[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Question Thread

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 311
Thread images: 64

File: QuestionMark.jpg (70KB, 673x443px) Image search: [Google]
QuestionMark.jpg
70KB, 673x443px
If you don't know where to start, read the sticky.

>>1579290

For critiques about your work, go to the corresponding thread.

>>2770423 - Beginner thread
>>2767372 - Draw thread
>>2767968 - Alternative Art/Stylization General

Please refrain from making your threads if you only have a single question.
>>
File: ss (2016-12-09 at 08.42.31).jpg (151KB, 655x656px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-12-09 at 08.42.31).jpg
151KB, 655x656px
Where can I learn about the Reilly Head Abstraction?
>>
>>2770625
I think Ron lemen is the best at teaching it
>>
Reposting here by the advice of a friendly and helful anon.

I recently wanted to get into inking, and purchesed both a copic multiliner and a felt tip brush pen.
What is the different applications of the two? In what situation should i use each?
Thanks lots.
>>
>>2770639
This is how you use pens (like the multiliner)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX4SZwhU_dc

With the brush pen play around with gesture, use it for hair and filling in big spaces of value, etc.
>>
reposting from another thread, didn't get advice except taking classes, which is not an option for me rn.

so i'm moving back to live with parents so i can focus on studying by myself.
right now i'm pretty much have no skills except doodling animu stuff.
was thinking to follow this schedule for beginning:
warm up - free handing from imagination
keys of drawing (i can't draw from reference and life for shit)
perspective
peter han exercises

anyone who's more experienced can tell me if it's a good plan?
>>
I want to imitate the flat coloring style that old comics used
Beside photoshop what is a good program and tool to do it?
>>
>>2771182
>i want to use a fill bucket and hide my shitty art behind the shield of 'stylization'
kill yourself
>>
>>2770682
For the first months, if you draw at all everyday, it's good. Once you get into the habit then you can see what you need.
>>
File: 22d453a08e28015180758e4a54102219.jpg (416KB, 1866x500px) Image search: [Google]
22d453a08e28015180758e4a54102219.jpg
416KB, 1866x500px
>>2771182

based on how these were actually made

red dots in screentones for pink etc
similar to what the post/impressionists did and artists like chuck close

they would lay down the color first, then place the black lines over it, sometimes you get this off centerness to the black that is very indicative of the "style" of these comics

research what colors they had available for mass production

pic related, Roy Lichenstein beat you to the punch, google his process
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben-Day_dots
>>
File: Untitled.png (89KB, 1344x712px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
89KB, 1344x712px
>>2771182
>>2771226

sorry i misread your question

MSpaint actually has these nice monochrome textures that imitate comic screentones that you can then export into photoshop

open a new canvas in paint > save untitled as monochrome bitmap > are you sure? yes > boom pic related
>>
What in your opinion is the best figure mannequin to memorize? (except Loomis)

I know Proko's, but I would like something more detailed, something that I can memorize and quickly build figures upon without the "gesture phase"
>>
File: Untitled.png (458KB, 1117x842px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
458KB, 1117x842px
>>2771257

not sure if this is what youre looking for but i like the frank reilly method and find it useful for drawing thick bitches in particular
no need to memorize either
>>
File: 1470289.png (10KB, 259x224px) Image search: [Google]
1470289.png
10KB, 259x224px
Lately my knuckles and wrist have been aching when I draw, what can I do to ease the pain? Am I going to have to actually not draw for a few days?
>>
File: asdsa.png (156KB, 1088x500px) Image search: [Google]
asdsa.png
156KB, 1088x500px
>>2771271

cant remember what its called but this stretch always makes some muscle feel better

do so at your own risk but its like you cross your arms at your elbows and twist and link up your fingers or as much as you can
>>
>>2771270
It's pretty good, however I would like a method that you can memorize and draw figures without too many gesture lines. I want to be able to draw a convincing figure that is decently detailed ("semi-anatomical") but still simple from imagination.
>>
>>2770627
where can i find his teachings lmao
>>
>>2771271

Carpal tunnel syndrome. Please stop drawing for a few days and don't do things that strain the hand/wrist. I'm a musician in my spare time (when i'm not drawing) and I play different instruments (violin, piano, guitar, bass) so it's a common problem. My friend (violin player) had to completely stop playing for like a year and had to wear a wristband. It's serious stuff, please don't make it permanent (as in you can't draw for literally years, as your hand starts hurting after 2 minutes of drawing or even just holding the pen)
>>
>>2770617
Is there a /ic/ Discord?

Even /3/ has one...
>>
>>2770625
that dudes head sketches are the best, i wish he would post a vid on the reilly method
>>
>>2771226
>>2771232
Thanks but I'm more interested on the smooth flat colors like the page I posted
>>
File: 10151.png (7KB, 278x140px) Image search: [Google]
10151.png
7KB, 278x140px
>>2771330
Oh shit oh shit oh shit
Do you think I'll be okay by Monday if I don't draw over the weekend? And will using my computer constantly (I also like music and compose in Cubase) hurt it too...?
>>
>>2771491
Some people have problems with using computer mouses yeah but if you usually use a mouse and its really just drawing that causes the ache then you should be fine

Just dont do whatever makes it hurt for a few days
>>
>>2771191
thanks,i plan to start with about 6-8 hours each day
>>
File: dynamic-action.png (14KB, 96x98px) Image search: [Google]
dynamic-action.png
14KB, 96x98px
>>2771270
>>
>>2770682
Not quite what you need.

Warm up - Gesture drawing. Do this every day for your entire drawing career if you can.
Otherwise it's pretty good but you're going to have to work on drawing what you see accurately and work on your values daily as well
>>
>>2771491
You don't have to stop drawing entirely for days but you should do as little as possible and stop when it starts to hurt. Also, there will be days where it starts feeling better but you need to remember you still can't go for hours, you need to take a break from activities every 15 minutes. You can use a program called workrave, it will make you take breaks which is so important for things like this.

Don't flex your wrist too far in either direction, try to keep it in a splint and do this especially when you are playing music or drawing until you are certain it has healed up entirely.

Take some ibuprofen, try taking 3 ibuprofen 3 times a day (should be about 900mg per dose) so the inflammation will go down enough for it to heal. I had to do this with the shoulder tendonitis I got from not relaxing while drawing on an easel for a whole month. Doctor told me about the ibuprofen thing, you can look up what's safe to take if you're skeptical of some anon on the internet telling you about it. Make sure you eat a snack or something when you take it, keep very hydrated, and don't do it for longer than 7 days.

Look up stretches for carpal tunnel, doing these throughout the day should help relieve the pain and help you heal faster.

Also it sounds like you draw with your wrist too much. While it's immobilized train yourself to use your shoulder and elbow to draw much more, it'll help prevent this in the future and it will improve your form while drawing.

