[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

You Yoshinari challenge.

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 17

File: 2.jpg (1MB, 2181x1593px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
1MB, 2181x1593px
GOAL: Draw 5 Pages per day till you finish his book. You can draw more or less per day if you want to fit around your routine and drawing pace.

But the aim of the game is to build consistency, some fundamentals etc... But this could be fun for /ic/.

"The Art of Yoh Yoshinari: Rough Sketches Book" "I reckon this challenge would be a great uses of his book that has been graciously scanned"

>https://mega.nz/#!awdB0RaA!qSchqOeZbQx4odhMSiz3gaNXugkp1jXdjriI-XZruLc
>https://mega.nz/#!OwcjiCLD!ehsnEFDi_Q5jqWJRQ2S-4ei2n4rMcpxgXnT3WkdRiR8
>>
I'm down for this. I want to absorb some of his style
>>
File: IMG_20161209_031554.jpg (2MB, 4160x2336px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161209_031554.jpg
2MB, 4160x2336px
>>2769629
Well feel free to join any time. No pressure have fun and keep at it.
>>
>>2769622
make a challenge on LAS my friendio friend
>>
>>2769660
Why would he? Why are you LAS faggots so obsessed with making every activity be part of LAS instead of having their own threads and being their own thing?
>>
>>2769622
>Directly copying from another artist instead of making life observations
>learning the mistakes and bad habits from a no name Artist instead of studying from masters of old
>Not drawing from life

Not. Gonna. Make it.
>>
File: 20161208-172120_p0.jpg (575KB, 1787x2465px) Image search: [Google]
20161208-172120_p0.jpg
575KB, 1787x2465px
>>2769629
1 down 287 to go
>>
>>2769692
>He thinks copying/learning from other artists is bad
definitely not gonna make it
>>
>>2769689
Because there's nothing wrong with it, involves more people, go away Scrooge.
>>
>>2769697
>He thinks copying isn't bad
>hurrrr you say draw from life you're copying from life!

There's a difference between observational life drawing and directly copying from someone else, the excuse is you're interested in "style" but "style" alone falls under a fallacy; to truly understand you must apply real world observations onto your drawings and follow the laws that govern perspective, form, light and shadow.

Stop drawing anime, stop copying from your favorite Naruto artist and start drawing from life.
>>
>>2769705
>implying I think studying from life is bad
a healthy mix of both is ideal, now gtfo
>>
>>2769709
Stop drawing from anime.
>>
>>2769705
>Stop drawing anime, stop copying from your favorite Naruto artist and start drawing from life.

This isn't an "either or" situation you dumb shit. People can do both, study from life and study their favorite artists. Why is it that every time someone posts a particular exercise, there's always this one faggot pretending everyone who chooses to do said exercise will now for the rest of their life ONLY ever do this one exercise?
>>
File: 1466598841713.jpg (171KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
1466598841713.jpg
171KB, 1200x800px
>>2769711
>pic related, my work.
>>
>>2769726
Some people always gotta be downers, always at least one "Not Gonna Make It" response per thread.
>>
>>2769730
Read the sticky.
>>
>>2769692
>Directly copying from another artist instead of making life observations
Still requires observation.

>learning the mistakes and bad habits from a no name Artist instead of studying from masters of old
It's you yoshinari he's a master in my eyes. And. Post. Your. Work.

>Not drawing from life
I do

>Not. Gonna. Make it.
I don't care. I'm still going to do it. Gotta do that work.
>>
>>2769694
nice.
>>
>>2769622
Hey Challenge anon I appreciate what you're doing for this board. Getting people to draw and making threads that are actually meaningful. My only thing is, do you have to make a new one like every day? I kind of would like time to get through one or two of them before there's a new one. Could you possibly pace it out to one every other day or every three days or something? Especially because some of these overlap each other. Like anyone who's started on the 30 days of heads would probably still be working on that and now they'd have to do 5 days of full pages on top of that. In the interest of more people being able to participate and possibly helping you not burn through a ton of ideas too quickly when the board isn't even getting the full benefit of them I hope you'll give some consideration to this. Anyway, thanks again for what you're doing.
>>
>>2769730
You're still posting that drawing?
Or has it become a meme now?
>>
>>2769753
Hmmm true true. Maybe I'll let the this thread sage or naturally time out. But yeah totally get you.

And well the only reason for this whole thing, is that kind anon from the artbook thread last week which dropped the scans for the yoshinari artbook. And I thought it would be kind of a waste if people just downloaded it and just left it on their hard drives without doing something with it.

I'll come back in like in week or two. Since people you who do want to do this will probably be 1/3rd through. But people can go their own pace with this.

