[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So did I fuck up /ic?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 12

I just ordered the new Wacom Mobilestudio Pro 16in model. I am considering getting into digital art, and I actually have minimal experience in art. I have all Loomis books already and willl start once my tablet arrives. Was it a bad decision /ic? Will the tablet speed up my skill progression?
>>
>>2789095
Can you easily afford the tablet or are you a poorfag
>>
>Will the tablet speed up my skill progression?
no
>Was it a bad decision /ic?
probably, you should of went cheaper since you have minimal experience. if you are going for a art career in art later, it won't be much of a problem.
>>
>>2789095
>willl start once my tablet arrives.
Start now, you fuck. There's nothing holding you back from grabbing paper and a pencil.
>Was it a bad decision /ic?
Yes, considering you could have bought both a Cintiq 22 for your desktop and an iPad Pro for on-the-go usage and still have change left. Ultimately it doesn't matter if you have enough disposable income to drop $3k without thinking about it, so you're fine.
No. Especially if you think digital is going to help you draw better.
>>
>>2789095
WTF that thing is over $2000. These types of tablets are more for professional artists who are already making a decent income from their careers. Not for hobbyists or newbies.

It would have been better for you to get something like a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 for half the price. Even if you get bored of drawing you would still have a useful computer with a keyboard. Even the surface studio would have been a better buy.
>>
>>2789105
well the cintiq 22 is outdated with 1080p vs 4k on the new tablet. And the tablet itself is a cintiq when connected to a desktop and a laptop on the go vs ipad. Plus I hate apple
>>
>>2789095
yeah you fucked up. A tablet like that is good if you already draw 5+ hours a day and will be using it a fuck ton, or work as a pro. Not a piece of equipment directed towards beginners.
It's worthless to just own as a computer unless you are a pro artist or something similiar. You could get a better laptop for the price.

Kinda a huge waste of money. It's not going to help your skills at all.

Im jelly, It's annoying to see rich kids who don't draw buy expensive shit they won't use or appreciate fully.
It's like a 16 year old getting a porsche as a first car.
>>
>>2789116
Even though I only had positive experiences with wacom it's pretty stupid by default to buy the latest product right of the bat, plus you just started drawing?
Dumb richfag.
>>
>>2789126
well if I dont like it, I'll just return it before the 30 days are up. Hopefully it gets here next week since I just ordered it today.
>>
>>2789116
And what is 4K at 16 inches going to do for you? 1080p is still adequate PPI for a 22 inch display, you should have a better monitor on the side anyway. I'd rather have the bigger space to draw on.
>Plus I hate apple
Yet you're fine with Wacom selling you a device with a dual-core CPU for $3000. The iPad doesn't run photoshop but at least it's not going to throttle or have shitty battery life.
>>
>>2789132
yes but 2-3 years from now, the 22hd will be outdated by the 1080p and the ipad doesnt run desktop apps. The tablet can serve me as a cintiq for years to come.
>>
>>2789129
Not trying to sound patronizing, but shit learn your to manage your money. You can't expect a guaranteed refund, they can always deny it saying you damaged it or just not accept it for no reason at all.
>>
>>2789142
>yes but 2-3 years from now, the 22hd will be outdated by the 1080p
It's not going to be any less adequate just because higher resolutions exist. Right now it's a compromise between the larger drawing area and larger resolution, and I consider the larger drawing area a bigger benefit. A better idea would be to wait for newer desktop Cintiqs to come out and have both.

>and the ipad doesnt run desktop apps.
Right, and that means you get a more portable device with better battery life, with apps that are specifically built for it and won't be held back by its specs. Procreate doesn't slow down no matter what you throw at it. That's not the case with Photoshop in a computer with shitty specs.
From your OP I assumed you wanted a tablet for digital painting, which a Cintiq+iPad combo would cover well for both desktop and mobile use. If you what you want is a laptop replacement for general usage, then yeah, completely disregard my post.
>>
File: le skeptical policeman face.gif (756KB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
le skeptical policeman face.gif
756KB, 300x169px
Unless you actually plan on bringing that thing outside and getting mugged some time in the middle of its 45 minutes of full-load battery life, consider getting an Intuos Large, a second monitor and some traditional art stuff like paper, charcoal pencils etc. instead.
>>
>>2789178

the only correct answer...except large is a plus
>>
>>2789095
well you bought it so put it to good use
>>
File: IMG_20161223_225028.jpg (97KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161223_225028.jpg
97KB, 1280x960px
Every fucking time
>>
>willl start once my tablet arrives

Yeah, you're never gonna make it
>>
>>2789095

Should of did what I did OP

Few years back, bought a normal none screen tablet. And fuck tons of paper and pencils to learn to draw.

