
>>2813859
>>2813817
any other similar forums? 4chan is great cause you don't have to log in and you'll get response fast and everything changes constantly.
>>
File: t86bxafj1spree6o1_400.gif (252KB, 371x371px) Image search: [Google]
t86bxafj1spree6o1_400.gif
252KB, 371x371px
>>2813817
>don't use this board
>doesn't give another place to go
good advice mate
>>
Might not be related to the topic but does drawing in pen and ink translate well to other areas such as drawing with a mechanical pencil?
>>
I do recommend his book as a base of learning to draw, but just be sure to seek other exercises and practices along the way.

>>2814660
I'd imagine so, since creating tone and shade can help when learning to color
>>
File: CitySEA.jpg (3MB, 2576x1250px) Image search: [Google]
CitySEA.jpg
3MB, 2576x1250px
>>2812726
Frazetta you motherfucker, if you're gonna learn learn from a master
>>
File: durer_hercule-hydre.jpg (285KB, 1285x1000px) Image search: [Google]
durer_hercule-hydre.jpg
285KB, 1285x1000px
Also, Albrecht Dürer's gravures
>>
>>2814715
>>2814719
>>2812726

charles dana gibson is pretty great also.
>>
Anyone bought the book? Is the book worth it?
>>
File: BarronStorey_TheRobe.jpg (342KB, 769x1130px) Image search: [Google]
BarronStorey_TheRobe.jpg
342KB, 769x1130px
Bernie Wrightson, Joseph Clement Cole, Franklin Booth, James Montgomery Flagg, Mike Mignola, Sergio Toppi, Bill Sienkiewicz, Barron Storey, Claire Wendling
>>
>>2813817
/ic/ actually helpmed me to improve unlike hugboxes over the web
>>
Dunn isn't a bad artist, but he should give lessons. He has no idea how to teach stuff to people.
>>
>>2814912
This.
>>
>>2813817
Also helped me improve. Negativity is everywhere. If your can't discern or decide things on your own, you deserve what you end up with. Be an individual.
>>
>>2812695
I can't speak to his book since I haven't read it but Rendering in Pen and Ink by Arthur Guptill's a good one.

His videos seem alright. He's not on the same tier with pen and ink as the other mentioned in the thread(Frazetta, Gibson) but as a starting point he's fine.
>>
>>2814912
/ic/ isnt a hugbox, but it is a bucket of crabs
>>
Photos of drawings with the pen or pencil laying on he paper make me cringe ...lets you know right off the bat the art is YouTuber time lapse tier
>>
>>2816542
As in? I've never had anyone actually try to stop me in doing something that wasn't already stupid.
>>
>>2814958
This should be at the gates of 4chan
>>
>>2813817
/ic/ has been unimaginably helpful to my success and support system as an artist.

Just because you think it's just some whiny soapbox for you to get up and shine your autism badge on doesn't mean that it is as useless to the rest of us.

From someone who has been on this on this site since literal year one, get the fuck off this forum.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.