[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what are your personal advice, tricks and tips when using pencils /ic?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

File: JOL_EXAKT12.jpg (73KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
JOL_EXAKT12.jpg
73KB, 300x300px
what are your personal advice, tricks and tips when using pencils /ic?
>>
File: drawing-overhand-grip.jpg (91KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
drawing-overhand-grip.jpg
91KB, 600x450px
>>2763358
draw from an arm, dont stick it in your butthole, you can hold it like that
>>
>>2763358
Always sharpen with a knife to get a nicely shaped tip
>>
>>2763358
put the pointy bit on the paper
>>
Doesn't work with Huion, I knew I shouldn't have cheaped out and bought the chinkshit.
>>
>>2763658
how does this help?
>>
>>2763660
It presents a more aerodynamic profile and provides less surface for friction, so you don't stress your ligameme as much.
>>
>>2763659
Kek, learn to draw faggot.
>>
File: 52680.jpg (58KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
52680.jpg
58KB, 600x400px
>>2763658
wat do?
>>
>>2763747
Pull out the eraser and use the metal part to carve into the paper
>>
Torrent the drawspace lessons, they got lots of pencil-related techniques/tricks
>>
>>2763358
get one that's not too course or smudgy.

Mitsubishi Hi-Uni best pencil I ever used so far.
>>
>>2763747

snap it in half, sometimes you get a pointy bit you can draw with.

I have to go through a few dozen to get it, pencils really are retarded and inefficient tools.
>>
>>2763362
it this rlly work?
>>
>>2763358
Don't stick one in your pooper
>>
>>2765437
I started drawing like that. It helps a lot when you draw really big and need to lay in big chunks of value fast. I like it. More of a picking shapes out of the clouds sorta thing as it sharpens.
>>
>>2765540
Unless you're trying to have Fun With a Pencil.
>>
remember to occasionally sharpen the pencil
>>
>>2763358
Lots.

Use a lead holder and a set of leads from at least 5B-5H, this should be all you ever need except in some very rare cases. Even then you can make up for it with time and effort if you're the kind of person that wants to really git gud.

Always keep your lead extremely sharp and keep a kneaded eraser handy, if you don't have one then grab a piece of blu-tack. Use a table easel if you can to keep your paper at as close to a 90 degree angle as possible. Then hold your pencil so that it is pointing straight on to the board. Don't touch the paper with your fingers AT ALL, ever. If you can't keep your hand off put

Make your sketches with an HB or softer. The HB will be your workhorse more often than not, so have a lot of them. When you've made your adjustments and are ready to put down tones, you can lighten the lines by rolling your kneaded eraser over it.

Make your marks as lightly as possible and when you use your eraser blot lightly instead of rubbing at it. This is so you don't rip the tooth on the paper, you're going to need it there to hold all that lead. If you ever have to press down (crushing the paper so it can't accept any more lead as well as making shiny pencil marks - which are disgusting) to get the tone you want, you're doing it wrong.

Lay down tones as evenly and lightly as possible. If it didn't come out anywhere even close to dark enough, blot or roll it away with your eraser and then start over with a softer/darker lead. When the tone is laid down, go over it again with a harder lead, filling in the white spots/holes that the softer lead couldn't get to. Do this until satisfied.

Make your marks and tones in the direction of the form like it's in 3-D. If the objects you're drawing aren't flat, don't treat them like it.
>>
>>2767132
>If you can't keep your hand off put tracing paper or something of the sort over it so that your skin's oils don't make the lead stick into the paper permanently.
accidentally deleted that shit.

Always fill in your background before anything else, since tones are relative and pencils can't get as dark as other media, an exact match is impossible. However it's possible to get damned close and keep your tones relative to what is surrounding them.

If you finish the drawing and want to keep it from smudging, use fixative spray on it.
>>
File: Untitled.png (1MB, 1272x740px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
1MB, 1272x740px
>>2763358

Here is a set I carry in my bag when outdoors

keep short pencils. glue it to the back of your next short pencil. never drop them when out, this will take time.

and always understand the difference between the tonal approach and the hatching one.

the set I have shared are for tonal hence the long taper. it doesn't work well with hatching at all. but they are great for studies
>>
Can someone explain to me the reasoning behind exposing such a long piece of lead?

Also is there much of a difference or pros and cons between using mechanical pencils or non mechanical?
>>
>>2767408
Also I know this is a subject done to death but anyone have any thoughts on graphite vs charcoal?
>>
>>2767408
You can slap values on quickly and use whatever the fuck you prefer

No rurrrs just tools
>>
>>2767408
>exposing such a long piece of lead
What do you mean?
Just keep your pencils to a fine point, that's all that matters.

Not much of a difference between mechanical and traditional pencils.
You have to sharpen wooden pencils a lot and there's a chance you'll just get something with broken lead.
Mechanical pencils are alright but have a tendency to get worn down to the point of scratching holes in your paper so you have to be careful.
Lead holders are usually the best option, they sharpen quickly and if you break your lead you can still use it.
>>
>>2767409

Graphite is more of a painters pencil. you can easily achieve a 1-10 value scale with a single pencil or stick. where as with pencils you will need various grades of pencils and even then not dark enough

pencils are also highly reflective and shinny. graphite is not. it is matt black

also smudging power.

>>2767408
to be able to hold it like a paint brush. and utilize it in tonal manner than as a linear tool. there is allot more to it than that but that is the main one for me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwQdOgAD_Bc&t=4227s
>>
>>2767430
>you will need various grades of pencils and even then not dark enough
Not true. You just need to know how to use them right. I've gotten a very dark black from just an HB and an H before. Just learn your tools people.
>>
>>2767442
nope famalanio

this is simply not true, even the 6B is composite of graphite and something else and still not anywhere near as dark as a charcoal pencil
>>
>>2767442
This post is everything wrong with /ic/.

You literally don't even draw.
>>
>>2767524
post your work faggot
>>
I never tried a mechanical pencil before. I like my leads very sharp,so I can only add that when you start your drawing day,have dozens of pencils already sharpened. So when the lead inevitably dulls,you can just reach for another sharp one and maintain a constant flow of serious work.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.