Good luck man.
>>
>>2771578
That's a good amount of time man keep it up.
>>
File: 1343415399040.jpg (33KB, 368x348px) Image search: [Google]
1343415399040.jpg
33KB, 368x348px
How long is a typical, professional level painting supposed to take? I've heard some people say 10 hours, others 6 hours, I've even heard some pros say that it can take like 20 to 40 hours; I remember Noah Bradley once saying he takes like 3-6 weeks on each painting...
>>
>>2771656
Depends on the person and how big/detailed the painting is supposed to be, and if it's traditional or digital
>>
>>2771629
>work on drawing what you see accurately
yes that's what i plan on with my initial studies now

sometime back when i tried to start studying i started with anatomy and gestures, but i think it was a mistake to start with it because i don't have the skills of drawing from life or reference and i felt like there was a gap and i was focusing on something too specific. like i was at a point where i could draw a human figure from reference or imagination but i couldn't draw simple stuff like a cup or a chair without it looking wonky af
so now i just want to start with the basics and train the eye and hand. and add on anatomy studies later on, maybe like in a month or two. same plan with values i guess, or should i start with them from the start?

>>2771652
thanks, i'm so glad i have so much free time now
>>
>>2771700
No it's not a mistake to do gesture. That's the most basic exercise you can do to warm up. And the best way to get that skill from drawing from life and reference is always gesture first. Even if you feel you suck do it every day and within a month you'll see solid improvement.
>>
>>2771704
does make sense when you put it that way, i'll add it to the warm up routine. thanks!
>>
File: schenck anguish.jpg (85KB, 799x459px) Image search: [Google]
schenck anguish.jpg
85KB, 799x459px
Whenever I try to draw spaces rather than shapes for more than 10 minutes or so I get a nauseous headache and go cross-eyed.

Is just pushing through the only way to get over this?
>>
>>2771726
you might be retarded
>>
File: 1464042370187.png (23KB, 242x120px) Image search: [Google]
1464042370187.png
23KB, 242x120px
>>2771726
...How are you looking at it? Are you straining your eyes or something? That's actually user error at that point.
>>
>>2771728
Could be

>>2771729
Just trying to focus on "what's actually there" becomes physically difficult, even painful. I'd imagine it's a similar feeling some people get when they try to do math (their "head hurts"). I'm probably just that awful.
>>
>>2771726
Get glasses
>>
File: neg_mugchair.jpg (13KB, 395x227px) Image search: [Google]
neg_mugchair.jpg
13KB, 395x227px
>>2771738
Nigger, I'm fucking shit and even I don't have to focus so damn hard that my head hurts. Have you tried doing basic negative drawings of simple shit?

And you aren't even drawing what's "actually there". You're just focusing on the actual outline of an object.

If you can't even do basic objects with form, draw from stencils or something instead. That shit is flatter and amorphous than anything.
>>
File: 20161209_030305.jpg (2MB, 3024x1263px) Image search: [Google]
20161209_030305.jpg
2MB, 3024x1263px
Should I paint this?

How would you go about?
>>
>>2771839
I'd be doing it with oils, btw.

In doing an underpainting, should I use something like liquin rather than linseed oil to quicken the drying time?

Do you note the color temperature of your underpainting/account for a cool base to warm light?
>>
http://2d.cgmasteracademy.com/art-of-color-and-light.html

Is this course any good?
>>
I just recently gathered resources for art and started practicing but I didn't even bother to check if Drawing on the right side of the brain had anymore revisions. Just came to realize that now that I added /ic/ to my boards to frequent.

Finding myself reading the third revision of the book and I'm not sure if I should ditch this one for the 4th revision. About to read chapter 3, already did the self portrait and the other exercises.

Also where can I learn shading/lighting. So far the stuff I have doesn't go over that, or at least I haven't reached that part so far. Would like to put that in practice asap.
>>
I just want to do kemono shit. What should I prioritize.

the sticky is too broad imo.
>>
>>2771933
>furry shit
>using a weeaboo term
>too retarded to follow the sticky
kill yourself
>>
>>2770625
Seek out watts atellier online program

Ron Lemen's Gnomon DVD's

also Nathan Fowkes LAAFA course on portraiture

and of course the legend Glen Orbik Head Drawing class on Zarrola
>>
>>2771182
Gouache? also check out 3d programs to help and make it quick and easy tooo
>>
>>2771414
who is he?
>>
>>2771839
You would start by either painting it from life or taking a picture that isn't a piece of shit. You're going to have to invent a lot of color to make those shadows look decent, everything looks washed out and the blacks are crushed.

As for your underpainting, you can use a drying medium or just use a fast drying earth color like raw umber.
>>
in clip studio paint, how do i open the sub tool detail window? when i click the little wrench icon nothing happens when i got to menu _> sub tool detail and click it nothing happens. Is it bugged? It's making me crazy right now. resetting workspace does nothing
>>
>>2772049
>using a meme program
>>
>>2772051
what's wrong with it? krita, photoshop, and sai are much more meme at this point. why should anyone use anything else? clip studio is amazing.
>>
>>2772052
PS is industry standard you weeaboo
>>
>>2772032
Thanks.
>>
>>2771948
>3d programs
Like?
>>
>>2771939
I don't see how repeating what I said brings up a point at all but alright.
>>
>>2771656
Concept art, keyframes, or rough illustrations can take from 3-9 hours depending on the deadline and need. Actual finished illustrations (backgrounds, splash pages, etc) shouldn't take you more than 30 hours.

Noah Bradley is very inconsistent when it comes to lengths of time. I've seen him paint these giant Mtg lands traditionally, and I've seen him paint quite standard landscapes digitally.

Speed takes a while to build up to, so don't get discouraged if it takes you a while to paint something. Paint until your finished. Soon enough, you'll be lightning fast because you'd have learned how to simplify, indicate, and capture specific feelings/textures/forms in your paintings that no noob can ever think to portray.
>>
>>2772052
Seems like it's shitposting hour anon, don't mind him.
>>
How much is a reasonable price to charge for commissions at this skill level? What would be the bare minimum/maximum? Not mine but approximately same skill
>>
>>2772125
Depends on how autistic the person is. Just take advantage of them.
>>
File: simplify.jpg (627KB, 3024x1263px) Image search: [Google]
simplify.jpg
627KB, 3024x1263px
>>2771839
Start by doing a nice warm oil wash with burnt sienna+a little bit of cad red (or any red that's bias towards yellow...so no alizarin crimson). Then do a nice drawing of the dog with burnt sienna or burnt umber. After that, mix a nice and dark shadow color and block that in everywhere. Then add local colors, half-tones, etc etc.
Pic related, it might help with the blocking in.
>>
>>2772127
I'm asking because I want to start commissions. I'm kinda autistic if matters.
>>
>>2772128
Thanks Anon, good ideas.
>>
why so much anger? a lot of what i read here seems counterproductive
>>
File: pepe.png (98KB, 612x491px) Image search: [Google]
pepe.png
98KB, 612x491px
So I've been lurking on this board for a while now, and I finally decided I'm going to start drawing today. Where should I start? Loomis? Scott Robertson? Keys to Drawing? Drawabox? help pls
>>
>>2772323
Something that you enjoy, because it's gonna be carcinogenic anyways, then build from there
>>
>>2772323
This.>>2772324

Pick something you enjoy and stick with it until you finish. It honestly doesn't matter how much you enjoy it as long as you learn something because you'll hate it by the end anyway, but it's better than picking someone you hate and switching around every week.

If you're total shit, Keys to Drawing builds basic skills you need anyway and gives results that are encouraging. Just don't post them here pls, look at your reference and learn to spot the difference.

