[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

sai, Photoshop or mngastudio

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 15

File: 1482586954381.jpg (60KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1482586954381.jpg
60KB, 640x640px
sai, Photoshop or mngastudio
>>
me on the right
>>
I like sai's pen control and lines, but photoshop looks more like real paints, with great brushes and strokes.

Never heard of the other one.
>>
I used Sai for a pretty long time until I was confined to a mac that was too shitty to run wine (the program that lets you open windows .exe's) and used clip studio since I picked it up for $15 bucks ages ago.

Clip studio definitely has a lot more to offer than Sai does from what I've explored so far (perspective rulers, frequent updates, 3D-models even, if you ever feel the need to go that route), but even it seems to pale in comparison to the plethora of tools photoshop has.

That being said, you can do almost the same quality of art in all three programs, albeit with different processes. I'm not sure how the brushes in each compare to each other though.

>>2794760
manga studio == clip studio paint, its just a rebranding/renaming I'm pretty sure.
>>
SAi has the best user experience but PS has the best tools
I have no idea about manga studio
>>
>>2794752
Heil Photoshop.
>>
>>2794752
Started with Sai and currently photoshop.
Since I explore with diffrent artstyles I like PS more.
A lot more tools and tutorials I feel.
>>
Ps is overall a more robust program.

Sai is more user friendly, and is SUPER light weight when it comes to computer processing power, so if either of those is more valuable, its good for you.
>>
>>2794752
Clip studio paint. Millions, I mean MILLIONS of settings and tools. Great for illustration and fucking PERFECT for comics. Cheap too.
>>
>>2795088
are there photoshop like brushes for csp?
>>
>>2794752
I started with Sai and moved to clip studio (manga studio). Can't seem to get a feel for Photoshop though.
Clip studio is really close to Photoshop and cheaper. However, you can do the same art with any of the three, provided you're willing to learn.
>>
File: ms-paint.png (86KB, 740x493px) Image search: [Google]
ms-paint.png
86KB, 740x493px
>>2794752
MSPaint
>>
Manga studio is my favorite, photoshop is too bloated and runs like garbage.
>>
i usually sketch and do general drawings in clip/manga studio, but when it comes to painting i prefer photoshop. It really just comes down to preference desu desu
>>
>>2794752
loomis
>>
>>2795088
>>2795247

this.

painting in photoshop is literally like painting with a rock. drawing, and painting in manga studio is so much better, and easier

photoshop is for photo editing mainly, even though you can create with it, and it has a ton of features.

workflow: MangaStudio -> Adobe
>>
>>2795247
>Clip studio paint. Millions, I mean MILLIONS of settings and tools.
>photoshop too bloated

What?
>>
>>2795941
Stop saying "photoshop is for x mainly" when you know very well that pretty much every industry professional uses photoshop.
>>
>>2794752
I've only used photoshop and manga studio, I like manga studio better. Also, I don't do animu stuff, so my opinion is more valid
>>
>>2795959
>hurr photoshop is not for photos
>>
SAI is the most user/beginner friendly.
Photoshop is pretty intensive but it's also very useful for stuff like paintings and editing.
ClipStudio is good for illustration and comics.

They're all tools m8, there's no "definitive' one. It's more of how you use it, rather than what you use.
That being said, SAI and Photoshop would be the usual go to ones for artist who are starting, because SAI is, as said before, beginner friendly and Photoshop has about fucking 100,000 videos on Youtube and other websites on how to use it. Clip Studio? Not so many. But if you're already experienced with digital art then you shouldn't have much problem getting into it.
>>
>>2795247
agreed.
when it comes to lineart and color mixing, clip studio shits all over photoshop. it's simply a better software for illustrators.
>>
>>2795978
It clearly isn't MAINLY for photo editing if pretty much every professional illustrator and concept artist uses it and does excellent work with it you fucking dimwit.
>>
File: tumblr_o6m0oy27oS1qgsw73o1_540.jpg (121KB, 767x540px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o6m0oy27oS1qgsw73o1_540.jpg
121KB, 767x540px
>>2795987
Your work must be so much better than that of all those hacks using photoshop, right?
>>
File: 1463001559527.jpg (1MB, 1125x1575px) Image search: [Google]
1463001559527.jpg
1MB, 1125x1575px
>>2795987
Can you post some examples of illustrations done in clip studio that really show off how much better of a program it is compared to Photoshop? Pic related is an illustration done in Photoshop, just for comparison's sake.
>>
>>2795994
>>2796005
>because programs triumphs over artistic skills and is the basis of how good an art is
>this is what photoshitfags believes

