[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Video Art

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 6

File: flyover.jpg (483KB, 1951x1598px) Image search: [Google]
flyover.jpg
483KB, 1951x1598px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0iYaSLqNA8

What do you guys think of this video art piece? I'm a painter/drawer traditionally, but artists should try working with moving images, and they will more and more in the future.
>>
Video "art" needs to be fucking banned from /ic/
>>
>>2801350
You need to take things less personally.
>>
there needs to be more coherent intention and effort in the images and audio that you use it feels like you just put in whatever because lol, you could probably make the same point (whatever that is) more quickly edit it down. experiment more, shoot your own video
>>
>>2801368
I want to use internet culture sensibilities which means appropriation. Memes, reaction images, appropriated video, etc.
>>
File: DSC_0848.jpg (336KB, 665x1000px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0848.jpg
336KB, 665x1000px
Some sketch book pages just to show I'm not a hack. Just to make my case more persuasive, that you artists should use video
>>
File: DSC_0840.jpg (433KB, 665x1000px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0840.jpg
433KB, 665x1000px
>>
File: DSC_0845.jpg (395KB, 665x1000px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0845.jpg
395KB, 665x1000px
>>
File: DSC_0843.jpg (405KB, 665x1000px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0843.jpg
405KB, 665x1000px
>>
File: DSC_0842.jpg (436KB, 665x1000px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0842.jpg
436KB, 665x1000px
>>
>>2801376
>>2801378
it lacks subtlety you can do better, im just saying experiment with more techniques besides copy and pasting and shoving memes in the viewers face like green screen, look up ryan trecartin. the 3d modeled part is the least detestable and most original part of this. refine your message and meaning more, video editing is mostly a different set of skills from drawing you could experiment with animating thats another can of worms. video art is already a thing check ubu.com its always helpful to broaden your horizons and play with different mediums just not for everyone. also decide if video is the best medium for this and if so use it to its fullest extent.
>>
>>2801405
meant try other techniques like greenscreen, this mess isn't grammar
>>
>>2801405

Ryan Trecartin is one of my fav video artists. But I'm not really interested in performance, and his shit it too surreal. I like image board culture, aka memes, appropriation, image macros, reaction images, stealing from mass culture. BUT using it as a tool to actually say something meaningful, not just random banal shit.

I've taken expanded media classes in art school, I know video is a thing. It's a lot different skill set, but visual artists have something to offer that performers don't.
>>
>>2801412
if your set on memes and etc as a theme I can't exactly stop you, just make more stuff and refine your ideas and techniques as you go. I just personally believe in making things that have important personal value.
>>
>>2801429
Memes are just the internet cultures way to expressing things with important personal value aren't they?

Post-internet is a movement that is already happening in the art world.

Do you get what the theme of the video is btw??
>>
I want to see some more video art, if you got any post it
>>
>>2802789
OP is the worst example of video art you could have used. If you want to take this seriously, here are some much stronger examples

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZedESyQEnMA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_691Gqi5wNA

If anyone has similar, please feel free to share, this is my most prominent area of work & I am very influenced by Francis Alys, but lack influence from other contemporary video artists because I am unaware of them.
>>
>>2802830

Francis Alys is boring as fuck. Way too "muh existentialism". Check out Ryan Trecartin or Cory Archangel, or paper rad
>>
>>2802844
I have seen Ryan Trecartin before, he is far too extreme for me... like the Gregg Araki of media art, it comes off to me like he's trying too hard to be extreme, but I can appreciate it at the least.

Cory Arcangel's gradient pieces look boring & his use of videogames in his work are pretty unoriginal in my eyes.

I guess Francis Alys is boring to someone who is looking for something deeper than what is shown. I feel that simplicity in video art is much stronger & much more pleasing.

I don't even want to comment on the Paper Rad pieces.... very vaporwave-y & feels like an adult swim rip off. It's like the Andy Milonakis of video art.
>>
>>2802880
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=627eWiED2YA

here's another good piece beside Francis Alys, put this towards your boredom
>>
>>2802886
I like that better. Seen quite a bit of similar stuff though. Reminds me of this piece by Pipilotti Rist
>>
>>2802902
haha, that is Pipilotti Rist
>>
>>2802976
oh shit haha
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.