[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Interest to draw

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: maxresdefault.jpg (121KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
121KB, 1280x720px
Interest, desire, passion, will or however you want to call it.

Do you have it?
It's kind of dumb question, but i bet some of you fight the same battle as me.

Long story short:
> Started to take drawing serious few years ago, when i really had desire to draw, create..
>Inspired by amazing hard working illustrators on sijun forums and stuff like Crimson Daggers i started to study hard
> Few years later, i have knowledge but no more passion to create. No interest. No ideas - because lacking of curiosity and i lack that because i lost passion.

So, should one in this state just change hobby?
>>
>>2752455
It sounds like maybe you were grinding studies rather than painting for fun. Are you creating things and exploring your creativity and making interesting stuff? Or are you just copying photos all day to try to learn?

There's a few things you can try.

1) Take a break from art for a bit, maybe a couple weeks or even longer like a few months.

2) Try to remember what got you into art in the first place. It wasn't just the technique, it was what people were creating--so who inspired you? what type of art did they do?

3) Set yourself some fun project, maybe something like worldbuilding and create things for that.

4) Read books, watch movies, read comics, go for walks, go to museums, listen to new music. Just get some new ideas and inspirations and creative juices flowing by exposing yourself to new things.

5) Buy and read The Art Spirit by Robert Henri.
>>
look around. find more art. i'm in a rut right now but i've found more people to look up to, and it helps
>>
File: serial master.jpg (621KB, 1494x1006px) Image search: [Google]
serial master.jpg
621KB, 1494x1006px
>>2752455
>Few years later, i have knowledge but no more passion to create. No interest. No ideas - because lacking of curiosity and i lack that because i lost passion.

>i have knowledge

This is problematic. You were inspired by success stories, hard-working illustrators, etc. You wanted to master it. For some reason now you are already satisfied with what you have.

You lost your curiosity and then you lost your passion. It didn't happen the other way around. That's my hunch.

I think you're suffering from the downfall of the 'serial master.' It's just an archetype for scanners, which are people that are interested in a lot of things, or a.k.a. multi-potentialites.

The problem with this is artists don't need to have the stereotypical ending for the 'serial master'. That is because art is so encompassing, so many things to learn or be passionate about. It's hard to ever feel you've mastered it. You finish one game project at studio just when you've gotten bored of the subject matter, or you are a freelancer and you learn tons of different things.

Drawing things is literally connected to understanding subjects and fueled by being passionate about objects of the world. Drawing is just thinking on paper, or vision on paper. A tool. Open your horizons. You know nearly nothing. Let go of the idea that you have knowledge. Learn again.

That is just my view of things, I could be wrong. I myself am a serial master. I'm still working on mastering art. Read some of the book if you want a better idea, and some tools to motivate yourself in new directions http://libgen.io/book/index.php?md5=DC59A57D18BB950143ABA86F79425ABC
>>
Sounds like you never realized that drawing is just the first step.
>>
>>2752640
it's funny reading this comment knowing I got into drawing because I could not settle for one subject, and I chosed drawing because I can change my subject of drawing any time I want

ty for the link, downloading it right now
>>
>>2752455
Eh, not really. But when you feel passionate about nothing, it's pretty easy to just do something you don't particularly enjoy.

Besides, the results are fun and the process of getting better at something is satisfying.
>>
>>2752640
got a boxdrop or something on that link because I've been at 0% for a few hours with no seeders?
>>
File: click that.jpg (74KB, 1043x733px) Image search: [Google]
click that.jpg
74KB, 1043x733px
>>2752936
http://libgen.io/ads.php?md5=DC59A57D18BB950143ABA86F79425ABC
don't try to torrent off libgen, just directdl from libgen directly or download from one of the other mirrors.

>>2752835
good to hear there are others out here like this c:
>>
>>2753276
>>2753276
thanks again anon, had so many books from there at 0% from that site

any recommended .epub reader? acrobat reader doesn't seam to work and googling I fined shaggy sites
>>
>>2753314
pdflite http://www.pdflite.com/
or http://mupdf.com/
mupdf is more lightweight than pdflite. You can't go wrong with either.
>>
>>2753319
wtf dude, I just deleted 4 bloating programs after inslling that

fuck you
>>
>>2753327
Bro, I installed it a long time ago. Why should I have to check it for you? You should know better than to speed through freeware programs during the installation. Chill out.
>>
>>2753335
mupdf worked

and I never speed thu installation, the single thing I don't read is the law stuff

this one just didn't had any additional installation option and yet icons where appearing on my desktop as it was installing
>>
File: Fotografie-0018.jpg (1MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Fotografie-0018.jpg
1MB, 2560x1920px
>>2753335
I am the dude who downloaded the book you recommended to OP and want to update you on this in case you are interested since, as it turned out, I am a scanner too (and not just in drawing)

