[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where to start?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

It's been one of my dreams to learn to draw (specifically for concepting characters/environments) so I can eventually bring the games I program to life myself, but how do you even start? Everything that needs to be learned is so disjointed and a lot of the time I'm presented with material that require fundamentals I didn't even know I had to know or that they existed beforehand. I don't go too far with any of them because I always feel I need to know the fundamentals preceding them first. Like for figure/gesture drawing, I quickly realize I have to master construction of forms, which itself requires working knowledge of drawing anatomy, so I try to study anatomy, then I realize I don't get perspective quite right, then it's circular from there. Can anyone, preferably proficient self-taught artists, recommend some decent resources that convey the principles every aspiring artist needs to have a grasp on? I'm not trying to contend with the masters, but to be able to create something presentable, which I know is doable in a realistic amount of time. I ask here because I see the talent that goes around, and that talent has been nurtured through hard work. I just need a structure to follow to be able to progress as efficiently as possible. An anon would forever be in your debt.

(Pic obviously not my art)
>>
>>2781036
https://youtu.be/yq9L307_DQU
Watch this video and also watch the rests. They're really good and will teach you what you need.
>>
>>2781036
read. the. sticky
>>
>>2781042
Thanks! I'll check it out.
>>
>>2781036
How good exactly do you want to get?
>>
this is what happens when /beg/ isn't on the front page

oh wait the sticky is on the front page
>>
>>2781043
>>2781050
I did read the sticky, but it's very much lacking in terms of resources and structure. That's what I'm after right now.

>>2781045
Honestly, I would just like to get an intuitive grasp on the forms of the male, female, various creatures and objects, and to be able to draw them in various poses with good accuracy/proportions. I'll probably need to delve a lot into colour theory as well. I know it'll take a while of diligent and conscious drawing to achieve all of the above. Right now, though, I'm just looking where to start to get a good understanding of all the fundamentals I'll need.
>>
>>2781055
should only take 2 or 3 years unless you draw more than a couple hours a day, depending on the level you are at now.
>>
>>2781055
start with keys to drawing by bert dodson, do some sight size exercises, value studies, color studies. Do that for at least a year then you can move onto doing stuff from your imagination. Remember that there isnt anything like "how to draw an owl" or shit like that, you dont learn to draw specific stuff, you just learn to understand shapes and perspective and all that shit. If you want to draw lets say a dog, you just look up for a reference and thats it.
>>
>>2781055
"fun with a pencil" by andrew loomis. that's where you start
>>
>>2781065
not op, but can i ask when i should add bargue plates in to my studies?
like should i wait till i get more understanding about anatomy or is it good to do them from the beginning
>>
>>2781068
good to go from the start, they are useful to train your observation...apparently
>>
>>2781064
I can do the basic shapes and constructs (cube/cone/cylinder/sphere), but thanks for the input. 2-3 years is perfectly acceptable for me.

>>2781065
>>2781067
I'll dive right in to both of those, I really appreciate it.
>>
>>2781073
Can you post some of your work? It would help use guide you.
>>
>>2781072
thanks
>>
>>2781075
I would, but I don't have a scanner or tablet yet. All of what I've done so far is on paper.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.