[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The path to 2D environment concept art

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: download.jpg (9KB, 279x181px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
9KB, 279x181px
Hello fellas. I have worked as a 3D environment artist for some years now and decided to pursue 2D environments and matte paintings. I have not much experience in drawing and on the painting department I only do some texturing for models. What is the best way to get me into it considering my background? Seems the general opinion is to learn to draw first, then learn to paint. But how do I get better at environments specifically? Studying Loomis or Gurney seems like more for character inclined artists. Should I start by drawing copies of environment photos/paintings? Or would it be more productive to start directly with some painting and grind until I get better? I am a confused pleb because I see some artists following a more constructionist way like Feng, drawing and painting over the lines and others just go directly to paint/thumbnail values and start with that. I have no intentions of becoming a master for now, I just want to start doing some quality work to get my foot in the door to work specifically on environments and learn more while I'm working, so can I skip anatomy and gesture? Also, any recommended book for my case? Thank you based ones.
>>
>>2761773
I'd start at the beginning and see what I actually know. Sculpting and 3D modeling give you a leg up over beginner artists, but if you don't know how to draw or paint, you don't know how to draw or paint. The most important fundamentals to push would be perspective, gesture (trees and buildings have a gesture too) color theory and composition. Working through Robinson's How to Draw is probably the most relevant with your background, you already have an understanding of 3D forms and perspective, FOVs and all that, but putting them in perspective without blender doing it for you is a different skill. The bulk of the work is going to be learning light, color and representing form in 2D. The biggest hurdle for 3dfags is composition. Making one thing look good from any angle doesn't overlap with making everything look good from one angle as much as one would think.
>>
just draw from life
>>
>>2761792
OP here. You are correct, I have issues with composition, specially when thumbnailing. When doodling the MG,BG,FG layers I basically get paralyzed because I am unable to visualize the layers in 3D and get no sense of depth from them, even though I know the technical part of adding atmosphere, contrast differences etc. I'm missing the step between the shit I imagine and how to materialize it in a visually (at least) understandable concept with proper lighting, depth, perspective. I'll check "How to Draw", ty kind sir.
>>
Use a 3D base. Apply photos. Welcome to matte painting
>>
>>2762234
Step 2 is the difficult part here though.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.