[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Cintiq worth it?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 11

File: wacom.jpg (46KB, 630x427px) Image search: [Google]
wacom.jpg
46KB, 630x427px
I've been using my small Intuos for years. But despite the experience I have with it I still feel like I can draw quicker and better using traditional tools.

Would upgrading to a screen tablet benefit me in any way? Did anyone here ever feel a noticeable shift in "quality" between tools?
>>
File: overhand_down.jpg (12KB, 400x263px) Image search: [Google]
overhand_down.jpg
12KB, 400x263px
Also, there's no tablet pen that I can hold like this while drawing, right?

I know there's an "art pen" of some sorts but I don't think it effects tilt/rotation that much. I use this hold quite often for gesture
>>
>>2790804
my mobilestudio pro 16 set to come in wednesday..
>>
Faster workflow will definitely be apparent and it will motivate you more to do digital drawings than using tablet.
>>
File: nup-114129-0040.jpg (39KB, 750x541px) Image search: [Google]
nup-114129-0040.jpg
39KB, 750x541px
Do you NEED one for pretty much anything (including professional work)?
No.

Should you get one if you are serious about art and you can afford it without it costing you your leg and a kidney?
Yes.

I bought a used ass WX12 for 200 bucks. It has poor resolution and washed out colors both affecting quality of my work and and it was still worth it just because of how comfortable drawing on screen is compared to intuos.
So much so that it actually has increased amount if time I spend drawing daily.

Having one more screen helps in general too.
>>
>>2790801
>>2790817
Just got a WX12, also having color problems, still fucking worth it, drawing digitally feels way more fun to me.
>>
File: fb.jpg (372KB, 1689x640px) Image search: [Google]
fb.jpg
372KB, 1689x640px
the cintiq companion 2 and cintiq 27qhd both cost about the same. which one is more worth it in your opinion?
>>
File: me face, me soul.png (69KB, 571x351px) Image search: [Google]
me face, me soul.png
69KB, 571x351px
>buy a 6.2 x 3.9 inch small to use on your 11.3 x 20 inch monitor or whatever because "you're a beginner" and you "don't want to spend a lot of money"

>"Wow, this really blows for reasons no one could possibly have predicted in advance, I guess my only option now is to 'get serious' and buy a $3000 tablet with a screen on it."

>>2790817
>how comfortable drawing on screen is compared to intuos.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placebo

>It has poor resolution and washed out colors

To mitigate its deficiencies as a display, you could consider trying to use it as a conventional tablet-switching to your "main" monitor and drawing with it there instead. Its active area is bit bigger than an Intuos Medium. Depending on your monitor it's probably not "big enough", mind you, but because of its abysmal color and low resolution I think its screen would make a much better dock for your software's various toolbars than something you actually draw on.

If you have a 15.6 inch monitor or less it probably won't be too bad. Give it a shot, I promise you drawing on an Intuos is more comfortable than sieg heiling at a Cintiq all day.
>>
>>2790801
Cintiq's are great but I wouldn't recommend them unless you were a professional with a good amount of income just due to the price alone.

Feel free to check out my review, hopefully it helps:

https://www.artsartreviews.com/2016/06/14/wacom-cintiq-22hd/
>>
>>2790921
>placebo

Are you legally retarded?

What fucking contortions did your brain go trough to rationalize not having your strokes appear a goddamn meter away from your pen as a mere placebo?

Yeah sure you can get used to it but there is no reason to waste your braincells if you can actually afford to avoid this cancer.

You are like a fucknut who is calling people who sit in their cars weak placebofaggots while driving yours from the roof mr. Bean style.
>>
No.
>>
>>2790950
It's confirmation bias is what it is. Post-hoc rationalizations for spending 2600 dollars. Sunk cost fallacy. Self-hypnosis. The individual wants the cintiq to be the magic bullet that cures his impotence, therefore it is.