Fast forward to this year I bought a 22inch xp-pen tablet to digitally draw. Cause I earned it by learning to draw on paper and a none screen tablet. Spent less than 1500 by the end of all this.
>>
>>2789095
You really won't get any additional benefit out of any traditional mediums, so don't bother if you don't want to. People suggesting you get additional art supplies are basically just going by tradition. As long as you can always have your digital equipment to practice, there's just no point.
>>
>>2789283
You being sarcastic?
>>
>>2789288
Nope.

Unless you plan on using the medium you're learning, any benefit from learning additional mediums is negligible, and much of the technical skill required to become proficient in most traditional mediums simply don't translate to digital at all (I mean things like mixing paints and maintaining your brushes).

Obviously you can learn a lot of skills with paper or other traditional media, then take those skills to digital, but if you had digital to begin with, there's no point in learning on paper first.
>>
>>2789144
wacom satisfaction guaranteed
>>
>>2789288
I'm a fully traditional artist and I'd tell any newcomer to embrace digital ASAP
>>
>>2789095

Depending on what you're doing, it absolutely will.

If you're using any color at all, the advantage is profound. Compare:
Having to prepare paints and brushes and shit every time you want to practice, cleaning your brush every time you want to change colors (or preparing multiple brushes), then clean up, and getting a new canvas (cleaning your glass) every time you want to practice.

Vs:
Instantly changing colors, instantly clearing your canvas, no down time setting anything up or cleaning shit, and no need to manage your inventory of paints and other supplies.
For most things though, there's no major advantage. Producing artwork involves numerous skills, all of which take lots of practice to become proficient in, and most are more a matter of your understanding than the physical motions of your hand. Sketching on a tablet isn't going to give you any advantage over sketching on paper.
>>
File: order.png (80KB, 1559x837px) Image search: [Google]
order.png
80KB, 1559x837px
im excited... tfw I have an intuos pro medium I dont use only for writing on this picture
>>
>>2789329
>I have shit i don't use
>I bought shit I also won't use
If you want to troll /ic/ just post your paystub instead. Way more butthurt.
>>
>>2789329
>>2789419
Also send me your old intuos because I'm too jewish to pay for one but need tilt sensitivity.
>>
>>2789329
sell me ur intuos
>>
>>2789449
Do you know what you get for christmas when you're jewish? You get Q4 profits from the goyim and this year wasn't so hot.
>>
the intuos pro is at its lowest yet for $231...should I go for it?
>>
>>2789457
Only if it's a large. Everything else is worthless and only armlets disagree.
>>
>>2789095
Why didn't you just buy a normal cintiq and build a pc?
>>
>>2789458
I tried my friend's large, was like drawing on a surfboard
>>
>>2789457
Yes but the best size is medium in my experience. Small is too tiny and hurts the wrist, large pointlessly takes up too much desk space.
>>
File: Untitled-2.png (150KB, 696x813px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-2.png
150KB, 696x813px
>>2789458
I spent a lot of money learning what I now know-and what should have been obvious from the beginning-about digital tools. When I see people buying Cintiqs (like I did myself at one point) thinking it's going to give them a leg up or conversely buying a small or medium tablet "for a beginner" I die a little inside.

>>2789329

>OP just paid $2,600 for a 15.6 inch monitor (that is almost certainly smaller than the one he's using currently) with a piss weak computer attached to it

*breath in*

boi

I strongly suggest you cancel the order while you still can and rethink this. Don't fall for the screen meme. You know as well as I do that you're not bringing that thing anywhere, bud.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCHE0Tjw6MA
>>
>>2789110
Recently bought a surface pro 4 for a portable work laptop, heard good things about the n-trig and its art capabilities and figured that would be a nice bonus. However, the pen doesn't register softer strokes. Personally I think its disqualifying, but some people seem to think its alright(maybe its different at the higher tiers?). I'm still quite satisfied with it as a personal laptop, its very well-crafted in every other aspect.

>>2789618
Do you really think small or mediums are that bad? I still use an old Intuos medium and I'm quite satisfied with it. Kind of curious how swooping peoples linework is that they would need a large. The breathing room would be nice though. Mines starting to get worn down and I'm eyeing an Intuos Pro medium.

I gave the bamboo to my sister though, I do think its way too small/imprecise.
>>
File: medium v large.jpg (124KB, 913x713px) Image search: [Google]
medium v large.jpg
124KB, 913x713px
>>2789656
Oh yes; there's simply no comparison.