kek
>>
>>2794752
i use mangastudio, color mixing is more intuitive for me.
>>
>>2796010
Except I believe the exact opposite you moron. You cannot post a single image done in clip studio that shows off how superior of a software it is to Photoshop based on the end result, so clearly the program doesn't matter nearly as much as YOU pretend it does.
>>
>>2796016
>Except I believe the exact opposite
>still ask to post pictures as basis of how good an art is based on what programs it's used

kek X2
>>
>>2795994
>>2796005
wait. you guys are butthurt because people express their opinions about a program. I know out there is a ton of people better than me that would draw much better illustrations than me both in photoshop and in clip studio.
skill>>>>>software

you really make 0 sense.

I'm speaking from personal experience. it's simply a fact that clip studio has better brush tools for lineart (it simply has more options for pressure sensitivity than photoshop) and it has a more advanced color mixing engine.
if you can prove me wrong, please go ahead. showing me awesome art done in photoshop won't change what I said.
>>
File: sergey-kolesov-emily-badass-pose.jpg (325KB, 1920x1103px) Image search: [Google]
sergey-kolesov-emily-badass-pose.jpg
325KB, 1920x1103px
>>2796019
Are you legitimately retarded or something? YOU keep saying Photoshop is shit and Clip Studio is superior. So either you can post an actual example backing up YOUR claims, or you have to admit that Photoshop is just fine and it's all about the individual artistic skill, which is the point I am making here.
>>
Has anyone used Krita?
>>
>>2796024
can you please read again what I said:
>when it comes to lineart and color mixing

(you are responding to a different anon that is just laughing at your pretty stupid comparison, where you posted art from a skilled artist as some kind of proof that photoshop and clip studio aren't different at all and ALL that matters are skills (which has nothing to do with what I said at the beginning).

I pointed out what aspects of clip studio I prefer over photoshop.
I can post my art, which isn't on par with Ruan Jia's, and you will prove nothing.
>>
>>2796024
>want good line stabilizer? install lazy nezumi
>want good color wheel? install coolorus
>want a good way to mix like how analog medium works? just do this, set this thing here, place dial on number 482
>want to use with a shitty comp? tough luck
>claims it's still better than programs that already has those

kek X3
>>
>>2796023
>showing me awesome art done in photoshop won't change what I said.

No, but your inability to post a single work done in clip studio that is inherently superior to great illustrations done in photoshop proves that you don't need any of the tools clip studio has over photoshop in order to make good digital art. Thus it doesn't "shit all over photoshop". It merely has a bunch of fairly irrelevant tools and features that you happen to like.

Nothing wrong with having personal preferences, but you faggots always make generalizing statements pretending ALL illustrators who use Photoshop are somehow stupid for not using your prefered program of choice when clearly, they don't need any of the tools you like about Clip Studio in order to make good art.
>>
File: tumblr_odxnhw4fNv1sqh0kno1_1280.jpg (343KB, 1280x1184px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_odxnhw4fNv1sqh0kno1_1280.jpg
343KB, 1280x1184px
>>2796040
>lazy nezumi

