[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Question Thread:

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 324
Thread images: 77

If you don't know where to start, read the sticky.

>>1579290

For critiques about your work, go to the corresponding thread.

>>2789616 - Beginner thread
>>2790158 - Draw thread
>>2782240 - Alternative Art/Stylization General

Please refrain from making your threads if you only have a single question.
>>
I just want to draw cute anime girls, why i can't just draw cute anime girls ?
>>
File: WP_20161224_001.png (1MB, 750x1000px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20161224_001.png
1MB, 750x1000px
Can you recommend me some books or give some general advice about working with acrylic paints?

I got on X-mas pic related: it's a tabletop box easel with some brushes, knife, palette and 18 different acrylic paints.
I can't wait to actually test it out, but I'm a bit afraid of ruining my canvas - I've never painted with real paints before, usually I work digitally. And sticky focuses more on learning how to draw, rather than how to paint traditionally.
>>
>>2790455
Canvases are made to be used, experimented on, reused, thrown away, etc. Treat it like a slightly more expensive sketchbook.

If you know how to draw, then stick to your guns. Set up a reaaaally easy still life with simple lighting, and draw it on the canvas. Don't do any rendering, but rather map out where shadows will be with simple statements.

An easy way to start is to begin with the local colors of objects. So if you have a red apple, then mix a color that closely resembles the overall color of the apple. Then paint an easy shadow tone of the apple by adding some of the local color's complement. In this case green. Add in a background and more shadows if needed. Boom first painting done.

Don't worry about being accurate at this stage, get used to the PROCESS of painting. You will get more accurate and better over time by reading books and doing more paintings.

Also, keep things simple. Don't worry about edges, rather worry about getting values and graphic shapes right before getting into rendering. If you get an abstract lay in of shadow shapes to look like an eye, then rendering will be a cake walk.
>>
>>2790500
Thanks! Those tips are really appreciated, especially your advice to start with local color.
When I'll finish my simple still life I'll post it in draw thread.
>>
How do I do practice figure drawing digitally without cramping up or having wrong proportions? I draw on a Macbook Air with a Wacom tablet and whenever I practice anatomy, proportions tend to be disfigured or uneven. I'm more used to figure drawing with paper and pencil, and the results from that method turn out way better than what I do digitally.
>>
Is switching from traditional to tablet/digital difficult?
>>
>>2791114
Easy if you're a painter, harder if you've never worked with a real pen.
>>
File: BI24AS1.gif (1MB, 460x325px) Image search: [Google]
BI24AS1.gif
1MB, 460x325px
How do I get a thumbnail preview in Krita of the image that is always at 100% zoom? I want this for pixel art purposes and the overview docker isn't pixel accurate and has no options.
>>
>>2791092
>without cramping up
Don't draw from the wrist, try to move more from the elbow.

>having wrong proportions
More practice/studies.
>>
any advice on drawing digitally?The transition from pencil to tablet is weird,any advice on what to do to make it feel more natural?
>>
>>2791269
It's almost exactly like working in pen except you can rotate, so I recommend you learn how to rotate the page.
>>
Are animators really able to draw keyframes with no mistakes or construction? Im looking at this and I see no pencil marks at all, and Im blown away. I know people from /ic/ could pull off a good animu face, but doing it with 100% accuracy on the first try seems impossible unless they sketch it on like a side note or something.

How much room is there for fuck ups in general for the animation business?
>>
>>2791369
It isn't really all that hard. You have one dude that does it right, a few more that do the rest and a bunch of chinks that fill in everything in between. Draw goku 160 times a day and you will be able to get it right.
>>
>>2791371
>>2791369
Shit, he's off model in that shitty fanart.
>>
File: brom_blood_ritual.jpg (158KB, 918x1200px) Image search: [Google]
brom_blood_ritual.jpg
158KB, 918x1200px
why did brom make the shadow values of the skin so light? what's the idea behind it? i thought it might be to emphasize bounced light, but if that were the case the shadows on the fabric would be similarly lightened.

i've seen this in a handful paintings, and it's a curious effect.
>>
>>2791166
You could try using a subwindow.

settings->configure Krita->general->multilple document setting->subwindows.

Then Window->NewView to make a 2nd view of the current window.
>>
File: 1461015658948.gif (14KB, 125x110px) Image search: [Google]
1461015658948.gif
14KB, 125x110px
hello friends.
i am studying "drawing the head and hands" right now, and i have a question.
to add the chin to a sphere to create a head, does that chin always have to be half of the sphere's length? it looks wrong when i do it.
>>
File: nw-riho-skth-1a.jpg (51KB, 500x402px) Image search: [Google]
nw-riho-skth-1a.jpg
51KB, 500x402px
>>2791371
>>2791374
Oh sorry, I was talking about genga in general. Even with a team of workers this amazes me.

I think im going to make it goal for me to draw stuff with one clean stroke.

I guess line economy isn't just a meme.
>>
File: GeorgeBridgmanStudiescopy1.jpg (69KB, 579x595px) Image search: [Google]
GeorgeBridgmanStudiescopy1.jpg
69KB, 579x595px
>>2791884
Try just drawing the head with your own construction methods and make it look right on your own. Then look at loomis again and see how he did it and apply that to your work. Theres multiple ways to interpret the head shape.
>>
how do tradfags use lineart in their paintings?

when digital artists use lineart it's not even painting, they just color it with filters.
maybe painting over the lines a bit near the end.

I'd like to know how to draw on a canvas then paint that exact drawing like on old european man would.
>>
can someone type down whatever this book says so i can google it? also does the drawing on the right look like it was made with pen or pencil?
>>
does ic stand for illustration critique?
>>
>>2791627
It works, thanks! You da best~
>>
File: vpt.png (503KB, 693x460px) Image search: [Google]
vpt.png
503KB, 693x460px
How do I create a perspective drawing with vanishing points that lay outside the paper?
The paper I use can only be so big
>>
File: fb.jpg (23KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
fb.jpg
23KB, 450x450px
would wearing a wrist brace without having tendonitis, carpal tunnel etc. help to avoid it happening?
>>
I've heard somewhere in another thread that starting off with zbrush is a faster way too gitgud as it helps you visualize in 3d directly but the process is the same as 2d drawing.

Can someone refute this? Can someone elaborate more on this? I don't want to dive and learning 3d beforehand then to see it amount to nothing. (Looks at Proko...)
>>
>>2792228

I know some artists in the past used post it notes and giant rulers on a drawing board for the vanishing points.
>>
>>2792238

I don't think so. You ultimately get good at what you practice. If you practice 3d modeling more than you draw then you're going to get better at 3d modeling than drawing. I am sure it can be a useful additional excercise though
>>
>>2790368
Just got an iPad Pro for christmas. I think e notes app is awesome for quick sketches anyone know of any decent apps. Or if it's possible to do complete works in the notes app
>>
File: basic-forms-thumb.jpg (25KB, 550x284px) Image search: [Google]
basic-forms-thumb.jpg
25KB, 550x284px
When drawing a head, does the chin have a specific size or can you adjust it to your liking?
>>
>>2792250
You can adjust, but there's always a limit.
The beauty about drawing human heads is that you use a little formula for a basic head and then proceed to make small proportion adjustments to make different people.
>>
>>2791379
To create contrast regarding clothing / accessories
>>
I'm a begginer and cannot draw poses from imagination whatsoever. Everytime I try they are stiff and boring. Is it important to learn how to do poses at this early stage (learning gestures and basic fundamentals). If it is important how should I go about learning this?
>>
Gesture drawing is the process of recording the action of a pose with simple lines, is that correct?
>>
>>2792257
Its as important as you want it to be. If you think your poses are static, then yes, its important. Best way to practice is of course to draw draw and draw. Either use the figure drawing references from the sticky, study from film, draw from life, etc. Just remember you're trying to be loose, don't worry too much about anatomy (although keeping proportion is important of course.)

