[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm finally giving up on my dream of becoming an illustrator.

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4

File: 1452102196853.jpg (92KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
1452102196853.jpg
92KB, 612x612px
I'm finally giving up on my dream of becoming an illustrator.
I don't care enough anymore, and my job is too brutal to sink more than an hour a day into drawing.

I've decided to simply become a passing hobbyist. I don't want to see it turn into a job, but I don't believe in never progressing at all/getting worse.

I've got too many responsibilities to chase my dream. I didn't even look for it. It all came crashing down on my head regardless as to my own life decisions.

Is anyone else in the same boat?
>>
>>2773718
Good for you anon. You don't need to be an "illustrator" to illustrate. Just draw when you can and always try to get better.

But no I'm not in the same boat soo yeah.
>>
>>2773718
I wish I was a NEET again. I was one for 2 months during a short period of unemployment.

I was hitting 7 hour days of drawing everyday. It's quite likely I'll never get back to that zone ever again. I'm 20, and now my family has come to depend on me financially.

I went from being a horrible artist to a border-line mediocre one in that time frame.
>>
I currently have plenty of free-time, but I feel like I'm on a sinking ship regardless. Will likely be in your position soon but I'm holding on.
>>
>>2773718
yeah became a STEM major (another dream of mine). I was doing school and art at the same time, then had to adopt my niece and nephew even though i am in my early 20's because my sister was a complete clown who got busted by the cops. nobody in my family is responsible enough to take care of them so I am raising them right now.
>>
>>2773718
Never gonna make it.
>>
>>2773725
OP here
I had the same foresight you do.
I saw the end of my hobbyist days coming for me as each day passed. I really gave up on becoming a professional artist a week before my house remodeling job was slated to begin.

It's too much to get educated on. There's a reason art school kids come from wealthy families. If I had the money to do such a thing, I would be forced to go for practicality (STEM) regardless.
>>
>>2773718
Similar. I'm in college majoring in graphic design, but I still want to be a freelance illustrator. I never had any free time to draw except for now and I'm scared that I'll never have any more time to draw, so I'm making the best of my time now to draw and improve before I go back to school for spring semester.

My family hates the fact that I draw. They think that I am doing nothing but drawing all day and being a freelance artist wouldn't get me anywhere in life. But I want to prove them wrong by improving everyday.

>>2773728
(You)
>>
>>2773727
>stem + art
I'm in the same boat but struggling pretty hard atm, mad props for actually being able to do both. Good job for doing it and providing for you niece and nephew mang. We're all gonna make it. Also fuck your sister.
>>
>>2773718
Can't relate OP, I took control of my life and made time to study.
>>
I'm so happy I made it. You can all suck my nuts :o)
>>
>mfw saving enough to live for a month each week
See you on the other side, losers!
>>
>>2773755
>Fuck your family member

That's easy for you to say as an external stranger that has no personal connection.

What wonderful insight.
>>
>>2773848
Actually, having been in that situation myself as a child, it is an easy thing to say.
>>
>>2773785
See you Space Cowboy
>>
>>2773744
>>2773728 is right.
If you give up, you will never make it. As long as you don't give up, you will always have a chance.
>>
>>2773718
How do you avoid killing yourself? I think I would if I was in your shoes
>>
>>2774004
I find not being a faggot helps
>>
>>2774007
ok, but once I get past that, How do I move on from knowing that my dreams are empty, my life is meaningless and nobody will remember me, or you, two months after we die without making it as an artist?

Like, how do you get past knowing the only thing that you're building your life to is going to be forgotten so quickly after you go because you took a half measure?
>>
>>2774013
It would help if you remembered your reason for drawing.
>>
>>2774016
To be remembered for something when I die? to give my life meaning, so when I go, I will be applauded and revered for my work, for years and years to come? Something so I know that my life wasn't a waste of time when I'm lying on my deathbed?

why did you get into art? Maybe it doesn't mean as much to you
>>
>>2774032
I got into art because I want to share the images and ideas within my head that can not be told through words. It's honestly the only thing important to me now because I am not good at anything and so I would hope that I can at least get good at this one thing and finally show everyone what I've always been thinking of. Although, it's not so much everyone as it's also me. I used to just drop the pencil when I couldn't even draw what I wanted correctly, but I eventually realized that if I really want this, I'm going to have to pick up the pencil and continue on. It's a long way and there are other hardships pulling me down, however I won't give up because if I do, this'll be the worse regret I'll ever have in my entire life.
>>
File: 1431045815886.jpg (188KB, 1139x932px) Image search: [Google]
1431045815886.jpg
188KB, 1139x932px
>>2773718
What is your current job? I feel like I'm in the same situation. Think I'm gonna build up a savings and then quit and go NEET for a year. If I can't git gud by then I'll just wageslave forever or kill myself.
>>
>>2774067
You can actually build up a savings? How are you not completely living pay check to pay check?
>>
>>2773734
>>2773727
>tfw too retarded for STEM
>NEET in late 20s
>>
>>2774470
That's not how it works. Even if you're stupid you can be STEM. Art is for talented people!
>>
>>2774476
I'm hoping this is true, cause I'm slow as hell. Not even that anon.

I'm gonna go for it once I have some money saved up for a few classes.
>>
>>2774480
It's too late to get into STEM, the jobs are already all taken and unless you're the best, you won't get one. Just do art. At least that way you don't have to compete as much as STEM people do.
>>
>>2774483
What field are you in? We have a shortage right now, not that we will after the 6 years of college you need to do it.
>>
>>2773718
sort of, but i didn't take it as tragically as you

if anything i love painting now much more than when i did it out of obligation, trying to grind those literally over 9000 hours
>>
>>2774483
I'm naturally inclined to art but also have shitty discipline. I'm neet at 24 with decent skill but real bad social skills which is just as important to get anywhere. My mom is pressuring me into going back to school but I don't know what to go for, at all. I don't have the mental capacity for a real degree, couldn't handle the basics at cc ffs.

