[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

LOOMIS

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 7

File: andrew-loomis-sketches.png (360KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
andrew-loomis-sketches.png
360KB, 800x600px
Is loomis the biggest /ic/ meme ever to trap beginners in a cycle of repeating absolte bullshit hogwash when there's better guides for beginners?
>>
>>2812120
There are no good guides for beginners. Literally everything is either vague or straight bullshit that wont help you. You either get born with it and draw whole life to get good or you dont and stay shit.
>>
>>2812120
Study from multiple sources.
>>
>I've seen a lot of people draw bad Loomis faces therefore Loomis is bad

It's confirmation bias OP. You want to hate Loomis so you seek our cases where Loomis failed retards dumb enough to not understand Loomis. You can usually identify these idiots very easily because they just copy faces out of the book then throw their toys out of the cot when it hasn't made them a master illustrator, entirely oblivious to the actual concepts the book was introducing.
He adequately introduces forms and construction, he's a meme but he's a meme because he's the easiest recommendation to address common beginner mistakes.
>>
>>2812133
I get a gag reflex when I see shitty loomis studies.
Even worse than crappy anime art.
>>
>>2812120

Loomis significantly improved my faces. I used to make them far too short and pointy.

Now my issue is that I make them too long.
>>
>>2812166
p o s t y o u r w o r k
>>
>>2812120
hey, great point, really like how you addressed why Loomis is a meme and the other guides you listed

you will, without a doubt, make it.
>>
>>2812140
why is this bad?
>>
>>2812120

There is a bigger /ic/ meme than loomis. When you realize it...
>>
>>2812120

People recommend him because he covers all fundamentals (albeit briefly) in his books. You won't master them once you've studied them, but it gives you a goal to work towards.

He doesn't teach you terrible advice, but there's advice that you won't fully understand until you work on personal work and look at other material. You're intended to review it again even if you're finished with it.
>>
>>2812120
How is learning basic proportions, anatomy and perspective "hogwash" you fucking moron? Don't blame Loomis on your inability to learn basic shit.
>>
>>2812201
Because loomis is shit-tier.
There's way better way to learn proper construction.
Villipu for example.
>>
>>2812196
post your work
>>
>>2812120
Training your eye's is more important now than
loomis or whatever shit if you see something draw it accurate as possibe.

>not gonna post work
>>
>>2812310

I didn't remember the techniques when I only sight-sized.

I used both construction and sight-sizing to help me draw now/
>>
Whats with all the Loomis hate?
I remember coming to /ic/ a few years ago and thats what people would recommend the most, along with Vilppu

What do?
>>
>>2812120
Not gonna make it.
>>
File: ecorche-head.png (60KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
ecorche-head.png
60KB, 800x600px
The real problem with the loomis head technique is that he does not go into detail of the anatomy of head plus muscle-skull attatchment, which is actually a lot more essential to understanding the head than lots of people think.

But other than that, OP is a retarded asswipe.
>>
>>2812120

>I can't draw so the teacher is a bad teacher

This is the second anti-Loomis thread. The last one was about symbol drawing.

Beginners want shortcuts. They want to magically get better. They want to sidestep actually reading, understanding, and applying what information the material is giving you.

You should be studying from multiple sources, but Loomis is a great ground work. People who cannot see why that is are fools who are not paying attention.

The information he's presenting you isn't the end. You won't necessarily draw well just studying him. He's offering you methods of making figures from common shapes and giving them depth. Allowing you to invent them.

But you still will not be able to simply draw people or faces or anything from this knowledge. You have to actively draw from life and reference and /DRAW/ to learn how to draw.

There are no better guides. Just different ones with different focuses and information. If you prefer them, use them. But they won't "teach you how to draw". They only tell you what you should be doing when you do.
>>
>>2812120
All beginner guides are shit

But you idiots won't bother to study actual anatomy and draw from life, so you need people like Loomis to spoonfeed you symbol drawing shortcuts
>>
>>2812326
Exactly. It got too popular here and people started to treat it as a meme, which led to hate. The same thing happened on /g/ with a few great programming books.
>>
>>2812140

As far as Loomis studies go that's actually not that bad, I'm talking about the ones that show an obvious lack of understanding of what he was trying to show people with bloke faces (using simple shapes to show form). So they just copy lines and then get butthurt that they didn't learn anything.
>>
What should I be able to do when I finish fun with a pencil, started reading the book and I'm not sure if I'm JUST suppose to copy the example
>>
>>2812364
Dude, loomis was a meme even back in the day like 10 years ago. It's the butt of a joke in the artist community. The only reason why it is recommended (or was) is because it was out of print for the longest time thus freely available.
>>
>>2812127
>le "born with it" mehmeh
That's the vaguest bullshit of all.

I'm still beginner af but I have a few of his tutorials saved on my phone for reference. Helped me realize that I was fucking up by not paying enough attention to the weight distribution of my figures, and that's what I'm trying to work on right now.
>>
>>2812127
That meme is old and unfunny,
Stop it

please and thank you :3
>>
Vilppu and Hampton are better teachers for beginners. They explain things in ways much easier to understand.

Loomis has been a fucking meme forever. At one point some cunt was blowing up the board with pictures of parrots with "Loomis" text all around them.
>>
>>2812127
You born literally able to only suck milk from tit and piss/shit yourself. No one was born able to draw.
>>
>>2812416
>It's the butt of a joke in the artist community.
yeah thats why its recommended by some of the greatest fucking art teachers alive such as steve huston, jeff watts and tons of actual successful illustrators. The only place where you'll find loomis hate is from garbage artists who are too retarded or lazy to work through a really amazing resource filled with amazing information
>>
File: 28lx99g.jpg (31KB, 576x768px) Image search: [Google]
28lx99g.jpg
31KB, 576x768px
>>2812364
>>
>>2812120
Can you redraw Loomis' drawings so exactly that you could overlay the two and not be able to tell the difference?

If you can't, then you're not done studying Loomis.
>>
loomis : ic :: rippetoe : fit
>>
File: SCN_0003.jpg (331KB, 1240x1754px) Image search: [Google]
SCN_0003.jpg
331KB, 1240x1754px
I'm doing the same thing with Fun with a Pencil and I'm both copying and creating my own faces. Now I don't know if I'm showing promise but the book does state that you should be creating your own faces. But knowing about setting up the foundations and placing the pieces does help.
>>
Fun with a pencil is the real meme
What you're supposed to take from the potato heads is how to place spheres/shapes in 3d in relation to each other. What /ic/ learns is how to make potato heads using only contour lines.
>>
>>2812120
So can anyone tell me what's actually wrong with the OP pic?
>>
>>2814032
what isn't wrong with it bro... he isn't even using the construction lines he uses. He should focus on basics like drawing shapes first cause he cant.
>>
>>2812389
If yOure wondering that, you didnt fucking read it! Do every little exercise for at least 10 pages with your own material. Take his methods and make your own! Take your time though, better 1 page/day over 10 pages than 10pages on 1 day
>>
>>2812120
Loomis is ok, just boring
You're frustrated because improving is hard, don't take it out on Loomis and be patient
>>
>>2812557
Oh god I've spent so much time on that single page
>>
File: 1467383126035.jpg (239KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1467383126035.jpg
239KB, 800x800px
>>2812120
Vlippu's Drawing Manual will always and forever be the best drawing book for beginners, because the very first thing it teaches you is simple construction with squares and spheres.

Loomis' "Fun with a Pencil" is for kids, and not for anyone serious about getting good. On the other hand, "Figure Drawing for All it's Worth" is way too advanced for beginners.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.