The five pages is just what I personally can do in around about hour or so.
>>
>>2769692
>he thinks that learning art is all about drawing from life
>he thinks that you can learn appealing stylization without studying cartoonists
>he thinks that Yoshinari Yoh is a no-name
>he thinks that studying 5 pages worth of rough sketches is so much work that one can't also draw from life while doing so

You fell for the /ic/ meme, ngmi.
>>
>>2769730
the new merc_wip, y'all
>>
>>2769622
your heart is in the right place but this isn't a very efficient way to go about it imo. blindly copying a better artist won't teach you a hell of a lot, you need to understand why they make the choices they make; without that you're essentially symbol drawing.

with yoh in particular, there's a lot of information that he's representing with 2 or 3 marks. if you don't understand what that information is, you're not gonna learn much desu

you need to study actual people
optimally you'd do this from life, but there are other resources to work with until you're able/comfortable enough to do so

>https://www.youtube.com/user/endlessreference/videos

>http://www.scott-eaton.com/category/bodies-in-motion

>http://anatomy360.tumblr.com/

>muybridge's human figure in motion, there's a pdf in the artbook thread

>walt stanchfield

your goal is to understand the underlying structures at work and how they interact to produce motion.
find an artist you look up to, pretty much anyone will work, provided they themselves know what they're doing

>https://sakugabooru.com/

>http://flipbook.in/id/1205933880

animation by yoh

>http://unkoer.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-23.html

more animations by yoh, kou and others

>what do they choose to emphasize/de-emphasize?

>how do they simplify complex structures and actions?

>how do they handle the timing & spacing?

'do x number of pages' is a flawed mentality too

5 pages are far less valuable than applying the same amount of energy to one page that you struggle through and learn something from.
>>
>>2769778
I'm retarded, can someone explain?

I'm guessing:
Don't study too many different styles
Thorns are cunts
>>
>>2769800
Dude it's just an exercise he's not trying to imply this is all you need to do to get better, you've taken it like >>2769692 did. Thanks for the useful links though.
>>
>>2769767
>I thought it would be kind of a waste if people just downloaded it and just left it on their hard drives without doing something with it.
I like your mentality. I think that's why you're so good at coming up with these challenges. I think it'd be an even greater waste to see some of them slip through the cracks and not get people doing them so I'm glad to hear you're considering switching up the pace a bit. Although it makes more sense now that you say you figured it'd be about an hour to do all 5 pages. Still, I know I've been somewhat intimidated to jump into one of these once I saw how many there were and was feeling like I couldn't keep up and I wonder if there might be other people feeling the same way. So thanks for hearing me out.
>>
>>2769820
Also, I see a lot of people pooh-poohing on this particular challenge and I just want to say I support it. There's this strange mentality of 'if it doesn't solve everything it's not worth trying'. There's no one perfect exercise that teaches all, drawing takes time to learn. I see nothing wrong with taking another artist's work and sketching it once in a while. It can be good just for the warm up if nothing else. It doesn't have to be Final Exams every time you touch pencil to paper you can afford to goof around a little, drawing should be fun after all. In fact I think a lot of people here especially could benefit from loosening up and forgetting about book studies for a day. That's my two cents, good luck with everything OP.
>>
I love gainax
>>
>>2769814
The quote is from Cennino Cennini's book Il Libro dell' Arte.

What he is saying is that studying one (or two, tops) master(s) is better than studying various different masters, because this way you'll mimic his approach and aesthetic which are undoubtedly superior to yours.

Yes this means that starting off your work will be similar to his, but sooner or later your mind, combining all the knowledge you have accumulated, will pull through and create it's own aesthetic, distinct and different from the master that you studied.

In context of Yoshinari Yoh, a great example is Takafumi Hori, who is basically Yoh Junior, due to learning and working under him for so long. His animation and style are quite similar to Yoh's, but that hasn't stopped him advancing in the field by leaps and bounds, even to international waters with Steven Universe work.
>>
>>2769692
Post your life drawings.
>>
>>2769692
post your merc_wip nigger
>>
>>2769796
holy fuck im actually so down for this
>>
>>2769692
and yet you wonder why you still can't draw.

