[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What the fuck am I doing wrong? I am trying to get a feeling

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 12

File: cube1.jpg (87KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
cube1.jpg
87KB, 1280x960px
What the fuck am I doing wrong? I am trying to get a feeling of 3D objects by drawing them. I am trying to draw cubes all day now, yet often I just get the angles wrong and I don't know why. What should I do?

Pick related, my most recent drawing, tried to dismangle my cube a little bit. And it looks shit
>>
File: cube2.jpg (80KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
cube2.jpg
80KB, 1280x960px
Picture from reference object. Should get the perspective I had when drawing it about right
>>
Drawing small and chickenscratch - that's the biggest tell-tale of no line confidence at all. Draw big. Ghost your lines before you draw them.

There is no magic bullet here. Just focus on straight lines and keep drawing boxes. Make sure you warm up every day with lines and circles (I was going to say boxes, but you're literally at that stage right now).

Don't make your own thread for this next time.

^I wrote all of this without seeing your ref. Read Keys to Drawing, and you're cured, good god
>>
>>2747683
Thanks, will do
>>
>>2747677

1. Stop chicken scratching.
2. One swift stroke, if you can't finish it, stop, then finish it.
3. Goddamn, stop being sloppy and lazy. Your drawing speaks volumes by itself: "Just let me get over with it". That's not the mentality you get for drawing. You need to be patient and accurate.
4. Try looking as little as possible at the paper, have your eyes glued on the reference.
5. Use your elbow/arm/shoulder for drawing, not wrist. Draw bigger.
6. All what I wrote and more are in "Keys to Drawing" by Dodson.

tl;dr Be accurate, ghost your lines/put 1 swift line instead of redrawing it over and over again, look at reference and not on paper
>>
>>2747695
Well, how do I stop chicken scratching? I never get my lines right the first 5 times or so. Making a hard line over the light ones after I found is what kinda works
>>
>>2747705
*found it is what
>>
>>2747705

Practice that. Make 2 random points on paper, ghost your line, then put it through 2 of them.

Or make lines that will meet in the centre. Or parallel lines. There's a fuckton of exercises to help with your lines.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3971zJW9VHI
>>
>>2747677
is this cube seriously supposed to be >>2747678
??

if yes then please read up on perspective, this is classic 2point perspective since there is no tilt involved in the original
>>
>>2747717
Also for curved lines?
>>
>>2747720
Well, yeah, I have to admit I took less time than on my other ones for that drawing since I was kinda frustrated, but it basically is my drawing skills in a nutshell desu. Currently reading up on Keys to Drawing and already realised that I am looking too much on my paper instead of the object I am drawing
>>
>>2747721

Similarly. Paraboles are made by putting 3 points and drawing curves through them. When you draw it, try not end in a point, but a bit after it so they won't look like made of 3 straight lines.

Also "s" curves (think hysteresis/gaussian cfd function in terms of shape).

"How to Draw" by Robertson is good for those "technical" aspects of drafting.
>>
>>2747677
>I am trying to draw cubes all day now, yet often I just get the angles wrong and I don't know why.
Looks like you simply don't know how. You wouldn't mash the keys on a piano until you "find" a song.

Drawabox: lesson 1. Read everything. Do the exercises & homework.
>>
>>2747722

You really need perspective in your life senpai.

All lines that indicate height need to go straight up in 2p perspective.

I'd approach drawing this cube by first drawing a normal cube in this perspective, then estimating the parts I want moved, and only then move them 1 by 1.

anything else will quickly end in absolute disaster (see your drawing)
>>
>>2747677
learn basic perspective. Start with 1 point perspective then 2 point perspective.
>>
>>2747727
>>2747730

>perspective

It's not necessary at this point. He just should be more observant and precise, this is a good exercise for that.
>>
Ok, did the exercise one from Keys to Drawing now. Well, it works very well for drawing my bare feet, strangely I now got the proportions quite right.

