[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Its not specified in the sticky so I will ask here

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 8

File: 002.jpg (44KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
002.jpg
44KB, 500x376px
Are there any drawing tablets that DONT need a computer? Between $100-200?
>>
Maybe a used 3DS
>>
>>2784707

Why isnt there a tablet you can use on its own? You'd think we would have developed the technology already.
>>
>>2784703
>Between $100-200?
at that price range it'll be shit and I don't think they even exist. I mean you can probably draw on an old ds/3ds at that price range.

one of the cheapest I can think of is the Toshiba dynaPad which goes for $450
>>
>>2784711
Is this trolling?
>>
>>2784711

We do have the technology, but it costs 2 or 3 thousand dollars, it's called a cintiq companion.
>>
>>2784714

I'm not. Literally try looking on google and see there isnt one link up for the first few pages that would answer OPs question. I wont bother looking past page 5 as results become irrelevant. Are companies only pushing computer based tablets because they want to push their brand name even further?
>>
File: cintiq.jpg (404KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
cintiq.jpg
404KB, 1280x720px
>>2784715
This, better shell out some buckaroos.
>>
>>2784713
>>2784715
>>2784719

So the Toshiba is the only option?

$450 is the cheapest non-computer tablet?

Can anyone explain why non-computer tablets are expensive in the first place?
>>
>>2784716
There are plenty of tablets you can draw on. iPads have existed since 2010.
You're just not going to find anything worthwhile for $200.
>>
>>2784725
Because the tablet IS a computer. You either have a top of the line tablet with some kind of pen-input jammed in there, or a laptop with some kind of pen-input jammed in there. Thinkpad x220t is probably the cheapest option and the pen is shit.
>>
>>2784726
>>2784727

Never bought a Apple product, so yourr saying if I get a iPad it works just as much as a drawing tablet?

Which one would you recommend for drawing?
>>
>>2784730
I'd recommend a huion giano because pen displays are an overpriced meme and dedicated computers doubly so.
>>
>>2784731

Thank you, but lets stick to the iPad discussion because the Huion Giano looks a little big for me. What iPad would you recommend I get for drawing?

And if I get an iPad do I have to buy a tablet like Wacom to attach to it or anything or is the iPad standalone and good for drawing? Thank you for your time! Your answers are really appreciated and I'm grateful!
>>
etch-a-sketch
>>
>>2784737
if you get an ipad, you need to get an apple pencil or some other stylus for it.

I recommended the dynapad because it comes with a wacom stylus
>>
>>2784730
No, they're not as good as an equivalently priced desktop tablet, but neither is anything else in the $100-200 range. At that price you'd be lucky to even get pressure sensitivity. You can spend a bit more for a used iPad Air and get a wacom or adonit stylus, or look for cheap android tablets with pen inputs and settle for both worse software and hardware. Or you can spend a bit more still for a windows laptop/tablet with terrible specs.
You're not going to get a good experience in a mobile tablet without dropping at least $600 on an iPad Pro desu. You're essentially buying a small computer with pen capabilities, unfortunately shit doesn't come cheap.
>>
ITT tech illiterate wannabe artist can't understand why good technology is expensive and only made by a few people
>>
>>2784737
I recommend 100 sheets of 18x24 newsprint and three pencils (F, 4B & sanguine). Should run you about 8 dollars if you spring for nice pencils.

If you could draw, you would already know what to get and why because no one makes it to that point by being spoonfed.
>>
>>2784744
>>2784737
As for the cheaper iPads, all the third party bluetooth styli are kind of janky afaik but you can still have a reasonably decent time if you don't expect desktop levels of pen accuracy and sensitivity. Procreate is the best mobile software you're going to find, with a better brush engine than Photoshop.
I agree that you'd be better off spending your money on traditional media instead, though.
>>
>>2784744

OP here. iPad Pro it is then. I dont mind spending a little money. Thanks
>>
>>2784753

OP here again. Thank you for all the answers but now that I have arrived at the iPad Pro decision, what will I need with the iPad Pro? Is it standalone? Will i just need a drawing application?

What stylus would you recommend?
>>
>ITT: OP exercises extreme confirmation bias in his buyfaggery
>>
>>2784756

OP here, I dont mean to offend anyone its just the iPad Pro seems like a good device in general. Please dont be upset. Can you answer this post please and thank you >>2784755
>>
>>2784757
In 5 minutes, you went from not knowing shit about pen tablets to being certain the iPad is a good device. Go read some dilbertman.