After that, it's all pen technique and shapes in perspective. I like videos, but they work best in conjunction with books by the same person. Just stick to one until you finish that shit and suck it dry of all its value. Then move on and do the same. Then go back.
>>
>>2772323
keys to drawing and draw a box at the same time. don't touch loomis for a while
>>
My pen tablet that I bought for $20 3 years ago just died.
Is it worth the money to get one with a screen or should I stick with the cheap screenless usb style? Does having the screen on the tablet itself really help that much?
>>
Any material to understand how color changes saturation in a picture? (what conditions besides atmospheric perspective define the ammount of saturation a color has)?
>>
File: 4447087cf4f119f82d39f0328a7b6c98.jpg (703KB, 1600x1099px) Image search: [Google]
4447087cf4f119f82d39f0328a7b6c98.jpg
703KB, 1600x1099px
Are there any similar artists to Kim Jung Gi worth checking out for inspiration? By similar I mean: nice detailed linework, sketchbook feel, everyday scenarios, mostly humans as subjects.
>>
>>2772350
>After that, it's all pen technique and shapes in perspective. I like videos, but they work best in conjunction with books by the same person.
Try how to draw by Scott robertson, he gives you a link to access the AR videos that go along with his book
>>
>>2772456
VALUES. Value is half of color. The other half is hue and chroma. Look at gurneys blog he explains it all there or check in his book.
>>
File: Cor74KuUEAAM5R6.jpg (30KB, 319x267px) Image search: [Google]
Cor74KuUEAAM5R6.jpg
30KB, 319x267px
>>2771646
Sorry for the late reply, I didn't actually see this until now, but thank you so much! I wouldn't have thought of taking ibuprofen, that's actually a really good idea. Also, how long is it going to take for it to heal?
>>
How do I make the jump into digital?
All the beginner excercises (dynamic sketching, vilppu, loomis) are pencil and paper. How do I start making progress with my intuos?
>>
>>2772497
Buy carpal tunnel braces. I played vidya for close to 2 decades, worst of it was doing 12 hours a day. My hands are so fucked up, but these help manage the symptoms. I wish I used them sooner because my hands are permanently fucked up now.
>>
>>2772505
To jump into digital, you have to be good at drawing first. No lie.
>>
>>2772497
Don't take ibuprofen. It only masks the problem. I suffer from carpal tunnel and basically you gotta just be conscious about stretching your wrists every so often. Stretch every morning and night and every 45 mins while drawing.

Also wrist curls with 2lb dumbbells help for strengthening.
>>
my canvas is all wobbly and has some dents..
I know i strechted it a bit too loose but it seems to have become way looser.
Am i fucked?How can i make it tight again?
>>
File: tji3.jpg (89KB, 453x368px) Image search: [Google]
tji3.jpg
89KB, 453x368px
how would you go about constructing objects with complicated form like in pic related? Would you just draw the super basic form and then mold it with finer details?

Also is there a good resource on how to draw and put headgear on people in general?
>>
>>2772753
pull out the staples and just pull it tight again
duh
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (26KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
26KB, 480x360px
Did Jazza botox'd his shit up?

I was watching his Pokémon mashup winners and shit (first place is bullshit desu, second place and some others were better) and there is a part of the video where he "flashbacks" to the original challenge announcement vid. And that's when I realized: "holy shit, did this nigga put on make-up for this video? is it a new lighting set-up perhaps?". Admitedly I had too much free time tonight so I went ahead and, by looking at his main channel's recent videos and his vlogging channel, I realized that somewhere around late october or the first days of november, his forehead wrinkles mostly dissapeared. I checked, it's not the lighting, not his facial expressions, his old man wrinkles are gone. I mean I always noticed them, never made a big deal about it, but apparently he did? what do you guys think?

The video for reference: https://youtu.be/DCSCTLnkiV4?t=884
If link doesn't do it for you, the time of the jump-cut is at 14:50

Disclaimer: I fully realize how stupid of a speculation this is, and how much valuable time I've wasted this night. I am guilty of obsessing over the forehead wrinkles of an internet person from the other side of the globe, for this one time, before I completely switching my attention to something else like actually drawing.
>>
File: 7.png (402KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
7.png
402KB, 1920x1080px
>>2772778
yep, he did. Now go back to practice.
>>
>>2772565
That's the worst advice
>>
>>2772789
Except it's not

Been struggling with carpal tunnel for almost 2 years now.
Stretching and strengthening is the best way to relieve long term pain and help stabilize your wrists.

Besides you should never be drawing if the pain is bad enough to make you go for ibuprofen or pain killers.

My carpal tunnel was due to Scar Tissue, repetitive motion, and just bad nerves. Did physical therapy, went to chiropractor, got scar tissue dealt with, and now i can do longer more intense sessions than I ever could have done. As long as you do stretches everyday. Vitamins B12 and B6 help too. Magnesium as well.
>>
I've been drawing for the past year, and haven't messed with painting at all. One of the reasons, which is kind of bullshit, is that I use Clip Studio Paint Pro and all the tutorials I've seen are for Photoshop.

How annoying will it be to fill the gaps between Photoshop and CSP? Should I just get Photoshop?
>>
File: 1475441758088.png (325KB, 941x1021px) Image search: [Google]
1475441758088.png
325KB, 941x1021px
>>2772506
I'm using ace bandages right now, is that good enough?
>>2772565
>>2772797
To be fair the other anon said ibuprofen helps the swelling go down.
The stretches make my wrist hurt and I don't know if that's good or bad.
>>
>>2773230
They should hurt, it should be a mild pain, and after days of stretching it should start to recede
>>
my faces tend to be pretty lopsided when i draw them

what are some good exercises to draw more symmetrically?
>>
>>2772797
I'm not sure if what I have is carpal tunnel. I started dropping shit because my hand just goes out at random when I'm holding things with my index finger or thumb like a cup. I get pain in all my fingers, my wrist, my elbow, and my shoulder but I only really get the numbness in my pinky, lower hand and the finger by it which seems to be something called cubital tunnel syndrome, which is probably just as bad as carpal tunnel just for the other side of the hand. I think I might have a little of both to be honest. It sucks and seems to be getting worse by the day lately.
>>
>>2772797
>18
>Same pains as described in the carpal tunnel description

Give it to me straight doc, is the rest of my life ruined?
>>
>>2773236
You have alzheimer
>>
>>2773239
No I don't.
>>
>>2773239
No I do not.
>>
>>2773265
>>2773268
Brilliant
>>
File: Nerves.jpg (90KB, 647x479px) Image search: [Google]
Nerves.jpg
90KB, 647x479px
>>2773236
See a doc and get it diagnosed.

If you're having pain in your shoulder, you could have pinched the nerve up there and it's radiating downwards into the rest of your hand. I've also been told that carpal tunnel can cause pain that travels upwards the arm. But in the only instance I've had with that, paint went up into my elbow. Sometimes you can also have pain in your bicep, too. Chiropractic works, and physical therapy works. Wearing cock-up splints at night while sleeping really works magic for wrists (6-8hrs of healing every night). Like I said, vitamins help too.

Take some time to rest your hands/arms and don't expend your energy as much. You'll feel like shit not getting anything done, but after a month or two of conscious exercise and stretching you'll feel loaaads better.
>>
What are other schools around the world similar to FZD?
>>
how do i start painting? what are the fundamentals in need to practice?
>>
>>2770625
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RmHOvmPJjE
>>
im looking into doing coloring with pastels. should i go for hard or soft ones? the hard ones i plan on getting would be stabilo carbothello pastel pencils. the soft ones would be caran dache neocolor II. what are the differences between those? (hard and soft)
>>
>>2772428
It depends what kind of work you're doing and at what level.

