[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/ic/ class of 2016

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: panic.jpg.jpg (32KB, 428x281px) Image search: [Google]
panic.jpg.jpg
32KB, 428x281px
im gonna be teaching a class of 8-12 year olds about art
i decide what to teach them, how many classes there are, etc etc
i've never taught anyone anything before. please help me /ic/. maybe we can turn this into an opportunity and give them actual skills that they might use one day if they wanna pursue art? or is that too much to lay on them?
>>
How did you get into this situation OP? Is someone holding a gun to your head?
>>
introduce them to loomis on day one
>>
tell them that they're all not gonna make it
>>
>>2762402
At that age it is probably best to avoid doing anything that might scare them away from art. I would probably avoid things like pulling out textbooks and perspective or anything too academic.

Maybe try having them bring in some image they like (maybe a screenshot from a TV show even, or an image of a character they like) and then you teach them how to copy it accurately by noting the 2d shapes. Keep it simple and fun if possible, and maybe just show them how to observe so they can copy things they enjoy and feel satisfaction of being able to have what they draw look like something. Depending how many classes there are, once they are somewhat comfortable with drawing copying 2d shapes you can try getting them to draw from life. Again, I would keep the subject matter relevant to their interests, so maybe this involves getting some action figures or something?

It might be good to try to show them some examples of art that they might not have been exposed to before, and show them what current painters are doing today and what jobs exist in commercial art and so on. Just expose them to things, and they can get serious later on down the road if they become interested.
>>
>>2762405
it's a community thing. i guess parents would sign their kids up for it?

>>2762406
>>2762407
fuckin /ic/ fuclk you

>>2762408
i like a lot of what you're saying anon

how about teaching them to draw 3d tho? cubes and pyramids and stuff? it doesn't strike me as something that's too advanced.
>>
>>2762410
Oh no, parents? Now you have to impress them. Teach them to draw animals from photos or some other resource. I've found kids enjoy drawing animals.
>>
>>2762402
Do things right OP, have them draw from life. Each day have a different student pose nude for the entire class.
>>
>>2762410
>how about teaching them to draw 3d tho? cubes and pyramids and stuff? it doesn't strike me as something that's too advanced.
It probably is too advanced actually, especially for the younger ones. Even if they do manage to be able to draw cubes in perspective properly (which would take a while to teach a child) they won't be able to see the relationship between that and, say, drawing a head. The main reason though I would warn against that is nothing is more boring to a kid than drawing cubes and cones. You want to ensure that they are enjoying themselves and don't see art as a boring tedious activity full of rules.
>>
>>2762422
>and don't see art as a boring tedious activity full of rules.
>implying it isn't
They better learn the harsh truth sooner than later.
>>
>>2762426
Yes, that can be argued, but there are more than one set of rules in that case, ie. someone who wants to be an animator will have different "rules" than someone who wants to be an oil painter. At that age they probably will see things only in black and white so if you present something as fact they take it at face value and it can be damaging depending what you are teaching them.
>>
File: fun-with-a-pencil.jpg (314KB, 667x921px) Image search: [Google]
fun-with-a-pencil.jpg
314KB, 667x921px
Use Fun with a Pencil to make your own class plan. The entire point of the book is for anyone to be able to start drawing with some light but correct instruction while leaving room for creativity.

Get the kids some funny/action references to draw (random safe for kids magazines even), make clear and easy/fun exercises for them to do and make sure YOU do them alongside them.
Making up their own super heroes is a great one. Fold a piece of paper and draw a 4 page comic.

Introduce them to fundamentals with very basic exercises and real life examples/interesting examples of them. Like 1 point perspective=train tracks is obvious and easy. Look at Fun with a pencil for other examples.

Just briefly mentioning the fundamentals you will do more for these kids than 95% of all art teachers in non-specialized high schools. Even if they don't understand it they will retain the knowledge that the fundmentals exist and research it on their own later if they get interested in pursuing art.

Also bring in sketches/drawings from your favorite [safe for kids] artists to show them different drawing styles/techniques. Bring in art books from famous movies/games and let them look through it and copy.
>>
>>2762470
>95%
Hey, come on. It's not that high. Probably. All my teachers taught the fundamentals.
>>
File: 1320987271193.jpg (52KB, 445x500px) Image search: [Google]
1320987271193.jpg
52KB, 445x500px
Use your own studients as models for live drawing
And yes teach them Loomis and Vilppu
>>
>>2762402
go full tilt academic get them started on some good ol charles bargue. not sight size but from eye teach them to measure.
>>
>>2762410
>parents signing up for something they know nothing about
Must have been great advertising if the teacher doesn't have anything yet
>>
>>2762402
red pil them about black people.
>>
>>2762414
Maybe this, yeah. Teach them to draw using a grid and replicate some photos of animals, maybe that'd help uproot symbol drawing :-)))

>>2762421
Life drawing doesnt sound bad but the whole nude thing is a no go pal

>>2762422
You make a good point. I dont want to bore them.