The best way I can think of describing it so that people who've never used it can relate is that it's basically a Cintiq that happens to be oriented differently. It's not an exact 1:1 screen to drawing surface like a Cintiq is (about .5 square inch difference between it and a 15.6in. monitor), but with all other than the most extravagant Cintiq models you're sacrificing a lot of screen real estate vs. a standard computer monitor anyway. An Intuos Large is second to none as far as conventional tablets goes, and I'd take it over anything short of a Cintiq 27QHD. Similarly if I were a broke nigga, I'd take the Huion Giano over any Intuos model short of the Large. That drawing surface size is just key, and more than makes up for some of Huion's deficiencies in some areas.
>>
>>2789710
I agree with this. Having the 1:1 drawing surface is most of the reason to use a Cintiq anyway, for regular drawing and painting at least. Most of the weirdness that people experience from switching to digital from traditional is the warped drawing surface.
>>
>>2789282
Hey, how do you like your XP-PEN?
>>
>>2789103
>>2789282
>should of
Kill yourselves.
>>
>>2789710
Wow I didn't know the diff in sizes was that big

Still, if someones strokes don't really go past the height/width of a medium, whats the purpose of upgrading to a large? I get its definitely more comfortable and would improve your workflow, but I have a hard time justifying it as more necessary purchase rather than a luxury one

Genuinely curious

And is there any drawback to the Huion Giano at all? I've looked at it and it almost seems too good to be true, all the reviews are great, literally the only difference I can see is tilt sensitivity which doesn't seem too important. Thanks for the rec, I've been thinking about switching and when my medium really wears down all the way I'll probably opt for the Giano.
>>
>>2790075
I like working with a large because I can have tools open and a ref on half the screen and still be working in an 8x10 area. But then I came from sketching on 18x24 newsprint and watching scratchy wrist action that people with little tablets do makes me recoil viscerally. It makes for some very clean lines with large strokes.

The drawbacks to the giano are that the hotkey mapping is basic as fuck and it doesn't have pen-tilt. The pressure is also a little weird compared to a wacom, but fully functional. I'd upgrade to an intuos large just because I'm the only person who actually uses tilt, but the giano is perfect for linework and most painting.
>>
File: me face.jpg (441KB, 1500x773px) Image search: [Google]
me face.jpg
441KB, 1500x773px
>>2790097
I agree with this for the most part, though I actually like the basic hotkeys. I prefer to use two hotkeys to increase/decrease brush size or zoom in/out incrementally rather than finger bang Wacom's "touch ring" thing and hope I end up with a result anywhere near what I'm going for without having to see-saw back and forth too much.

The Giano is definitely good, but like you said it's not perfect. The sensitivity is worse, it "peaks" too easily. I don't necessarily mind that the nib depresses into the pen a bit, but the fact it gets to 100% pressure before it's depressed fully is a bit of an awkward feeling. There's no tilt and no eraser, the buttons on the stylus can't be used in tandem with the stylus itself (i.e. you can't map your hand tool to the stylus which is kind of bogus). While these are problems, all of them combined are less of a problem than drawing on something that's like a 1/3rd the size of your monitor or less.

I'd say that the extra couple hundred bucks is worth it for the Intuos Large if for no other reason than that Wacom's monopoly guarantees universal software support. However if you're not willing to spend that kind of money the Giano is a far better option than any of Wacom's other models.
>>
File: huion-1060.jpg (26KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
huion-1060.jpg
26KB, 800x800px
I'll use this thread to ask...
Is Huion 1060 PLUS a good tablet to buy?
I'm an extreme poorfag with no knowdledge about tablets living in Poland so I probably don't have much to choose from.
>>
>>2789105
>Start now, you fuck. There's nothing holding you back from grabbing paper and a pencil.
well said OP is a faggot as usual
>>
>Wacom

Good Gaijin.
>>
>>2790270
I wouldn't want anyone to get the wrong ideas about it, but the giano is easily the best tablet out right now in the price range. The trash wacom is putting out in the entry level is disgusting.