>>2792260
P much my dude
>>
>>2791210
But it feels like, with pencil and paper, I'm able to accurately study and observe the body that I'm trying to draw to some extent. Digitally, I have no idea how I'm supposed to place the image I'm trying to study from. Do I paste it onto my canvas in the program or do I keep alt+tabbing out every so often between the program and the image? I feel like my sketches are more consistent in size when I start by not zooming in at all, but when I start zooming in, I lose the sense of scale. If that makes any sense. I can't really explain it, but it feels like I'm doing something wrong in the technical sense.
>>
Any tips for measuring besides eyeballing it?
>>
File: viewfinder.jpg (67KB, 550x413px) Image search: [Google]
viewfinder.jpg
67KB, 550x413px
>>2792296
-a ruler
-a grid
-or the psedo science rectangle
>>
File: 1480512768763-b.jpg (780KB, 684x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1480512768763-b.jpg
780KB, 684x1000px
Does anyone have tips on how to do this kind of coloring and effect? I use Photoshop to do art and I was wondering if I could do it there.
>>
File: 1468476507324.gif (2MB, 244x194px) Image search: [Google]
1468476507324.gif
2MB, 244x194px
>draw cutesy moeblobs
>finally get a grasp of constructing the head
>try to draw literally any other type of head
>it comes out like /beg/-tier shit and i feel like i've forgotten everything i've learned
i don't even know what to do anymore. i've been drawing for years now so i shouldn't be this much of a fucking faggot
so my question is should i go the same-face mcgee route or just kill myself? ;_;
>>
>>2792899
Wouldn't hurt to copy from a reference first so you could grasp moeblob style.
>>
File: 75635345.jpg (179KB, 500x706px) Image search: [Google]
75635345.jpg
179KB, 500x706px
What does A1, A2, A3... B1, B2,B3 mean?
What is that grid thing for?
Is the hiragana an abbreviation for word?

Also, looking for a general key for genga and douga terminology
>>
Any books on traditional ethnic patterns?
For example scandinavian, turkish, japanese, greek, etc.
Also folk costumes?
>>
Any recommendations on books/resources for coloring/rendering images?
I think I'm ready to move on from just doing figure drawing and perspective.
>>
>>2793345
before you check out some resources, I rec just trying to paint figures on your own visual knowledge. (hint, abuse the airbrush and low opacity). Next, check out some tutorials like pic or youtube something like "realistic painting photoshop". And then after all that, then learn about color theory and light and study the masters... like Ruan jia. And remember, there is no absolute method to painting.

As for book recs, you should check out Scott Robertson's "How to Render" its new and i know /ic/ praises his perspective book.
>>
What advice do you guys have for a complete bigginer, I've already read the sticky and downloaded the books how should I approach practicing each day?
>>
>>2793297
the letters are layers the numbers are the keyframe numbers

A1 (layer 1 key frame 1) B2 (layer 2 key frame 2)

and as for the grid thing those looks like just shitty hand written notes probly for inbetweening maybe.
>>
>>2793459
not going /ic/ and asking for advice. start drawing already.
>>
>>2793459
>>2793559

This guy's right. If you want to draw, you draw. If you want to draw but are too lazy/dispassionate, go enroll in an art school so you can get some direction and accountability.
>>
File: 14106779210_d0fb8838d4_b.jpg (248KB, 900x804px) Image search: [Google]
14106779210_d0fb8838d4_b.jpg
248KB, 900x804px
>>2793557
Thank you, i tried looking into layers more. And im bit confused. So if the keyframer wants to animate a body turn, and he writes A1, A2, A3, A means its the body layer. But if the keyframer is animating the eyes closing, he would use B1, B2, B3? But... what if the eyes were closing at the same time of the body turning. Would you write A1 and B2 on the same cel?

I googled it, and I think im right. But this sounds difficult to time well. Like holy shit. I got to try this.
>>
File: sxf_x_sheet.jpg (67KB, 581x537px) Image search: [Google]
sxf_x_sheet.jpg
67KB, 581x537px
>>2793596
it depends on the cut ofc, so lots of things can happen. animators will use layers so that they make it easier to animate on top of things like smoke and special effects. i dont usually see expressions on seperate layers when i look at Xsheets but im no animator.
>>
File: Cirno.full.94293.jpg (79KB, 756x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Cirno.full.94293.jpg
79KB, 756x1000px
>>2793459
Lots of people might disagree with method, but i wish i had this sched when I was beginner on /ic/ back in the day.

-Draw sketches with some reference on the side to look at
-Read the books. I rec just reading Keys to Drawing, Perspective made easy, and Figure drawing for all its worth all at the same time. Dont do hardcore memorization of the books, but just read them think about how to apply what its saying to your drawings. Google anatomy and reference photos to look at.
-Reference studies
-sketches

There, 4 parts. So if you have an hour to draw a day, spend 15 mins on each one.
>>
File: 345346.png (137KB, 1250x322px) Image search: [Google]
345346.png
137KB, 1250x322px
>>2793605
>xsheet
holy fug. I got a lot of things to read about it looks.

I got the expression thing from here http://www.animanga.com/cels/info/cels.html so maybe it was a 90s technique.
>>
File: nwkbjb.png (245KB, 775x643px) Image search: [Google]
nwkbjb.png
245KB, 775x643px
>>2793610
oh i see, its less of a animating thing and more of a coloring thing. although it doesnt really matter now since its alot easier to color things.
>>
>>2793610
>>2793618
also that is probably just talking about having a still frame while animating the features on another layer. so you dont have to recolor the entire thing
>>
If I learn drawing humans very well, then qt anime grills is just a matter of doing the same, but in a simplified way - am I understanding this correctly?
>>
>>2793626
not really a simplified way, its more of a proportion thing. the simplified thing has nothing to do with it.that sad you dont have to draw humans very well, you can jump to proportions/form and draw your qt animu grills
>>
I started Keys To Drawing, and I'm doing this drawing crossed feet exercises. I understand what the author is trying to tell me, but I have difficulty putting it in practice.

I draw feet in shoes while looking at them and focusing on the contours and lines. But they end up lopsided or proportions aren't right. Is this normal? They will look better as I do more of the exercises, right?
>>
>>2792230
if anything it could make it more likely to happen. wrist braces tighten the area around your carpel tunnel.

if you want to avoid it;

-take breaks often.
-don't use your drawing hand for the mouse. trust me, you'll adjust. in addition, or in case you don't want to switch hands, get an autoclick program.
-work out your arms, but take care not to strain them there too.
-hold the pencil as lightly as you can. draw from the elbow/shoulder, not your wrist/fingers. it is ok to use the wrist when drawing small details, but don't go too overboard and again, take breaks.
-try not to constantly dread or stress out about getting/having RSI. easier said than done of course.

also stretching is overhyped, it won't cure or fully prevent RSI.
>>
>>2793732
Yes, it will. It's more important to do than to worry about the doing.
>>
File: IMG_20161227_132915.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161227_132915.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
I got pic related as a christmas gift, I'm wondering if anyone else has experience with watercolour pencils (even better if it's this particular brand).

I've tried them a little and so far (especially compared to my tube watercolors) the pigment is far more faded. I need to draw very hard (hard enough to indent my paper) to get a good strong colour. Is this to be expected? Also, what are some good uses for these pencils? I feel like I can always add richer pigment with my tube paints but I'd hate to see these go unused.
>>
I have trouble focusing, what can i do to improve my ability to focus on studying and retaining that information?
>>
>>2793851

the standard stuff, anon. Sleep well, eat well, exercise, get up every 30 minutes or so, and develop a sturdy routine.

or eat a Loomis MemeFocus® Energy Bar.
>>
File: 64784353786.png (75KB, 530x549px) Image search: [Google]
64784353786.png
75KB, 530x549px
How do I get my confidence back?

For the past 3 months, I've lost so much of it that I doodle random half-finished forms instead of completing a drawing. This has led me to do the same thing everyday to the point where it feels like I can't draw anything right anymore.

How can I get over this?
>>
>>2793965

Whenever I'm feeling low on confidence I do a photostudy of a familiar subject. I keep on it until it looks good.

Usually 20-30 minutes in it looks trash and I want to quit, but once I push it for an hour or two it starts to come out looking alright and it just reminds me to stay patient.
>>
Are there any free alternatives to flash I can use to start animating?
Keep in mind I'm on a Mac.
>>
File: ShadersSample.png (135KB, 1250x660px) Image search: [Google]
ShadersSample.png
135KB, 1250x660px
>>2790368
I have bit of unique question for you guys. I'm working on a palette shader for a game, and this are my palette experiments. Some suggestions would be great.
>>
>>2794015
wheres the question....?
>>
>>2794124
The question is "Can you suggest to me palette shades that the player will be able to choose from?"
>>
>>2794124
>>2794131
Thank you, I guess my question is how are skin tones supposed to be saturated. I've read before that shadows should be more saturated but I'm not sure which way to orient brighter tones. I've also read to shade not shade black, so I'm not just making darker shades.

