[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

how do you practice and improve on the skeletal form? Should

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: Anatomy - 0003.jpg (41KB, 590x806px) Image search: [Google]
Anatomy - 0003.jpg
41KB, 590x806px
how do you practice and improve on the skeletal form?
Should I just copy bone drawings from books?
is it necessary to learn to draw simple looking bones like the humerus with all of its subtle details? (pic related)
is it necessary to learn to draw the vertebrae of the spine, or is just focusing on the cylindrical shape of the spine as whole enough?
>>
>>2806705
First, practice getting the general proportions of the overall skeleton right whit ignoring details.

Simplify each bone you draw to understand the general proportions and then go down into details afterward.

Subtlety will bring life to your drawings but you must first focus on general forms THEN go down to detail.
>>
>>2806705
Whoever drew that needs to learn how to render
>>
>>2807968
algenpfledger drew that in his first year.
>>
Unless you're doing anatomical drawings, you don't need to know all of the minute details of each bone.

What you do need to know is how they fit together at joints, how they move around each other (e.g. scapulae and bones of the forearm), and how they look in areas where they are close to the skin (face, hands, ribs, joints, feet).

So, to answer your question, drawing the humerus in all of its detail isn't necessary. Knowing how it curves into the hip at nearly a right angle is. The details of all the vertebrae are not necessary, but the number of ribs (which connect to them), and how they poke up when the back is arched forward is.
>>
>>2807730
>>2807996
Not OP, but this is helpful. Thanks.
>>
>>2807996
>Humerus
>into the hip

Anon...

I assume you are talking about the Femur, for reference
>>
>>2808172
Wow, I fucked up there. Yes, I meant the femur. I pulled the word from the post and the mental image from the pic. Good job, self.
>>
>>2806705

The big deal about bone details and bumps is that they are there for a reason, articulation and muscle insertions etc, they're not random
>>
>>2808610
They are. And it's very helpful to know all of that for medicine and highly anatomical art.

But as an artist? Most of that really isn't necessary. You can learn it if you want and it will make your understanding of anatomy truly complete. But frankly, in nearly all art, even professional art, that very high level of realism is not necessary.

It's important to learn how bodies move. it's important to learn how bones fit together, it's important to know the gross musculature that controls the body and affects the surface. But the deep core muscles and the exact planes of the bones are not. And if you're going into that level of detail and practice in anatomy, in the bulk of cases it is better to apply that time and knowledge and practice to areas of the body that will have more effect on the surface, and other things that are going to be part of your figures, like clothing, fat, and wrinkles.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.