If you're just a hobbyist I'd get a regular wired tablet but if you're a professional or need to work with a lot of detail then you might need the extra accuracy that a display can help you get.

Feel free to check out my site and see if my tablet reviews are helpful at all:

artsartreviews.com
>>
>>2773481
The Neocolors are nothing like traditional pastels, and they're not soft either. They're a watersoluble wax pastel (more like a crayon desu), kinda similar to an oil pastel but harder and less pigmented.

The difference between soft and hard pastels are just that, softness. The soft pastels have more pigment and less binder, so they tend to be more expensive. Because they're softer they dispense the pigment more easily and allow a more painterly approach; the softer the pastel the more pigmented you can expect it to be, and also harder to control. Very soft pastels tend to fall apart easily.
Typically when combining both you would use your hard pastels for sketching and and your bottom layers, and the soft pastels on top, but you can make a whole painting with just hard pastels, or just soft pastels.
>>
File: OSW LOGO ILL.jpg (72KB, 619x1214px) Image search: [Google]
OSW LOGO ILL.jpg
72KB, 619x1214px
currently working on this guy, and trying to incorporate new digital painting techniques.
I want to make the tongue look slightly moist.
Any tips for that?
>>
>>2773499
thanks! im new to coloring in general, but ive done a few things involving colors with different mediums. pastels is the one i probably have done least so im just trying to explore all the mediums of art. im on a tight budget, and im a beginner in pastels, so would you reccomend the harder pencils ones over the neocolors?
>>
>>2773509
>>2773499
(forgot to add, i can only get one of the two for now)
>>
>>2773509
Carbothellos are nice pencils, they're worth getting.

I wouldn't recommend the Neocolors at all unless you specifically want a watersoluble crayon. They're absolutely nothing like chalk pastels.
>>
>>2773520
thanks so much! last few questions, sorry! can you blend colors well with the pastel pencils? and i know that soft pastels are more vibrant, but with the hard ones are the colors still pretty vibrant?
>>
>>2773525
>>2773520
heres an example, would hard pastels be able to reach vibrant colors like these? i know this is digital, but still
>>
>>2773528
I demand a source
>>
>>2773525
>>2773528
Most traditional mediums won't achieve the same level of vibrancy as digital. I would recommend looking online for images made with them so you know what to expect. But to answer your question, you won't get the same painterly look you get with a soft pastel, but they do blend, and the advantage is you can be more detailed. I don't have a full set of Carbothellos, but in my experience with harder pastel pencils (Faber-Castell Pitt), they are as vibrant as you would need for realistic work.
Keep in mind an appropriate surface is equally as important. You want something that's resistant and has some tooth to it. You won't have a good time trying to use pastels on cheap printer paper.
>>
>>2773560
ah, in that case im actually going to find myself some soft pastels. im definitely going for the more vibrant, surreal painterly feel. thanks for all the help!

>>2773545
i believe its barukurii on deviantart. i love their stuff :)
>>
>>2773545
http://barukurii.deviantart.com/art/Spring-Fairy-colour-sketch-363548868
>>
>>2773572
Rembrandt soft pastels are a good compromise between hard soft, and the price isn't too out there. Otherwise you're going to be paying quite a lot for a set of true soft pastels like Schmincke. You can always buy a set of harder or cheaper pastels and complement them with individual colors of the softer ones. For a good color range in pastels you'll need a whole bunch of them.
>>
File: somerandomchinkartistonda.jpg (156KB, 894x894px) Image search: [Google]
somerandomchinkartistonda.jpg
156KB, 894x894px
How does on avoid over-rending to the point you fuck up your values. Pic related, not mine though.
>>
>>2773504
>inb4 loomis and cgcookie
You might need to consider studying human skulls before looking into rendering.
>>
>>2773504
loomis and cgcookie
>>
>>2770617
Should I upload everything I do at artstation or keep it as a portfolio?
>>
>>2773803
Over-rendering isn't the problem. Thumbnail properly and stick to it.
>>
What would be good books for a beginniner who is interested in comics? Trying to get a good Christmas gift for my sister. She dabbled in art before, but she's not strong as she symbol draws.

I'm thinking of getting:
-Keys to Drawing
-Figure Drawing For All It's worth by Andrew Loomis
-Drawing the face and head by Andrew Loomis

Are there any more books that I should get like the David Chelsea books?
>>
>>2773803

As >>2773846 said, it only occurs when you don't properly plan for it.
>>
File: 81mYXn-hDbL._SL1500_[1].jpg (161KB, 1500x896px) Image search: [Google]
81mYXn-hDbL._SL1500_[1].jpg
161KB, 1500x896px
Will any store bought USB mini-B cables work with Wacom tablets?
>>
>>2773843
Keep artstation as a portfolio. It's supposed to be professional so treat it that way.

Use a tumblr, DA or your own website or whatever for sketches, non-portfolio pieces, WIPs and fanart.
>>
>>2773987
Yes but the end that plugs in to the tablet needs to be longer than your normal mini-usb cable, you might have to shave down some of the plastic casing to make it fit otherwise and that's really not a good idea. You can find replacement cords on amazon, or you could potentially use a cord from something like a PS3 controller.
>>
>>2770617
All faggot self proclaimed PROFESSIONAL ARTISTS and CRITIQUES go here>>2773980
>>
File: il_fullxfull.243551191.jpg (152KB, 900x372px) Image search: [Google]
il_fullxfull.243551191.jpg
152KB, 900x372px
>>2773528
Gouache is what you want for vibrant colors, but it is very hard to work with. Pic related is gouache (just something i found in a similar style to what you want), but if you'd like to see what experienced gouache painters do check out alphonse mucha or watch pinnochio.
>>
>>2774052
I'm a self proclaimed critique.
>>
>>2773858
>Understanding Comics, by Scott McCloud
>Making Comics, by Scott McCloud
The McCloud books are a good read for beginners and these books are comics themselves so she probably won't get bored.
>Comics & Sequential Art by Will Eisner
>Theory of Comics & Sequential Art by Will Eisner
>Framed Ink, by Marcos Mateu
>Directing the Story: Professional Storytelling and Storyboarding Techniques for Live Action and Animation, by Francis Glebas
>Creative Illustration by Loomis
>How To Draw Comics The Marvel Way by Stan Lee
>How to Draw by Scott Robertson (teaches perspective and basic drawing techniques which is important to comic book art)
>Atlas of Human Anatomy for the Artist by Stephen Rogers Peck (One of my favorite anatomy books)
>George Bridgman's Constructive Anatomy

That's just a few off the top of my head
>>
Anyone know the name of the guy that did the painting of an all white girl getting sucked into a blackhole surrounded by yellow with japanese stylizations? I believe the guy also had youtube videos which featured music probably by him as well. One of the youtube videos was schoolgirls but they were all aliens. I believe its two people actually both of them with a similar style.
>>
I'm trying to do the drawabox tutorial and I'm having some big issues. I've heard there are two very distinctive types of learners, those who are more feeling or visual, and those more analytical who learn better from text and diagrams. I am definitely not the second type, and drawabox is very analytical information, text and diagram dense learning style. I'm having a hard time grasping anything from it. Has anyone else experienced this, and do you suggest another method that might be better for someone like me?
>>
>>2774192
Excuses excuses and more excuses. Just fucking do the exercises over a year. You probably gave up after a week. They are laid so straight that if you really wanted this, you would do it if not, just quit art forever.
>>
File: rotatedboxes_10.jpg (265KB, 1280x933px) Image search: [Google]
rotatedboxes_10.jpg
265KB, 1280x933px
>>2774194
well mainly I don't want to see this kinda shit on the first tutorial

how is this going to help me later? who fucking knows
>>
>>2774198
>how is this going to help me later?
This is easily one of the most important steps to any drawing. (The other two being motoric skills, which are also part of chapter one and proportion.)
Rotating boxes and cylinders helps to visualize form in space and how to create the illusion of three dimensional objects on a two dimensional surface.