kek. The reason why you suck so much at drawing is exactly because you keep relying on shitty built-in stabilizer tools in these "superior" softwares. No artist who draws nice lineart in photoshop uses lazy nezumi. That's why their lines look so much better than the ultra smooth anime garbage drawn in SAI and Clip Studio.
>>
>>2796047
>doesn't know every drawing program actually has it's inherent stabilizer
>believes that photoshop doesn't have it when it's actually it's inherent stabilizer is just shit
>being this stupid
>trying to kek too to hide his bloo bloo bloo

kek X4
>>
File: night_elves.jpg (622KB, 514x900px) Image search: [Google]
night_elves.jpg
622KB, 514x900px
>>2796041
clip studio's brushes shit over photoshop when it comes to lineart and color mixing.
meaning that they improve your workflow. I'm speaking from experience. I've been using photoshop for like 8 years and then I switched to clip studio and instantly noticed that is simply better for lineart and that you can actually mix colors together like you would with traditional media. photoshop simply can't do what clip studio (or even sai when it comes to colors) can. that's my whole point.
it's not that you can't achieve good results with photoshop, you just can't do some things with photoshop that are easily done in clip studio.

I'm attaching my art. when it comes to coloring I'm pretty much a scrub, but my lineart is decent.
>>
File: Alika_x_Varo-Tag_p2c.jpg (4MB, 1500x2647px) Image search: [Google]
Alika_x_Varo-Tag_p2c.jpg
4MB, 1500x2647px
>>2796051
pic attached only lineart.
just showing you what I can't achieve in photoshop. at least not in such a fast and organic manner. the options that clip studio provides when doing lineart are just better. the level of precision and natural feel I can get while using clip studio I simply can't in photoshop. if you want to emulate natural media in photoshop you have to do much more steps to refine your lineart. with clip studio is much more natural and fast. just because of the brush engine.
>>
File: 53744961_p0.jpg (2MB, 1488x2104px) Image search: [Google]
53744961_p0.jpg
2MB, 1488x2104px
>>2794752
All just preference. When it comes to actual limitations, SAI suffers the most-- brush engine isn't as robust and max document size is rather small. CSP and PS have even less difference when it comes to color mixing now, considering CSP recently pushed an update for pen pressure opacity (instead of only pen pressure density). PS CC has mixer brush which allows for more "traditional" color mixing as well so really the two can mimic the behavior of the other rather easily. If you're looking for more robust community support, PS has that in spades. CSP community is primarily japanese so if you don't really follow those scenes you might have some trouble finding fancy materials-- this is rectified a bit with the recent merger of the JP CSP materials site with the international CSP materials site allowing for downloads from international installations.

If you're a painter, it doesn't really matter what you use-- both of them can do opacity or traditional color mixing rather well. If you're interested in making comics, I'd probably use CSP since there is a plethora of manga tools that make life a bit easier for page management and layout. The truth is, though, as someone who's used both extensively, I use both CSP and PS at the same time when I work. CSP can saved as a psd anyway so it's not like there's any trouble switching back and forth. I will say that CSP tends to run faster than PS

>>2796051
You'd be right a couple iterations of PS ago but that's not quite the case now. You don't need to do smudge brush hacks to mix in PS anymore since the mixer brush exists.

In the end, I think all of it just comes down the artist. People like to give SAI a lot of shit but I've seen some artists do amazing work in it. The software is just another tool for you to use. Use whatever you feel is comfortable. I have a hard time believing any program is the best at everything, so go explore other programs to see what you like.

