[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Whats a good program for digital art

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 5

File: majin_vegeta_by_sycra-d71gy04.jpg (196KB, 1024x1562px) Image search: [Google]
majin_vegeta_by_sycra-d71gy04.jpg
196KB, 1024x1562px
as the title says, give me your best recommend program
>>
if you have no money, paint.NET or Gimp
>>
>>2785640
Krita
>>
If you stop playing WoW, you can spend those 13€ in Photoshop.
Or pirate it.
Or download Krita.
>>
Mypaint.
>>
>>2785640
Programs don't matter you do.
It's like asking what's the best pencil brand.
>>
>>2785640
Manga studio for lines and sketches
Photoshop for painting
>>
many sycra's style is just shit. reminds me of that code lyoko show. which is probably one of his influences.
>>
>>2786022
>Programs don't matter you do.

Don't be another retard who thinks tools don't matter just because some asshole can do a figure drawing with a chocolate bar.

Yes a good artist can produce good art with bad tools and bad artists can produce bad art with good tools, that doesn't mean good tools aren't useful.

The difference between trying to do a digital painting in MSPaint and photoshop is clear to anyone who's not an idiot, and just because a skilled artist can make something nice in MSPaint doesn't mean anyone should be encouraged to use it or discouraged from using photoshop. The differences between Photoshop, clip studio, SAI, etc are smaller but still there.

>It's like asking what's the best pencil brand.

Digital encompasses so many different tools, different programs have a different character to them with different strengths even if you can get similar outputs with enough effort. Different tools get different results, you can't buy watercolors expecting an oil painting, and if you're trying to emulate an oil painting with watercolors "because it's all paint anyway lol" you're being a stubborn jackass intentionally making it hard for yourself.

Anyway, OP I prefer Manga Studio (I think Clip Studio is identical except for name) to Photoshop personally, but photoshop is the standard answer you're going to get and it'll be able to do mostly anything you need it to.
>>
>>2786046
Not reading that shit because it's probably all excuses and rationalizing laziness.
Instead of wasting time asking "what da bess" you could be trying what works best for you by doing.
>>
>>2786062
>you could be trying what works best for you by doing.
Because that isn't expensive as shit with traditional media and a massive waste of time learning a program just to find out you don't like it and it doesn't do what you need it to. Get raped illiterate retard.
>>
Manga studio/Clip Studio Paint.

+Perspective and symmetric tools.
+Temp flip canvans, not like PS which everytime transforms the whole image, and if you have a big file and a not so good pc you're fucked.
+Tons of specific useful stuff for comics (frame tools, reference layer, screen-tones, stabilizers, etc.).
+It's cheap

-Textured brushes work better in PS.
>>
>>2786073
do you know any amazing brushes in csp? there's a million on the download page but they all look the same to me.
>>
also in csp how do I use brushes I download from the clip studio downloader? I don't see them in csp after I DL them and you can't right click them in the dl window or anything.,
>>
>>2785640
I have three preferred art programs and here's my views on them.

Clip Studio Paint is phenomenal for inking and comic work, there's honestly no other program that can compete, in my opinion! Keep an eye on their main page, the program is often on sale and I got my version for only 15 dollars!

Paint Tool SAI is a very light weight drawing and painting program with a good brush engine that's easy to use and tinker around with. It's super fast and intuitive and I love how responsive it is even on my old-as-ass PC! It's a very basic program that doesn't have a lot of fancy options and filters and stuff like that, but it's great to sketch, color and paint in. I think it's about 45 dollars now.

Photoshop is my go-to program for finishing touches and after effects on illustrations and photo edition. It has a lot of features you won't find in other programs and it's nifty to have for that reason alone. It's quite expensive if you want to buy it *cough* legally. BUT if you don't want to pirate anything, you can download the CS2 version for free! That version should still cover a lot of the things you need.