That said, I think drawabox's approach to drawing is draining, demotivating and essentially flawed. In my opinion, while it does contain valid exercises, it's nothing to grind through or soley base your practice off. Do something fun, like still lifes, and apply a constructional approach to your studies.

I would still recommend occasional line and form exercises as a warmup or as something to do while you're midly entertained by a podcast, tv or whatever.

>>2774194
>Just fucking do the exercises over a year.
Did you do the exercises for a year? Would explain your mild autism.
>>
File: 41h24HbzvnL._SY355_.jpg (14KB, 355x355px) Image search: [Google]
41h24HbzvnL._SY355_.jpg
14KB, 355x355px
What is a recommend binder for beginners? I want to make ground specifically for metalpoint drawing. There are a lot of binders out there (plant gum, animal glue, casein, oil, tempera, etc) and its overwhelming since I work digitally and have no experience handling wet media that isn't just plain acrylic.
>>
>>2774125
Gouache dries to a matte, moderately dull finish. It's not what most people would classify as vibrant.
>>
File: traece2.jpg (227KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
traece2.jpg
227KB, 1680x1050px
tracing helps you get used to ur tablet right
>>
I am currently focusing on learning perspective, should I still attend figure drawing, even if I`m not studying figure drawing books or anatomy yet?
>>
File: 305.jpg (1MB, 2213x1632px) Image search: [Google]
305.jpg
1MB, 2213x1632px
why is yoh yoshinari such a god
real question though, how does one get good at drawing clouds of smoke and cool wooshy effects? whenever I try to it comes out looking like a bunch of scribbles
>>
I'm getting close to finishing gurney's book on color and light, but there's a section of the subject it didn't go into deeper detail. I understand the basics of hue, and value changes now, but saturation remained a mystery for me. Any good readings on the subject?
>>
>>2773497
Hey thanks man. Checking out your site now.
>>
why does unfinished/messy/unpolished artwork look better than polished artwork?
>>
>>2776555
your brain sees what it wants to see in the scribbles versus just seeing wonky lineart
>>
>>2776555
A painting that perfectly looks like real life might as well be a photo.
>>
Is it easy to get art noticed on Facebook, or do you have to invite a bunch of people to like it first to get it started? I' started an FB page to test it out and posted some stuff, but there hasn't been any likes or views.
>>
>>2770617
Found an artist that uses their private facebook profile as a fan page with 16k followers and maxed out friends list.
Wondering how this doesn't violate facebook's terms cause it's borderline, but it's technically an individual or performer so I'm not sure.
>"It's against the Facebook Terms to use your personal account to represent something other than yourself (ex: your business)"
Anyways.

Would you use your own image instead of an anonymous profile?
>>
>>2776555
First off, that's a blanket statement, I've seen lots of messy work that's shit and polished work that's amazing as well. It all really comes down to experience and skill level.

But to answer your question it's something called painterly abstraction (The well-rendered and in-focus edges contrasted by the lost edges where sometimes your imagination will fill in), and the artist making decisions about values that you don't get from a camera. The reason I mention photos is that most well-rendered work is photo reference; whether the artist shot it themselves or looked them up on google, photographs miss colors, values, and volume that you get by using your eyeballs on a real model.

Though there is something to be said for sketches, they really do have more life to them than something that has been absolutely rendered do death. Just don't turd polish and you'll avoid that shit.
>>
>>2772125
Graphic artist's guild for pricing and ethical guidelines man.
>>
>>2773230
That's bad! If the stretch makes you feel discomfort or pain you should stop them right away. Try just elevating your wrist above your heart/head and relax it.

These stretches should help and should not be painful at all, got it?
http://bottomlineinc.com/easy-exercises-relieve-carpal-tunnel/

No ace bandages are not good enough. You need to entirely immobilize wrist movement. Ace bandages aren't ideal because they give too much room to move and when there is movement or swelling underneath them they tighten themselves. Ace bandages are more for compression for sports injuries than they are for something like carpal tunnel.
>>
>>2774326
All paint dries darker/less vibrant than when it started. And if you know how to compensate for that and mix your paints properly then it can definitely be vibrant as fuck. There's a reason they used gouache for coloring cartoons.
>>
>>2775817
Yes. Nothing to it but to do it. Just being there and drawing people all the time will make you better at drawing people. Study anatomy when you run into something you don't understand, maybe the shoulder did something strange when the model put her weight on it, and it really fucked you up. Work to fix the lack of information you've got when it happens for now.

You need to read up on some loomis or bridgman or someone who teaches a simplified skeleton/anatomy in masses and forms rather than medical anatomy, and study proportion. This way you can use visual measuring to your advantage when you need it.

You'll want to read some books about gesture drawing first, and train your eye to just see graphic shapes when you are doing your proportion-check/layout.
>>
>>2776305
It comes from meticulously studying real clouds of smoke. Draw them as realistic as possible and you'll learn how to sketch them. It's the same with anything, study pictures of the real thing until you get it.
>>
>>2776782
You're going to have to socialize. Go talk to other artists and people you know who might be interested, like and comment on their stuff, post interesting things but stay away from politics and too much personal stuff. If you comment on other people's art they'll be inclined to go comment on yours so they don't look like a dick.
>>
>>2776896
Thank you anon for the answer.
>>
So what's the point of doing this for larger characters? Up to when does it usually look ridiculous? Is it better to just draw a 12 foot character at 7 and a half heads tall?
>>
>>2776311
bump
>>
What's the most unique thing that you've drawn with?
I was using a carrot i had dug some furrows into with some rum 'n coke an hour ago.
>>
When drawing anime do you guys use photo of actual person to reference the hair or instead another anime drawing?
>>
>>2776572
>>2776584
>>2776877
Thanks for all your responses, it really helps!