this isn't university, and endless grinding on videos and loomis will never beat experience with putting a pen on paper. every line is an improvement. heaven forbid someone has fun for once with peer feedback.
>>
File: jSm8xFy.png (271KB, 700x580px) Image search: [Google]
jSm8xFy.png
271KB, 700x580px
>>2769705
>stop copying from your favorite Naruto artist and start drawing from life

first thing that came to mind when i saw this thread. thanks for the art book though OP
>>
It's about testing observation skills. Whether it's an anime, a fine art or a fruitbasket does not matter.
>>
Why would you spend 62 days doing this? I doubt anyone will actually finish, but it would make so much more sense to do a concentrated study of his style than copying an entire book.
>>
>>2769622
A retarded waste of time. This is something I would have done back in grade school like an idiot.
>>
File: Screenshot_20161208-220802.png (126KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161208-220802.png
126KB, 1440x2560px
>>2769622
as far as i got, this is hard
>>
>>2770558
why'd you delete the post
>>
File: prac-20130207-kim.jpg (197KB, 550x776px) Image search: [Google]
prac-20130207-kim.jpg
197KB, 550x776px
>>2770115
Your grade school self seems to have had more potential to get good at art than you have now. Your fear of copying better artists and trying to learn from them is exactly why you still suck. This is also one of the reason why so many chinese and asian artists are absolute killer and improve very quickly. They steal and copy without any shame whatsoever and as a result, they absorb the design language and part of the visual library of their superiors.

Just look at artists like Krenz, he's done a shitton of copies of Kim Jung Gi, Mucha, Marko Djurdjevic, various anime screenshots etc when he was still learning. Side by side with proper anatomy studies of course, because for some reason retards like you always assume artists can only study the first exercise they pick for the rest of their life without ever doing anything besides that.
>>
File: Fotografie-0020.jpg (594KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
Fotografie-0020.jpg
594KB, 1000x750px
>>2769622
so you saying we have to do 5 pages per day?

yoshi, this is my first page for today, let's see how much I can do
>>
>>2770564
Please don't project. I do anime study everyday. I'm just saying your challenge is a retarded waste of time. Yoh has a firm grasp on every faucet of the human figure after 3 decades ofdrawing and animating, 10 times longer than I have been alive, and I don't yet. My time would be better spent elsewhere is all I am saying. Blindly copying won't teach you anything but muscle memory and birthday party tricks. Understanding the mechanics first helps.
>>
>>2770683
Please don't project. You might be too dumb to study artists without resorting to blindly copying them, but not everyone shuts off their brain and goes on auto pilot when doing studies. Also, I'm not OP, so this isn't my challenge.
>>
>>2769705
post your work faggot.
>>
>>2770712
Are you actually stupid enough to believe that you can understand decades of worth by just copying his sketches? the man is a god at the fundamentals.

Therefore study the fundamentals before you study him.
>>
>>2770719
not to mention Yoh is an animator and his sketchbook characters are very simplified by inclination.

and to everyone thinking this will help you, copying his characters won't be a huge help, but what might help is actually studying real forms and gestures and then when you have those down simplify them and stylize them yourself.
>>
File: Cringe warm up.png (3MB, 2480x3508px) Image search: [Google]
Cringe warm up.png
3MB, 2480x3508px
>>2769622
combined yoshinari file

https://mega.nz/#F!WA8WGBBC!0sHYTO_VqiQ0oA56vse7RA

studying with photo is most certain practice
but draw it for warm up
- chinkpad T420
>>
>>2770564
>look at this picture there's so much stuff in it even though it's basic perspective
/ic/ in a nutshell
>>
>>2770773
confirmed for can't draw
>>
>>2770773
t. Shit at perspective.
>>
>all this shitposting in circles
Either do OP's challenge of fuck off. What's the use in bumping the thread with shitty arguing?
>>
>>2770884
>bumps thread with more shitposting and bitching and complaining.
>>
>>2770719
no shit you gotta study fundamentals you retard, that doesn't mean that copying a god tier artist and analyzing his work is a bad idea. sure you might understand 5% of his thought process, but that's better than 0, and if you do it again after a few months you can get that up to 8% , then 10 and slowly climb as you keep studying.
>>
So, studying with photo and real life is only way to study art? Really.
>>
>>2770712
You don't even truly know what a study is you yardstick flosser. A hint for you and foilcap OP: It's not copying pages with the intent of who can closely match the artist to show off to 80 or so anons on a niche board on an even niche website. A study is breaking down an image, writing notes, trial and error, and application. The fag challenge OP needs to fuck off this board with their OPM fantasies.
>>
>>2770918
D:
>>
>>2769622
>tfw been studying him for like 5 years, even have his original deadwood book, along with other animators/anime
>not much improvement

Probably did it wrong. At a certain point you can't just copy other people's shit and need to actually figure it out yourself.
>>
>>2770933
if that's the only form of practice you did, then yeah you fucked up.
>>
>>2769622
>>2770474
day 2
>>
File: Screenshot_20161209-192135.png (1MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161209-192135.png
1MB, 1440x2560px
>>2771544
forgot file
>>
File: IMG_3108.jpg (152KB, 688x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3108.jpg
152KB, 688x1000px
>>2769711
No

In b4 "post ur art" "draw from life" ect.
>>2769800
I think there's plenty to be learned from master studies. How an artist does something can be learned by mimicry and then applied to your own drawing.
>>
>>2771546
wow you must have learned a lot
>>
>>2773492
maybe? idk, Im using stuff im learning from Vilppu and applying it when copying Yoshi's stuff. unsure if sarcasm or...
>>
>>2773618
He was being sarcastic, as you didn't seem to have taken any new information out of Yoh's sketches. It's good to reconstruct the process and apply landmarks and such, but you didn't even try to understand what he did aor why. Yoir anime faces are completely flat and don't look anything like his. You would've been better off by just measuring the 2-D proportions and copying the lines.