Also parallax is worse than relative position.
>>
I worked for years with an intuos as my main tool and yeah, now that I have a pen monitor its way better. But wacom? Well it depends. If you are a full time professional artist with a shitload of money to spend, go for it. For any other kind of artist its just not worth it. There are a lot of less expensive pen monitor alternatives that would do the job just fine (monoprice, ugee, uc logic, yiynova) just do a little research and buy one that meets your needs.
>>
>>2790804
Wacom pens have tilt, along with the apple pencil which works with the ipad pro. I'm not sure if it works to that degree but it does have the shape of a normal pencil, so it might. If you want a portable tablet with a display, I honestly recommend it. Wacom's answer to it is 2-3x the price.
>>
>>2790875
Thats a strange question buddy

Normal Cintiq is just a screen that you use with your normal PC. Massive screen that will probably take all of free space on your desk.
Cintiq Companion is a standalone hardware with its own processor, RAM and shit, and the only reason you'd want it is if you need a portable device to, I guess, draw outside or something. And its tiny.
>>
File: 1456293425324.jpg (72KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1456293425324.jpg
72KB, 800x800px
>>2790804
Just tried it out with a Cintiq and it can work to certain extent, main issues:

1) pen needs to be angled at 15 degrees or steeper, otherwise the pressure doesnt get registered correctly (so if you put your Cintiq fairly vertically it should work fine)
2) wasnt very comfortable for me, Wacom pens have that bulge near the business end that gets in the way; you could remove the fat rubber padding from the pen though if you really want to, that would make things easier
>>
>>2790921
I can see where you're coming from but I wouldn't call myself a beginner, at least considering I've used tablets for years, My first one was a Chinese tablet that died within a year, I didn't know shit about quality so at the time I thought it was as good as i gets. Then I managed to borrow a bamboo for a year, was amazed with it, Ended up getting myself an Intuos a few months after returning the bamboo, because I had to have one myself (had it for nearly 6 years now).

Now I thought about upgrading and the most logical upgrade would be to something with a screen (at least in my eyes, I still don't know if it'll be worth it in the long run, or that I'll enjoy drawing on it as much as I think I would [heard the screen is warm, and gets even worse in summer] but be sure I'll experience with a display model on store and check everything before I make my mind. Heck this is why I made the thread to begin with).

I don't think I'm imagining drawing faster on paper - it's simply what I see. I need to rework my sketches constantly on different layers when I'm using the tablet, with a pencil I make cleaner, faster sketches with ease.

Thanks for your opinions guys, very helpful so far.
>>
File: heard u was talkin' shit.jpg (32KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
heard u was talkin' shit.jpg
32KB, 600x450px
>>2790950
>What fucking contortions did your brain go trough to rationalize not having your strokes appear a goddamn meter away from your pen as a mere placebo?

The ones involved with drawing and having experience with a wide variety of different tablets, my nigga.

>Yeah sure you can get used to it but there is no reason to waste your braincells if you can actually afford to avoid this cancer.

It's a very common compulsion to reflexively bring up the "you must be poor" thing when someone dogs something nice you've bought but it's a tool, not a status symbol; don't take it personally. I could buy the Cintiq 27QHD six times over if I wanted, but I choose not to-I already own a 12WX I don't use because of many of the "eccentricities" cited by >>2790817 .

The 27QHD is a vastly superior machine to the 12WX, but the ergonomics are similar. The real point is though, that Wacom, Huion etc. have a lot of tablet models that basically ought not even exist, yet they end up being the most popular by a large margin (because of their barely reduced price). People come to believe the deficiencies of these specific tablets are a common design flaw, rather than one with the specific model they'd purchased.

>You are like a fucknut who is calling people who sit in their cars weak placebofaggots while driving yours from the roof mr. Bean style.

Not an argument; I'm just a guy that honestly wants the best for his /ic/ crew. I wouldn't invite myself to rant in almost every tablet thread to no one in particular otherwise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCHE0Tjw6MA
>>
>>2791280
What do you recommend then?
>>
File: fig newton.jpg (36KB, 604x659px) Image search: [Google]
fig newton.jpg
36KB, 604x659px
>>2791440

As someone for whom money isn't much of an issue (in this case, anyway) I'm very happy with my "Intuos Large + Laptop" setup. The Intuos Large is close enough to a laptop's screen in size (I'd recommend a 17-inch "desktop replacement" with good specs of course) that I get something approaching a Cintiq in precision, but my arms and neck get to remain in a relaxed position (I have a laptop cooler that raises the computer off the desk a bit) and I have very easy access to the keyboard which would otherwise be obstructed by a Cintiq.

