[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you enjoy drawing, /ic/? Is it something that you have fun doing?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 18

File: 11-512.png (27KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
11-512.png
27KB, 512x512px
Do you enjoy drawing, /ic/? Is it something that you have fun doing?
>>
i enjoy drawing, but i'd still rather be playing vidya.

I feel like the better i get, the more fun it becomes.
>>
>>2795807
Yes. It can be frustrating at times but yeah I love it.
>>
I really like the way that stick figure is drawn
>>
>>2795807
I do, a lot.
>>
>>2795807
most of the time no.
I have no idea what im doing and everything comes out looking like complete ass
>>
>>2795834

Change hobby
>>
>>2795854
Why?
Because you said so? lol
>>
>>2795856
Hobbies are meant to be fun. If you aren't having fun with your hobby then you should find a new one. If the only time you enjoy drawing is when you draw something good, then you aren't enjoying making art, you're enjoying succeeding at something.
>>
>>2795859
but art is pain.
I thought /ic/ knew this better than anyone
>>
I would kill my self if I lost my left hand (drawing hand). Drawing is the only skill I got.
>>
>>2795859
>Hobbies are meant to be fun
Some people prefer their life to be suffering. Suffering makes some people feel alive. Not everyone just wants fun and games, anon.
>>
Had a hard time lately and only drew once a few days, but currently I'm trying harder and it's actually really fun.
>>
>>2795859
Hobbies only remain fun at a superficial beginner level where you don't challenge yourself much at all. To progress any hobby towards intermediate or expert level requires hard work, which by nature means it becomes less fun for at least a while until you get used to new, challenging concepts you learn.
>>
>>2795859
Who said anything about art as a hobby? Hobbyists are what's wrong with art today. A hobby isn't a serious activity, and because of this it's difficult to take seriously a craft that is overwhelmingly made up of hobbyists.

Although I agree that if one doesn't know why or have no concrete reason for doing art on top of not enjoying it, they should probably quit.
>>
Its pretty frustrating most of the time but seeing the end result is why I like drawing. I don't always get to the end though.
>>
>>2795807
honestly, no. Every time I draw I'm reminded that the lifestyle I want doesn't actually exist, and that what I want in life probably won't end up coming my way. I want a normal family who I can spend time with, AND I want to make art, but when I'm in my bedroom at 430 AM every day, drawing figures, I can't help but think that no one wants to associate with that.

Also, they task of drawing by itself is not enjoyable for me either, I'm always in fear that the progress I think I'm making will one day just stop, and after spending a long amount of time working on something that should be easy for me, I start to get really angry and sometimes emotional, and then I think about how other people see me again.

Drawing isn't something I truly enjoy, It's just the only thing I think I'm relatively good at that I know how to self improve on
>>
>>2796257
and I've never really liked what I make after it's done, I'll wake up the next morning and see my drawing on the floor, and then get pissed thinking about how much time it took me to make it.
>>
I enjoy it, when i feel like i actually learned something.
Like the time when i finally got how to render..i had fun and really enjoyed it.
But between the time..till i finally get something ..i dont really enjoy it.
>>
My enjoyment for it is quickly dying because of how shit I am, and my poor ability to actual learn/understand shit.
>>
File: pacha.png (196KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
pacha.png
196KB, 500x500px
>>2795807
The other day a lovely old lady watched me draw and asked me about it, and while I rambled about it I realized how much I love this stuff.

Since I started drawing I've been studying birds, insects, trees, flowers, cars, architecture, the human body so I could draw them better. It completely changed my way of looking at the world. It taught me to see beauty in places where others won't even look. I've learned to see light, the way it bounces off surfaces, the true nature of color, the texture of things. In a way it taught me to be compassionate towards all these beautiful things and influenced unrelated life choices that made me infinitely more serene.

It was incredible to hear myself say these things because I never really thought about it before. I enjoy listening to music much more than looking at visual art, so I must have overlooked what my own practice of drawing did to me over these years.
>>
>>2796661
post your art
>>
>>2796661

Will you be my gf?