Pic semi-related: painted in SAI
>>
File: 40134674_p0.png (2MB, 1066x1491px) Image search: [Google]
40134674_p0.png
2MB, 1066x1491px
>>2796056
Pic semi-related: painted in CSP
>>
>>2796056
then maybe it's time to try photoshop ag... oh no wait, there's also the matter that clip studio costs nothing compared to Photoshop. I guess I'll stick to clip studio.
>>
>>2794752
would you use a program that names itself for it's actual uses which is PHOTO editing? or would you rather use program that names itself for actual painting like PAINT tool sai and clip studio PAINT. :^)
>>
>>2796056
oh, forgot to ask this. has photoshop implemented a stroke speed feature for its brushes? like a velocity feature, where the fastest your stroke is the thinner or more transparent the lines are.
this is currently what makes clip studio light years ahead of photoshop for me. plus clip studio simply running faster than photoshop on my machine.
>>
File: 24209714_p0.jpg (456KB, 1280x1795px) Image search: [Google]
24209714_p0.jpg
456KB, 1280x1795px
>>2796070
Unfortunately no, it's not built into the program. However, lazy nezumi does offer this feature.

>>2796063
As far as price tag goes, CSP definitely give insane value for what it offers over PS. PS is also now a part of the creative suite now too, I believe, which means it's subscription based now. I'm not sure if that matters for most people here since I'm sure they will just pirate PS anyway.

Pic semi-related: painted in PS
>>
>>2794752
source of picture anyone?
>>
>>2794752
having used photoshop, sai and clipstudio i will say

sai: super light weight and easy to use, great
clipstudio: complete package of everything you could ever want to make comics, great
photatoshop: two words: brush projection

try em all out if you can, find the one that works best for you
>>
>>2796074
that's the issue anon, adobe charged way too much for photoshop cs6 and so everyone pirated it, so instead of lowering the price to something that wasn't bad shit insane, they made it subscription based, everything is equally (if not more) expensive as earlier, but now they want a constant stream of cash from users who have been loyal to adobe for years.

they also did this because now, everyone is realizing that adobe is a sack of shit that releases buggy, sometimes malware infested products. the two times I tried making animations in flash, the program would freeze, crash, delete saves etc. almost religiously. so why the fuck would I want to keep using that, when I could buy the significantly cheaper toon boom and just do the same type of animation there

by making it subscription based, they've made it way harder to pirate it, in cs6, you could pirate it once, use a schemey as hell licensing trick to unlock it,and you'd be good to go. now, you have to registrate your product like monthly, and it has to be done through the creative cloud

all in all, Adobe is a scum bucket of a company who will fuck over anyone in order to make a profit, and despite them dying as a company, they make more and more bold decisions in order to screw over the customer, and keep themselves afloat
>>
>>2796264
also, the flash format that they insist you export with is cancerous, no one uses it anymore, and someone needs to shoot it in the back of the head already
>>
>>2796264
photoshop cc is like $10usd monthly with their photographer's bundle which is cheaper than what i spend on pencils in the same amount of time
>>
>>2795232

On the japanese website. You can make your own easily, too.
>>
>>2795991

>I don't care they selling overpriced shit, it's muh industry standard
>muh wacom cinteech
>muh copic
>muh PS
>>
>>2796047
Unreadable garbage. But the program handled it very well.
>>
File: doodles.jpg (83KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
doodles.jpg
83KB, 1280x960px
>>2796033
I love Krita's brushes. Makes the crappiest drawings look amazing.
>>
>>2794752
photoshop crashed on me a lot but it's good as long as you keep the document small size (not 500mb~ and more).

krita isn't done but works to for painting not photo editing (yet). the good thing is you can donate the price of adobe CC and request the devs for the feature you want to be added and they'll try.
bonus if you know how to code, you can add features yourself

If you want lightweight and way better try opencanvas instead of sai.
>>
>>2796752
you should really get some standards.
>>
>>2796653
i tried to make my own, but it was confusing
i'll check the japanese website thanks
>>
The best things about CSP are the lineart vector editing tools and the perspective rulers.
>>
>>2796752
Krita is cool, but I really mis the ability to switch between an eraser and a brush that aren't identical.
>>
File: 1482408368148.png (5KB, 415x416px) Image search: [Google]
1482408368148.png
5KB, 415x416px
>>2797288
The krita devs are stuck in this contradictory mental tug of war where they think that Erase should be implemented as just another blending mode, no different from Multiply or Greater or Behind, yet they also think that Erase should get some special usability privileges, since users invoke Erase much more often than other blending modes.

