[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is art school a waste of time?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

File: UTRA LEWD.png (18KB, 108x80px) Image search: [Google]
UTRA LEWD.png
18KB, 108x80px
Why is art school a waste of time?
>>
>>2759235
It isn't, you should go! =D
>>
>>2759235
Not a waste of time, it's a waste of money
>>
>>2759235
They're mostly scams with resources actually inferior to what you could find on the internet with some grit.

That isn't a hyperbole, by the by. Art schools are by definition scams.
>>
>>2759235
Contemporary western art schools concentrate on cultivating personal style in a market where that's a zero-sum product, and to boot have no industry connections or any real avenues to translate what they've taught into a commercial job.

Which would be fine if their audience was little old ladies looking for a hobby, instead of directionless kids with no life goals trying to get a paycheque they'll have a hand in earning, over being a base human capitol drone that'll be outsourced to Chinese packrats or automated come ten years, being outright lied to about the career viability of their skillset.

So it's a waste of time.
>>
>>2759251
Because i want to do a job in art but it seems like my options are very limited :/
>>
File: Art_PeterUrsem01.jpg (89KB, 520x387px) Image search: [Google]
Art_PeterUrsem01.jpg
89KB, 520x387px
I can only give you the advice I would give myself pre-university: If you can get in to a respected institution go for it but art is a job doesn't require qualifications and they won't guarantee you success, there are plenty of courses that will take your time and money without teaching you any more than you would have learned in your own time.
Bear in mind there are a lot of arts graduates out there who haven't and likely won't ever make it before you ask yourself if the course is worth the investment.
>>
>>2759255
You're not wrong.

Hang in there, buddy.
>>
>>2759275
its tough being a artist huh?
well i mean i was thinking of doing something in video game design i guess
>>
>>2759246
>No one cares about what school you went to, just your portfolio
>artists with a college degree still make the same amount of money as a artist with just a highschool diploma
>he still doesn't think that its both a waste of time AND money
>>
>>2759235
Bigger waste of money than time imo
>>
>>2759294
>"I'm just going to learn by myself with no guidance or structure, that works for everyone"
You're right though, most art schools are scams. Some are good though, they're just expensive as fuck.
Ateliers are the best choice.
>>
>>2759235
it's not. Investing money keeps you motivated.
>>
>>2759235
University/Colege teaches you how to do jobs and learn skills that are already dead.

Pro: You learn things people don't know
Cons: 90% of it is useless.
>>
>>2759509
Fine art ain't dead.
>>
>>2759514
Sure, but the fine art they'll teach has been out of fasion for decades. In the end of the day the impetus is on you regardless. Schools teach you more and it's up to you if you think it's worthwhile to learn something antiquated.
>>
>>2759235

Because fuck other artists giving you advice and critique in artistic environment while doing variety workshops in techniques and media you'd never do or be aware of on your own (like artistic printing).
>>
>>2759247
>Art schools are by definition scams.
>>
>art school
>waste of time meme
>>
waste of time in america unless you go to an amazing one like Art center or calarts.

But I live in Europe so I get mostly free education so lel
>>
File: Got my BFA did, fam!.jpg (374KB, 703x1227px) Image search: [Google]
Got my BFA did, fam!.jpg
374KB, 703x1227px
Because 9/10 of them are like this without the option to pursue anything more substantive
>>
File: 325435435353535.jpg (215KB, 674x506px) Image search: [Google]
325435435353535.jpg
215KB, 674x506px
>it's same anon who was busted thousand times posting meme pics
>>2759751
>waste of time in america
Oh
>open famous art theacher wiki page
>found where he teaching
>big list of art schools
>google about them
>it's fine art schools
But I understand. Most US anons can't do this. Those threads are great example
>>
>>2759754
>it's same anon trying to desperately validate his poor choices in front of strangers on the internet
>>
File: Amy Verrier BFA 2016_03-X2.jpg (170KB, 641x960px) Image search: [Google]
Amy Verrier BFA 2016_03-X2.jpg
170KB, 641x960px
>>2759762
>only posting fine arts instead of design
>>
>>2759246
Time is money, money is time, therefor it's a waste of time. Checkmate atheists
>>
>>2759235
Is taking art classes a-okay then?
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.