<3
>>
>>2795860
>>2796143
>>2796207
>>2796253
not him btw

>Who said anything about art as a hobby?
it's a hobby until you get paid for it.

it's not like learning has to be soulless, you can have fun as long as you try to learn something from it

look at the amount of stuff going on in pic related. painting and drawing all sorts of stupid and entertaining shit is infinitely more satisfying than doing fundamental excersises.

if you apply the fundamentals, you can do whatever the fuck you want.
>>
>>2796143

t. Into BDSM.
>>
File: 1452823995138.png (49KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
1452823995138.png
49KB, 750x750px
I like drawing.

I despise coming up with ideas and inventing stuff, but that's the only way to make a living.

I wish there was some sort of machine that could tell me what to do and I just focused on the drawing part.
>>
It's frustrating how difficult it can be sometimes. But how can you not enjoy it? The process of learning, improving and coming into your style feels uniquely amazing.
>>
File: tomb.jpg (174KB, 1000x600px) Image search: [Google]
tomb.jpg
174KB, 1000x600px
>>2796662
I don't think it matters but hey, I just made this
>>
>>2795807
I like drawing. I'd like it more if I was good at it, though.
>>
>>2796678
is that the fucking thing from dark crystal
>>
>>2796681
Sounds like you would do fine with commissions from other people or working as an professional illustrator.
>>
>>2796681
It's like a role reversal of man and machine.
>>
I've always wanted to make art my main hobby in life. And I enjoy it far too much, it can be frustrating at times but I love it.(as Nietzsche said suffering makes us stronger)

My hopes is by the end of 2017 to be working on digital art. I'm halfway through Betty Edward's book and I'm doing not to bad compared to what I was 2 weeks ago.(stick figures and autism)

Any who I know art can be long and frustrating at times and I know it will take my many hours until I can draw/paint like pic related; But I have the drive and the work ethic and I know it will be the greatest treasure in life when 4-5 years of long grinding and I can finally have the skill to actually do digital art at a very competent level.

Also you fuckers keep me going by calling my art shit and making me want to get better to prove you all wrong.

I love you stupid retarded faggots.
>>
>>2796141
It actually decently easy to adapt to another hand, spend 2 weeks exclusively on another hand and you're half way there.
>>
God dammit I'm trying to practice my fundies but there are fireworks playing outside. new year or some shit.
Can't a guy study in peace?
>>
>>2795807
No. But it makes me feel content while I'm working, and satisfied when I complete a piece. But fun, not really, maybe a little.
>>
File: 15.jpg (115KB, 1800x999px) Image search: [Google]
15.jpg
115KB, 1800x999px
>>2798929
Your post cheered me up. Thanks.
>>
>>2798970
Don't mention it anon. :]
>>
Sometimes.

About half the time I feel really good about it, the other half I get mad at anatomical mistakes and hate my own art and get discouraged.

I'm trying to get over it so I can actually improve. I used to really have fun drawing but not so much anymore.
>>
Not really, because I'm trash at it. But gitting gud isn't meant to be fun

Music is more fun for me, but equally frusturating. It's my main thing
>>
File: 3L5D9dv.png (185KB, 1000x1144px) Image search: [Google]
3L5D9dv.png
185KB, 1000x1144px
>>2795807
I used to. But depression fucked me up, and now I can't enjoy anything.

But I draw everyday anyway, people who stop because they lose motivation are pussies who can't have self-discipline

I-it's going to get better, r-right?
>>
>>2800618
man anon im in the same position. We can do it though!
>>
File: 1418404607741.jpg (80KB, 675x500px) Image search: [Google]
1418404607741.jpg
80KB, 675x500px
>>2795807
I don't know.
The fact that I want to be an animator and plan to go to university to study animation, yet I hardly ever draw now because whenever I try to I'm just stuck with a blank page and a mind full of stress which just puts me off completely is not at all healthy. The worst part is I'm aware of all this happening and I feel helpless to do anything about it.
I don't think I've ever had true satisfaction with any piece that I've made. I want to improve but I have no idea how, nor do I have the motivation or mindset to learn anything on my own.
With recent events following I feel as though drawing for me is becoming more of a burden in order to meet the demands of university portfolio criterias instead of drawing being fun.
It does not help with how envious and disheartened I become whenever I see someone else's art or animation and I either feel like shit because I've never done anything like that, or I just end up hating them simply because they're better than me.

