[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is your process for drawing original artworks of characters?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: KilaPart01_RenderSmall_v2.jpg (239KB, 600x849px) Image search: [Google]
KilaPart01_RenderSmall_v2.jpg
239KB, 600x849px
For a completely original drawing, my process is:
1. Make a simplistic 3d base mesh containing the largest forms of the subject (without modeling in small details), the most important aspect is just to get the scale of my character's general bodily proportions right.
2. Rig my base mesh with a simplistic rigging script and pose the model for the composition.
3. Light my model using the 3d program's lighting tools to have a general idea of what the values will be on my subject.
4. Paint on-top of the model just to block out the form of my subject using the lighting as a guide for values.
5. Using photo reference, anatomy books, other drawing books as reference (Loomis Head and Hands for faces/hands, Vilppu/Finch for anatomy): I construct finer details such as individual hooks/curves in muscles, the face, ear relief, and so on. These are expected to not be exactly mathematically accurate but the end-result still comes out pretty convincing.
6. I finish rendering out my subject with polish-y details such as specular highlights, edge-lights, or other stylish hyper-real rendering (paintbrush strokes) etc.

I don't like constructing human forms without using a 3d model. Correct perspective and anatomical proportions are requirement for my work. I've taken some figure drawing courses and I've gone over the "How to Draw" book from Scott Robertson on constructing original forms from scratch using grids and mechanical perspective. I found using grids and mechanical perspective simply ended up taking more time than just using a 3d model and ended up with exactly the same result.

Is there a better way to do what I'm doing?
>>
File: tumblr_nuciafPqW01uo4yrqo4_1280.jpg (49KB, 736x520px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nuciafPqW01uo4yrqo4_1280.jpg
49KB, 736x520px
Krenz Cushart

Pretty much is the best way. Look at his tutorials and he also has some stream video.
>>
>>2755852
Make a 3D model or sculpt each time I make a drawing, lol fuck that shit. Might as well just make and use the 3D models at that point.
>>
That process might work if you are doing tons of drawings of the same character, buy in the end it's way better and effective to master the fundies and use it to consistently draw the same character.
>>
>>2755852

It's ok OP, even Robertson in his "How to Render" that he made after "How to Draw" basically says "fuck it, do 3D model and paintover".

Hell, if you have a bit of time, see how many hacks he makes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diMDoFkN73s

He basically says how he made some designs of alien faces from paintover over onion photos etc. Also how he creates different designs for shoes and sf merc uniforms just with sliders and how it all renders without him.

Oh and here he explains how he basically buys a set of 3D shapes, pastes them randomly in modo, sets lighting and bam! - he has sf cityscape he can paint over:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuH3LZs9rwI
>>
grab a pic of character, grab a pencil, brain sorts out the rest. no need to make things too complex.
>>
when a want to make a 3d model I use one of my drawings as a concept, but I don't use 3d models when I want to draw. modeling, rigging,skinning, posing, lighting, can consume a lot of time. is no worth the time for just one drawing.
>>
>>2755911

Oh and one of the most perfidious things from the beginning: he doesn't want to draw complex shadow of a bike, so he prints the drawing, cuts it out, sticks to the foam, stages lighting, takes a photo, overlay, the end.

/ic/ would kill you if you'd work like that.
>>
>>2755922
>/ic/ would kill you if you'd work like that.
But that's how you get work done though. That sort of technique is used all over the place in professional jobs. I guess /ic/ should be ignored when it comes to actually getting work done?
>>
>>2755852
You should just use DesignDoll and/or Daz Studio, it's much much faster that way

And if you really want to add clothes, use Marvelous Designer + ZBrush
>>
>>2756417
>I guess /ic/ should be ignored when it comes to actually getting work done?

Yes.
>>
>>2755922
/ic/ would kill you because there would be nothing to critique. If you're not trying to improve your fundamental skills then obviously anything is permitted, "there are no rules only tools" etc.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.