[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Affordable 2D animation options?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: 2d-drawing[1].jpg (85KB, 821x500px) Image search: [Google]
2d-drawing[1].jpg
85KB, 821x500px
Sorry if this isn't really the place to post a question like this, I'm unfamiliar with most of 4chan.

I'm feeling super inspired to create an animated story, something like 285 hours worth of animation. I really want to hand draw and paint everything, but I have so little experience with it and I'm realizing that this isn't super realistic as far as money goes.

I've heard of some options but I'm wondering how legitimate they are or whether y'all might have some other advice.

First of all I've heard that Disney and other studios used to wash and reuse cels. Is this actually possible? Especially if I kept more important parts separate but washed and reused cels with less significant frames?

I've also heard that you can use glass sheets to animate, and I would imagine that cleaning paint and lines would be possible with some sort of solvent.

Finally another option I'm looking at right now is something like some 500 ft rolls of Dura Lar that I could cut into a total of like 2,360 sheets for only $75 each roll. Even then I guess it'd be tough to afford anywhere close to enough of that- I'm really banking on this "washing" thing to work out.

Thanks for any advice.
>>
just buy a cintiq you stupid mother fucker
>>
>>2808397
I was going to make a longer post, but this. Do your research on how animation has been made in the past 30 years.
>>
>something like 285 hours worth of animation
Ahahaha
>but I have so little experience with it
AHAHAHAHAHA

Anon, there's zero chance of any of that happening. Zero. Please come back to reality
>>
>>2808397
>>2808399
I'd like to avoid anything digital, I want it to be really warm and textured and compelling.

>>2808401
Doesn't hurt to try though.
>>
>>2808392
>something like 285 hours worth of animation

Try to do 10 minutes of hand drawn and painted animation first and see if that won't change your goals slightly.
>>
>>2808410
I plan on it, but even that would require putting so much money into it that I'd really need to be committed already before buying anything.

I also just realized I'm a retard and meant 285 minutes, not hours. Like thirteen 22 minute "episodes". It's 6 am where I am and I haven't gone to bed yet.
>>
>>2808408
There's no "try" anon. I'm being gentle with you. It takes YEARS creating animation for a short film. And you want to attempt animating 285 hours?

Go and and actually try to animate something, do a 10 second test. It's not that easy.
>>
>>2808408
>I'd like to avoid anything digital, I want it to be really warm and textured and compelling.
So you have never drawn digitally and have no idea what you're talking about. Cool.
>>
>>2808417
>It takes YEARS creating animation for a short film.
7 - 9 months at most from concept to finished product for a well-animated short for most students. Some can do it with simpler animation between 4 - 5 months.
>>
>>2808416
Well, that's significantly less insane, but still almost impossible to do for a single artist.

You gotta make compromises somewhere. If you lack a team, have no real budget AND you lack experience, then you simply don't have the luxury to use the medium that makes it ten times harder and more expensive. Maybe do hand drawn figures on digital backgrounds and digital coloring, that's at least somewhat feasible.
>>
>>2808429
Student animated shorts are usually group projects of at least a handful of people aren't they? I love watching Gobelins or CalArts graduation projects on youtube and every one I've seen so far lists several people in the credits. And that's often for a 2-5 minutes short.
>>
>>2808436
It's usually the work of one person, but you call favors from all your friends to get it done in time.
>>
>>2808428
No, I have, and I don't hate digital animation but it's like the difference between analog and digital music, there's just something you can't capture with the computer.

I'm obsessed with Dragon Ball Z lately and I know that they do traditional animation as well as a good deal of digital stuff, but it's the hand drawn style that really have me feeling inspired.

>>2808433
Well if it's any help there are two of us and we have tons of free time. We think we could probably average 8 to 10 hours of animation every day of the week. My husband has some experience with art and animation and he's really good.

The more I read about it the more tempted I am to at least use some software but he's really adamant about doing it all traditionally and I'd love to be able to pull that off too...

We don't have NO budget, but nowhere near the 20-200k budgets I've seen reading so far.
>>
>>2808429
It really depends on the animation OP wants to create, a flash, cut-out like animation would be much easier than classical animation. Youtube is filled with those.

But seriously to create a well made animation film you need to have a great understanding in art fundamentals, animation, film (how to direct a scene), script, storyboard making, lighting/color (optional), etc. Undestanding animation (and motion) is hard as fuck even without all of those, and to be frank OP, you seem like you have no idea what you're doing.

So I'll say again, begin with the basics, do a 10 second animation, see if you even like it.
>>
>>2808447
I have no idea what I'm doing, my husband however has education and a good understanding in all of the topics you mentioned. We're okay with this project taking several years and I'm going to try to learn more about those fundamentals and stuff.

The reason I'm making this thread is because we only realized today how unrealistic it would be to afford the amount of cels we would need and I'm just trying to investigate alternative options.
>>
>>2808444
>No, I have, and I don't hate digital animation but it's like the difference between analog and digital music, there's just something you can't capture with the computer.
Yeah, no idea what you're talking about at all. I guess if inconsistently painted cels and garbage quality if you don't have a team of hundreds of master animators are something you can't capture with a computer you might be right.
>>
>>2808452
>husband however has education and a good understanding in all of the topics you mentioned.
If your husband talked to you about getting cels he doesn't know what he's doing either.

Just get a damn lightbox and paper if you don't want to do it digitally. I feel like i'm being trolled.
>>
>>2808456
/ic/ really needs to get over this disgusting need to help and stroke their collective dick by showing off how much they know about shit.
>>
>>2808461
I know because I studied it anon, OP said her husband is familiar with the field, then he should've given her/you(?) the answers long before she made the thread.
>>
>>2808456
Well he's done digital animation and then also simple flip books and comics and a couple of fast crappy 2d animations. His biggest experience is in the film making aspects and art. We actually had a huge argument today because I was reading about it and assumed that non-cel animation would just look like crap or be too difficult or whatever, and he insisted that we could just draw it all on regular paper, or even use some transparent film or pieces of transparent film in some frames.
>>
>>2808467
>>2808444
>there's just something you can't capture with the computer.

Stuff like Song of the Sea, Over the Garden Wall, Adam and the Dog, the Dam Keeper, most Ghibli movies after the early 00s, every Makoto Shinkai movie etc were all drawn digitally.

I'm not saying there isn't something inherently unique about traditional animation, but 99% of what you should be worried about capturing comes from your draftmanship, your story telling, the character design, the color schemes etc. And the way you describe your situation seems you are willing to sacrifice those things for the sake of making it traditionally in the most difficult and inconvenient way possible, which hasn't been done for decades for a reason.
>>
>>2808482
But that unique quality is exactly what is inspiring us to animate at all- if we couldn't do it this way we'd rather not do it as an animation at all. We've been developing a story that we care a lot about for years, letting it stew and take shape while trying to decide which medium to present it in- traditional hand drawn animation has just been it for us so far.
>>
>>2808408
>Doesn't hurt to try though.

No. But it hurts to fail.
>>
File: BossNass_laugh.jpg (193KB, 1150x750px) Image search: [Google]
BossNass_laugh.jpg
193KB, 1150x750px
>>2808392
> 285 hours worth of animation

Dude just start with 3 minute short story and you will see how hard it is
>>
>>2808392
Dude buy cheap animation desk draw on normal photocopy paper, then on another piece of paper draw lineart with marker/brush/pen then scan it and colour it in PS
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.