I read the first 2 chapters so far, the diary part didn't help me much reading since I was already doing it (learned it from kienan lafferty) but the reward - duration thing help me do pic related which should help me not waste anymore time wondering what I should be drawing or wondering if what I am currently drawing is any helpful in my development or if should keep rendering or go to the next thing

here is again what's in pic in case you can tell
>1. draw stuff from memory
reward - see how much I actually know about what I tried to draw
>duration - as long as it takes to put all I know on paper
>2. look at refs of what I just attempted to draw
reward - learn more about what I tried to draw and see what I knew wrong
duration - until I stop noticing new stuff while looking at the ref
>3. redraw the initial subjects, again, from memory
reward - see how much I actually learned and make sure I remember it
duration - as long as it takes to put all I know on paper
>4. repeat all precedent steps
reward - get more knowledge about those subjects and be able to kjg them
duration - 1+2+3 steps together
>5. watch movies, play games, look at concept arts and the such
reward - broaden the pool of things I am proficient in drawing
duration - 1+2+3+4 steps together

I believe this could be a break down of one of the things which kjg did in his drawing to broaden his visual memory

now to see for myself how much this work, and I hole reading this was helpful for those which had my problem too of not knowing what to draw and how much to stay on a drawing
>>
>>2753962
Thanks for showing your progress through the book. I'm familiar with Kienan as well, I enjoy his videos too.

I also am familiar with KJG and his explanations of how he developed his visual memory. I am sure you are aware of this but make sure you are creating more personal understanding of the subject matter, not just trying to understand the reference literally. So I guess try to draw all the subject matter in one of your styles and strip down the information to the essentials? The same way KJG draws all these different things but it's all completely in his own style or understanding.

Also, since we're talking about KJG here, he starts everyday by collecting references. So you could do the same as well.

Good luck! Hope to hear back at some point and if it's helpful. I like how you've implemented using reference as a way for you to check whether it's a good idea to move on from a subject.
>>
>>2754949
I don't worry about style yet since it's too early in my development I believe, in case that's what you are talking about. Right now I am more focusing on retaining as much information as possible, and mimicking the source material as close as possible as way to test if I actually learned it correctly. I trust I will develop a style as I become more proficient and discover ways to do shortcuts. That's the theory at least, a style now (aka personal input/ understanding) might create bad habits I fear.

I am aware of how kjg collects his refs, I do it from here ,/ic/, a few photographers blogs (actually just 1 atm but I am looking to increase the number as well as get myself into photography when I'll have the money and time), movies/ cartoons and around me. I don't have a schedule for it since I do have a full time non-art job, but I have acquired quite the folder size so even if I lose internet connection I could go months without lack of refs to study.

And on the move from subject to subject, that and the
>as long as takes to put what I know on paper
I feel are the most important things I got out of the reward/ duration thing, because before I did not know how much time to waste on a drawing, or how much on a ref/ subject.

Because of all that I feel I got the most out of my last night drawing session and more importantly, it did not burn me so I can do it again and again. I also made a calendar last night and scheduled my drawing-gaming-singing time so that I don't feel the need to do everything in one day and end up finishing nothing.

Ty once again random anon, your book recommendation did so much good for me, and I am not even done reading it XD.
>>
>>2752455
I'm actually struggling with a similar problem too.
>Gain a surge of drawing motivation
>Crank out a drawings for half of October
>Get a pretty decent streak going for number of days spent drawing
>Get really busy during the week with midterms and club activities
>Not drawing is intensified by vidya coming out
And the cycle continues
It doesn't help that I'm nowhere close to being decent and I feel terrible because even though getting gud is a long term and personal goal of mine, I just sometimes lose the motivation to do it. And this has gone on for a few years for me. I could reasonably say the me two years ago was better than the current me, and it sucks.
>>
>>2752640
>>2752835

>Drawing things is literally connected to understanding subjects and fueled by being passionate about objects of the world. Drawing is just thinking on paper, or vision on paper. A tool.

This is deep, some great insight. No wonder I got into programming and drawing, it's a "polymath-lite" way of life.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.