The iPad pro is generally alright, you have to get the Apple Pencil. If you're going to get one, get the larger size as it has better specs and only faggots want a small tablet. It doesn't interface with your pc so you can't use it as a controller and the ipad has limited apps for drawing.
>>
>>2784765

Thank you but by good device I meant an all around good electronic device to watch movies and do homework on, but hopefully it is good for drawing too.

If there is anything else I should know about drawing on the iPad Pro it would be appreciated. Thank you.
>>
>>2784737
Stop fucking around and get the ipad pro 12.9 and apple pencil. Don't worry about getting lots of storage, 32 gigs are fine. You'll never look back
>>
>>2784770
Someone probably died in the manufacture of it.
>>
>>2784770
If only I had babby tier high school homework that didn't involve SPSS and rStudio and time to watch tiny movies.
>>
>>2784770

Apple pencil is the single best stylus on the market (of any devices) and Procreate is the only app you'll ever need

Download your favorite pdfs to your local Ibooks. A button to do this appears whenever you open a pdf in your browser. Learn how to do side-by-side screens so you can draw from reference, this is where the large screen really shines.

Get one of those protective cases with an adjustable stand, cheap ones are fine

Get a matte/anti-glare screen protector. They're cheap as shit and give your screen some tooth that's essential for drawing. Drawing on glass is slippery and feels bad. Make sure there's no dust or shit on your screen when you apply it. If you've used it before applying the protector, clean the screen with a cleaning kit, turn on hot water in your shower, then apply the protector right outside the bathroom. Take care to get it right and it'll last a long time
>>
>>2784776
>>2784770
So who's the shill and who is just a drone?
>>
>>2784730
Get an ipad pro with the apple pencil. It has pressure, tilt, everything you need. The price is a little steep but I'm talking as someone who used to be on the apple hate bandwagon, it's worth it.
It's essentially a slim cintiq companion but with no heat or battery issues, and only a fraction of the cost. About 600 vs 2,000 iirc. Not mentioning the convenience of it being a standard tablet. You can look up references, split the screen (probably want the bigger one if you'll split it often as you can still draw in the program), have youtube running in the background, etc.
The sole negative is that you can't use it as a standard tablet unless you have a mac. So you can't connect it to your pc to run sai. The procreate app is great, however.

If you want one in that price range, the only options are a ds, which has no pressure, or get a used netbook with touch capabilities. Or if you don't mind, a used netbook and cheap tablet duo like monoprice or huion. Though a netbook would likely struggle with photoshop and krita.
>>
>>2784779
>The sole negative is that you can't use it as a standard tablet unless you have a mac. So you can't connect it to your pc to run sai.
Duet does this on the Windows side, but it's a $20/year subscription on top of the base price. I don't know how good it is compared to Astropad, but the advantage is it works as a second display rather just mirroring your desktop, and the update rate isn't ass.
>>
>>2784755
>answers

I use an iPad pro 12.9"(i think? it's the bigger pro ver.) with Apple Pencil. There are like 5 drawing apps (I use ProCreate, 6.99 on App store) but there are others like Adobe Draw, Tayasui app., Medibang. I also have a Wacom Intuos but since my computer is shit my driver gets corrupt every few days and I have to reinstall & reboot... None of that for iPad pro. I honestly love drawing on it. I'm a beginner so seeing what I draw directly on screen where the pen is, instead of my Intuos tablet where I have to align with the monitor, feels much more easier.
>>
>>2784778

t.poorfag

OP doesn't have to research, I just saved him the time. I researched devices for a month before deciding, originally planned on the nvidia shield, gradually stepping up after looking up the alternatives. After taking the quality comparisons in consideration, and the fact that I'd be using the device for a long time, the choice was pretty simple, I give zero shits about the brand

I've tried plenty of other options, wacom ones are literally painful in comparison due to the lag and parallax. It's very hard to step down after getting used to the Apple pencil
>>
>>2784782
Ah, thanks for that. I do miss being able to mess around in various programs such as krita and it'd make getting around certain procreate quirks easier. Not sure if it's worth $20 but it's worth looking into.
>>
OP here. Thanks for all the answers! Mods can close the thread now. You've been a big help and I promise to help out future artists when I git gud.
>>
>>2784711
We've had the technology for a long time.
Its just that there wasn't a company that tapped into this market for digital artists besides Wacom and as a result they had a monopoly over it.

They would never innovate or come out with portable tablets for some reason, but now that the Ipad Pro exists, they are shitting their pants and scrambling to make something to compete with it.
>>
>>2784715
>>2784719
Cintiq Companion is full of bugs and definately not worth the money.

Battery life is absolute trash, and the digitizers for the pen aren't dependable.

