[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Observational drawing with pen

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

File: mycron.jpg (27KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
mycron.jpg
27KB, 600x400px
Does anyone here draw from observation using pen? I've been told my pen technique is strong, but I haven't had much success trying to use it to draw from life. I can with pencil though, usually in a gestural/expressive style. my pen technique is pretty much the opposite, very slow and careful.
>>
>>2752679
Why not post examples of your work instead of making us guess what it looks like, like assholes.

Yes I'm worked with pen. You can do construction with a ballpoint easily, and once I'm at the fixative stage it's not like I break out the eraser that late in the game anyway.
>>
>>2752682
http://adamaustinart.tumblr.com/

here is some pen and pencil work ive done
>>
>>2752684
Seems like a visualization problem, brother, you're rushing into detail without keeping the general whole in your mind.

But then again you basically said that.

Anyway your art reminds me of that flash series with the gay apocalyptic mutants.
>>
>>2752679
>http://prevailandride.tumblr.com/
A great example for drawing with pen and watercolor
>>
>>2752679
>>2754521 nailed the program
>>
File: tumblr_oaqsk6QAdS1vbo5yyo1_1280.jpg (470KB, 1238x1920px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_oaqsk6QAdS1vbo5yyo1_1280.jpg
470KB, 1238x1920px
>>2752684
> I've been told my pen technique is strong

holy fucking kek
>>
>>2755372
cherrypicking is stupid, anon. This would be justified if op was bragging, but he was asking for help
>>
File: takal_peter_treesandfields.jpg (66KB, 625x414px) Image search: [Google]
takal_peter_treesandfields.jpg
66KB, 625x414px
>>2755366
yea i guess i could practice some more value. Another thing is that most pen artists seem to be either illustrators or straight up realists, which only holds my interest so much.However i do like some design and illustration elements at times.

this artist, peter takal does more what i'd like to do, but i don't know of many other similar pen artists.
>>
>>2752679
I keep an A5 sketchbook with me everywhere I go and I always get to draw a couple figures, drapery and scribbles in a bus or school. Great habit really.
Get Keys to drawing and How to portray the clothed figure if you struggle with "how" to do it, then just draw from life a lot.
>>
>>2757886
ive done all kinds of observational drawing with pencil and even ballpoint pen. felt tipped pens seem a lot harder to draw fast like i do with pencil though
>>
>>2757976
Fineliners are perfect for this kind of stuff, 'cause they aren't messy, don't break in your pocket and don't even need a hard surface to draw on. Just train your line confidence so when you're on the go, you only have observation to worry about. Learn to judge the proportions by eye and to draw without looking on the paper, it's a great practice. Drapery and people from the back especially. Don't draw too large.
>>
File: IMG_20161128_0002.jpg (273KB, 874x850px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161128_0002.jpg
273KB, 874x850px
>>2752679
I use pen almost exclusively in my sketchbooks, pic rltd was done with faber castell pitt artist pens and ballpoint pen. It doesn't smudge and you're forced to work quickly, so that's just perfect for sketchbook stuff, I guess.
>>
File: IMG_20161128_0004.jpg (129KB, 874x850px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161128_0004.jpg
129KB, 874x850px
>>2758224
If you like sketching with pens, check out Peter Han's lessons, he does rough lay-ins with very light markers and cleans them up with controlled pen marks. I use this approach quite often, like in pic rltd. Also, Scott the Robertson.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.