So far tutorials on painting skin have been more helpful.
>>
any manga with good fight choreography to study from? besides Dragon Ball?
>>
>2794220
Tsugumomo
>>
>>2794220
Fuck I fucked that up but I highly recommend Tsugumomo
>>2794295
>>
File: 003.png (470KB, 805x1200px) Image search: [Google]
003.png
470KB, 805x1200px
>>2794220
Veritas (pic) It has one of the best fight choreographies I've read yet out of all the action ones and is one of the most underrated, or mostly unknown because it's a manwha. The artist really has a knack for good dynamism and original movements. the first couple chapters are not bad but it really rises in quality quickly. The story is a bit hard to follow sometimes though, due to all that korean nomenclature.

In the same quality category, there's also Aiki, Vinland Saga, Sun Ken Rock, Berserk and more...I would say say OPM, but it's more dynamism of movements than originality I guess.

in another category, Ajin, probably the most realistic out of them all, no fancy superpower moves out of the humans but very good showcase of realistic movements frame to frame, I don't know, consider it the death note of action or something like that.
>>
File: 0128754hgx4.webm (2MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
0128754hgx4.webm
2MB, 640x480px
>>2794220
I also suggest learning from real life, you can find some pretty cool stuff online
>>
>>2794337
oh of course learning from real life is always ideal, but learning from good fight scenes helps you learn good paneling for an action sequence
>>
>>2794337
This style always looks ridiculous, it's great.
>>
File: thfhj.jpg (121KB, 729x1240px) Image search: [Google]
thfhj.jpg
121KB, 729x1240px
I'm a drawing beginner and wanted to draw myself with the UT cast. My problem is that I want to come close to the "canon" sizes the characters have in the game, like Sans reaching Papyrus' shoulders. I'm 172cm tall and I figured someone who's like 135-140cm would reach my shoulder so I wanted to draw Papyrus around my own height and Sans around 135-140cm.
I want to learn how to draw heights with head sized boxes, but this whole project is giving me too much trouble because the UT characters all have such weird proportions. Any tips? I mean this has to be possible somehow.
>>
When is it okay to use the wrist instead of the shoulder?
>>
>>2794417
masturbation.
>>
File: Ov1fBLH.jpg (92KB, 1024x1006px) Image search: [Google]
Ov1fBLH.jpg
92KB, 1024x1006px
Why is light reacting like this? Is life missing a texture or something
>>
>>2794344
oof, i dont think 4chan is the right place to ask that kind of question due to how much people hate undertale/fandoms.
however my advice is to just guess/estimate. if you try to get super anal about getting perfect measurements you will never actually get the drawing done, or at least wont finish it. Dont worry too much about head boxes, as long as everything is roughly in proportion it'll be fine.

basically just draw what looks right, you can always check and change proportions later if something is off.
also i recommend leaving /ic/, this place is toxic.
>>
>>2794442
looks like light is just streaming between a couple of buildings
>>
>>2794344
Like >>2794462 said, you're going to want to make everything look proportionally correct, but it doesn't have to be perfect. Remember that they're portrayed in kind of cartoonish proportions, and unless you can find actual measurements of what their intended height was then you're going to have to eyeball it.

Also, I'm about your height. I'd say Papyrus is taller than you. And like the other anon said, be wary of the edgy contrarians on here because they'll shit on you. This board is pretty toxic too, if you're a beginner you might want to try somewhere else for advice.
>>
Where do you guys normally buy things from?
Do you prefer online or a certain store?
>>
I've been looking into glass dip pens and I don't know really anything about inks is there certain types I should stay away from?
>>
Someone have Sargent notes from Mullins site?
>>
I got a few questions:
1. Is drawing the clothed figure any good?
2. Are classes or books better?
3. Are reference photos a crutch to learning anatomy?
4. A lot of times l, I'll make a really amateur mistake like realizing the neck's too long after the drawing is done. Should I focus more on improving mistakes or just try to refine basic skills?
>>
How to get along with other artists if you are not that good to be a star and you don't want to touch deviantart? Thanks
>>
Are there any good and inexpensive colored pencils out there?
>>
Im starting to shade simple shapes such as boxes and spheres. How do i know if im doing them right or wrong?
>>
>>2795374
How inexpensive? You can look at cheap chinese sets like Raffine, but the best way to save money on good materials would be to buy a small selection of individual pencils you know you'll need rather than a huge set. I have about 10 Derwent Drawing pencils and find that good enough for most portrait sketches.
>>
I got a lead holder and I only have 2B lead.

What other kinds should I get? I need something that's good for big, wide strokes.
>>
Just graduated art school, realizing that it gave me a decent base but I have been continually encouraged by multiple professionals that I have met to go back to school. Only a couple have told me I have what it takes to get into the entertainment business.

I have been working my ass off and plan on applying to a couple of internships soon, but I don't know whether or not I should go back to school.

Also how do I get better at cartooning? I'm trying to do gesture drawings but it's just not working out the way I'd like it to.

cheers
>>
>>2794577
some things certain stores, anything else i research then buy online
>>
>>2795053

Good Qs.

>1. Is drawing the clothed figure any good?

I'll assume you mean actually drawing a figure and not a text called "Drawing the Clothed Figure."

Eventually you'll need to figure out the logic behind how folds and clothes appear and why, how to represent different kinds of materials, so yes.

To start with, focus on the nude figure. Introduce clothes when you're utterly comfortable with rendering the entire human form by itself.

>2. Are classes or books better?

Both are necessary. Make sure you vet the teacher so you can be confident they know their shit in and out. I personally go to an ARC academy but that's not for everyone, it can be a very demanding environment, but you're guaranteed to get good teachers from these due to how ARC operates.

Books wise, you'll want to repeat the exercises the book does - not trace them but try to repeat them exactly, and then apply the exercises to real life studies. This reinforces learning and gives you confidence when drawing from imagination.

Schools typically represent one unified approach to doing things with some additions, whereas with books you can get varied methods. Try them all and see which ones you like the most.

>3. Are reference photos a crutch to learning anatomy?

Not if you gain practice from it. If you do studies where you render the forms from the photo and then overlay the anatomy on top of your rendering, you're learning.

Check out Artistic Anatomy from Robert Beverly Hale, Classic Human Anatomy from Valerie Winslow, or Human Anatomy for Artists by Elliot Goldfinger.

>4. A lot of times l, I'll make a really amateur mistake like realizing the neck's too long after the drawing is done. Should I focus more on improving mistakes or just try to refine basic skills?

If you do your drawing in stages, which you should, you need to fix the error at the earliest stage possible (often called the block-in stage). Use this stage to check for proportional problems.
>>
>>2795841
>overlay the anatomy

Should elaborate on this.

Take a sheet of tracing paper, put it over your rendering, and render the anatomy. Commonly you use red to represent muscle, white to represent tendons, and a neutral grey to represent bone.
>>
This is going to make me sound like a weebshit /beg/tier artist, but is there any possible way to make my art appealing without learning how to draw super realistic stuff? I've been grinding my fundamentals all of this year and last and while I've been seeing improvements I've also realized that I do my best while I'm actually having fun. On top of that I can spot anatomy mistakes with my favorite artists and yet many people (myself included) still love their work. I guess I'm kind of rambling but I just wanted to get some advice from someone more experienced.
>>
>>2795849
I think people tend to forget how important color really is. Color theory is a very broad subject, which I personally believe can rival almost all other artistic concepts combined.

My theory on the appeal of any given art is that it comes in two very broad (and obviously somewhat interrelated) categories. Form and color. You have to be at least 'good' at both to make 'good' work, but it's possible to make very appealing works that have a few minor mistakes on the form side if your color is superb. I think it's true the other way around as well, but I don't think people give color enough credit on its own. Obviously, even if you're a prodigy with color, but you're drawing tumblr characters, your end result is going to be shit.

My suggestion is to alter the way you practice for a little while, try new things, and specifically do some color studies.
>>
File: 1481358758186.jpg (104KB, 570x919px) Image search: [Google]
1481358758186.jpg
104KB, 570x919px
Ahoy!
I am a fairly decent self taught artist so far and this spring semester Ill be taking a figure drawing class, also my first ever art class. Any advice / tips to give me for the class?
>>
It seems that my Art™ lacks purpose.
Where do I get it? I don't want to succumb to fanart, or, well, if I do, then I'd like to at least with some Meaning® behind.
>>
>>2795802
Would really, really like some help guys.
>>
>>2795882
If I were you Id go to a smaller school and get a part time. Community college can keep the loan devils away. Youll be able to practice and apply to jobs/internships without worry until you finally get that offer.
>>
Any pointers on how to paint multiple figures in a composition, digitally? I feel like my overall process is lacking and could use some insight.

Everyone seems to be doing portraits from the waist up or spitpaint landscapes.