If I was anyone else I'd probably hate drawing to the core and stop, but seeing how far I am now and the fact that everyone around me is depending on me to succeed, not to mention that I've convinced myself completely that this is what I want ever since early childhood and anything else would not be a life worth living I feel compelled to.
Also it could just be my mindset that's wrong so I don't think I have any grounds to stand on when it comes to deciding whether I love it or hate it.

I really don't know, but I'm gonna keep drawing and see where it goes (if it goes anywhere).
>>
File: Sketch8.png (228KB, 546x1031px) Image search: [Google]
Sketch8.png
228KB, 546x1031px
It's a mixed feeling right now I've been drawing for 2 years in a dedicated manner. I see the improvement both traditionally and digitally. But I still need to practice other aspects of drawing for me to feel comfortable with doing Everywhere I go I feel comfortable in certain spots. But overcoming it and doing it regardless of what others think is a pain. Going to post some sketch stuff.
>>
File: Sketch3.png (265KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Sketch3.png
265KB, 1366x768px
>>
>>2795807
>love art
>love drawing
>can't actually enjoy it because I'm a scrub and to stop being a scrub I have to read a lot of boring books and do a lot of boring exercises
life is pain
>>
File: sketch5.png (189KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
sketch5.png
189KB, 1366x768px
>>
File: Sketch 14.png (318KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Sketch 14.png
318KB, 1366x768px
>>
I love it, but I also hate it because I'm not able to draw most of my ideas decently.

That can makes me really depressed.
>>
the second I stopped caring about anatomy and getting good I started enjoying it again
>>
>>2800669
Post your ass
>>
>>2800669
How can you simply ignore something you know isn't good?

For me, it's like playing a game you love on the hardest difficult, where you die everytime. It's hard to enjoy it if you fail all the time.
>>
>>2800692
I don't know. I just do.
>>
>>2800694
I envy you.

Well, I guess I just need more antidepressants then.
>>
I don't really enjoy it, I just can't stop doing it.
>>
>>2796681
so you dont wanna be an artist, more like craftsman. nothing wrong with that
>>
File: New canvas.jpg (49KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
New canvas.jpg
49KB, 350x350px
I dread it and don't enjoy it most of the time. The only reason I put up with art is so I can eventually make a game that doesn't look like shit.

At the very least, I enjoy drawing silly faces.
>>
>>2795807
It's super fun when I have time. The problem is that I don't have the motivation to do it regularly. Ive been improving bit by bit though and that's what makes it worthwhile.
>>
when i sucked it was more stressful but now im more good and it's more fun
>>
>>2795807
No. I do it in order to become better so that I may have fun.
Right now it just feels like I have no control over the outcome of my work.
>>
gotta be in the mood to draw, but yea i like it. I hate how animation means drawing hundreads of pictures though
>>
>>2800651
You don't have the power to grant yourself a job in animation or a place in university, that is up to someone else. Your attitude however, that is something which is within your power to change.
>>
File: boob-wip.jpg (42KB, 668x653px) Image search: [Google]
boob-wip.jpg
42KB, 668x653px
>>2795807

Yes and no.

I have fun when I draw something fun, but 95+% of the time I'm studying or practicing and I'm not having that great of a time. I'm not really having a bad time either mind you but I'm not completely enthralled and can get distracted easily as a result. Progress is slow. It doesn't look like I'm going to make it, but I'm not going to go down without a fight either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Sr3BAu-zLk
>>
File: tfw sad.jpg (118KB, 599x599px) Image search: [Google]
tfw sad.jpg
118KB, 599x599px
>>2795807
I used to.

The more I find out about art, the more art I see that is so far beyond I can do it might as well have been made by an alien, the more I struggle with something I clearly suck at and feel like I'm being dragged down instead of surfacing, the less I like it.

It's not fun anymore. It's not fulfilling anymore. It's not even something I can see myself doing for a living anymore.

I mean, if I can't fucking follow a tutorial and come up with a similar piece like a fucking monkey could do with the necessary training, what hope can I have in such a competitive market?

