[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

values

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

How do I get good at values ?
>>
You don't.
>>
>>2812262
You can't, people are born into that skill.
>>
It's a Gosh given talent. You either have it or you don't.
>>
>How do I get good at X
The answer is always study and practice.
>>
you either know it or you dont, sorry
>>
>>2812262
talent
>>
>>2812268
>>2812279
>>2812273
>>2812266

Stop that

To get good at values, it helps to leanr about the principles of lighting. I recommend James Gurney's Colour and Light or Scott Robertson's How to Render.

Lighting is a complex principle, but it can be learnt as long as you take it one step at a time. Read a handful of information and revise that until you fully understand it, then apply it.

Do studies in which you observe these lighting effects you learnt in the book. Don't just copy values, you'll learn at the speed of a tectonic plate if you do.

Gurney's book can most likely be found on Media Fire, look in the artbook thread, you'll find it I'm sure.
>>
>>2812286
What a load of bull.
>>
>>2812286
Nice fucking propaganda, dipshit

"you can learn it" ???
> implying you weren't born with it?
>>
>>2812262
through value studies
>>
>>2812405
And how do i do that ?
>>
>>2812443
1. Create Gray scale
2. Pull Reference
3. Create contour and basic forms
4. Use all of your scale
5.Make sure to us ALL of them

3 shades (white, grey, black) are for beginners
6 shades for intermediate
and so on

But this is just for studying. Actual professional work to upload online will require you to use tools like softbrushing and shit.
>>
>>2812449
Thanks, any tips on doing that but directly with colors ?
>>
>>2812462
I dont think i would do it for colors, since you're only training your eye for value. Maybe use a brown or peach scale instead of gray?

But im not a painter though, so yeah...
>>
File: 1410923715095.jpg (25KB, 400x283px)
1410923715095.jpg
25KB, 400x283px
>>2812399
I was going to refute this but if some retard actually believes you then they're better off that way I guess
>>
>>2812462

Not him but a few things that work for me

Saturated colors are lower in value than their horizontal grayscale counterpart

A good thing is to saturate colors when doing details, subtle shadows and other things to avoid that flat look

Value ranges should be lower in the distance, and higher in important focal points

It's really all about knowing where to assign a greater range and where not to.. Usually it works better to use a smaller range than you planned on, especially if you're using a lot of atmospheric light
>>
>>2812262
simplify and control your value ranges
krenz is a good example of this
https://twitter.com/KrenzCushart/status/716665717186105344
iirc sargent basically worked in five values, schmid talks about this in alla prima.
try solving your image in three values: light, midtone, dark. then develop the values while staying within those ranges
>>
I didn't even know that values were considered hard until I read this thread

Thanks /ic/, once again you have taken an aspect of drawing that I was confident about doing and was learning pretty well, and made me believe it was unrealistic to believe I could ever learn to master it at all.

And this is why /ic/ sucks absolute fucking horsecock at making people get good at art. They put negative mental limitations in your head and you believe them and take years longer to get good or never get good because of it. Fuck this place. Avoid it at all costs if you want to get good.

Next time you say something in art is hard to do why don't you examine that doubt and realize it probably came from the observation of some doubtful fool who had no idea what he was talking about?

Or even worse, somebody who is really good who would have gotten good in half the time if nobody had told him that what he was learning was very difficult
>>
>>2812497
>I didn't even know that values were considered hard until I read this thread

I had the same reaction when I found out /ic/ thinks perspective is hard.

The difference between you and me is that I still think perspective is easy, because I'm not swayed by strangers on the internet telling me what I should and should not find hard.

I hope your issue doesn't extend beyond /ic/.
>>
it's one of the harder things I'm learning right now, I know what good value ranges look like but and I feel so close to getting it and I realized its literally just training
>>
>>2812497
lol fucking learn to think for yourself you zombie

I bet you're one of those faggots who has built up your entire worldview from memes and conspiracy theories and consider the opinions and "research" of 4chan autists to be a reliable and trustworthy source of information.
>>
>>2812609
also alot of total image darkening and then smashing that dodge in little areas and then touch up
>>
>>2812262
what a bad ruan jia ripoff
>>
>>2812595
>I still think perspective is easy
post your work retard : )
>>
Learn to really simplify them.

Do sketches and thumbnails using 2-3 values.

After an initial black and white block in (and then local values) I begin working out darkest and lightest shadow value, lightest local value (but not the highlights or speculars, those are generally last), and halftone (remember that halftones are not shadows).

Study from reference but don't copy. Figuring out the difference is difficult for a lot of people.

Local value is important.

Recognize shadow shapes and edge transitions.

Get really good at seeing and using halftones without making them too dark.

Hopefully it makes a bit of sense. I can try posting an example later if it's wanted.
>>
>>2812262
Do black and white images
>>
>>2812262
that painting is hit.
>>
File: Git rekt son.gif (2MB, 350x253px) Image search: [Google]
Git rekt son.gif
2MB, 350x253px
>>2812692
Kekekek, I fully agree anon, that painting IS a hit! Try to read what you write before you post it, freshman.
>>
>>2812692
>>2812852
>>obliterated
>>
>>2812852
it's never too late to correct my spelling.

That painting is SHIT. And you're an idot.
>>
>>2812968
If you had stop to think what you wrote you wouldn't of made that mistake. My point still stands, scrub.
>>
File: iphone.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px)
iphone.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>2812968
New! The iDot, from the makers of the iPhone.
>>
>>2812973
>wouldn't of
>of
You fucking retard.
>>
>>2812653
It is easy. Easy to conceptualize and simplify, that is. Read Perspective Made Easy, scrub.
>>
File: Morgan.jpg (12KB, 260x194px) Image search: [Google]
Morgan.jpg
12KB, 260x194px
>>2812977
This.
>>
>>2812262
Is it my impression or one of the horns is in a wrong perspective?
>>
>>2812626
my first thought exactly.
>>
>>2812262
Practice
>>
>>2812262

Draw from life in monotone colors and make it as accurate as possible.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.