It's a simple "oh well, grind fundamentals" type of question but I like picking other people's processes apart and dreaming.
>>
>>2795870
Try not to get a boner.
Especially if you're the model.
>>
Is new masters academy worth it for a month? Is it possible to find their videos free elsewhere?
>>
If I were to create a thread about landscapes, in which every individual landscape is explored at different vantage points and added on to by other Artists so that a larger environment gets made, would anyone be interested? I'd call it the "Collaborative Environments" thread
>>
bruh, I'm freaking right now. I got an iPad and have been using it to draw for the past couple days I just tried to draw on paper and my skill level has dropped extreme amounts???? Has this happened to anyone else after using digital? Any tips I dunno what's going on
>>
File: check em.jpg (10KB, 86x152px) Image search: [Google]
check em.jpg
10KB, 86x152px
>>2795766
Anybody??
>>
>>2790368
If i suck at drawing boxes, i should study boxes; or draw a bunch of boxes until i gradually git bettr. Is there a scenerio when you shouldnt study, or constantly draw, a subject?
>>
What is the proper way to make a study and what do i need to consider while making it?
>>
>>2795894
Thank you. I've been taking classes at community college and continuously posting my art for critique on here :0 doing the best I can yo
>>
how would i go about constructing boxes with exact dimensions?

suppose i want to make a bounding box for a whale or something, and i want this box to be 300 feet long, 20 feet wide, and 30 feet tall.

also, how would i go about establishing a unit of measurement within the image plane, THEN conforming shit to it?

I've noticed in my studies, that part of making believable scenes is giving everything appropriate dimensions. Figures are in an interior, for example, have everything fitted for them in a way that they can interact with just about anything in the image plane.
>>
>>2796458

1. Find picture you like.
2. Copy picture you like. Don't trace.
3. Compare both pictures (Lightbox or a new layer on top).
4. Notice mistakes. (I.E: Values are too dull, neck is too long, X part is assymmetrical).
5. Learn from your mistakes. (If you fucked up X, study some books on the subject (values, anatomy...).

It's important to know that your end-goal is not to copy somebody's "style" (I call it "style" for the sake of clarity). You should be looking for your own weak spots without the crutch of drawing from imagination (I can't draw from imagination something I have never seen).

Only after you feel confortable enough, you should start drawing from imagination.
>>
File: attachment.jpg (112KB, 600x565px) Image search: [Google]
attachment.jpg
112KB, 600x565px
>>2796486
This is how you make a perfect square in perspective.

For your actual question you just establish a point of reference and eyeball it. If you have a person, you know they're roughly six feet tall and 2 feet wide and can use all the fancy comparative geometry you learned from How to Draw or Olsen's videos or any book on perspective to duplicate and measure those distances.
>>
>>2790368
Does anyone have any tips or references I can check out in regards to time management?
I first started out strong in regards to my self-study program and was making incredible progress (at least to myself) but I had to put my studies on the backburner in order to focus on more pressing issues (was facing homelessness). I've recently gotten free of that situation and now am wanting to go back to my studies but I'm inundated with schoolwork, wageslaving, and other life issues that I feel I'll never find time again. I really want to learn to draw but I feel I'm gonna drop the ball on one or the other if I add more to my plate.
>>
File: 001RpDBBgy6Tat4ARxL81.jpg (198KB, 1031x1500px) Image search: [Google]
001RpDBBgy6Tat4ARxL81.jpg
198KB, 1031x1500px
Can anyone help me understand this? I get that it's about the temperature of the light affecting the temperature of the local color, but I'm confused and I don't speak ching chong.
>>
>>2796642
I believe it's showing how different colors of light affect colors
>>
>>2796252
Softer led 6b and 4b to start with and go from there.
>>
I got a huion h610 pro recently with Krita as my program. I'm still very much a beginner(only been drawing since about June 2016) so can digital art still help with learning the basics?
>>
How do I get better at cartoons??
>>
>>2796642
it's showing the effect that light has on rgb with red being sampled the most. Different colors of light will shine depending on the time of day and atmosphere and this will affect every color it touches. The sky is not blue, the grass is not green and color is relative to what color light hits it. The closer the objects color is to becoming a compliment to the lights color, the more desaturated the color of the object will be. Mix red and green together and you get black in the perfect world, same with orange and blue, yellow and purple.

So if you had a feint blue night scene, all of your reds would be desaturated or turn into a cooler color such as purple. Remember nothing is perfect and you'll have to do some color studies to grasp the relativity of it.
>>
>>2795874
live a healthy well fulfilled life, do a bunch of stuff and get out in the world. art with meaning and value comes from having people and values that you care about and believe in. what do you really care about. meaning is only part of it of course and will fall flat without good backing. you need to be able to communicate your idea/meaning clearly
>>
>>2794442
It's a strong hint that you'll need the cat later on.
>>
File: cavea2a.png (200KB, 1917x927px) Image search: [Google]
cavea2a.png
200KB, 1917x927px
How can one upscale an image "losslessly" in a timely manner? Of course upscaling a jpg or png normally blurs the image, but just by zooming in and screencapping it achieves the effect I want (see pic related).

Essentially I just want to make every pixel bigger without any interpolation. Is it something to do with the dpi? Am I just being retarded somehow?
>>
>>2796730
please help ahhhhhh
>>
As someone who works best on paper, am I dragging my progress by working on fundamentals/etc 100% digitally (Tablet & Monitor)?

I've been doing it as a challenge, but the setup isn't as comfortable, the results aren't nearly as consistent and I'm starting to have doubts.

Am I better off building my skills traditionally until I'm confident enough to overcome the difference in medium?

(I'll add that I've been working traditionally for life, and digitally for a few years)
>>
>>2792536
PS can do literally anything any other program/traditional medium can and sometimes better.
Tbh since you have to ask this question I think you should go back to learning...
>>
>>2797228
Well I am only self taught.
>>
>>2797140
Work on what you want to work on ( i mean medium ) in the future.

If you like paper so much just keep working on it, and use digital for other purposes (like fixing small mistakes etc.)
>>
>>2796985
Pretty sure you want to upscale using the "closest neighbour" setting.
>>
>>2794442
That cat has a sidequest for you.
>>
>>2796971
>>2797336
kek
>>
While studying how am I supposed to keep my hand from fucking up the proportions on the paper while my eyes are looking at the subject? Apparently I'm not supposed to draw a mental image of the subject but just look at it.
>>
>>2796730
>>2797042

"Cartooning the human figure(?)" by Jack Hamm.

"Gesture drawing for animation" is great, too, even if you aren't going to animate.
>>
Is loomis a meme or not, what am I suppose to take from his books?
>>
>>2798242
>>
>>2798375
he teaches anatomy and perspective among a few other things depending on the book. just study them and see for yourself
>>
That exercise from keys to drawing: does it have to be feet in shoes or can I draw my hand, my cat or my dick? Doing shoes makes me angry
>>
>>2790368
I'm the complete opposite as everyone else.
I can ONLY draw by imagination, create characters, monster and anything but I'm complete trash at copying
my shadows are complete trash, my perspective is a mess etc...
What the fuck should I do, I'm trying to do it relatively often but I don't seem to progress.
>>
>>2797418
Are you doing that contour line exercise?
>>
>>2800053
It's impossible for us to tell you what you need to work on in your art without seeing your art. You might be a complete amateur that needs to start from the basics on.
>>
What are some good ways to keep challenging myself creatively while studying the fundamentals?

I'm setting myself up for a 1 year of fundamentals run and everything feels so methodical and study-like and boring. Any tips on how not to let myself get bored to death?
>>
>>2798491
You are a free anon. Feel free to draw anything
>>
>>2800133
read a book you enjoy and try and create the characters/settings.
take 2-3 animals and mash them together.
take an existing work and make the opposite of it.
>>
>>2800133
start with something simple, like a filling a page with drawings of hands at different angles from imagination. Soon, move up to arms and hands or maybe heads. Do this everyday along with studying fundamentals, and then drawing the figure will come 2nd nature.
>>
>>2790368
Is drawing on the right side of the brain really all that bad?

