[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I wanna be a cartoonist

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 11

File: angry.png (780KB, 2448x2448px) Image search: [Google]
angry.png
780KB, 2448x2448px
I made this rant on /i/ but I feel like it fits better here.

I wanted to talk about how I can get started in working with cartoons as a job.
I've been drawing comics since I was a kid and the more I've done it over the years, I'm trying to improve my jokes and story telling to be more universally acceptable. I want to know what you guys think of my content and also I'd like any advice for trying to make money or at least gain any sort of popularity.

I might be dumping more of my art if anyone else is interested.
>>
File: big shirt.png (1MB, 5339x7465px) Image search: [Google]
big shirt.png
1MB, 5339x7465px
My art isn't the greatest, but I'm more confident in my characters and jokes, I guess.

Here's a longer page with unrelated characters.
>>
File: jojo mika maddie.png (515KB, 950x750px) Image search: [Google]
jojo mika maddie.png
515KB, 950x750px
I really wouldn't say I'm a great cartoonist. I'm still trying to find my style.

I try to experiment by using more complex ways of telling a joke or showing off my characters. It may sound cringey or nerdy, but JoJo's Bizarre Adventure made me want to experiment more with different art styles and even helped me with proportions and faces. As well as shading. It's not the best reference for better art, but it does help.
>>
File: IMG_2603.png (693KB, 1024x549px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2603.png
693KB, 1024x549px
I try going the easier route by starting off with fanart and get more recognition, but I'm into shitty fandoms. Or I'm not into enought mainstream fandoms. I can do JoJo, but any fanart that could be thought of has already been made.

I used to really be into Undertale and tried to make fanart of that, but I never improved my art enough to stand out.
>>
File: balls insurance small.png (638KB, 623x831px) Image search: [Google]
balls insurance small.png
638KB, 623x831px
I try to make more relatable depression or anxiety cartoons and that tends to get more attention. I guess mental illnesses can be considered a fandom.
>hahahaha

I think the self-deprecating ones are the more sympathetic, empathetic, and popular comics of mine. It's more of a vent for me and the anti-punchline is always my favourite punchline to do.
>>
File: out of it.png (478KB, 2448x2300px) Image search: [Google]
out of it.png
478KB, 2448x2300px
I dunno. I just wish my shit can get bigger but I really don't know how. Nowadays, the amount of cartoonists and webcomics is more than just "a lot". I know I'm not the only one here who wants to make it big. I wish the best for everyone, really. I just feel so lost in my own art and my own wants.

I really want to do good art. I want to practice more and start a comic book story. I have the ideas, but never know when to start. Even then, I don't know if anyone will like it. Art is all just a gamble. Whether someone likes it or not is up to fate. And I keep pushing my luck by making art that gets seen by like a few tens of people on Instagram or DeviantArt. I have a few hundred followers on Instagram, but it's only getting slower. Who knows how many spam accounts those are?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nq04Mjn3AV8
I started making some YouTube videos kinda inspired by how H3H3 or Filthy Frank edits.I kinda wanna do more of these, but also have other plans.
>>
File: college debt.png (436KB, 3176x2028px) Image search: [Google]
college debt.png
436KB, 3176x2028px
I think being in college and living with my parents still who don't really believe in art has kinda killed my passion too. I don't have a place to record things or animate things. And I don't have the time. I'm just going the safe route and start teaching. Even then, I question if I'll be happy.
>>
File: i need an idea.png (154KB, 1450x1800px) Image search: [Google]
i need an idea.png
154KB, 1450x1800px
I have all these ideas not only in cartoons, but in movies or games. I can totally try and start them, but then I question how I'm going to do it myself. When will I have the time? I really want to have my work out there and actually try. I want to brainstorm on ideas that I really want to do.
>>
File: ffffuck.png (25KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
ffffuck.png
25KB, 1200x800px
I participated in draw threads on /b/ to get closer with the drawing community. I did end up befriending one of them, but I never got to talk to them more. I would love to get to know more fellow artists and just share my shit with them.
>>
File: idea.png (2MB, 2017x3077px) Image search: [Google]
idea.png
2MB, 2017x3077px
I don't know where I'll end up artistically speaking. I hope I can end up making a book or something. I hope I can reach the thousands in followers on Instagram. I hope one of my videos become a viral hit and I get some subscribers. Maybe I should make a Patreon. I just wish I also had time and money.

This thread really derailed into something I wasn't expecting to spill out. I already vented all of this in /i/. I feel like here would be more appropriate. I just really down with how I'm doing as an artist and I need some form of validation or critique. Positive or negative criticism, I welcome it because I only strive to be better.
>>
File: snowballing.png (307KB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
snowballing.png
307KB, 2448x3264px
As I also said in the other thread, I have class tomorrow and I need to sleep.

Goodnight, /ic/. I don't know this place, but thank you for letting me rant the same rant again. I might come back to this thread if anyone cares.
>>
Woah there tiger, before you even think about how to get fame and fortune, spend a few years to work on your art, your humour, your everything because your ideas aren't as good or funny as you think they are. Maybe you would have gotten more recognition a decade ago but so many people nowadays try to do the same thing as you are that it's impossible to get a large enough fanbase with what you've shown.
>>
These aren't bad anon, I'd continue doing what you're doing, you seem to be on the right track.
>>
>>2760679
Get better at everything first. Your lines are bad, your anatomy is bad, your faces are bad and your coloring is bad.
>>
>>2760675
>cartoons as a job.
wew, 2 lines in and already know your future.

Don't get your hopes up kid. Put a realistic goal in mind. A lot in here already know this and most either do it because they just wanna create something they can wank on or as a hobby.

Either you have mad talent or don't get paid.
>>
>>2760693
i read this top to bottom and got really confused. it's because of the width of the divisions. if comics are your thing, i'd recommend reading scott mccloud's 'understanding comics' and 'making comics' cover to cover.
>>
>>2760693
This would be on point if the first guy made a counterpoint with a picture of Al Gore pointing at melting ice.
>>
>>2760738
Hey, I just used three different meanings of the word point in a single sentence. That is some monkey-shakespeare shit.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.