You arte better off just spending 300-500$ on a Ipad Pro.
>>
>>2784805
I have a Cintiq Companion 2 and it's definitely worth the money.
It's not meant for using on a commute or anything like that, but it's more powerful than anything else in that form factor.
Digitizer drivers are shit as a whole. Wacoms are the best, but that just means that they're at the top of the shit pile, yeah. Pretty much just have to find a single stable driver and never update.
>>
File: le question mark man.png (287KB, 592x512px) Image search: [Google]
le question mark man.png
287KB, 592x512px
>>2784737
The notion of the Giano being "big" is kind of a misconception. Its drawing surface is the same size as a smallish monitor, maybe a little less. At (13.8in. x 8.6in) its roughly the same size as a Cintiq Companion, for example. You are moving your hand just as much in either case, with the notable difference of the Giano at least providing a flat surface to stabilize your wrist on without forcing you to draw hunched over a screen.

It may have a few hiccups relative to the far more expensive Wacom models, but at a <$200 budget the Giano is pretty much the only game in town, nigga.
>>
>ctrl+F 'surface pro 3'
>0 Results Found

what are you guys even doing?
>>
File: asus_vivotab_note_8.jpg (16KB, 600x355px) Image search: [Google]
asus_vivotab_note_8.jpg
16KB, 600x355px
$200
>>
>>2784703
uhh you can get a microsoft surface. I doubt theres a decent stand alone drawing tablet in that price range. Save up some money guy.
>>
Asus vivotab note 8 is probably the closest thing you'll find
>>
I just bought a surface pro 4 for art, would recommend
>>
You can get a used Surface Pro 1 for around that price range, or I think the fourth or fifth iteration of the Samsung line can run around $200+ used.
>>
>>2784839
not $200 smartass
>>
I've owned plenty of tablets so here's my input.

Surface pro line, even the 1 is probably your best bet. Anything lower then that isn't going to have good enough specs desu. I've had a thinkpad tablet 2, while it works wonderfully with SAI assuming you're not painting at higher resolutions of course, but aside from that and sketchbook pro it wont work with anything else. If that's fine with you the should be around $160.

I bought this for just under $300, while it doesn't use a wacom digitizer it does have 1200 levels of pressure. Problem is it doesn't work with SAI, but at the very least works with photoshop.

https://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/ASUS-Transformer-Mini-T102HA-Signature-Edition-2-in-1-PC/productID.5082192600
>>
>>2785028
>Problem is it doesn't work with SAI
shit why?
>>
>>2785028
Would it work for Corel?
>>
The problem with the pencil is there's no cursor which I want.
>>
The Toshiba Encore looks to be around 100 bucks, but it's laggy with photoshop says a review. Not sure on if it can run stuff like SAI. Because I use a cintiq 13hd, and my biggest problem is my back so I keep flipping between it and my intuos drawing tablet. If people have any good posture advice I'd like to hear it.
>>
>>278652
Here's some advice: stop using the Cintiq
>>
File: fujitsu-lifebook-t4220.jpg (71KB, 595x545px) Image search: [Google]
fujitsu-lifebook-t4220.jpg
71KB, 595x545px
has anybody ever used this? can it and it's other models be recommended?
>>
>>2787220
Its shit. Atleast buy surface 4
>>
>>2786528
traditional artists don't just draw on one surface and their art magically pops up in another surface like digital art with a regular tablet. they have to be in all of those positions too. did loomis have neck/back problems? this is BS
>>
>>2787248
don'r n-trig tech doesnt compare to wacom. I fell for the surface pro 4 meme and dont use it to draw. Linework is a nono on this tablet the best I'd say you could do is plein air studies or rough sketching.
>>
>>2787316
What drawing do you do? I've been playing with mine and it does wonderful lines.
Only discernible difference from my cintiq 13hd is slightly less pressure sensitivity but it's to be expected and hardly an issue.

Did you remember to turn off Flicks?
>>
>>2784730
>>2784737
>>2784743
>>2784802
>ipad
Lmao.
Ipad and surface are toys when related to drawing.

1) they are expensive, non-art devices
Ipad is a toy. Surface is a jack of all trades with full desktop OS.
More for design than art.
Ipad is just a mobile OS, using apps like a toddler. Both only have 256 POINTS OF PRESSURE. not even enough for a decent texture gradient.

How many apple fags holy shit. You cant even research for the life of it. You eill never make it.

As one of the first anons said, toshiba dynapad is the way to go.
It has 2048 points of pressure and special texture like any wacom display.
Its a work between Microsoft wacom and toshiba. Fully optimized for drawing, and yoi can use w10 and all yoir desktop aplocations. Its a fanless processor so no heat or noise.