I mean I've been working through it the last two weeks and I've improved a shitload. I know there is a lot of pseudo intellectual stuff in it. But why does it get such a bad rep around here.
>>
Besides Deviantart, what are some websites that I can post my drawings?
Beginner to intermediate skill level.
>>
File: 1477639455389.jpg (133KB, 728x636px) Image search: [Google]
1477639455389.jpg
133KB, 728x636px
Everytime I put my pencil on paper I get a large amount of stress hit me all at once and it makes me want to stop so bad. I don't know why it happens but does anyone else have this problem?
>>
Why am I so shit at controlling my hand? I'm really innacurate, I can't draw decent straight lines, If I draw half of an object I can't reproduce the other part symmetrically. I even tried doing drawabox and other shitty exercise of the same kind. I see total beginners to do better, someone has the same problem? How much time do I need to resolve it?
>>
Why is drawing from life considered so much better than using photos as reference?
>>
Does anyone have the link to the site where you can get high-res pics from google art project? It also works only in chrome, as I remember.
>>
>>2800944
You can get up and walk around the model if you're not sure about the form. Plus you see that value changes because from does too, and you see how deep different things are in space more clearly. Plus you see the whole light setting, so you can tell where are all the reflections from.
=more info
>>
>>2800840
Yeah it's called stop being a pussy and work through it.
>>
>>2792294
place it on the canvas next to what you're drawing or open a new window in PS with your ref, you can also use a program called pureref if you don't have that option.

and never zoom in until you have your drawing set up in regards to proportions/anatomy shit. Come on, man. Practice more gesture and proportions, use visual measuring, and really concentrate.
>>
>>2794170
You should read color and light by james gurney
>>
How do I make the quantum leap from Loomis to drawing qt animu grills?

All the weeb manga books I've found don't explain stuff nearly as well as he does.
>>
I don't care much for people, but I do want to be able to draw structures and vehicles.

In university I took a class as part of my engineering degree where I did technical drawings for parts and turning those into 3D as well as modelling them. This was extremely easy for me and I was quite good at it, but when it comes to something more imaginary and with a lot more angles and curves I am unable to go from my 2D views to a 3D sketch.

I can sort of visualize what I want in 3D, but I can only draw it as a side front top view, any attempt to sketch it always ends up heavily distorted or just wrong. How do I get from what I see in my head to paper?
>>
>>2801020
Learn perspective, how to do curves in perspective. Read Scott Robertson's How to Draw.
>>
>>2800840
Me, but I still force myself and end up drawing in my comfort zone for the thousandth time and never improve.
Putting the date before drawing kinda helped some times.
>>
File: Untitled.png (80KB, 1232x734px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
80KB, 1232x734px
I'm working from Scott Robertsons 'how to draw',

and I'm wondering if I've correctly transferred the height of box A to the 'rotated 2 point' and '1 point' perspective grids. The green lines are the ones I used to transfer the height. I'm fairly new to perspective so I am having a difficult time knowing whether it looks right or the 'cone of vision' is distorting it.

Any help or advice is appreciated- thanks!
>>
where can i find good 3d skulls to look at?
>>
I've been very interested in started my own comic book but have no idea where to begin. What do I absolutely need to start? Any pencil recommendations/programs/equipment/etc?
>>
So where can I find a cracked copy of photoshop? Tried searching on google but got only virus and shit.
>>
File: 562628_1000_1_800.jpg (114KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
562628_1000_1_800.jpg
114KB, 800x800px
Drawing with colored pencils? Are there any negatives to doing this?

So far, I've noticed they seem much harder than regular HB pencils, and I actually have to apply lots of pressure to get a single, solid looking line, but I do like the variety, and it's cool to be able to draw over things using different colors.

I'm a beginner, by the way.
>>
>>2801751
The obvious is that you can't get a variety of softness/hardness and it's much harder to erase.

There's blue lead (from Pentel) you could consider. I wouldn't recommend the red.
>>
>>2801748
Do you want 32 bit or 64?
>>
>>2801769
64, thanks
>>
File: Haeckel_Arachnida.jpg (2MB, 2369x3326px) Image search: [Google]
Haeckel_Arachnida.jpg
2MB, 2369x3326px
Are any of you guys interested in biological/scientific/medical illustration? I can hardly find anything on it anywhere. What do I need to do to train myself to draw that? It should be no different than drawing anything else, right?

I'm taking classes at an atelier right now but I wonder if I'm better off just going out and trying to draw plants and shit as accurately as possible.
>>
thanks for nothing fuckers
>>
>>2801845

You should probably study biology to some degree aswell, but that goes without saying right?
>>
>>2801844
http://www.mediafire.com/file/c4sc6ogwf5mfs7f/Adobe+Photoshop.zip

you got a question, ask away
>>
File: Haeckel_Discomedusae_8.jpg (2MB, 2300x3300px) Image search: [Google]
Haeckel_Discomedusae_8.jpg
2MB, 2300x3300px
>>2801848
I'm going to major in entomology, yeah. The university is close to the atelier so it works out, I'm just wondering if I'm wasting my time drawing and painting figures if I'm not really interested in medical illustration.
>>
>>2801851
Nice, thank you very much
>>
>>2800840
I know what you mean. The empty canvas can be very intimidating. I don't really have any advice on it. All I got to say is that draw without any expectations.
>>
File: image.png (109KB, 730x730px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
109KB, 730x730px
Any tip on how to chose different colors but that are all the same value ? Like a special color wheel or only advices ?
I like putting a lot of different colors on a same surface but I struggle at finding different colors with same value
>>
>>2801890
squint
>>
File: ikkitousen_0006_zps9a5049eb (1).jpg (128KB, 800x567px) Image search: [Google]
ikkitousen_0006_zps9a5049eb (1).jpg
128KB, 800x567px
In an anime studio, I heard that in betweeners require less skill than keyframers, so im assuming that rookie is more likey to get the job of doing a douga. But, are the people who do the final clean up = coloring more skilled for less skilled than the douga or genga people? In one hand, its the final product so it requires meticulous detail, but on the other, all they are doing is just coloring over sketches. I also feel that the genga artist would have trouble placing the shading and highlight maps without any experience in rendering beforehand. I just want to know which position a rookie animator would most likely get first.

tldr: rank douga, genga, and coloring artists in terms of skill.
>>
>>2802015
It varies from studio to studio. All i can say is, dissect the shows the studios have worked in. I dont understand what you mean by rendering since most animations are just literally 3 shades of colors and use batches for soft edges. shading and highlight maps? this isnt 3d. japanese animations use color seperation lines to color, nothing more to it.
>>
File: ._..png (1MB, 1280x870px) Image search: [Google]
._..png
1MB, 1280x870px
someone have that tutorial of that green/blue color effect of asian artists?

was something on photoshop about creating a duplicate layer, then adding an specific gradient, and reduce opacity.

something like that.
>>
>>2801851
Now how should I proceed? Start, the setup, make un account and then start the crack?
>>
>>2801890
You could fill a layer with a greyscale value
and add a layer on top of that set to color blend mode. Now whenever you paint on the top layer only the hue will change and the value will be similar to whatever the bottom layer is.
>>
I'm an artist, I get commissioned.

Am I the commissionee, and the guy paying me the commissioner? Or do I have it backwards?
>>
>>2802032
I see. Dont know what batching is... or really just never heard of the term before. Google isn't helping. So if someone could explain what a batch is to me would be good. I said mapping because, i thought that what the blue and red lines indicate, like you're literally plotting down where there would be a darker shade. Not aware that mapping only applies to 3d.
>>
File: Cushart_7.jpg (947KB, 2500x1211px) Image search: [Google]
Cushart_7.jpg
947KB, 2500x1211px
>>2802062
Not sure if this is the one you mean, but closest I had.
>>
>>2802248
those shades on the pic you posted are shadow markups. the red and blue lines(also green is used) are what i just discussed before, color seperation lines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hLPrpGtJx8

video shows you the lines

batching are just functions that some programs have to edit the animation easier. It can replace color, smooth out blocky areas, change the width of the lines ect.
>>
>>2802283
I feel so overwhelmed and amazed by all the cool shit there is to learn anime animation. Like, yes, this is what im abandoning everything for!
>>
>>2802182

That is how I understand the terminology, although I don't really hear the first term all too often.
>>
>>2802071
Just turn off you internet before opening the setup. Install it then crack it
>>
File: charls.png (743KB, 616x587px) Image search: [Google]
charls.png
743KB, 616x587px
What's a good pencil for light and broad strokes?
>>
If I were to buy one bridgman book, which one should it be? Assuming I don't want the complete guide because it's a butchered mess.
>>
how long should I draw squares, circles and triangles before I move on the spheres, cubes and pyramids/cones
>>
File: Sargent Muddy Alligators.jpg (357KB, 1600x1034px) Image search: [Google]
Sargent Muddy Alligators.jpg
357KB, 1600x1034px
Besides thumbnails, what are other good ways or resources to practice composition?
>>
what is a cuck?
>>
>>2802699
>(()You())
>>
Got any recommendations on good anatomy books or apps to learn on my commute to work?

Also, are there any tricks or tips on memorizing the skeleton structure on the human body (along with the relationship of the muscles)?
>>
>>2802774
was looking for the definition of Cuck.

>inb4 Google it ©
>>
What's the best way to actually get myself practicing?