I also have a 23 inch secondary monitor for references, toolbars, movies/internet or whatever else I'm using to procrastinate at a given moment. You can get all of that for around what a Cintiq 22HD costs alone; I think it's one of the most effective, and cost-effective setups you can have. I'd say it's possibly even worth building your battlestation around if it can't accommodate it as-is (new desk).

Unfortunately the Intuos Large has a very big footprint that extends like 2 and a half to 3 inches in either direction from its active area, a laptop or a very thin monitor (like on a wall-mount) and keyboard is often necessary depending on your desk.
>>
File: me on the right.jpg (225KB, 979x734px) Image search: [Google]
me on the right.jpg
225KB, 979x734px
>>2792465
>>
>>2792468
that looks like a bitch to reach your hotkeys
>>
>>2791280
By the way, you are very knowledgeable about tablets. I recommend you writing a book and putting it up on the kindle store. Much bucks will be brought your way because "what tablet should I get?" comes up a lot (as you can tell) and you writing books on tablets would be a better time spent than living on /ic/ sharing your experience.

Just giving you a good idea.
>>
>>2790801
Here's my experience. I have a large intuos and a cintiq 27. Basically it's helped my drawing because I have much more space to draw and obviously it's easier because it feels better. So is it worth it? If you're going to create art for a living then yes. It's costly but see it as an investment for your career and money saved by not going to art school. My two cents.
>>
>>2792488
It's not as great a distance as it looks. With my elbow rested on that folded towel there I can very comfortably reach across most of my keyboard.

>>2792491
I don't know about a book, but maybe I'll make an infographic or a youtube video or something so I can prevent myself from compulsively writing an autistic essay every time the subject comes up-or just stop doing it entirely. It doesn't take all that long but shitposting in such a manner can't be good for my gains in either case.

>>2792500
While I choose not to use them myself, I have to concede that the larger Cintiq models at least provide you with more effective screen real estate to draw on. As a monitor expands in size beyond that 17-20 inch sweet spot the Intuos Large or Giano start to falter in the same way that the smaller models do, and a screen tablet then becomes a more attractive option however over-extravagant they might otherwise be.

That said, 17 inches on a laptop is actually a pretty good sized monitor in its own right and I don't really think more is all that desirable for drawing in all honesty. Ergonomically speaking, it's just more ground your arm has to cover. You can get a large second monitor for your tool dockers, references and media etc. at a very small fraction of the price.
>>
What about smaller cintiqs? 13hd and the old 12" model for example? Not worth it based on surface area alone?
>>
>>2792465
OP here
I already have a strong desktop for 3D work, always disliked working on laptops. Sadly, your solution won't work in my case.
I don't know if you type similar responses to anyone that asks about Cintiqs in this board but as already mentioned I'm not a beginner wanting a cintiq as their first tablet, all I want are opinions on the product/replacements, or perhaps cheaper alts. I appreciate the help though
>>
>>2792564
While they are preferable to many of the smaller Intuos models, you are essentially paying a premium to draw on a screen that is likely much smaller than the one you're already using. It honestly doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

>>2792741
I'm not suggesting what I am with any pretentions of you being a beginner, but you'd asked whether or not a Cintiq or an alternative screen tablet would benefit you and I'm just telling you in my personal experience it did not really benefit me when I was in your exact situation. I'm simply offering my interpretation of why that might be based on what you've said so far.

The take-away point in your specific case is that a big part of the problem you're having drawing in digital vs traditional is likely that you're using an Intuos Small. The Small compacts the entirety of whatever the size your current monitor is into a tiny 6.2 x 3.9 inch drawing surface. So for example if you're using a 20 inch monitor (15.75 x 12.60), each stroke you make physically on the tablet will be displayed at well over twice that size in your software. Our motor skills and manual dexterity can only get so refined as it is and the fact the Intuos Small is a little under half as wide and a third as tall as a typical monitor makes it "less than ideal" to put it mildly-and it only gets worse the bigger the monitor is.

...so yeah, a Cintiq would definitely be an improvement over what you have now, but so would pretty much anything else. I'm suggesting an Intuos Large (or a Huion Giano) as a lower cost alternative to a Cintiq that I think will suit you just as well, however you don't have to justify buying a Cintiq to me or anyone else if you really want one, either.

I really wanted one once, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipUtBcOpSB0
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.