[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Books vs Field Experience

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 1473619956839.jpg (197KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
1473619956839.jpg
197KB, 1200x900px
Is reference/drawing from photographs/life drawing more powerful than book theory?

How should I divide my time as an artist?
What's more important?

Studying books, or drawing forms?
>>
>>2749225
You need both. That's the whole point of having a theory in the first place.
>>
I would say read about concepts enough to understand them, and compare your work with that from the book. But I find drawing from life to be much more enjoyable and rewarding.
>>
>>2749953
I can agree here 100%. Drawing from life or even from reference photographs the best. It really rules out any possibility of making deviations, which you will do if you only draw from theory and imaginations. If you do enough work from reference, the forms and lighting will be burned into your brain and you can take the skills into imaginative drawing.
>>
>>2749225
draw stuff using knowledge from books, don't just read wtf
>>
Understanding theory compliments drawing from life.

Drawing from life helps you comprehend theory.

Do both, both are important. I'd say applying theory is more important than reading theory, but to apply theory you need to comprehend it, so the first step is usually opening a book.

For example, I remember when I was starting out I was trying to draw a mug on my desk, and it looked fucking retarded every time. I couldn't figure out what the fuck I was doing wrong. Then I read up on the theory of how to draw basic shapes in perspective, and how to construct stuff from basic shapes, and that made a huge difference in how I drew the mug on my desk from observation.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.