My job has me working a very volatile schedule so I have trouble setting aside time to do things, and when I get back from work I'm usually so tired I just want to play video games or doodle stylized stuff/smut. I want to really get better at drawing this year but I'm having a hard time forcing myself to grind out practice beyond the occasional figure drawing when a pose I see somewhere on the internet catches my eye.
>>
>>2803109
have you tried getting up earlier than usual and drawing before you go to work?
>>
>>2803117
That would work for my night shifts, but usually I work mornings and I already have to be up at 5 for those.

I'll give it a shot though. If I'm already up that early an hour earlier can't hurt.
>>
>>2802275
any other tutorial like this one ?
>>
Is Jack Hamm's book "Drawing Scenery Seascapes and Landscapes" any good? Is it a good book for a beginner? I'm mostly interested in the landscape part unless seascape has some fundamentals included.
>>
File: 1481076311597.jpg (27KB, 344x317px) Image search: [Google]
1481076311597.jpg
27KB, 344x317px
I've picked up on a loop in my daily practice and it's bothering me.

>Open sketchbook
>Do 2-3+ pages of fundamental X, looks objectively decent
>Do 2-3+ pages of fundamental Y, looks objectively decent
>Draw from imagination and it ranges from abstract to mediocre
>~3 Hours pass
>Wonder where I went wrong, mildly frustrated
>Think about where I want to be
>Repeat the next day

What's my problem? How can I change my approach for better results?
>inb4 draw more
Explain to the best of your ability.
>>
>>2803552
Base your imaginative stuff off your studies only
Come up with a theme or a project, think about function and story, write notes and make sure you are confident with every aspect and characteristic of your imaginative subject before actually drawing it
Ask experienced artists for crtitique and use whatever technique, approach, tool and cheat that you can find
>>
I've been working with acrylics on a small scale (altering cards) and am having trouble with maintaining a even coat of paint with my strokes. More often than not, I get strokes where all the pigment is at the edges and totally missing from the middle. I've also been having trouble blending colors softly.
>>
File: fb.jpg (204KB, 1280x933px) Image search: [Google]
fb.jpg
204KB, 1280x933px
does anyone know the name of a guy, I think he was an art teacher from Thailand or something, and has a patreon? I'm looking for an image of his similar to this where he drew boxes in all angles/directions?
>>
File: 1466984663428.jpg (196KB, 744x999px) Image search: [Google]
1466984663428.jpg
196KB, 744x999px
>>2805328
I dunno, but I have this saved. Hope it helps you in your search.
>>
File: dafa.gif (211KB, 154x122px) Image search: [Google]
dafa.gif
211KB, 154x122px
At which height is it recommended to have your tablet?

My current table only lets me put it on the same level as the monitor and I notice I get really uncomfortable really fast and my arm hurts a bit. Is the same height as my keyboard recommended or at least acceptable?
>>
Is Instagram a worthy platform to post my art? I have a dA and Tumblr but I'm not very good at advertising my work, and it seems Instagram is one of those platforms that does that kind of thing automatically.
>>
>>2805416
twitter is also good
>>
>>2805418
Twitter was terrible for me, but that's probably mostly because I despise it on many levels.
>>
>>2805420
my problem with advertising my work is that I really don't mind if nobody sees my work but I NEED it so I can get clients

I'll just post something and completely forget I left it there but on twitter everything is so simple I tend to be more responsive there. Don't really use it to interact with people like it's supposed to be used
>>
>>2805379
If it hurts your arm now there's no reason to try placing it at the keyboard level, that should be fine because your arm will rest at that level when you're typing anyway. I place my tablet at keyboard height too btw.

>>2805416
No reason to skip it in my opinion, even if you're lazy it shouldn't take more than a few minutes to upload your art there.
>>
>>2791947
>
They've recently released anEnglish version. You can get it on Amazon: https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Books/Sketching-Times-Inspiration-25-Artists-Sketch-Selections/9810939639/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1483717682&sr=1-2&keywords=basheer

I bought one of the volumes in Hong Kong, they're great.
>>
File: tumblr_o3ww8dx3Gq1qe83zro1_540.png (278KB, 540x464px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o3ww8dx3Gq1qe83zro1_540.png
278KB, 540x464px
Should I spend a large amount of time trying to become more dexterous and getting my lines where I want them to go (i/e doing How To Draw + Drawabox exercises for hours at a time) before I go on to really learn any fundamentals or should I do that kind of thing side by side.

I just get really discouraged when I draw because my lines aren't going where I want them to.
>>
>>2806012
>hours at a time

No, you are doing it wrong. It is a warm-up. Think of it as an artists jog in the morning. You do it to stay in shape and it doesn't matter if you're getting it right or not as long as you do it everyday.
>>
>>2806012

Those kinds of exercises are largely a scam. You get way better practice in accuracy and penmanship in inking a drawing than drawing random straight lines
>>
>>2790368
how do i into mech drawing?
>>
>>2806060
by studying mechs!
>>
Most sites and wikis seem to recommend learning 'copying' or drawing from reference before learning construction and such, is there any particular reason for that, does it even matter at all in what order you learn those skills?
>>
I want to focus mostly on watercolor and ink.
Good books or advice?
>>
File: Drawing This.png (954KB, 651x841px) Image search: [Google]
Drawing This.png
954KB, 651x841px
Okay so I'm trying to learn how to perceive stuff better through an artists lens and i'm reading drawing on the right side of the brain. I'm on the exercise where you draw a foreshortened hand through a viewfinder with a grid. Will it work if I just use a program to make a grid than draw that?
>>
When doing studies is it better to draw for likeness or understanding?
>>
>>2794319
>>2794220
The breaker as well.
>>
Anyone worked through Keys to Drawing?

What's the point of drawing portraits using sight and measure techniques if you know you're going to be using construction later on?
>>
I'm an idiot who doesn't know how to use the catalog. If the thread I made is still up, sorry.
Anyway, how long did it take you guys to settle into your own art style? And what advice would you give to someone having trouble keeping a consistent art style?
>>
>>2806450
make a grid using lines in photoshop, then copy layer into ur reference
>>
is 4 hours a day considered good for practice?
>>
>>2806663
you're never supposed to aim for your personal style perse, you're suppose to reach a point where you acknowledge what makes your art objectively different from 100% realism.

Id say that being able to do 90% realist should be your ultimate goal, and if you draw anything less, you're still drawing in muh style(shit). Once you know the difference between 100% realistic, and your art, than you can say you have a specific style.

Anyway, i still cannot pull off something with perfect anatomy or proprtions yet.
>>
>>2806610
I did.
Keys to drawing teach how to draw from life, not how to draw from imagination. Those are two different skills.

You need Loomis.
>>
>>2806683
Depends on what you're drawing
>>
So I have read the sticky, got myself a copy of Edward's book, a pencil, and a sketchbook. Now I'm kinda intimidated. I don't have the frame finder thingy Edwards says you need, is it really important?
>>
So, some kind Anon posted this video on some thread https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2T7cDY7YDsg
I found it easier to understand and less boring than any Loomis book. Someone has other good videos for beginners? Also would appreciate the rest of this guy's video lessons
>>
Any advice on balancing fundamentals study and fun?
>>
>>2807079
I only draw digitally and I have a dual monitor setup so when I practice fundamentals I draw on one monitor and have a stream/youtube of something I'm interested in on the other. Preferrably of something that doesn't require my full attention, like a gaming tournament on twitch or something.
>>
File: 468763786478.png (60KB, 527x535px) Image search: [Google]
468763786478.png
60KB, 527x535px
How can I get my motivation back?

As soon as I draw something that I don't like the look of like this linework, it's been a habit of mine to just stop drawing afterwards. What can I do to stop this from happening?
>>
Do you think this is a logical decision?

Cancelled my schoolism membership, sold my tablet, and threw away all of my sketchbooks.

Such a waste of time. And for what? It's completely unnecessary and serves no purpose.
Art is not needed, especially in today's society where the intellect, personality, and face reigns supreme.