I am thinking of giving up entirely this year. I'll disappoint some people, and I'm not looking forwards to the conversation with my friends and my art teacher, who is also my friend, but I think I wasted enough money and time.
>>
Yeah, I do enjoy it but I'm not gonna lie and say it's full on happiness 99% of the time. Most of the time is either being frustrated or just content with what I'm working or studying on, but once I start seeing results and am happy with wth what I got it's a fuckin good feeling, and it makes it worthwhile in the end.
>>
>>2801179

So your satisfaction with art was contingent upon becoming a professional to impress the people around you?
>>
>>2801245
It was more about thinking that I could do it. Of course I could, I didn't know shit. Seeing superior artists, watching them work, has given me perspective on what drawing really is, and how far from it I actually was.

I guess I do on some level want the attention, but it was also about putting my thoughts on paper. The fact that I can't do it, and retroactively know now that I never could, has worn away at me for many years by now, and I'm not a young man anymore. I need to get my head out of this and move on.

Ultimately, drawing just doesn't feel good to me anymore. It's an exercise in feeling inferior, in comparing myself to something I can't possibly be and trust me, sticking to an activity like that with this mindset ravages your self-esteem. I spent a good three months legitimately depressed. Didn't think of suicide or anything like that, but I just didn't see the point of doing anything.

tl;dr: I wanted to draw shit, and it got me sick.
>>
Hard to say, I've been drawing my entire life so to me it's kinda like breathing, eating or pooping. I do still get frustrated with it sometimes, but what I do like is getting into that zen like place where everything else dissapears except the act of drawing (yeah, I know that sounds pretty gay, but that's how it is) Never pursued any other skills, went to college for art... so if I don't keep drawing I'm fucked.
>>
>>2801269
>Ultimately, drawing just doesn't feel good to me anymore. It's an exercise in feeling inferior, in comparing myself to something I can't possibly be and trust me, sticking to an activity like that with this mindset ravages your self-esteem. I spent a good three months legitimately depressed. Didn't think of suicide or anything like that, but I just didn't see the point of doing anything.
>tl;dr: I wanted to draw shit, and it got me sick.

Yup, that sounds about right. Sometimes I wish I was one of those oblivious nutjobs from DeviantArt that seem to enjoy drawing no matter how horrible they are. Practice is always depressing because instead of focusing on enjoying myself I'm focusing on the years of training ahead of me. After a while, that shit starts to hurt.

Recently I've stopped studies altogether. I just don't have the willpower anymore; it seems so futile. Hell, these days I have a hard enough time just getting myself to doodle. For my own sanity, I'm hoping I can slowly improve by drawing casually everyone once in a while, until one day I have the willpower to do studies again.
>>
>>2801462
>Recently I've stopped studies altogether.
Do you only ever do studies or do you use what you study for a larger work?
>>
>>2795807
i guess the most accurate answer you could give is that it's fun enough that you can white knuckle through the parts that aren't fun at all.

that being said if you just want to pursue greatness in the abstract it'll be uphill all the way. if you can't enjoy drawing for the sake of drawing regardless of progress then it'll be unbelievably miserable. you'll be waiting for a day that won't come b/c your sense of what's good scales with your skill level always out of reach

a lot of improving as an artist is the mentality you have towards it since that's where your motivation comes from. so unless if art is something that you can return to -- bad day, good day, rain, shine, whatever then you just aren't as likely to "make it"
>>
>>2801771
Typically, I'd study areas that I need help with. For example, I've done plenty of figure drawing in the past, but I still struggle with arm muscles, facial structure and hands. So I would practice by--what else--sitting down and drawing dozens of arms, faces and hands from reference.

These days, if I want to draw something, I'll try to draw it from imagination first, and if one part is really bugging me I'll find a reference for it and draw it again. I'm still learning this way, but I feel like I could be improving faster if I took the time to study these things in detail.
>>
File: 2f7.jpg (28KB, 601x508px) Image search: [Google]
2f7.jpg
28KB, 601x508px
I do, yes.
But there's nothing left of what made me pursuit it in the first place. I must've lost something along the way, I don't even know what it was.
>>
>>2795807
I do two freelance jobs. One is writing and the other one is illustrating. I found that I like spending 6 hours on one drawing than writing. So yes, I enjoy it very much. Even if I find it hard and frustrating at times.
>>
>pooping
kek
>>
>>2795820
This
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.