In the end, what users get is the hacked-together "Eraser switch X" nonsense and the "/" key workaround: a cluttered half-assed mess that tries to make Krita like feel and behave like it has a standalone eraser tool, but without any of the advantages of a standalone eraser tool.

The devs could take this nonsense to its logical conclusion and maybe implement an "Eraser switch brush" checkbox, which could then logically be consolidated into a standalone Eraser tool. But the devs won't do this because Erase -- like Multiply and Co. -- is just another blending mode. It just so happens that Erase is very frequently used. For whatever reason :)
>>
>>2797245
not gonna make it
>>
>>2794752
Photoshop is industry standard.
The rest is fine for a hobby.
>>
>>2798161
gr8b8m8
>>
>>2794752
GIMP
>>
>>2798351
I rel8, str8 appreci8, and congratul8.
>>
>>2794752
i just wanrt to say that the asian girl is really kawaii and I want to comfort and make babies with her
>>
>>2797938
Perspective tools are the best thing clip studio has over the others. After learning all about perspective you simply use it to make straight but natural looking lines. Its a very handy tool.
>>
>>2794752
I used photoshop just because the knowledge base is way bigger.
>>
How do you guys feel about Krita, compared to Photoshop / SAI / Clip Studio Paint?
>>
Corel Painter ofc.
>>
>>2803611

I could finally make it run with the latest update.

It's laggier than photoshop.

Anyways, I don't have the right to shit on people that makes a hell of a job and charge you nothing.
>>
>>2803611
Use it for 2 years now, and it does the Job for me.
took a while since I've figured some things out tho
It's good for painting, I've rarely had lag issues with it and the brush engine is pretty good and there are already lots of nice brushes.
just my experience
>>
>>2803611
Krita has an inhuma UX
>>
>>2803670
The only post I like in this thread
>>
>>2794752
I use FireAlpaca, but I liked Sai a lot. I just couldn't get the pen pressure to ever cooperate for me on Sai.
>>
Sai for Lineart
PS for everything else
>>
File: 5jdgg62.jpg (720KB, 1590x2100px) Image search: [Google]
5jdgg62.jpg
720KB, 1590x2100px
I am shit at art but I like better manga studio. Downloaded great brushes imitating oil/acrylic/traditional media.

pic related, my shit art (used ref for the face)
>>
>>2796010
Going off him, if magastudio was so good then why don't big time artists use it despite it being much cheaper than photoshop?
>>
is there any visual comparison to show how sai line art is better?
>>
try medibang it's free, and you can publishy our stuff,
sketchbook pro has gotten better,
krita

but if you had to pick between ps and csp, photoshop all the way (industry standard and all)
>>
I'm using FireAlpaca, which is supposedly similar to SAI and also free. I'm happy with it for now, no harm in trying it out.
>>
>>2803670
Sadly all the resources for painter are made by shitheads who paint over photos and call them paintings or can't draw out of a paperbag or old ladies who dab with the brushes and pretend they are making anything of worth. Painter for whatever reason is quite popular in China land. Very hard to come across good documentation on the program.
>>
>>2795242
>pic related
n-no fuckin way
>>
>>2795959
the industry use Photoshop because all the teachers and formators use it because... all their teachers used it.

Also it was the only programe for apple fags and during the 90 apple was the best shit for designers.

BTW
>>
I was expecting clip studio go for 70% off on end year sale and i got nothing.
Fucking nips.
>>
>>2794752
I like Krita.
>>
>>2805905
SAI is better because it has line stabilizers, you can how ever download this for PS too. But CSP has a much more precise inking, it's better in that aspect then both SAI and PS. It's something it's hard to visually show, but you'll certainly feel it when you draw!
>>
>>2795242
N-no rules only tools?
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.