To be honest, the "artistic lifestyle" seems almost like a childish endeavour at this point, and I don't mean any disrespect, but it seems like the most serious artists (asides from guys who are legit conceptartists/illustrators/porn artists but they represent a very low % of dedicated lifters) are also the people with nothing else going on in their lives.
I know this was true with me, I was biggest and most serious about drawing when I was still in uni, working only 15 hours a week, and pretty much just plucking around all the time, going out, with no real life.
To all you kids out there who are getting sucked into the comerical art , try to stop yourself.
So long as you have and maintain decent facial aesthetics, you'll be fine.
Art just not worth it.
>>
>>2807211
kek
>>
>>2807211
every thread until you like it
>>
>>2807146

I meant balacing between drawing exercices and drawing for fun.
>>
>>2807239
I'm having your same problem but here is a suggestion. After a bit of raw practice on fundamentals, try using some time to apply what you have learned drawing something you like.
For example, are you studying anatomy? Try drawing a character you like or inventing one. Are you studying persepctive? Apply what you learned by drawing a view that you like.
Of course, you shouldn't be spending too much time on things unrelated to the exercises, but doing it a bit would motivate you seeing that all that shit actually helps you reaching your goals
>>
>>2807262

Yeah I could try to apply the exercices to watercolors since I want to focus on them when i'm done with the fundamentals. Thanks.
>>
File: 1480373493900.png (51KB, 876x773px) Image search: [Google]
1480373493900.png
51KB, 876x773px
Should I worry whether or not that my work will appear on cringe threads?

the style I want to go for is a bit cartoony (or tumblr depending on how others see it)

I know how the stylization process works but I'm worried that I'll mess up
Also I'm still a beginner but what puts me back a little on art/illustration is whenever I see people ragging on other people's art.
I see the whole cringe thread situation as a gray zone because though it's dickish for people to pick on others, but it doesn't go onto levels of harassment (usually) or stalking the person etc.

sorry for sounding oversensitive if I do.
>>
>>2807296
Well, you can always post in beg thread for feedback
>>
>>2807296
i wouldn't sweat it anon. just keep drawing.
>>
>>2792244
Procreate and adobe color
>>
I'm wanting to learn how to draw on a a tablet. Do you look at the actual tablet screen as you make lines or thd computer screen when drawing from imagination?
>>
>>2808236
That completely depends on the kind of tablet you get.
>>
can i read the three first chapters of "keys to drawing" and then skip the other chapters and go to the imagination chapter/ any book about imagination?
>>
How does drawing work? When trying to copy a reference, am I supposed to look at the reference, keep the image in my short-term memory and then look away from the reference onto my medium, "mentally projecting" the reference onto my medium, make a mark and repeat?
Because I can't manage to do that. By the time im starting to move my pencil, I have no idea what the reference looked like. Even when I'm focusing on a single line or set of lines. Do I have ADD? How do I improve on this?
>>
>>2808578
no. just look at each part of the reference that you're drawing and copy each detail if you're doing a study, or only copy certain parts if you're doing your own work but need some help with certain areas you can't do by yourself, like the nose, or a certain pose, etc.
>>
File: fb.jpg (1MB, 1132x1696px) Image search: [Google]
fb.jpg
1MB, 1132x1696px
do the arms of a non-muscular male have the same shape as a female arm? i'm trying to practice arms and when i make them do males I just make them a bit thicker but the same shape.
>>
>>2808582
i dont think thats what he was asking
>>
File: bg1.jpg (1MB, 1500x1622px) Image search: [Google]
bg1.jpg
1MB, 1500x1622px
How can I recreate this background? Especially the glowing mist in the distance - I tried a seperate Layer with Lighter Color as blending method but it just won't match. I also added a (blurry) paper texture on top with a noise filter. Is there a better way or do I have to fiddle around till it works?
>>
>>2808587
In general, no. The male arm is generally longer with less fat deposition and more pronounced volumes and separation, especially on wiry skellingtons.
>>
drawabox.com/

Is this actually useful for learning, the same as normal methods, or garbage?
>>
>>2808653
If you have to ask, you aren't gonna make it.
>>
>>2808657
That tells me nothing.
>>
>>2808578
Yes, that's how it works. Get medication. If you can't do this, you cannot learn to draw observationally which means you cannot learn to draw.
>>
>>2808664
"It's not talent, it's a skill, meaning everyone can draw!"

>*Disclaimer: not everyone can draw.
>>
File: 1483899136439-2129462800.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
1483899136439-2129462800.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Is this worth anything
>>
>>2808666
Fun fact: Disabled people are unable to do some things.
When we say "everyone is able to x", we mean "everyone who isn't dis-able-d is able to x".
>>
>>2808669
Not as much as you would hope. One to two thousand bucks maybe? If you have it, just keep it. It's nice :) don't sell it for small money
>>
>>2808675
Disabled people can draw. Not great, but they can and can get decent. Drawing with feet? Getting accurate at it?
I know people with severe autism who got decent.
>>
>>
There shouldn't be an issue when using mechanical pencil leads of a different brand in mechanical pencils of another as long as they're the right size, right?
>>
I would like to listen to art related podcasts while drawing but right now I have trouble finding something.
Can someone please give me recommendations?
I'll post tits.
>>
>>2806226
When drawing from reference, you can check exactly what you did wrong. Identifying mistakes is how you learn. This is vitally important.
Drawing from imagination is just drawing from reference, your imagination being the reference. You can't construct a figure from simple forms unless you can accurately draw the simple forms you are imagining.
>>
File: gregmanchess-princessmars.jpg (84KB, 1000x443px) Image search: [Google]
gregmanchess-princessmars.jpg
84KB, 1000x443px
>>2806226
Its a basic skill all artists develop. It helps boost your observational skills, provide you information about lighting/values/color/form/anatomy etc, so you aren't working blindly. You can work with reference and practice construction conjointly.
>>
>>2808702
back.
I'm good now, thx for your effort.
< tits
>>
File: darkness.jpg (35KB, 500x386px) Image search: [Google]
darkness.jpg
35KB, 500x386px
I have a question related to where to post artwork. It's mostly porn, but the problem is it's shota/loli and I'm at a loss as to where it is appropiate to post it. Exhentai? Tumblr is out of the question, deviantart obviously too, and I got banned at Hentai Foundry for something relatively innocent. Any suggestions?
>>
>>2808885
Now that's a feminine penis if I've seen one
>>
>>2807211
Take a look around you.
Chances are you're in a house.

Guess what someone designed your house. Someone designed your computer. Someone designed your clothes. You know that tablet? I'm sure there was a small team who designed the look of that.

ANYTHING that you see, touch, use has literally been someone elses design.

You know those cubicles that you're going to be stuck in for 40 years? Someone designed that too. Your favorite movie? A bunch of creative teams built that.

To say that art isn't important is to be completely ignorant to the world you exist within. Anything you interact with: the chair you sit in, the desktop UI, any game you can think of, product packages, clothes, shoes, cars, houses, weapons, utility items, utensils, your bed...Everything has been created by an artist.
Art is literally everywhere, and yet you choose to leave this world where your ideas are not only valued, but consumed by the public. Artists create trends, styles, and brands. While just developing pretty illustrations is totally fine, an artist can literally be the creator of anything. UX designers literally create experiences. It may not seem like art, but you are still creating the way someone interacts with something else.

I'm sorry you have to go, and you won't be missed. Sure artists arent going to cure cancer, nor are we going to mix chemicals together. But artists create experiences, and that alone is much more powerful in the long term.

Art is worth it, but it isn't for everyone. Peace man, go into business management or head towards med school. Art can be compared to these other professions because of the amount of training and influence it has on the world. Anything else and you'll be REALLY wasting your life.
>>
>>2809064
Thanks, anon just what I needed.
>>
>>2809064
wow you're even worse lmao
>>
Should I start (go through the sticky) on paper and pencil or just immediately use a tablet

I live in a place where I basically share a room with someone all day who sits right next to me and don't have anywhere else to go, how do you get comfortable drawing around other people?
>>
>>2809212
personally i'd start with traditional media first. when using a tablet there's this weird disconnect between the hand and eye that makes drawing initially harder which will only be compounded by the fact that you don't know how to draw.
>how do you get comfortable drawing around other people?
I think the first step is acknowledging that you suck but with consistent practice you'll improve. think about whether or not its worth it for you to suffer a bit of embarrassment now but be able to draw better in the future. after that just grow a pair and be comfortable with where you are.
>be a master at whatever level you are however little that may be; embrace what you have and continue working towards progress.
some paraphrased quote from a watt's video that helped me get comfortable with how shit I am currently.
>>
>>2809303
Thanks, anon. I'm absolutely 100% embarrassed by my ability to draw, but I think I can do it now because of you.
>>
>>2802062
aruurara had a lot of gif tutorials in his tumblr showing the way he made his pony paintings.
>>
>>2809311
link pls; guy looks legit
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (20KB, 559x315px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
20KB, 559x315px
>>2809311
>>2809325
lmoa
>>
Whenever I try to draw a portrait I fuck up the proportions in some way, and I end up with shit that looks bad because I've fucked up the basics. I draw using a tablet. What book or video should I be looking into to become better at this?
>>
>>2809458
do you mirror your drawings each once in a while whenever you're drawing? f not you should try it.
>>
How many months or years of practice before I'm allowed to start drawing the original stories and characters I think about every day
>>
>>2795849
Yeah its called shape design although some degree of basic anatomy would be needed otherwise your shapes won't look as good, but if you have a decent grasp of shapes then you can have not so good anatomy and proportions but yet make the drawings look good

The way you learn shape design is by studying yiur favorite artists analyze the shapes they use to draw things like hair stRands to the overall figure
>>
>>2809508
Draw it whenever the fuck u want
>>
>>2809508
You could literally do it now. Famous OCs like Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny character designs changed over the year before they got their final look we know today.