That's by far the best deal you can get. O bought one for drawing on the go. And havent touch my cintiq display a lot since then...

About cintiq companions: They overheat, battery is shit, superheavy and noisy. Not optimized. Even the mobile studio only lasts 4 hours.
I would expect 10 hpur battery for that proce range.

But op is such an applefag who got wet over hearing "ipad" so all this text is for nothing.
>>
File: IMG_0905.jpg (71KB, 615x346px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0905.jpg
71KB, 615x346px
>>2787393

Nice shilling

The ipad pro screen resolution is nearly double the Dynapad's

Surface pro 4 is 1024 and the Apple pencil has at least that (it is more sensitive in comparison tests)

When it comes to low latency, absence of parallax, palm rejection, the Apple pencil is unrivaled so far. Then there's tilt...

Nobody buys an ipad pro to make bloated photoshop and Windows shit, they want the most natural stylus experience. No one is disputing that. The stability of IOS doesn't hurt though
>>
>>2784730
yes but only with an ipad pro. Im serious, you cant use the others to draw, they will suck at precision. The new ipad pro is pretty fucking good for drawing
>>
>>2787220
I'm looking for it too. its got nice specs.
Look for the thinkpads tablet series, if you're in a very tight budget. Thinkpads are very durable like nokia.

I used to have hp tablet pc but now I prefer using an external tablet because almost every-screen tablet aren't accurate and it triggers my OCD.
>>
I recently purchased a galaxy tab a 9.7 inch tablet for dickin around and sketching and the stylus it comes with is lacking in certain qualities. Anyone here know of a good stylus that will work with my tablet?
>>
>is there a keyboard I can use without a computer?

Christ, you're one dumb nigger.
You can either get a a computer with an already integrated tablet or you can plug a tablet into a computer.
>>
>>2787503
>windows shit
>ios stability
>calling other anons shillers
>>
i got a laptop with pen and screen functional for drawing for like 75 dollars, not too sure what model but it ran windows 7.
pen pressure was kinda bad but much cheaper than buying a cintiq, and if its only intended for drawing youll probably be able to save up and get a tablet to work with it too later on!
>>
>>2785026
Not that guy, but there are tons of references to Cintiqs and Companions here.

Also, Surface Book i7 here. Love it as a computer, hate it as a drawing device. Lots of lag with custom brushes, even with setting tweaked. The pen is also not comfortable to draw with. Would have rather dropped the coin on a Macbook Pro and a Cintiq Companion Hybrid, or just gone the iPad Pro/Pencil route, but the Book seemed to fit all my criteria in one package (AE, PP, PS, Ai, full laptop, drawing pad).

>>2787393
>no heat
BS
>>
If i leave my wacom plugged in with the usb cord will it damage the battery? cause it'd be charging the whole time
>>
>>2787393
lol shut the fuck up.
Ipad shits on everything surface does.
>>
iPad Pro is really nice actually.
I almost gave up on having a portable tablet for drawing since I tried the galaxy note, nvidia shield, iPad mini with a Wacom pen, and didn't like any of them.
Procreate was recently improved to work with keyboard shortcuts and Picarto also. There's a lesser known drawing app for iOS called MediBang also that I enjoy as well.
>>
>>2788523
> shilling apple this hard
>>
>>2785028
i'm not in any quick need for a mew computer
i still have my old bamboo wacom
so i'm not in really in any need to spend a lot of money for a surface pro
but i'd like something i can use to draw on the go with ease
this is still on sale
should i go and buy the Asus T102?
>>
>>2787393
>Its a fanless processor so no heat
>fanless
>no heat
nigga what?
>>
>>2788004
what is it lacking in?

mine didn't come with a s pen (wth bestbuy, and it was advertised that it did) so I brought a note 4 s pen which worked perfect for me. All note s pen are compatible with all tab a (wacom digitizer) tablets just you know.
>>
>>2784715

they're called Mobile Studio's now since they got an overhaul.
battery life is absolute balls though
>>
>>2786528
prety sure 6-8 hours of exercise a week will eliminate this
>>
>>2784741
Underrated post
>>
>>2784703
better Q: what is a good app for doodling on a tablet?
>>
>>2795818
i used autodesk sketchbook for a short while and it was ok, but switched to medibang paint and never looked back. medibang has a customizable floating toolbar that you can put brush, eraser, color pick, and flip horizontal on so you dont have to dig through menus. its very convienient.

its also free, so, yeah.
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.