[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Art & Engineering

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: leonardo-da-vinci-5.jpg (180KB, 900x506px) Image search: [Google]
leonardo-da-vinci-5.jpg
180KB, 900x506px
Can learning art fundamentals help with the comprehension of mechanical systems, or vice-versa? Or am I'm just wasting time not focusing on one completely?
>>
>>2807621

I don't know for sure man, but my big brother is a engineer who works with space rockets at a pretty high level. He has no art training but apparently he is the only engineer at the department who sketches a lot. He says visualizing the parts is crucial to his workflow and he can't really explain it but parts end up working better when they "feel" right to him at the sketching stage.
>>
>>2807639
>He says visualizing the parts is crucial to his workflow and he can't really explain it but parts end up working better when they "feel" right to him at the sketching stage.

Yeah in my head it always seemed like this makes sense, it's nice to have it confirmed by someone with experience. Thanks anon
>>
>>2807639
Did you also inherit the ability to sketch a lot?
>>
Isn't this what industrial design is all about? Designing something with a certain function?
>>
>>2807672
I'm more concerned with how the individual thought processes of art and engineering play into one another than about the aesthetic value of engineered products.
>>
>>2807621
Everyone I know in mechanical design has little to no art training. Been working in design 30 plus years and I know most of the players in the industry. CAD programs have pretty much removed the need for an understanding of fundamental art principals.
>>
>>2808604
It's sad.

When art and STEM meet its something to behold.
>>
>>2807672
one of my friends does industrial/engineering design stuff for biomedical stuff. before she studied undergrad she was torn between art school and engineering school, and now she says it came full circle where she does engineering design. she still seems regretful not going all the way in, but i think she's going in a pretty great direction.

>>2808639
>>2808604
tragic i agree, but i also think something is lost when basic engineering drawing isn't taught. visual insight can only help.
>>
>>2807688
"aesthetic value of engineered products." this is not what industrial design is all about. it can be though if that's what you want. Function and easy use of products plays a large role in Industrial design education you wont learn any math but learning to solder and working with electronics and programming is part of some design schools curriculum.
>>
>>2808661
I had similar trouble making that decision and didn't know if there was a true happy medium. I think I'm gonna look into that and see if my uni offers any courses like that.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.