Draw what you think they would look initially in your head.
>>
Is there a discord or anything else Ven is on? It's not enough for me to wait untill she updates her tumblr. It's not often enough ! I want to be able to talk with her, show her my wips. Without her thinking I'm a stalker!
>>
>>2809508
Now, dude.
>>
i am looking for the proper term for a artistic technique i would like to look into more.
the technique is to have an image split down the middle depicting different scenes on the two sides.
this is typically done with halves of two people's faces across the dividing line showing some sort of duality between them.
>>
Should Loomis's Successful Drawing come before, after or alongside Vilppu's Drawing Manual? I suppose there isn't an exact order for this but some guidance would be helpful.

For reference I'm focusing on drawing in 3D and improving my knowledge of form.
>>
File: gmi.png (934KB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
gmi.png
934KB, 2560x1600px
Anyone have full version of this?
>>
>>2809947
>>
>>2809947

The progression is retarded. The 2nd level is as good as the following, it's just fewer lines. The "6th mastery" is a horrible uncanny valley abomination
>>
>>2809970
Ignore this stupid post

"uncanny valley" God fucking
>>
>>2809970
>The 2nd level is as good as the following

No it's not, note the additional suggestions of anatomy and form and increased dynamism overall

>The "6th mastery" is a horrible uncanny valley abomination

Probably why he put a question mark after it you autistic retard. An obviously tongue-in-cheek acknowledgement of his own lack of mastery.
>>
>>2809967
Thanks!
>>2809970
Ok, that's your opinion.
>>
>>2809967
>>2809947
What exercises should I do to master the prerequisites? I've had enough of reading shitty books. I want to practice
>>
>>2810038
Dynamic Sketching.
Drawabox.
Anything involving perspective for artists.
Keys to Drawing.
Loomis.
Proko.
>>
>>2810043
Fact is that I'm really frustrated right now. I tried shit like drawabox and after drawing cubes and lines for weeks nothing changed. I tried reading shit like fun with a pencil but it's just stupid and too beginner tier. I've read half of perspective made easy but it says only obvious things. I tried copying a photo using construction lines and measuring with my pencil but it came out shit.
I'm really depressed, I keep going trogh tutorials and drawing lines but nothing changes. I think I should start doing actual stuff like anatomy and faces but seeing how shit my hand control is I understand that I'm still a beginner
>>
>>2810056
Can you draw 4 boxes of the same size in different positions in the same 3D space?

Can you arrenge, tilt, see through them as you wish?

Drawabox isn't about drawing boxes, it's about understanding what happens with those boxes on 3D space. What happens when you want to rotate them. How you measure their proportions when you're tilting them, pushing them father back to a vanishing point or bringing them closer to you.

Stop being on tilt. Drink a coffee and relax, maybe some wine or beer or a scotch. Approach each exercise with a fresh mind and a desire to learn and get better.

Don't jump back and forth, pick a subject and study it. One last advice, if you're dedicating one hour to a study, you should have at least another hour to draw for fun, whatever you like. Remember why you enjoy drawing and why you're working so hard to get better.

Motivation is worthless, discipline is way better. If you can't deal with all that then you're just not gonna make it.
>>
>>2810066
>Can you draw 4 boxes of the same size in different positions in the same 3D space?
I did only the first program, but I don't recall stuff about "same size" or about measuring their proportion when you push them back. The exercises where simple "draw a cube in perspective"
>>
>>2810078
I don't want to bang on you since you're already bummed out but did you really pay attention to the lesson's description and exercises?

Lesson 1 exercise 3.4.

Read, apply, practice. If you can't do something as "simple" as 4 boxes of the same size in different positoins then you clearly missed the point of the lesson.

Don't give up, don't just copy mindlessly. Understand what you're drawing and why you're drawing it the way you are. What happens to the front plane of the box if you tilt it to the left? What happens to the angles? How much of the side planes will I see? What happens if I keep the box in the same position, but I push it back, or bring it closer to the viewer?
>>
Is drawing directly from life much better than drawing from photo reference as a beginner?
>>
>>2810043

i need to paste this somewhere
>>
File: birdthing.png (1MB, 790x980px) Image search: [Google]
birdthing.png
1MB, 790x980px
could anyone try to find the source for this work? would make a separate thread but didn't want to clutter, had it as a desktop since 2012 and cannot find the file for it or artists name
>>
File: 1483680003235.png (1MB, 739x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1483680003235.png
1MB, 739x1024px
What's the name of these types of pictures?
Trying to find more of them
>>
>>2810249
heavy-mind.blogspot
(.co.uk)
>>
what's the recommended size for doing a bunch of studies on one canvas? I'm talking about having good linework and space.
>>
File: 41-Udus9vGL._SY355_.jpg (5KB, 355x355px) Image search: [Google]
41-Udus9vGL._SY355_.jpg
5KB, 355x355px
How do I get out the lead stuck in the built in sharpener/pointer on a steadtler lead holder?

I was using it when someone bumped into me and the tip broke off and got stuck inside and i for the life of me cannot fucking get it out. I think my attempts have just made it worse.
>>
>>2810504

Use another lead to push it out.

But man, those leads are pretty stiff. They don't break as easily.
>>
>>2810545
I did try that, the other piece of lead just snapped off (but thankfully didnt get stuck) and the original piece hasn't moved.

its 2b its not even that soft ...
>>
There was this youtube video called 'figure sketching' or something where at the start, the guy explained an exercise he did where he would draw the same box in various positions over and over.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? It was really helpful.
>>
Do software tools help or hinder a beginner? Things like stroke stabilization, perspective tools, perfect circles, etc. I feel like they hinder in the long run by teaching bad habits but they make my strokes and drawings look so much better. I can't draw a straight line or circle at all, and it bums me out how long it will take before I can make anything halfway decent.
>>
File: 1nExKKO[1].png (194KB, 819x830px) Image search: [Google]
1nExKKO[1].png
194KB, 819x830px
>>2810978
Pic related, darker brown was done with tool after trying freehand.
>>
>>2790368
Are there other composition cheats like the Golden Mean/Fibonacci thingie and the Rule of Thirds? I can't find any.
>>
>>2810043
I'll vouch for Rapid Viz too
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
I was really disastisfied with how my last piece turned out so I've been trying to really improve by working on the basics again. I've been making a bunch of hands and while I obviously suck at the moment, I hope that I improve in some way in about a week's time. Afterwards, I want to do the same for other stuff. Is this a decent way to practice?

Also, what are some good exercises for practicing the methods of Loomis?
>>
I'm a fucking idiot and I don't understand how to ink stuff at all. Is there a book or a vid I can watch that focuses on inking techniques, particularly with western comic book styling? I just really like the large portions of darkness but I can never figure out how to make the right textures for certain objects or how dark I should make something.
>>
File: tumblr_ohxqojxr9u1vl80kpo3_250.jpg (60KB, 212x212px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ohxqojxr9u1vl80kpo3_250.jpg
60KB, 212x212px
sorry for the tiny pic but why is the shadow edge more saturated here? when and why does this happen? is there a name for this?
>>
File: sliders.jpg (38KB, 510x429px) Image search: [Google]
sliders.jpg
38KB, 510x429px
Which is the most accurate value slider in photoshop?

The grayscale slider is quite different to the luminance (LAB) and the brightness (HSB) sliders.

Lab and HSB are quite similar, but grayscale seems to have compressed the dark values a bit (or the other two have compressed the light values).
>>
Some anon recommended me a video series on color which went very in-depth about color theory, but i forgot to save it, anyone has it maybe? I dont remember the title, but he was showing various graphs about color at the beginning, thats the only thing i remember, sorry.
>>
>>2809524
>>2809528
>>2809787
What if i am in deviant autism scribbles level and it looks like shit?

Is there a bare minimum I need to be before I should start drawing what I really want?

Do I just need to do like 50% what I want 50% suffering through practice of what matters or is there a better way
Thread posts: 324
Thread images: 77

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.