[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DRAWING PROCESS

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: Lady_of_the_Lake_wip.png (399KB, 1392x1836px) Image search: [Google]
Lady_of_the_Lake_wip.png
399KB, 1392x1836px
Hey /ic/
Having some troubles finishing my sketches.
Been sketching but had a fear of ruining it while trying to finish it and now I don't know how to approach it.
Would appreciate tips and images/videos of your own drawing process from start to finish.
>Pic related. Current drawing that I really wanna finish.
>>
>>2758752
What in particular are you struggling with? Going from the sketch to finished lineart? Blocking in colors? Rendering?
>>
>>2758761
Mostly Rendering.
Have been trying things out but don't know how to
achieve the level of rendering that I want.
This pic shows how far I get with it. Which is not very far imo. Most times I won't even get this far.
>>
>>2758752
Dude, thats something i can be afraid of when drawing with ink. How can you fear to ruin it when you can just ctrl z or whatever like a cheater?
>>
>>2760830
ctrlz is a devil desu
used to ctrl+z twenty times for each stroke, pure wanking autism mate
>>
>>2758752
Don't be a lil bitch.

>>2760830
What kind of retard do you have to be to have to use ctrl+z?
>NO ERASING
>>
>>2760835
dude i wouldnt honestly know. I kinda despise this whole digital art thing- as far as i cant argue with effects, if its good its good, but it does feel like cheating to me. Can't help it. I just assumed ctrl z ought to be valid option for yall digitalfags, right?
>>
>>2760837
I use both traditional and digital, and digital is at its most fun when you're just emulating the traditional process with 1 layer/no ctrl z sorta stuff and aren't trying to fag it up with post-processing and crutches.

I'm not saying that abstaining makes you a better artist, it's just more fun having to commit to the process.

That said you still ctrl z when your tablet spazzes out and gives you a solid fucking opaque black turd of a line in Photoshop, or random shits on Corel Painter, that sorta thing.
>>
>>2760841
ofc it doesnt make me a better artist! I just like to draw tho, all the technicalities behind digital bores me to death.. go to options, select brush, filter, all this stuff. I prefer doin that manually even if it 'limits' me in some ways. I also dont judge. too much. All im sayin is, ctrlz IS an option, even if you.. shouldnt? use it
>>
>>2760849
and also i love to touch the paper with cool facture. Go over finished drawing with my hand and feel all the bumps and places i damaged paper a little.. cant replace it. So yeah, i wont even try and im gonna live in denial
>>
>>2758752
>>2758769
How you can you be afraid of "ruining" a digital sketch? You have potentially infinite history states and copies of your drawing.
Stop being afraid and start being excited about all the possibilities you have.

If I were to guess based on the one example you gave, I'd say your problem isn't with rendering but with painting in general. You're lacking a well-defined value structure and basic understanding of how light affects forms. It's going to be a rough ride if you're struggling with your fundamentals. It's more important that you learn how to start paintings than finish them at this point, you need to get comfortable with it. Do lots of small studies, but do them with a specific purpose. Tonal composition, value contrast, hue contrast, saturation, etc. Focus on one area of dominance for your paintings rather than trying to achieve everything at once. Do these in 20-40min sketches so you're not tempted to keep noodling around.

If you don't have a basic painting process you should start by watching other people paint. There's plenty of content out there. Watch people paint traditionally rather than just digital. Jeff Watts has a few youtube videos, or Steve Huston and Bill Perkins at NMA.
But more importantly, think about how you want to approach your finished paintings rather than simply what you want the end result to be. Plan ahead. Start with smaller sketches and thumbnails to define your composition, value scale, color palette, etc. Break it down into stages so you have a clearer view of what it is you want to do.
>>
Just do it, no ones gonna see it anyway. Try timing yourself and setting small goals. Draw something easy in 2 minutes, then 5 then 10. If you still cant do that then practice lines and varied pressure in the same stroke. Fill a page with hatching or tiny circles or anything just get comfortable.Warm up for a couple hours then work on a finished piece. It boosts your confidence when you have something you can show off with relative pride. It makes you want to draw more :) for some people at least :P
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lRtV-ugIT0k
>>
>>2758752

As anon said, u can't be afraid of ruining a digital painting, layers exist for a reason.

I think you are afraid of wasting your time actually ( I had this fear ) but you have to overcome it.

When it's shit, delete and restart. ( or just hide the layer if you are too afraid )
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.