I'd also like to ask, do rough things look better to normies too? I don't think so, but I can't be sure.
>>
>>2777063
Nigga, you've posted this same question a million times already. Just try drawing your thing, then post it and then (and only then) you might actually get somewhere.
>>
Yo, this probably isn't the right thread, but would it be alright to ask here (in a new thread, possibly) about porn comics with "pretty" art and an emphasis on storytelling or should I go to /co/?
>>
>>2777540
/aco/ is a thing.
>>
>>2777548
Forgot about that, thank you so much.
>>
need help
i dont do much traditional art because im really messy with a pencil and i fuck up a lot when i ink... (picture is one of my more recent attempts i tried inking with a pen) but today i bought some really nice inking markers theyre 0.1 0.3 0.5 and 1-5mm
besides the point i wanna know if anyone has any advice on inking, i watched my favorite mangaka tite kubo ink some things but obviously to try and be like him is impossible but maybe some more realistic help or small things that i could do to improve would help a ton~
>>
>>2772481
Aren't values defined by brightness?
>>
File: 1480575760833.gif (2MB, 180x176px) Image search: [Google]
1480575760833.gif
2MB, 180x176px
What the fuck is "pillowshading" and can someone provide an example???
>>
File: what.jpg (161KB, 708x914px) Image search: [Google]
what.jpg
161KB, 708x914px
What does this represent?
From Bridgman's Constructive Anatomy, pg.17
>>
File: 1479952345258m.jpg (133KB, 1024x665px) Image search: [Google]
1479952345258m.jpg
133KB, 1024x665px
Where's the crafts go? This entire board is just pictures.
>>
>>2779672
Those are the scribbles of a drunk man.
>>
My wacom stylus just broke, what do lads.
>>
I'm quite lost and don't know what to do. So I'm looking for a good course, is the Peter Han's course any good? It's basically drawabox made by an actual pro
>>
Where's the link to the google docs st/ic/ky?
>>
>>2780045
Fix it. If you can't fix it, buy a new one.
>>
I have an assignment of studying an academic artist's still life (in pencil), but I'm having trouble finding something.
Where could I find some quality ones?
>>
>>2781179
what about Velazquez?
>>
>>2779962
They went to /diy/
>>
File: 71_344580220.jpg (63KB, 1200x846px) Image search: [Google]
71_344580220.jpg
63KB, 1200x846px
Whats a reasonable price for a used intous 4 large?

This guy is offering me one for around 185$
How much am i being jewed?
>>
>>2779648
>pillowshading
meme language pixel artists use for people who shade like trash
>>
File: me face.jpg (35KB, 410x308px) Image search: [Google]
me face.jpg
35KB, 410x308px
>>2781279
That's a solid deal, get it fambinosaur. I'm not sure if the Intuos 4 has the same gritty surface as the Intuos 5 and higher, but if it does expect to invest an additional $20-$30 on a "surface cover" to keep you from having to replace a nib every 3 days (you can also probably look up how to make your own-I bet the cost of materials is negligible if you can figure that out).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPKh5ZtHu9I
>>
>>2781279
>How much am i being jewed?
I'd love to let you know (I just sold mine recently), but since you want to be an anti-semitic douchebag, you deserve to get ripped off.

Back to >>>/pol/ with you.
>>
>>2781323
>triggered
Gas yourself kike.

>>2781279
Depends on how used and how long you plan to use it for. These last 6-9 years depending on your treatment, so be wary of who the seller is so he doesn't pawn garbage on you. Other than that it's a great price assuming he also gives you the pen+nibs. If not then it's still pretty good if you can verify he hasn't fucked it up in some way.
>>
File: triggered.png (1MB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
triggered.png
1MB, 1366x768px
Thanks family.

>>2781296

>>2781323
>pic related

>>2781339
The seller is in my area so i'll be meeting him and seeing the tablet before i buy it. It looked nice enough on the photos. Pen and nibs are included, so unless it looks like trash in person i'll buy it.
>>
>>2781339
That's a good point-though I think it goes without saying. Make sure the condition is good. 6-9 years is being a little pessimistic honestly, they generate pretty much no heat and have no moving parts-I think they'll last much longer than that with normal use. My Intuos 3 (released 2004) never showed any signs of breaking when I sold it 2 years ago. As long as the previous owner isn't a greasy piece of trash it should be fine.
>>
>>2781296

>20-30 dollars for a surface cover

I just used a sheet of printer paper
>>
>>2781358
Not something I tried myself but if it reduces the wear on the nibs (which are otherwise savaged by the factory default surface) I'd say that sounds like a pretty good option as long as it covers the great majority of the surface area.
>>
>>2781189
The reference image has to be a pencil drawing, not a painting.
>>
Is color picking from the ref acceptable when doing digital studies?
>>
This question probably gets asked a lot: But I'm garbage at drawing detailed digitally. Is there anything else to fix it besides just practicing over and over with it?
>>
>>2781468
zoom in
>>
>>2781355
The pens wear out, the surface scratches all to shit and the cord breaks from the board. 6 years is honestly optimistic just from regular use and one of those things usually happens in that time. They last much longer than that but those are the major wear points when something does go wrong.
>>
If you aren't allowed to symbol draw, how are you supposed to draw from imagination?
>>
>>2781601
Use construction and anatomy knowledge? Maybe symbol drawing means something else in english because this really doesn't seem confusing to me.
>>
>>2781601
>>2781602

Drawing from imagination is just a more refined symbol drawing.

You aren't allowed to symbol draw when studying life, not when drawing in general.

If you draw from life your visual library will allow you to make better imagined drawings.
>>
Which are the best, or most relevant for painting, free CS6 plugins?
>>
What are some good YouTube channels?

Like not channels like Proko that are focused on learning, but rather people who are drawing/painting/designing and talking you through the process. Not like "how to draw eyes" but rather "how I drew this fight scene" or "designing a weapon" or shit like that. I hope I'm being clear with what I mean.

I'm mainly looking for professional people type of videos with experience with "the industry", but really any channel is good enouh.
>>
>>2781698

The 'weapon design' premium pack of Ctrlpaint is pretty straightforward.

On first video he tells you "We're making guns". And the rest is him showing the process from background research to post-production of a rendered piece.

Don't know any YT channel. Sorry.
>>
>>2781698
https://www.youtube.com/user/digitalbobert
https://www.youtube.com/user/gurneyjourney
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCLEVrhumRsK67JkP3G4w5cQ
https://www.youtube.com/user/revolutions34
https://www.youtube.com/user/DrawWithJazza
https://www.youtube.com/user/Sycra
>>
>>2781698
https://www.youtube.com/user/FZDSCHOOL

Say what you want about Feng but all of Design Cinema goes in-depth on his creative process (as well as technical non-concepty aspects). They're pretty long so it's loaded with good stuff to listen to on the side. Also he is in the industry.
>>
File: plein air.jpg (417KB, 1000x1240px) Image search: [Google]
plein air.jpg
417KB, 1000x1240px
lads, my shoulder hurts after an hour of drawing
what do I do? wrong posture?
>>
I'm looking for a fine point stylus pen for a Yoga Book.

Does anyone have any suggestions for that? It has bluetooth and android OS.
>>
File: 1481767726109.jpg (367KB, 612x816px) Image search: [Google]
1481767726109.jpg
367KB, 612x816px
does anyone know the name of the hairstyle in pic related or at least more references of it?
>>
>>2781870
Bobcut
>>
How long would it take for a guy with a work schedule to self teach himself with this book?
>>
>>2782017
ngmi
>>
>>2782021
Why?
>>
>>2782021
Just tell me why. I just want to be good for fun, I'm not trying to make it to the big leagues if that's what you're thinking
>>
>>2782034
that book is great but won't take you far enough, after you do the whole thing look at the sticky and work down the list.
>>
My teacher makes me copy photographs from fucking sites all day and I feel like I'm actually becoming worse doing this, what the fuck should I do?
>>
So guys do you pay your photoshop copy? Or have you crackers it?
>>
>>2782420
Post her work, draw from life.
>>
>>2782420
>becoming worse
No, you are just seeing that you actually suck.
>>
>>2782423
official release + universal adobe patcher 2
>>
File: folders.jpg (16KB, 158x175px) Image search: [Google]
folders.jpg
16KB, 158x175px
how do you folks organize your reference material? i have images and videos that fit into several categories, and i have no idea where to put them.
>>
is anyone using the sai 2.0 beta? elemaps seem to be gone, is there a way to change brush shape?
I just want a square brush
>>
>>2782455
I knew I sucked before, makes no sense.

