[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does /ic/ know any resources for painting with tempera? Anyone

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: 1474726060871.jpg (316KB, 694x836px) Image search: [Google]
1474726060871.jpg
316KB, 694x836px
Does /ic/ know any resources for painting with tempera?
Anyone here has painted with tempera?
>>
File: sakura.jpg (237KB, 600x399px) Image search: [Google]
sakura.jpg
237KB, 600x399px
Think of it as pre-thinned gouache but slightly shitty.
>you're better off with a set of postercolor jars if you're looking for something similar
>>
>>2783185
>tempera
>2016
>>
>>2783205
Never painted with gauche so I don't get that comparasion
>>
>>2783205
I use postercolor for chinese ink painting, works great
>>
>>2783676
Trust me, go with gouache. It's a great medium once you get past the very annoying value changes it goes through when drying and you learn the right consistency.

Alternatively you could try casein but it's hard to find and I have no idea how expensive it is to paint with and how it feels.

Or better than everything else, you could go digital and save yourself a whole lot of pain(t).
>>
>>2783867
I know gauche was a fovorite of illustrators time ago but never seen many resources about it

I was interested in tempera because Its possible to make it at home by oneself and its kind of a middlepoint beatween acrylics and oils
>>
>>2783873
It's like a slightly thicker, opaque watercolor. You can go cover a layer of paint that already exists, but if you thin it down you can make washes like watercolor.

It's a really strong medium with a lot of possibilities, you can use it on top of actual watercolor, it's water-based so it's very portable, no toxic agents involved.

You can use it on relatively light paper or cardboard because it's only a fraction as wet as watercolor. Bad things about it is that it dries really fast so you can't blend, and if you accidentally rewet a dry layer when you're painting over it it's gonna make the colors muddy. Consistency takes a bit of time to understand but it's basically like the last stage of watercolor, sorta creamy.

Worst thing is that it tends to change value after it dries, but once you get a feel for what the paints will look like it's easy to fix. It dries in a matte, velvety finish that's super pleasing to the eye and looks really good in photos.

Honestly I really hated it at first but I bought good paints (schmincke horadam) and it made a world of difference. It's a little expensive but you're gonna use little of it. If you paint simple things at first and soldier through the rage it's really great.
>>
>>2783881
Not OP but thank you, this is a really helpful post
>>
>>2783894
No prob! As for casein, James Gurney talks about it on his blog.

gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/search/label/Casein%20Painting

I never tried it but from what I've heard it's described as some sort of weird cross between gouache and oil
>>
File: 1470091368477.jpg (40KB, 960x724px) Image search: [Google]
1470091368477.jpg
40KB, 960x724px
>>2783881
How do guache compares with acylic?
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.