>>2762426
You must learn to have fun, anon!

>>2762470
but isn't loomis a little too advanced?

>>2762889
^

>>2763107
I'll have to check out this Charles Bargue

>>2763132
Haha, nobody's signed up yet. But i think some parents have shown interest in it or something because i was approached and asked to teach

>>2763134
wat
>>
>>2762402
start with scott robertson and tell them they're worthless if they fail
>>
>>2762402
don't teachers get teaching classes before they're allowed to teach? is that different for art classes? if so, it's such bullshit how everyone considers art insignificant its not even funded.

Whatever you do OP, don't make it serious. Unless you get a kid who is serious give private lessons to him about fundamentals or extra credit, but in general i would teach technique and give a subject to paint like their pet or classmate. don't be harsh on them and make it fun.
>>
Don't give them a wall when it come to they're creativity.
>>
>>2762410

im a teacher for this age group, part time, to subsidize my freelance. I have been for ten years.

be careful about the 3d and technical stuff. it puts them off easily, especially in this entertainment age.

at that age, it's what INSPIRES you that motivates you to work hard later.

get them inspired and motivated. they're EIGHT to TEN.

If you stuff loomis and technical shit down their throats they'll hate you and never want to do art. a bit of it is fine, sure, teach measurements and basic shit but don't make your class all about that.

if I only taught technique I'd have no students. yes technique is important but please allow them to explore their creative freedom too

art isn't all technical, unlike what IC thinks loll that's only 50% of the battle
>>
>>2762402
slit their ligamemes
>>
>>2762402
Funny, I'll be doing the same thing this summer with teens.
My plan is to have a fun exercise where we draw a happy little dwarf - two circles and a triangle with arms, connected by one action line. Then I'll tell them that drawing doesn't get much more difficult from there, because they already know the two key concepts - gesture and structure.

In the later lessons we'll use the same approach with a dog or the human figure, then we'll swap circles for balls and triangles for cones. Once working with 3D, we can learn to separate the light from dark (shading) and even feel the form a bit. I'll use frequent demos to keep them motivated and to understand how can even the simplest looking ideas be applied to complex drawing.
Those lil' fags will draw like Picasso before finishing high school.
>>
>>2762402
Don't know about kids but for total beginners "drawing with the right side of the brain" is not bad.
Making them draw upside down things by just copying the contour will help them getting out of symbol drawing.
>>
>>2762402
I think teaching them to just draw what they see is your best bet. Seconding >>2766119 recommending exercises out of DotRSotB to teach them measuring, negative spaces, etc. Basically introduce a small number of concepts like those, demonstrating how to use them in a drawing, and have them draw something themselves while being around to answer questions and give critiques.

Whatever you decide to teach I'd recommend getting them some vine charcoal, newsprint, and kneaded erasers right away. They're fun to work with and will get them out of the common habit of timidly chicken scratching out their values with pencils. You could probably have them get impressive results just by teaching them to draw shadows, midtones, and highlights with charcoal. 3-tone charcoal drawings can be done relatively quickly and give the kids something nice to put on the fridge.

I took an 8-week (~2 hours every weekend) class at a museum that was taught by a guy who used the DotRSotB exercises as the basis for his class. By the end of it I could make decent charcoal drawings and most of my classmates could too.

>>2762421
Ok, I laughed.
>>
Hand them pieces of paper with blank circles, labeled with different emotions.

Then have them draw the emotions.

Glen Keane's father taught him that.
>>
>>2763541
>but isn't loomis a little too advanced?

The premise of fun with a pencil is basically "look at the cool things you can draw with basic shapes!"

I don't think that really basic construction is necessarily too advanced for kids their age, just don't slap them with perspective and shit.
>>
>>2768716
That's some 5 year old shit
>>
I remember when I went to Disney World as a kid doing a drawing session at Animation Academy and loving the shit out of it.
Maybe you can do something similar?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCt9StZMFf8

It may not be realism but it's teaching kids how to use construction to make forms.
>>
>>2768716
That's actually a good idea for everyone.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.