>>2790319
It works well and is a good price.
>>
>>2790319
Get the Giano instead.
>>
>>2790319
>I'm an extreme poorfag
buy a wacom intous 3 then better hardware made to last a lifetime and inexpensive as fuck
>>
>>2790345
Is the size difference really important? It costs nearly twice as much here. I don't think I can afford that yet.
>>
>>2790352
It's not important. More than enough room to git gud on.
>>
>>2789095
It did to me
Good luck!
>>
>>2790270
I might just wait a little and buy the intuos pro large then, I don't want to be buying new tablets too often. I don't like brand premiums but I've been pretty satisfied with Wacom products, the much cheaper priced alternatives are tempting though.
>>
OP here, tablet set to arrive on Wednesday. Ill either post here or create new thread to show off my tablet and answer any questions about it.
>>
I'm posting from a mobile studio 13 now. Just got it as a present for christmas, birthdays, graduation. I love it. Helps me focus and keeps me mobile always drawing in different places other than my fucking room. Biggest plus right now is its less mentally exhausing than a standard matte tablet.

Not a pro, though I am trying to git gud.
>>
>>2790064
>should of
I feel you mang, not even american.
Jeez,
should of: X
should have: O
>>
>>2790650
Just stay out of your comfort zone and know the fact that anything you do right now is shit but don't stop.
>>
File: 00806082.gif (914KB, 200x113px) Image search: [Google]
00806082.gif
914KB, 200x113px
>>2789329

that's more than my car
>>
>>2790319

If that's all you can get it's second best after Giano out of all of Huion's shit, so go for it polandball
>>
https://www.huiontablet.com/all-products/graphic-tablets/g10t.html

Also new shit lads, looks kind of cool
>>
>>2793089
>https://www.huiontablet.com/all-products/graphic-tablets/g10t.html
>Also new shit lads, looks kind of cool

Thinking back on this what's stopping you from using an apple touch pad with your left hand?
>>
File: loomis babby.jpg (60KB, 1016x803px) Image search: [Google]
loomis babby.jpg
60KB, 1016x803px
>>2793089
Thing is a pretty big step backward imho. It has the same (deficient) active area as the H1060 pro but it's almost twice as expensive. It has half the hotkeys and they're broken up by a gimmicky touchpad in their place. Shake my head. Here's hoping a true successor to the Giano is in the works. There's pretty much no reason for this thing to exist.
>>
>>2793205
True but I'm more interested in using a precision touchpad as a secondary input device for panning and zooming and shortcuts now because that sounds lit af
>>
File: bulletproof.jpg (138KB, 572x690px) Image search: [Google]
bulletproof.jpg
138KB, 572x690px
>>2793208
It's probably going to be like the touch ring on the Intuos models. It sounds/looks cool and all, but a pair of hotkeys that allows you to progress in single increments is always going to be far more precise than this touchy-feely stuff.

All considerations other than the size of the tablet's active area ought to be secondary, you're not going to be drawing with that touchpad, just performing menial, tangentially related tasks with it that are just as easily handled by a pair of buttons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhqUk28OwHs
>>
what is the standard program to use other than photo shop? I cannot aford to buy shit. what are all you guys using typically?
>>
>>2793241
photoshop is like 10$ a month with the subscription. clip studio paint(manga studio) cost me like 35$. inb4 gimp is free, gimp is shit
>>
Hey a friend of mine just threw me $200 bucks as a gift and I was planning on getting the Wacom Intuos Art Medium. I've been drawing with graphite for a while but I want to practice digital art and explore colors... Is it a good introductory piece of hardware?
>>
>>2793269
Get a Huion Giano
>>
>>2793280
Wow that seems like a much better value! Thanks anon!
>>
>>2789656
>Do you really think small or mediums are that bad?
IMO bigger and more accurate the better if you're working on canvas more than 4 megapixels or vectors too
>>
>>2789095
You made a big commitment into a hobby you dont event practice. Hopefully you stick to it but only time is gonna tell that. In my opinion learning to draw digitally with a tablet or in paper is the same, but there are more pitfalls in the digital world. Just read the books and learn the material.
>>
>>2789095
>I have all Loomis books already and willl start once my tablet arrives.
The words of a person who will not draw for very long and will leave those books and that tablet to collect dust somewhere in their room.
>>
Tablet just arrived guys..here we go
>>
>>2795409
Post your drawings so this poorfag can get mad at you.
>>
>>2795409
Post drawings. If they are bad, I'm fucking coming to steal the wacom motherfucker
>>
>>2795488
im posting on it. what drawing do you want?
>>
File: kill me fam.jpg (139KB, 600x404px) Image search: [Google]
kill me fam.jpg
139KB, 600x404px
>>2795494
Just draw whatever, man
>>
>>2795494
draw a cute girl
>>
>>2789592
are you memeing?
>>
>>2789129
if you opened it, they charge massive restocking fees
>>
when you get tired of it, resell it at a loss to me specifically
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.