[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help-me choosing a book to learn to draw

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 3

Hello, I've been reading about a lot of books about drawing, the one that looks complete is the THE PRACTICE & SCIENCE OF DRAWING BY HAROLD SPEED, but there is a catch, it is really a old book, so there a a lot of old concepts and stuff.

Is there an updated version or similar book like this?

Books that you make me evolve and stuff? I'm a begginer, but the other books seems like a tutorial or something, it is not like I'm really learning to draw.

Thank you very much.
>>
I would recommend Keys to Drawing by Bert Dodson. What do you mean they feel like a tutorial though? What books have you already looked at?
>>
This one made me kek a bit

>some of my more retarded students think they're just supposed to draw what they see
>I hope some day color photography gets good enough that these retards stop
>meanwhile on /ic/
>>
File: 1482857013225.png (2MB, 720x2127px) Image search: [Google]
1482857013225.png
2MB, 720x2127px
>>2796299
You can find these books in the links posted in other threads, or you can buy them
>>
>>2796396
I would also recommend "Classic Human Anatomy" by Valerie L. Winslow
>>
>>2796346
I've read the Drawing on the right side of the brain, I think that this book is mostly pseudo-science, but it removed my limitation about drawing.

I have Keys to Drawing, but didn't read it yet, and I've started to read the Harold Speed one.

By tutorial, I mean, "first draw a line like this, and then like that", but it is not teaching you to create a "gestalt" feeling or other techniques that mix all the knowledge together, you know?

It is not like they are teaching art, but more like they are teaching "how to draw Mickey Mouse". I have no problem with that, but I'd like to understand art really well.

>>2796386
Yeah, it is nice to draw what you see, but I think it is only the first step, I'm not that good at it for now, but I'm good enough to give another step, I think.

>>2796396
Thank you very much! I'll take a look at them right now.

>>2796397
This one is in my list! Thank you.

Also, about perspective, I've found this one, it is really technical, but looks awesome.

http://handprint.com/HP/WCL/tech10.html#index
>>
File: IMG_0206.jpg (54KB, 385x499px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0206.jpg
54KB, 385x499px
>>
>>2796396

Holy shit why isn't this part of the sticky? I've been writing walls of text when I should have just pointed to that image.

>>2796299

You can find way older than Harold Speed still. The books aren't out of date they all more or less present timeless information - which is to learn to draw and to break the thing down you see in front of you into positive and negative shapes (thus untraining "symbol drawing" as it's now called).

It's been awhile since I read Harold Speed's book but I've yet to come across old texts (other than specific outdated painting tips due to shitty materials) that discuss "old concepts".

We draw and see the same way they did back then.
>>
>>2796524
I see, since Speed talks a lot about theory, I thought that there would be new stuff, specially because modernism. Thanks.
>>
>>2796299
>THE PRACTICE & SCIENCE OF DRAWING
>that cover
shit
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.