[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is writing considered artwork on this board? If it is, can we

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 1

File: Self Improvement.jpg (316KB, 1021x1203px) Image search: [Google]
Self Improvement.jpg
316KB, 1021x1203px
Is writing considered artwork on this board? If it is, can we get a writing general going? I've been dying to collect some resources.

I checked out /lit/ but the whole board appears to be garbage. The only serious threads were circle jerking about Greek philosophers.
>>
It is now. What do you write? Are we talking novels here?
>>
>>2752495
I've always been a bit on the non-fiction side of writing. When I was back in school, teachers highly praised my analysis essays and argumentative essays.

I still felt weak and incomplete as a writer though. To me, fiction feels like it should come "easily" compared to trying to sway someone's opinion.

So pretty much starting from the ground up, I want to learn how to write fiction well. My current focus is on short stories. I feel like I always overdo it when I try to write so I was hoping to focus on a medium that's DESIGNED to be sharp and to the point.

Novels would be cool too but they're definitely beyond me right now.
>>
>>2752494
There are almost no writefags here, only drawfags and sometimes sculptors. You'll probably find more replies there:
>>>/lit/
>>
>>2752511
If this thread fails, I'll give /lit/ a go. But like I said, they seem to focus on the reading portion of literature rather than the writing portion.
>>
>>2752517
nah, there's a critique thread every once and a while.
>>
>>2752502
why did you think fiction would come easily compared to non-fiction? there are few parallels, beyond the use of the language, between fiction writing and analytical writing.
>>
>>2752603

A good argumentative piece still has to follow a good structure and flow, not to mention the research required on your topic to make it felt you actually know something about what you're writing on. There's plenty in common.
>>
>>2752603
I just assumed writing from imagination would be easy. I later realized I have a shit imagination.
>>
>>2752612
That's a pretty weak comparison. You obviously don't know much about writing fiction.
>>
>>2752617
Enlighten us? Have any tips?
>>
>>2752622
the basic difference would be that an argumentative piece centers around making a single proposition, whereas a fiction piece is not presenting an argument, it's presenting a narrative that has to include nuanced, believable characters. Voice, style, imagery, metaphor etc all come into play. The ability to make an point through a structured argument has little to do with the subtleties of crafting a story. You're drawing on different modes of thought.
>>
>>>/lit/

/ic/ is explicitly for visual art
>>
>>2752494
A shame that you're a non-fiction focused guy. /tg/ has a story-general that appears every so often, that can be fun to post in if you're itching to just poop out a story idea you've been sitting on.
>>
>>2752730
My problem is just that I'm bad at fiction. I LOVE it and am looking for ways to improve.
>>
>>2752517
in the same way I found /mu/ more interested in the listening part of music than the playing part? that's a bummer
>>
>>2752757
do the same way we improve on our art

look for artists or works you like, identifie what you likes about them, try to become good at that thing
>>
>>2752637
/lit/ is so dull I often forget it exists.
Do they even have a banner?
>>
>>2752494
nah, there's a critique thread every once and a while.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.