Now, if I theoretically could only pick one art program to work with, which would it be... Probably Clip Studio Paint. It's the best all-rounder and well worth the tiny investment! I hope this was helpful, OP.
>>
>>2786068
Excuses and laziness.
Stay inferior.
>>
painter wasn't even mentioned
0/10 responses
>>
>>2786080
There is a smallest icon you have fond and click
>>
anyone here using krita? I have only started on digital. Seems like a good solution for Unix

> inb4 using linux for art
>>
>>2786076

Make your own.

It's way, way easier to do your brushes than in PS.
>>
>>2786124
how I make one that is more like the pencil?
also is there a good watercolor that is not too much digital?
>>
>>2785640
Krita.
It's a free opensource software designed specifically for concept art and illustration.
It's good for comics and animation as well and each new release actually improves the software.
Some of the features:
>perspective, symmetry and tile tools
>built in stabilizer and assistant
>16 different brush engines
>tag organizing system
>pop-up palette
>>
>>2786132

An inclined ellipse tip(change the thickness and direction of the basic tip).
Brush density pressure sensitive.
Paper texture.
>>
>>2785640
MS Paint.
>>
>>2786068
>Because that isn't expensive as shit with traditional media
How poor are you anon?
>a massive waste of time learning a program just to find out you don't like it and it doesn't do what you need it to.
Most programs for drawing are the same. Very rarely is there a steep learning curve.
>>
>>2785640
PS and sai
>>
>>2785640
Krita makes my dick hard
>>
>>2785640
Krita

I never understood how people could get acceptable line quality in Photoshop since it doesn't have tools for that in the first place.
>>
>>2787039
many people already pointed out that you should use manga studio for lineart instead
>>
Your options are:
>Sai
Weeb option, easy to pirate, everything ends up looking the same, weird shortcuts, makes good lines apparently, has a stabilizer to ruin you and give you a crutch. no transparency on bottom layer.

>PS
Have to pay for muh cloud or pirate an old version. Industry standard. Ctrl+Paint teaches with it.

>Krita
Free as in freedom. No guilt from piracy. That mascot. Animation. Just werks. Cross platform.

>Mypaint
literally who? Is this even still maintained?

>Manga studio
Don't know much about this one. Probably have to pirate or buy it.

>Paint.Net
Literally just a better MSPaint for making ebin memes. Don't use this for anything else.
>>
>>2787175
…I use Mypaint
>>
Fucking hell. Was sycra doing this ironically or is he really that bad?
>>
SAI for sketches/lineart
Photoshop + brushes from KyleBrush for painting + LazyNezumi for geometrical and perspective shit
>>
Unless you're doing all of your work in the emblem editor of Armored Core 2: Another Age for the PS2, you're NGMI.
>>
best program is work hard and work smart. basically the opposite of what Sycra did.
>>
File: ___6f_by_sinix-daci6uy.jpg (79KB, 1251x639px) Image search: [Google]
___6f_by_sinix-daci6uy.jpg
79KB, 1251x639px
>>2787175
how the fuck do i even paint in sai. i want to get stuff to look like sinix
>>
>>2789558
dont paint in sai
sai is shit
sinix uses painter but painter is a pain in the ass too
use ps
>>
>>2789558

Sinix uses corel painter.

PS is okay for painting, but I'd say try out manga studio / corel painter too and see which you like, the latter two are at least designed with digital artists in mind whereas adobe seems to show active contempt for its artist users.
>>
>>2789558
I noticed that most people either use Sai only for lineart, or use a shitton of layers.
>>
>>2787039
Probably by knowing how to draw.
>>
I use SAI 2, its just perfect for me. For whatever reason I cant get used to color in PS/CSP, if I absolutely need a proper texturized brush then I preffer PS over CSP. Of course, PS for final touches is the best.
>>
File: 1462072889233.jpg (307KB, 888x666px) Image search: [Google]
1462072889233.jpg
307KB, 888x666px
>>2787571
>emblem editor of Armored Core 2: Another Age for the PS2

Damn, that takes me back
>>
I enjoy using corel painter to be honest. If you're a student you can get it pretty cheap. (Though I'm sure there's much better.)
>>
For people saying Photoshop, I assume you mean Illustrator?

