[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do i draw scifi and imagine shit like this

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: sci-fi.jpg (583KB, 1920x915px) Image search: [Google]
sci-fi.jpg
583KB, 1920x915px
Seriously look at this stuff! How do people come up with sci fi. Anybody god tips? Or do i just lack an imagination???
>>
>>2770316
Study actual existing machinery--robotics, engines, planes, tanks, vacuum cleaners, etc.

A lot of it is designing cool shapes then hinting at some function and surface details like panelling, grates, screws, joints, different materials, serial codes etc.

Sparth actually has several tutorials both in videos and in his book where he talks about this. He'll do things like create a file of random small mechanical shapes and details that he will copy from and skew into perspective to put over his designs and add details and believability this way. He has other techniques too like using the smudge brush at 100% to stretch and push an abstract shape into a variety of other shapes.
>>
>>2770316

You need to build your visual library. Do this by consuming plenty of media - and ACTIVELY think about it, don't just passively look at stuff.
>>
>>2770328
Or photobash
>>
>>2770316
something i've always done is start with an idea than keep building off of it.

for example if you want to draw a scene where there's a space ship landing in the hangar, you get that detail down and start there. once you have the focal point of the picture down you can work with what's around it. What did the space ship have to fly through to get to the hanger? are there lifts or other machinery that help with the pilots getting out of the ship? what would the people in your space bay be wearing when a ship comes in? What would they do to prepare the arrival? then once you have enough "junk" going on you can add other scenery, struts to the hanger, other machines that have nothing to do with the space ships landing, structure and atmosphere. Once that's down you can go into gritty details. you know that personnel will need to know where is safe and where isn't, thus pained caution lines and other markers and signs around the hanger. Paneling, and texturing comes next, then light sources, shading and (in this example you gave) lens glare and other effects like smoke, debris flying etc. Having a decent knowledge of mechanical bodies would really help with the structure of large objects and just watching looking up a lot of images like this to get a good idea would also help a lot.
>>
>>2770331
*and photobash
>>
File: SpaceMarine_WIP.jpg (118KB, 680x640px) Image search: [Google]
SpaceMarine_WIP.jpg
118KB, 680x640px
>>2770316
Do some neat video game inspired art work.
>>
Practice making thumbnails with giant shapes and then choose an interesting one and make it sci-fi.
>>
>>2770316

You sound like a norman or just underage desu. I'd assume the average anon here had plenty of contact with sci-fi to find images like that almost banal, the technical skill is the real monster.

...Unless you have aphantasia.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.