[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the wisest advice you got from /ic/anon? I saved this

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 2

What is the wisest advice you got from /ic/anon?
I saved this one 2 years ago:

>As long as you focus on being better at art today than you were yesterday, then you'll be just fine. Starting earlier or later doesn't change the fact that it will take you a few years to get really gud. Let's say 5 as a ballpark figure.

>The next 5 years will pass no matter what. At on this day, five years from now, you could either be working on paintings and making money from your work, or you could be thinking the exact thoughts you are right now. Wondering if you'll ever make it, wondering if it's too late, is 27 too late, etc etc etc. If you want to be the artist you could be in those years to come, then pick up the pencil.

>The future comes by itself, progress does not.
>>
>>2764055
>Read the sticky
>>
>>2764055
Kinda obvious advice but still nice, most of /ic/ doesn't seem to get it.

Mine would be this classic: never compare yourself to others, focus on getting better yourself, focus on yourself.
>>
File: 1480647404306.jpg (109KB, 539x720px) Image search: [Google]
1480647404306.jpg
109KB, 539x720px
>>2764055
But muh brain plasticity! 27 is way too late
>>
>>2764055
>git gud
Probably the most useful two words I've ever heard. Also
>draw with a pen
Forces you to think ahead and really start playing your A game ASAP when you sit down with a piece of paper, especially if that pen makes very bold marks like a fineliner or brush pen. It's also a lot easier to draw for a long time when you don't have to press very hard on the page to make bold marks.
>>
>>2764068
>It's also a lot easier to draw for a long time when you don't have to press very hard on the page to make bold marks

What, do you have faggot wrists or do you draw for 20 hours straight?
>>
>this is shit

I'll never forget that day.
>>
>>2764085
I've injured my dominant wrist several times and I'm prone to joint problems. Repetitive motion injuries happen, but I doubt you draw enough to ever have to worry about them.
>>
get away from /ic/
>>
>>2764055
holy fuck man. i've literally been telling myself something identical to this recently, that time is going to pass and at 5 years from now at age 27 (cause i'm 22) i'll be in the same spot with the same goals if i don't do shit right now. trippy af
>>
>>2764055
>You are not going to make it
>>
>>2764055
>Learn values
>>
>Just fucking pick something and follow through with it. If it sucks, find something better with the knowledge you've gained and follow through with that.
>>
mine's a pretty recent one but its something close to my heart
it is as follows

> get away from /ic/
>>
I just heard one a minute ago that rings true.

>get away from /ic/
>>
There is one thing I have heard only recently, but that really spoke to me

>>get away from /ic/
>>
>your moms a faggot ass bitch whore.
>>
mine was

>imagination drawing == memory drawing

I wasted way too many years doing photo studies and still lives wondering when will all click and start to be good at drawing from imagination

I was taught in the academic way when all I wanted was to be able to put on paper what I have in mind, not make nice renders of what I can already see
>>
>>2764205
This one touched me to my core

>get away from /ic/
>>
>>2764614
This is surprisingly good advice. I can't imagine the amount of time I have wasted arguing with you faggots.
>>
>>2764196
>>2764205
>>2764614

/ic/ can be good... if you can keep it from destroying your soul. Lot of bad artists here giving bad advice, but you do find some gems. Good ref threads, good place for pirate links for books and demos. I've been introduced to some great artists that I wouldn't have heard about here. And any time I think something I'm drawing is good, the thought of posting it here makes me look at it with a newly critical eye and I never fail to see a whole new batch of flaws.

Also, being part of a community can be very motivating. Now that CA is dead, this is kind of the only active art community for aspiring commercial artists on the Internet.
>>
>all these people not listening to their own advice
Not gonna make it
>>
>>2764062
you can even rewire your brain when your fucking 70. 27 is nothing
>>
>>2764640
>>2764614
>>2764205

Can't be that great advice if you're still here.
>>
>>2764061
>never compare yourself to others
If you're the competitive type, then you should compare yourself to others, it definitely helps me improve at an astronomical rate and motivates me to draw a lot more.
>>
>>2764642
The best thing about /ic/ is that you can hear things how they are with complete disregard to muh feelings, which is a true blessing for people who are stuck in social comfort bubbles and never feel the need to improve.

