[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The /ic/ guide to making it

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

File: course.png (2MB, 720x2127px) Image search: [Google]
course.png
2MB, 720x2127px
Is it a meme or is following this the best way I can make it? Will studying these books until I die make me Da Vinci?
>>
>>2798993

If you can't sit down for a bit and consistently work on some foundational drawing books, then you won't even master one let alone a myriad of things da vinci was able to do.

He didn't have 4chan to shitpost on but he had plenty of curiosity to figure out how shit works.

Now get to it lad
>>
>>2798999
Well, uh, normally I'd wait for other replies but those trips are too overpowering 4 me. Thanks lad.
>>
>>2798993
>"Force" after Hampton

Fucking meme'd.
>>
I've been working on drawing the head and hands for a week so far, would it be worth going back to the earlier books in that chart? I've done some perspective made easy but didn't practice with it much.
>>
>>2799022
elaborate
>>
I need a good book for drawing heads other than loomis, anyone?
>>
Yes, but it doesn't change the fact that you have to be critically thinking about what it is your doing. Ones skill will always depend on how much they put in. Some on this board sound like they think learning fundamentals is like a videogame; Such as, when they hit the 10, 000th gesture they'll instantly be good at it, but this is my assumptions based on their writing and I get that vibe from you too, OP.

Deliberate practice and targeted studies will be a good mindset. Read the books learn the lessons, do your fundamentals, draw your hobbies, and consistently attack your weaknesses.

>>2799040

Try looking into the Riley method and see it it'll help you.
>>
>>2799033
Not him but Michael Hampton's method of construction is based on placing structure over gesture.

Force is 80% about gesture lines, and it should be followed by Hampton's since he assumes you understand what the fuck is he talking about... I guess.

So, yeah. Gesture drawing is not a meme and all such.

But yeah, to fully grasp Hampton you should not skip the first part.
>>
>>2799094
so force then hampton? is that what you mean?
>>
>>2799100

Yeah.
>>
>>2798993
Fuck perspective. It's something that you can understand without tackling that subject, especially if you dont do complex backgrounds.
>>
>>2799246

Shut the fuck up you uneducated fuck.
>>
Each one of these books will take more than a year to grasp. But yes, studying them will probably yield some great results as they are all fantastic books.
>>
>>2798993
I would advise to stick to one book on figure drawing that you like and understand. The list is very redundant IMO.
>>
File: c1bcc1a4d01aa9a0700d376f6597157c.jpg (173KB, 995x1368px) Image search: [Google]
c1bcc1a4d01aa9a0700d376f6597157c.jpg
173KB, 995x1368px
ic is fucking retarded. And here's why, their philosophy of teaching is a reaction to autistic deviantart artists who learned nothing but symbol drawing and how to color anime girls, so as a result they really try to enforce fundamentals, which is a good thing, but they present it the wrong way to beginners. You're supposed to read these books to help influence your imaginative drawing and sketches, and make you think. ic thinks if you copy x book line for line a hundred times for 2 years, you'll officially have the rank of gud. You should always be skimming through these books everyday for inspiration, not like it's some be all end all.

I partly blame keys to drawing and perspective made easy for this, they present their books on excercises, which just simplifies the learning process of drawing too much for its own good.
>>
>>2799299
No, 2 years is actually a great amount of time to cram in intensive practice with your fundamentals, and then after that go in to imaginative drawing and creative projects. This is how my art school was structured, 8 hours a day of that shit. And let me tell you, having the basics down before you delve into creative shit makes it way easier and way more fun. I've seen this style of learning personally and though it is very brutal to go through, if you can make it every day to the very end, it's worth it.

/ic/ is retarded not because of the way they structure their studies, but because they don't practice what they preach, they spend more time on 4chan than they do actually drawing, get discouraged easily so never take a single study to completion, are extremely jealous, and are just very inexperienced artists in general, relying on book smarts alone. Then they go around acting like they know everything, trying to give advice when in reality they don't know shit.

And you're part of that group I'm talking about.
>>
>>2799314

I disagree. You should exercise your creativity/imaginative/style/personal shit in conjunction with your fundamental studies.

I've seen artists who can draw terrifically from reference and have a good understanding of their basics but you tell them to draw from imagination and it's like their are a beginner again. it's one thing to draw like crap from imagination when you're starting out but if you can produce good work from reference it's very easily to fall into that trap of copying things and whatnot in order to make good drawings.

Furthermore, doing fundamental studies in conjunction with your imagination would allow you to gauge just how much of an impact it has and also give you the motivation to continue drawing. If all you're doing is boring exercises, then you'll probably get bored and give up.
>>
>>2799314
tell us what school you are talking about, then we can see the graduates and judge for ourselves
>>
You guys are idiots. Everything on this board, I mean EVERYTHING is a meme. Even the shit that sounds helpful written by anons here. Every. Single. Thing.