I would recommend you to think about what you want to actually learn by... "studying" these sketches. Of course, it is absolutely okay to just mindlessly draw for fun, if that's what you want.
>>
>>2773635
thank you for the reply anon. i dont think i'll pick up any new info and patterns for awhile, maybe for another 70-100 pages, due to my low skill level. To be honest idk what im doing, i just see a bunch of lines lmao.
>>
>>2771546
okay anon it's good that you're practicing even if you're doing so badly! you're trying! but holy shit if this face didn't crack me tf up
>>
>>2769730
you fucked up the shoulder senpai
>>
Thanks for the books.
>>
File: 1418524629422.png (68KB, 214x226px) Image search: [Google]
1418524629422.png
68KB, 214x226px
>warns anon not to upload the book
>warns anon that fags will mindlessly copy the art
>warns anon that decades of hard work will be devalued and lost
>fag scans the book anyway
>this very thread exists

Where will you be when you people start hating his art?
>>
>>2776593

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5d42w4ZcY4
>>
>>2776593
>warns anon that decades of hard work will be devalued and lost
the fuck are you on about? think of the hundreds of people who got to see it and appreciate it, don't shit on them because 5 retards can't understand the value of it. better on the internet then in some basement in japan.
>>
>>2776593
The only thing I regret is that you will spend your time shadowing any mention of this scan, being mad, instead of studying.
>>
File: 227.jpg (1MB, 2207x1632px) Image search: [Google]
227.jpg
1MB, 2207x1632px
>>2776593
>implying reading the scans will magically give you Yoshinari style and ease
You know, its also cool to sometimes read it and take some inspo from it, some pages are really interesting.
Or maybe you are afraid that with this "great tool", some anons make it before you ?
>>
>>2776620
This guy has some kind of mental illness. I remember him from the Krenz thread where he completely shat his pants and started raging like a little child after some anon was kind enough to share some of Krenz' tutorials. He always does this when there's a thread where some anon shares something for free.
>>
>>2777436
link to tutorial?
>>
>>2777378
>Or maybe you are afraid that with this "great tool", some anons make it before you ?
yes, this is why i go on every thread in /ic/ and tell everyone about how loomis, bridgman and scott robertsons are meme teachers and not worth studying, no one can make it except me
>>
>>2777442
Then stop being such a bitch and let people enjoy the book.
>>
>>2777442
>i'm just doing serious studies of serious subject matter
>if something isn't guaranteed to improve my skill I will not spent time on it
You must have fun drawing. Have you ever thought about what happens if you make it but it's actually not fun at all? Think about it. Don't draw animu waifus tomorrow, draw animu waifus today!
>>
>>2769622
You should be doing that after drawing from life or studying anatomy or gesture.
>>
>>2777819
>implying he isn't
>>
>>2777819
>hurr durr luumis
We fucking know it's been posted 17 and a half times in this thread alone
>>
>>2769622
>itt beginners trying to lecture on what it takes to git gud and thinking there's only one way of doing things

Thanks for the books and study idea op
>>
>>2777819
What do you mean after? Like in a grand scale or like in a daily routine?
>>
resurrecting this thread
>>
>>2781111
nice quads resurrection
>>
>>2781766
Nice dubs
>>
I prefer Kou.
I have always admired his work on valkyrie profile and muv luv.
>>
>>2770683
>Yoh has a firm grasp on every faucet of the human figure after 3 decades ofdrawing and animating, 10 times longer than I have been alive
You're pretty advanced for your age, you're gonna make it.

Just remember not to fall in with the wrong crowd in preschool.
Oh, and don't eat the playdough.
>>
File: mccloud-uc-triangle.jpg (336KB, 1600x1227px) Image search: [Google]
mccloud-uc-triangle.jpg
336KB, 1600x1227px
>>2769705

>but "style" alone falls under a fallacy
>Style is a fallacy
>What is Iconic abstraction

Please anon, read some Scott McCloud, it will take you out of your renaissance sensibilities and "muh realism" mentality.
Thread posts: 90
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.