[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

rest days

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

File: A8ai7PI.png (199KB, 1200x1332px) Image search: [Google]
A8ai7PI.png
199KB, 1200x1332px
I see practicing art on the same light as working out. It's when you are resting that you actually build your muscles after a good workout. After I draw, I take a break, and then go back and see all the mistakes I made. Even when I am not pulling a feng zhu 16 hr/day I still draw better than before.

Do you take rest days?
>>
More like rest months lmao
>>
>>2773538
did you get better when you returned or did you get worse
>>
>>2773540
not that anon, but I just returned the same, but much more creative and with 100% less hatred of everything measurable.
>>
>>2773527
I once took 4 years off. I came back worse than before but after drawing a bit, I caught up and got better than previous pretty quickly.

I also took a couple months off and came back better than before. I was able to see what I did wrong in my past art and not only that, but how to improve it. This is why when I draw something and I am stuck, I leave it alone for a while.

I think what helped was that even when I am not actively drawing, I am still observing and studying things around me and exposing myself to other people's art. It's an active engagement.
>>
>>2773527
>Do you take rest days?
Once a week, but I don't try to sell it as anything else then relaxing and regaining energy for the following week.

Resting periods aren't really building memory, sleep is. So going through your stuff once more before bed is always a good idea.
>>
>>2773527
Rest days? What the fuck? I don't care even if you are on your death bed with a nanomachine hooked up to your hear--you draw. NGMI.
>>
>>2773577
This I agree with. Drawing and fitness (while you can draw similarities) and fundamentally different in that fitness is more physical/ less mental and drawing is, in my opinion, 20/80 when it comes to a physical and mental split. If I haven't drawn for a couple days it takes a while to get back into it regarding muscle memory and such.
>>
File: 1481442522195.png (9KB, 171x295px) Image search: [Google]
1481442522195.png
9KB, 171x295px
>>2773580
you've never been physically exhausted from drawing before?

>>2773573
>Resting periods aren't really building memory, sleep is.

This.
>>
>>2773527
Sometimes when I'm burned out I take a 2-3 day break and I completely disconnect from art blogs and shit
I just watch movies and try to think as little as possible about art
Usually it's pretty refreshing and I recommend it
>>
>>2773595
Physically? Not once. Mentally? Frequently...
>>
>>2773597
I wouldn't recommend breaks longer than a day, maximum two. It breaks the habit of drawing you built up. After three days you will (generally) have trouble jumping back to your former productivity level.

I see no value in longer art breaks. If you're on vacation or so, it's okay to cut your hours and just draw in your sketchbook, but at least draw. If you burn out on a regular basis you are either just not cut for it, or, more likely, have a shitty schedule. Being a workaholic seems great at first but is super toxic in the long run.

>>2773608
And that's why well placed breaks are so important.

I feel a lot of d/ic/ks have completely unrealistic ideas regarding art practice. I blame Feng Zhu.
>>
>>2773623
>After three days you will (generally) have trouble jumping back to your former productivity level.
This is true but I intentionally seek this 'cause I can iron out those few kinks I built up over time and I didn't think about refining. I take a break when I'm really burned out / depressed and I just can't bear looking at my art anymore. When I come back I want to draw different shapes or proportions or I just notice where the problem is with a thing I'm drawing.
It's not a surefire way to get better but sometimes it works, especially if you're prone to burning yourself out.
>>
>>2773623
It's a hobby, it doesn't really do any harm to take a few days off and focusing your mind on something else is often quite productive. I take a couple weeks off once a year and devote it to something else and usually come back with a new resiliency and perspective that can't grow if you stay in the same mindset all the time.
>>
I have been drawing for 4 years every day. Sometimes I wonder if I'm doing me a disservice by doing so. Fwiw I've noticed that there are days when I can't see form as clearly as others.
>>
>>2773527
not gonna make it
>>
>>2773580
All mental things have some physical basis you retard.
>>
why is drawing so fucking tiring? all we're doing is sitting around
>>
>>2773857
All mental things have some physical basis you retard.
>>
>>2773580
You may just be slow in general.
I don't work on weekends and my quality sees a steep hike in monday-wednesday compared to thursday and friday.
>>
>>2773648
You're literally ruining your eyes, tendons and most likely ignoring glaring flaws in your technique because you never give your brain time to disenfranchise.

So yes, you're stifling your progress.
>>
>>2773648
Honestly, I'm impressed and I hope I will be able to do that as well. Would you mind sharing your art progress?

Also, I wonder, where you consistent in your hours or are there days where you only doodle for a few minutes? (Which would be still impressive, considering you did it for four years.)
>>
>>2773566
this is exactly what happened to me with guitar
>>
File: tumblr_oi1x5u9IgL1sl6pc8o1_1280.png (757KB, 1023x887px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oi1x5u9IgL1sl6pc8o1_1280.png
757KB, 1023x887px
>>2774133
My index finger feels swollen particularly when I contract it, as for the rest I started using glasses a year ago but I needed them well before that.

>>2774233
Pic related, also this is my 1st dA page: http://firez-da.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=120

And the latest one:
http://firez-da.deviantart.com/gallery/?offset=0

As for your question, there are some days when I only do rendering, it's a bad habit that I'm trying to correct but unfortunately I do rendeer a lot and on top of that I'm quite slow. I would say I average 2 hours per day, I would do more but unfortunately I have a full time job and attend college.

Thanks for the good wishes
>>
>>2774593
You are fucking inspiring man! Don't let others bring you down and your progress is really really nice too see. We allt started from somwhere but you kept on going and now just look at your results. Great work!
>>
>>2774593
I never understand how you manage to study, work, post here constantly AND always draw
>>
File: 1439781230771.jpg (58KB, 493x549px) Image search: [Google]
1439781230771.jpg
58KB, 493x549px
>>2774593
I'm proud of you m8
>>
>>2774133
>>2774593
This is undoubtedly why you don't see your mistakes.
>>
>>2773527

First you have to draw enough to get into a drawing mentality, then get the fuck out for a time but not enough not to get soft, that's my holy grail.
>>
>>2774593
Stop drawing on sundays and you'll improve even faster.
You are improving, this guy >>2778015 is a fag, but you do have a tendency to ignore certain critiques despite claiming you're not, and that comes from not disenfranchising.
>>
>>2778451
>fag
Lower that sword, your knightliness. Most men in their thirties can handle neutral observations.
>>
>>2777655
2 hands
>>
>>2774133
You don't even know how many hours they're putting in dumbass
>>
>>2778451
>>2774133
>deprive (someone) of the right to vote.

What the FUCK are you even talking about

>don't draw everyday bro you won't improve that way you gotta slack off man

You can draw everyday and improve steadily just by taking breaks for a few hours.
>>
Never. always make an effort to draw something every day
>>
>>2778632
The only people who parrot the draw 16 hours everyday meme are dunning-kruger losers. Every working professional tells you to exercise and take days off
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.