In fact, all the infographics, write-ups etc that came from this board are memes, many of which I wrote/slapped together to fuck with you all. I'm telling you this now as a warning not to ruin another year of your lives. Let me repeat for clarity cause most of you are A-grade retards--everything is a meme here. A fool would take advice from this board.
>>
>>2799314

Post your work.
>>
>>2799335

This advice is a meme.
>>
>>2799335

Don't wear your foil too tight, friend.
>>
>>2799695
Now you're catching on....or are you? Calling said advice a meme could also be a meme to protect the meme.
>>
File: horo.jpg (49KB, 459x394px) Image search: [Google]
horo.jpg
49KB, 459x394px
>>2798993
>4 hours

are you fucking insane I'm a programmer I have like 30-60 MAX min of time to dedicate to a hobby every day.

with this much free time should I even bother trying to git gud at drawing?
>>
>>2799299
this guy is right. like if you want to do anime youre shooting your damn foot off if you only do /ic/ fundamentals shit. the most important thing is to learn and apply the fundamental concepts *which apply to your work*
yeah, what's most important is to be able to look at what your favorite artists' work and understand what theyre doing (in terms of fundamental concepts, whatever)

>>2799703
well it depends how fast you wanna go. an hour a day is fine if youre being productive about it. hold off on doing many full illustrations, theyre huge time sinks. theyre good for showing you what you've been sneakily avoiding working on because they force you to draw the whole thing and all, but other than that stay away.

anyways i mean at worst it just takes you 4 times as long eh.

if you watch tv that's not super visual or have a commute on a bus/train you can draw in that time too
>>
>>2799708
>or have a commute on a bus/train you can draw in that time too

I commute on the bus to work, which is 2 hours per day. I know that's 2 hours I could be using to draw but a couple of problems arise:
-it's kinda embarrassing to draw in public like that
-the bus can be to shaky making it impossible to have a steady hand

Instead I use that time to either watch tutorial so I don't waste 2 hours watching tutorial when I get home or catch up on cartoons.
>>
>>2799810

Do you work in the Bay Area, by any chance? Asking as a CS student.
>>
>>2799821
South Florida
>>
>>2799335
truth
>>
>>2798993
imo you should start with observational drawing like "keys to drawing"
>>
>>2799335

What if the shit that they say is from books?
>>
>>2799699

This post is a meme.
>>
>>2798993

Loomis's Creative Illustration should also be at the end, and then some.
>>
>>2799810
>-it's kinda embarrassing to draw in public >like that

First off it is not embarrassing, I mean why give a shit. It's not like the other people on the bus give an actual shit either.

Second about shaky bus, you can put a small pillow with one of those no slide rubbermats under your sketch book on the bus, and then draw using light strokes with a pencil. If the bus makes shaky marks from time to time really is not a problem, as you are sketching to learn, not to create finished art to live off.

If you can find an informal drawing club on the internett/facebook that meets from time to time to draw then I would recommend that, I am a computer engineering student who does art too and meeting emotionally intense artists to get some variation from cold'ish hard logic people is Amazing!
>>
>>2798993
meme the memes
>>
>>2799913
You're right though, that's 2 hours...and then ~20 extra mins if I skip lunch. So instead of 6 hours in a workweek I'll get that meme 8 hours (if I sacrifice 1 hour of sleep).
>>
>>2799963
Don't burn yourself out at it, get enough sleep, its not a sprint but a long marathon. Its a process you have to dedicate yourself to over a long time so focus on having an intensity to it that you can maintain. You might also learn some parts of it a bit faster due to you already knowing how to learn due to you being a programmer. Using programmer logic to decompose just what you need to learn and draw to get result x is very helpfull if used correctly. Its also very helpfull when trying to learn how to truly see and observe something so you can learn how to draw it realistically, as in figuring out how light, perspective, shadow, light bounching, etc, etc theoretically works. Ps: Memorising a bit of how muscles is placed/attached to the human skeleton helped me alot, much easier to figure out how the body moves using hard logic with that in mind.
>>
>read the complete works of leonardo davinci
>understand every fucking thing involving vision, drawing, and painting
>study MULTIPLE perspective books
>study MULTIPLE anatomy books
>do a fuckton of master copies (old master or god-tier)
>do a fuckton of observational drawings
>do a fuckton of observational paintings
>try to do your own stuff (the first 100 paintings will be shit)
>do studies of everything relevant to what you're working on

by the time you finish this list you will be at least FZD school tier.
>>
>>2798993
Why hasn't anyone pointed out how shit this image is? It's pure shit. Ignore it.
>>
>>2800607
>do a fuckton of everything
>then you will be good

woah, i didnt know that
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.