>>2782431
I don't have access to models, should I draw trees? The fuck I do?
>>
>>2782589
>sai
>2016
>>
>>2779672

turning the form?
>>
Completely off topic, but can anyone post the reaction pic of a ghosted vilppu looking over the earth?
>>
What's a good method of rotating a cube in perspective while the vanishing points aren't visible?
Whenever I try to do it by eye I find small inconsistencies.
>>
>>2782598
Draw trees, draw deer if you live in the suburbs, sit in your car and draw people going into the mall, sit in a coffee shop and draw people, sit in a bar and amaze drunks with your ability to draw beer in perspective.

In all seriousness, drawing trees will make you better at drawing people and drawing imaginatively. Learn your trees and go out into nature to study them in their natural habitat.
>>
>>2782721
I'm going to fucking do it then, fucking draw trees.
>>
>>2782723
Everything I learned, I learned drawing trees because little boys move too fast.
>>
>>2782725
I don't get it, how does drawing trees help?
>>
>>2782564
If Windows, simply use shortcuts.

That's how I keep my books organized.
>>
>>2782735
Rhythm, gesture, composition, forms, rendering. When you draw from life, nature gives you beautiful things you wouldn't otherwise think of and tests your ability to emulate them on the page.
>>
>>2781614

BUMPing question
>>
>>2782736
won't shortcuts break if you move stuff around? it seems like it would lock you in to a really rigid folder structure.
>>
>>2782742
Damn, you fucking niggers an inspire me in half a second every god damn time, but my teacher just makes me fear for my future.

Sometimes I just want to chat with a great artist and learn just talking shit.
>>
>>2782814
Great artists are often terrible teachers and the only students that benefit learn from observation of how they work and not much else. Learn your trees and they can show you how they do trees. Powerlevels are real and even retards can be over 9000, so you have to be on a level to learn without them being able to teach. Also, master studies.
>>
What is "Making it"?
>>
>>2783510
Most people define it as either reaching the point you originally wanted to reach (in terms of skill/level) or making a living solely off of your art. But define it your own way. It's your journey.
>>
>>2773230
>>2772497
>>2771491
>>2771271
listen to me and take this to heart

do NOT stress over this. i'm serious. do not. it WILL make the pain worse. if you find you cannot draw, focus on something else and trust me, it WILL pass. you're (probably) still very young, you don't have much to worry about.

take it easy, consider it a little holiday from drawing. i went 3-4 months in your state, but i'm all better now.
>>
why would you want to "make it", you'll lose the drive
>>
File: d673f97ed785c63bc5a225e2c48f8076.jpg (878KB, 1500x991px) Image search: [Google]
d673f97ed785c63bc5a225e2c48f8076.jpg
878KB, 1500x991px
>>2770617
what do you guys think, where did moebius get his design inspiration from?
>>
>>2783670
moebius was just a sick cunt, this is no problem for him
>>
>>2783674
ahh mang he's beyond godlike, how could i be like him?

i mean, for example in the bottom right one in pic related it seems to be inspired by art nouveau, but these sick organic shapes he draws all the time... i cant imagine what influenced him
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (1MB, 1740x1197px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
1MB, 1740x1197px
>>2783702
forgot pic
>>
How do I get good if I have tremors in my hands which force me to chicken scratch as a crutch?
>>
>>2783783
it's over for you
>>
>>2770617
I'm a beginner that is getting along okay but color just seems completely impossible to learn. Is there such a thing as symbol coloring? Forms and figures seem straight forward where all you need is practice but color feels different.

Honestly, when I look at better artists, it just feels like I'm missing some big secret of painting and color.
>>
File: eye-symbol-icon-71482.png (6KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
eye-symbol-icon-71482.png
6KB, 512x512px
>>2781601
>>2781602
>>2781613
Symbol drawing is kind of a vague ill-defined term

Best to think of it as 'drawing without knowledge'

Say you want to draw an eye. If you're an absolute beginner, you'd probably just do this shape or something similar, because you've seen it before somewhere and it's an icon that's very easy to remember and communicates the concept right away.

For an artist that's more skilled, they wouldn't resort to this symbol. Instead, they'd draw a sphere, the eyelids surrounding the sphere, the pupil/iris, shade it right, then put in the eyelashes, etc. All this done through studying what an eye is, how it really looks like and what it's made of.

Drawing what you see, not what you THINK you see.
>>
>>2783702
Drugs and the occult.
>>
>>2784001
yea drugs are obviously there
maybe i should do more acid hehe
>>
>>2784016
It's mostly the occult, but I would be remiss in not pointing out that drugs also contributed to the process.
>>
>>2784020
jokes aside, could you point me in a direction to explore the theme?
>>
>>2784138
/x/'s occultism & magic thread has a whole library. There's entirely too much to go into with a single post just from the standpoint of themes and symbolism.
>>
is it a bad idea to do a study in multiple sittings? i always see them done in one sitting
>>
>>2782723
That's all Eyvind Earle did and look where it got him, man. Gesture and trees is the shit
>>
Is life drawing really vital in learning how to draw? I stay indoors basically all day unfortunately, so I can draw objects but not people from life, and my idea is to become a porn artist
So what I just did so far is study photos
>>
>>2783702
>>2783703
reminds me a bit of mayan/latin american art don't it?
>>
Which photoshop blend mode beahves like when you layer watercolor washe?
>>
>>2784672
maybe screen or soft light but i don't think it would work that well
>>
>>2784676
Those make the color lighter, so that makes no sense, it needs to get darker
>>
>>2784672
Multiply will darken everything that's underneath, Darken will only darken what's lighter than the color you're using (tends to create a lot of ugly colors if you don't use it correctly). Neither will really work or feel like a watercolor since Photoshop doesn't simulate wet paint outside the crappy mixer brush, but you can at least mimic the look if you know what you're doing.
>>
File: y24t5b.jpg (4KB, 109x139px) Image search: [Google]
y24t5b.jpg
4KB, 109x139px
in photoshop cs6, how do I make the 2b pencil brush not wear down? If I reset the brush it goes from like i'm using a crayon to like i'm using a toothpick to draw

or do I have to find a custom brush that doesn't simulate a real pencil wearing down?
>>
>>2784777
??? turn off pen pressure and increase brush size
>>
>>2784777
anyone have any realistic looking pencil brushes for CSP? I have some but they always look super dense? with no variation and digital. I have no clue how to get a realistic pencil look.
>>
>>2784686
Multiply.
>>
What can I learn in two weeks?
If drawing everyday is the only way to learn what should I be drawing?
>>
>>2784869
Yes
>>
>>2784933
What should I be drawing is anything acceptable so long as I actually draw?
>>
File: 1459176043320.jpg (353KB, 1280x1216px) Image search: [Google]
1459176043320.jpg
353KB, 1280x1216px
>>2782675
>>
>>2784937
yes
>>
I'm tempted to major in art to get my foot in the door in the art world. No, I don't draw weeb shit, I sculpt. I know the ramifications that come with majoring in art, but if I can make those connections, and get my work into galleries, then I won't mind.
>>
>>2784968
gay
>>
>>2784968
What's the question here?
>>
>>2785002
whether that's ironic pasta or not
>>
drawing realistically is not my final goal
should I even bother to learn it, or is it a necessary skill before jumping to cartoon styles?