Sounds like I'm fucked either way. That's what I get for wasting all these years.
>>
>>2773718
You have made it
>>
>>2774561
If you're bad with socializing I highly suggest working a job in retail or something that forces you to engage with people. It really helped me become more personable and having to sell someone on a shitty product can help you learn how to sell yourself and your art.

Also, maybe just go back to CC for a little while, take it slow. You can also pick up a trade instead of an actual degree. 24 is not that old. Chin up you piece of shit.
>>
>>2774561
Just go for art classes then, a CC should have life drawing, painting, watercolor, and probably design classes too. You shouldn't think of it as getting a degree, but doing a class and learning something from it. There's no harm in doing bad anyways, you have infinite tries. CC is cheap enough for that.
>>
File: 1477489103411.jpg (22KB, 429x645px) Image search: [Google]
1477489103411.jpg
22KB, 429x645px
>>2774013
There's no purpose in trying to be remembered after death.

You will inevitably be forgotten when the better man arrives.

What a silly notion.

I only draw to entertain and bring happiness to the lives of others.
>>
>>2774988
>You will inevitably be forgotten when the better man arrives.

All great artists are remembered.

It's about reaching your potential.
>>
>>2775048
All the great artists had finances/financial backing to attain total mastery.

Likely not in this life time.
>>
>>2774013
what a naive idiot. after you die nothing else matters.

also, i guarantee you just 100 years after you die nobody ever will have a thought about you. some people are kinda remembered for centuries, but not you. most probably, 5 years will be enough
>>
File: IMG_4503.png (20KB, 386x516px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4503.png
20KB, 386x516px
>>2774581
Y-you too

But seriously am a bit too spergy and quiet for people's liking, can never hold a job and I've had retail/food jobs.

I will stop my weeping. I forget that I'm still young even though I feel panicky about approaching 25. It's just insecurity gnawing at me. I'll try cc again and finish the basics, can't imagine myself in a trade I suck at technical things.

>>2774611
Last time I felt good about myself was in a life drawing class there, can't believe that was 4 years ago. I am gonna go for it and try to sell some stuff that I have here collecting space. I really want to learn oils and watercolors properly, gotta move in some kind of direction and I know it will make me happier.

Thanks anons.
>>
>>2774070
I went to school for a good job. CT tech. My plan was to have a good stable job so I could do art worry free on the side. Turns out I hate this job and just want to kill myself now.
>>
>>2775113
Not gonna make it.
>>
>>2775789
>My plan was to have a good stable job so I could do art worry free on the side. Turns out I hate this job and just want to kill myself now.
How do people not see this coming a mile away?
>>
>>2775796
Because it doesn't happen much. Most people would drop the art dream and enjoy the life that a stable, well paying job provides. I thought I would be one of those people.
>>
>>2775806
Were you perhaps less fortunate before going that direction? I had a stable and well paid family growing up, so it's really not all that different to "have a stable, well paying job". All that'll happen is working your way back up to where you were before.
>>
>>2775808
>Were you perhaps less fortunate before going that direction?

I was, so my views are probably a bit skewed. I was taught that the most important thing was getting a good job. I should grow to enjoy it if the money is good. I used to feel retarded for not enjoying a good job. Now I feel retarded for making a career out of something I have no interest in. I can't be alone though right? Did I fuck up that bad?
>>
>>2775823
not entirely but there is, excuse my french, "privilege" in that mindset. Mainly that these days a lot of joes' just want stability instead of living paycheck to paycheck. That being said a lot of joes' want to not be in a job that makes them want to kill themselves either. Most people end up with either having a bearable job or struggling to make something "work".
>>
>>2775823
Unhappiness improves your chances of getting sick and there's a couple multi-million industries that benefit from that.

Do you wanna die young because you got progressively sicker at your meaningless life, or old because you got sick and couldn't pay for it? Those are your only options so long as you live within the system.
>>
>>2774485
kek they were saying this in 2007 when i was at uni for CS, shit hadn't even started then
>>
>>2773718

I gave up trying to be freelance artist and found a job at a convenience store. And you know what, accepting that I don't have what it takes to be anything other than a art hobbyist has been liberating.

In the following months my life transformed from that of a miserable basement dwelling troll to that of socially well adjusted guy with a social life and steady routines. I never feel stressed about paying the bills any more and through the job I met some cool normies that throw house parties and do a bunch of other social activites. I still draw a bit every day and go to the occasional life drawing class. Ironically I am now the "cool art guy" thanks to my normie friends who get super impressed by some shitty photo study.

Cal me a faggot if you want, but this is actually the happiest I've ever been.
>>
>>2776961
>being this delusional
Being a loser sounds terrifying
>>
>>2776961
post work
>>
>>2776972

What would I be delusional about, exactly?
Maybe you're misunderstanding. I'm not saying I don't have what it takes because I am not "talented" enough or some other bullshit, I'm just saying that I deep down don't want it bad enough. Maybe you are. If so, good for you. I am perfectly happy with just having art as a hobby.

>>2776974
Why
>>
>>2776961
>accepting that I don't have what it takes

that's a self-deprecating way to put it: you sound somewhat bitter

the thing you probably lack is enough interest.

And yes, painting is x1000 more enjoyable as a hobby than a potential profession.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.