I got an Intuos and I'm using the included software, Corel Painter and that seems fairly competent.
Do you guys have any opinions on the program? The default brushes seem somewhat lacking, but I'm sure I can get/make more.
>>
>>2786022
Are you mentally challenged?
>>
>>2790302
They mean photoshop because Illustrator is shit for painting and is mostly limited to graphic design work. It may as well be called Adobe Vector Logo Designer

Corel Painter is a mess but does painting well if you bother to learn it. The only people I know who actually use it have been using it since the 90s though.
>>
>>2790302

I dunno to me the brush engine (while more annoyingly complex than ps) is easier for me to understand in painter. I feel like I have complete control and it's easier to make custom brushes that belong to me rather than hunting for other peoples brush settings. It's my favourite program. My only complaint is, in my experience, on my computer you have to drop all layers when resizing or you'll get lines and blotches. Also rotating can get laggy with multiple layers. Painter really isn't the program where working with 100 temp layers is ideal but directly on the canvas.
>>
>>2790363
>Corel Painter is a mess
What the fuck are you talking about, its layout is almost the same as photoshop.
>>
>>2791368
Painter is painter and it is stuck in the 90s and locked to a yearly release schedule that can't fix anything. It's dated but at least does what it says after a massive learning curve.
>>
>>2786025
only correct answer
>>
>>2791378
But photoshop is terrible for painting.
>>
>>2791377
I don't get it because it's really easy to navigate, but it does have a few bugs.
>>
>>2791382
Oh yeah that must be why so many professionals use it

Fuck off. If you think it's terrible for painting you obviously don't know how to use it. It's not the tool it's the artist
>>
>>2791392
>>2791389
I don't think it's bad, I think it's the exact same program it's been for 20 years. The UI is dated all to fuck and a nice brush engine doesn't quite make up for it. It's good for painting but I'd rather use something not as good because I don't have to learn corel fucking painter to do so.
>>
I use CS6 for painting but personally I think Corel Painter is superior for painting with my brief experience, I just have gotten used to Photoshop and am too lazy to switch.

The brushes feel a lot more intuitive, blending feels better, and it can actually take a real shot at imitating traditional imo. While CS6 is very powerful I don't really think it can compete with Painter in the last respect, and its a pretty big selling point for Corel even if they don't completely achieve their goal imo.

Does anyone have any good tuts for Painter? All the ones I can find are some industry pro just jumping around aimlessly for 45 minutes, or a video series that is the same way.

Been meaning to learn Painter better, still using CS6 for all finishing touches but been dabbling in it more and more lately.
>>
try medibang paint, its free
>>
What are the recommended vector programs?
>>
>>2785640
Perfect Santa hat

For me it's either Photoshop or Clip Studio Paint, it's the only program that can compete and if you're drawing comics it's even better.

I>>2794023
Illustrator is the industry standard AFAIK
>>
>>2794023
There are many programs that rival Photoshop when it comes to illustration and drawing.
There are very few that rival Adobe Illustrator.
I've tried finding any with a good vector brush and none of them come close.
>>
>>2787175
mypaint is still maintained, just not that actively...
>>
>>2787175
>Manga studio
Manga Studio aka Clip Studio Paint is dirt cheap and goes on sale pretty often. It's a great software
>>
>>2794028
>a good vector brush
How come that's so hard to find?
I've tried out programs that boast a vector brush and it was just a shitty pen tool.
>>
PS because it DOESN'T have
>stabilizers
>perspective tools
>symmetry tools
since any artist worth his salt wouldn't need that beginner shit nor should any beginner use it since they don't know how to do it on their own.
KYS krita/sai fags. Stop sprading your meme cancer
>>
File: 1482421116704.png (168KB, 748x756px) Image search: [Google]
1482421116704.png
168KB, 748x756px
>>2796255
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.