I'm a big fan of Genndy Tartakovsky's style, to be specific
>>
>>2785242
Yes it is a necessary skill for cartoon styles. Any style. So go study up stop trying to get out of it and when you master the fundamentals you can fuck around all you want with your style.
>>
>>2782564
This is where tags instead of folders come in handy, bro. If you have adobe bridge use that to organize, it's amazing.
>>
>>2784937
just fucking draw good god
>>
>>2785247
oh shit, i do have bridge. i'll give it a try. thanks for the tip, anon.
>>
>>2770617
all but one of the w/i/ci photoshop brushes links are broken, and it's for shaddy's (mostly) environmental stuff. anyone know a good site for photoshop brushes? looking for good hair, skin, and fabric brushes.
>>
>>2785436

>hair, skin and fabric brushes

kys
>>
File: fb.jpg (64KB, 440x549px) Image search: [Google]
fb.jpg
64KB, 440x549px
how do you get a sharpened pencil like this?
>>
>>2785738
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KabOfnbS4TQ
>>
>>2785738
A score of 32 or higher on the Simon Baron-Cohen Autism Quotient test and a razor
>>
>>2785738
>>2785741
holy shit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDnhwSbrzoQ
>>
>>2785741
This is some grade A autism

>even mails you the pencil shavings

I would never imagine this sort of business model would be possible though. Kudos to him
>>
Stupid question that I didn't find an answer for in the sticky:

What type of pencil and paper should I buy?
I took some drawing lessons as a kid and I remember I used some thick yellow-ish papers, don't know the name.
>>
>>2785901
use staedtler mars pencils. paper doesn't matter much unless you wanna be more specific on what you wanna go for?
>>
>>2770617
>That is tracing, anon-san
Okay, so is tracing actually putting your paper over something and tracing it, like in kindergarten.
Or is it looking at something and drawing it exactly as you see it?
Or is it both.
I'm having a hard time understanding when people use this word because most have their own definition for it.
>>
>>2785901
>Thick yellowish paper.

Canson maybe? Bristol?
>>
>>2786373
>Okay, so is tracing actually putting your paper over something and tracing it, like in kindergarten.
yeah. nowadays you can overlay shit on photoshop and draw it exactly over it on a new layer

>Or is it looking at something and drawing it exactly as you see it?
that's called observational drawing or using a reference. most people aren't machines so if you're good it's going to be close but usually not exactly 1:1 (if you have a good eye you can tell) which is fine. if you are bad the artist will capture the angles and placements wrong and it will look like shit.
>>
File: eh.gif (1MB, 460x243px) Image search: [Google]
eh.gif
1MB, 460x243px
Best way to tackle foreshortening?
>>
>>2786422
Draw a box.
>>
>>2784797
Set density to pressure and size to tilt. If you don't have tilt, density to pressure and change size because a pencil is pretty much 3 different tools when it comes down to it.
>>
File: IMG_20161221_150240641.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161221_150240641.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>2785738
With a knife.
>>
>>2784649
bump
>>
File: 62.png (21KB, 988x234px) Image search: [Google]
62.png
21KB, 988x234px
>>2785769
seems like i'm gonna make it 8^)
>>
>>2785769
>>2786580
fuuuuug
>>
>>2785738
What's the point of using a pencil this length? I feel like I'm doing something wrong nowadays using a typical sharpener.
>>
I don't understand it anything
>>
>>2786422
Do you draw hands? Foreshortening is all over the fingers unless it's a bland diagram.
Git gud at drawing hands and it should work out for you.
>>
File: 23555345.png (261KB, 427x284px) Image search: [Google]
23555345.png
261KB, 427x284px
What muscle causes this 2nd bump by the crotch area? I see stick out in hentai and porn all the time and i dont know what it is. I thought it was the gracilis or the adductors.
>>
File: a-charlie-brown-christmas.png (407KB, 570x434px) Image search: [Google]
a-charlie-brown-christmas.png
407KB, 570x434px
What kind of media are the backgrounds in the Peanuts cartoons? Oil? Watercolor?
I feel retarded not knowing
>>
how do i transition from being a consumer (studying, practicing, reading pdfs, watching videos, etc.)

to becoming a producer (actually making art all the time)
>>
>>2786916
Well, for one, fix your understanding of consumer and producer, because it doesn't work like that. A producer is someone who creates something and sells it no matter the skill level and a consumer is just someone who buys.
tl;dr git gud because there is a skill gap
>>
>>2786823
1) Hip bone
2) Adductor longus
>>
Does anyone know any artists that do inking and crosshatching? I want to copy off their technique since I'm too shit at learning it by myself.
>>
What should i forces in a time span of 2 weeks ?
>>
>>2787043
whatever you're worst at
>>
new to digital drawing/using a tablet (only traditional before)

what brushes does everyone use for it or does everyone just customize their own? I've been using the default 2B pencil preset on photoshop but it's kind of like drawing with a crayon and the pressure options are either too dark or too light.
>>
>>2787188
http://www.ctrlpaint.com/digital-painting-101/brusheraser

watch the free video library in order if you're starting from zero. you can honestly get by on default brushes if you know how to customize them, which you learn by clicking around and experimenting.
>>
Where can I find brush presets for photoshop cs 15?
>>
>>2786992
Alphonso Dunn. Frank Frazetta. Frank Cho.
>>
>>2773803
step back and take a look at it in grey scale and see if the values are still good
>>
>>2774337
you can gain confidence by using a program with a stabilizer like sai or clip studio paint. Tracing is a bad habit references. As alternative try relining one of your old scanned traditional drawings.
>>
>>2777257
referencing another another drawing may help with achieving a certain style you like but you really need to put emphasis on understanding how the form of the hair works. referencing photos may help with that. Eventually as you learn how the form works, you'll find that won't need references as often anymore.
>>
>>2779382
>im really messy with a pencil
learn how to control your lines http://drawabox.com/lesson/1
try doing the line lesson. also sometimes its nice to warm up and loosen up before drawing by drawing lots of circles, s shapes , and straight lines
>>
File: tumblr_o2v2zeJq341u9yubjo1_1280.jpg (115KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o2v2zeJq341u9yubjo1_1280.jpg
115KB, 768x1024px
Ill be doing my first figure drawing class in January. Any advice?
>>
Is there an ink I could put into these refillable markers that would give me clean black lines without bleed? they're made for flowing acrylic paint. I was thinking talens drawing ink or another shellac based ink but will the shellac fuck the nib up?
>>
File: empty-refill-markers.jpg (110KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
empty-refill-markers.jpg
110KB, 1500x1500px
>>2790226
woops, forgot pic related.
Thread posts: 311
Thread images: 64

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.