Just remember to take ic's technical advice with a grain of salt and focus on the attitude instead.
>>
>>2764838

>Just remember to take ic's technical advice with a grain of salt and focus on the attitude instead.

Reminds me of what Andrew Loomis says in his closing paragraphs in "Creative Illustration".

"All the preceding text must be questioned and held to scrutiny, but, please dear readers, do not stop calling people faggots."
>>
>>2764055
>whatever you do never listen to what /ic/ tells you
>>
>>2764772
It works if you come to it from the right mindset, understanding the time someone has put in and that you have your own unique strengths and limitations and will never be them, but you can be good in your own way.

It's bad when you compare yourself like it's a girl that's prettier than you and instead of harnessing your inferiority into a motivational engine, you call where you are the top of the mountain and rot.
>>
JUST DRAW
U
S
T

D
R
A
W
>>
>>2764874

This

>JUST FUCKING DRAW GET OUT OF INTERNET DRAW YOU LAZY PIECE OF SHIT
>>
>>2764838
It's hard to give technical advice to anons. You can only tell them "x is shit, fix y here, work on z". You don't know what they know and how they work so you can only say "loomis" or "vilppu" instead of

>take these specific vilppu videos from my 20 gig collection and pay attention to how he does master studies, specifically how they capture form in gesture, really watch how he does it--how he lays down the rhythm because your stick figure skelly boxes are stiff, how he feels the form and marks the volume before capturing it in a line.

>You're drawing what you think you see without feeling it out first and it's fucking up your foreshortening and making those areas look flat because you don't give yourself any indicator of volume, so when you clean it up, it has no implied depth.

Instead you get a picture and have to assume they generally know what's wrong, are working on it, and merely missed a fuckup that stands out because that does happen.
>>
>>2764885
Great example why you shouldnt listen to ic advice.
>>
>>2764885
The reason you're not giving proper advice is because can't be assed to do so.

And that's perfectly normal. Teaching is hard and not very rewarding. And people come to /ic/ for a break from work.

Your example is very telling because that's exactly how an involved teacher would show his pupil how to correct a mistake.

He wouldn't shrug his shoulders and just assume they know what's wrong and merely missed a fuckup. That doesn't happen to people who know what they're doing.

Instead, he would show how its being done before the pupil and explain his thinking process or the essence of this technique. Or point him to a master who can do it better than himself (vilppu in your example).

So if somebody on ic tells you "X is wrong, fix Y here and work on Z", remember to disregard this advice completely.

And, on the other hand, if somebody gives you a direct link to a video and explains what exactly makes this method better than your current one, you should at least give it a shot.
>>
>>2764934
>He wouldn't shrug his shoulders and just assume they know what's wrong and merely missed a fuckup. That doesn't happen to people who know what they're doing.
When you know someone and work directly with them, you know what they are working on and only need to point out the obvious errors. Here, you have to make (the often wrong assumption) that they know the whole thing needs work and you focus on what is worse than everything else. You have to have certain information to give specific advice, not just that you can't be bothered.

Otherwise I agree completely, especially about showing how something is done and explaining the process. Watching someone work is so much more valuable than trying to decipher what they did from stills in a book.
>>
>>2764874
>>2764877
>Le Ju5t FuCKING D00 IT!!

Stale meme.
>>
>>2764061

>most of /ic/ doesn't seem to get it.

Much of /ic/ is stuck in a silly philosophy that if you're not doing it 100% optimally why bother, because to some people if they're not better than literally everyone else on earth it's not worth doing.

The idea that someone started a few years ahead of them gives them this nonsensical belief that they had a head start and that their own achievements will always be handicapped by this.

Competitiveness is healthy and good for self-improvement, but people on here get really neurotic about it.
>>
>>2764949
It's a hyperbolic reaction to online art culture. Don't take it seriously, only the autists do that and much of /ic/ is autistic. The message underneath is solid, though.
>>
>>2764949

It's not a philosophy. It's how normal people think.

You see others doing well and not their mistakes. People don't post absolute shit and you're not there on the journey with them to have gotten good.

All you know are your mistakes and the way you constantly mess up. For someone else to do something you consistently can't, even despite working hard (this part is too broad so I'm keeping it short. Some people work at all so whatever) and trying to learn how to do it, can very easily translate into simply "there is something wrong with me".

It's quite possibly the most relatable and easiest explained common thought about making any kind of art.
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.