But still, I cannot draw my beloved cubes with this. I look at the cube and draw, not really looking at the paper.
I look back at the paper after a finished line and wtf, it is like 20 degrees distorted.

Could anyone please explain this to a fucking newb?
>>
>>2747783
Also I practiced clean lines and ghosting now and even more strangely got quite confident with them in under an hour. I am doing no chicken scratching anymore
>>
the gains are real
>>
OP please try again with the advice provided in this thread and post results.

Remember, draw BIG, use almost a whole A4 paper, draw generating movement from your shoulder or elbow and not from your wrist, and draw only one or two lines, do not chickenscratch.
>>
>>2747797
hnngg muh dick!
>>
File: cube3.jpg (112KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
cube3.jpg
112KB, 1280x960px
>>2747797
Here you are. It really got a little bit better, even though I only made it minimally bigger. Also this time I invested more time into it as I am not frustrated anymore
>>
>>2747828
Also, before anyone says again I should go into perspective and construction, I do get the angles wrong even in normal fucking boxes no matter what I do, now even more when I do not look at my paper. No idea how to fix that tbqh
>>
>>2747828
>>2747829
Ah, one thing I forgot. This time I only had my picture taken earlier as reference, not the object
>>
>>2747828

learn to think in 3D, use vanishing points this time and post it!! I can teach you to do this
>>
>>2748048

mattesi/10
>>
>>2747736
> It's not necessary at this point
lolwut. OP is trying to draw boxes IN PERSPECTIVE. What is it with you dumbass motherfuckers and right side of the brain?
>>
>>2747736

Having the theory behind basic perspective fixes 90% of the stupid mistakes beginners make when drawing basic shapes from observation.
>>
Check out drawabox
>>
>>2747829
>I do get the angles wrong even in normal fucking boxes no matter what I do,
>No idea how to fix that tbqh
>>2747783
>I look back at the paper after a finished line and wtf, it is like 20 degrees distorted.
>Could anyone please explain this to a fucking newb?

Everyone is telling you
>>2747724
>>2747727
>>2747730
>>2748127
Congrats on all your gains so far, tho
Also post your work in the beginner thread
>>
>>2748186
Will do a little bit more Keys to Drawing first

>>2748048
One question about that. How can I set vanishing points when there are so many different boxes with different directions in my reference object?
>>
File: flute4ab.jpg (56KB, 480x631px) Image search: [Google]
flute4ab.jpg
56KB, 480x631px
>>2748391

Start with 2 points set far apart, buu the book Perspective made Easy, it's short and cheap. when you want to set two new VPs for a box facing another direction, move both points like they're an angle.

Im on phone now but search on youtube "rotating a box in two point perspective", it's a super short video with no sound and just a box rotating.

post new results with vanishing points, I know you have learned something here!
>>
>>2748502
Well, I already know that because I have skimmed through perspective made easy quite a while ago. I am more asking about how to determine them. You see, it would be easy with a normal cube, but this time it is multipled ones that intersect with each other so I am kinda lost here. I have no idea how to set the points for every single object in my cubeset
>>
File: lamp1.jpg (74KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
lamp1.jpg
74KB, 960x1280px
Did not do the cube again yet, but am now at the beginning of Chapter 3 from Keys to Drawing (skipped Chapter 2 because fuck shading and copying 2D paintings right now, I will have time for that later, right now I have to focus on getting my lines and proportions right)

Here is what I have accomplished with your and the books advice until now, I used pencil-eye-measuring for it, built if from the ground up, did not follow the big outward shape before doing the details, instead I built each shape/element on top of each other. Had to cut off the proportions of the top glass because fuuuck.

Any suggestions/things you see I do not see? Still having a few troubles with getting the shapes of the lines perfect (see lamp cone), but it is slowly getting better.
>>
File: lamp2.jpg (128KB, 960x1280px)
lamp2.jpg
128KB, 960x1280px
>>2748652
Pic of reference object

I am slowly starting to doxx myself with this desu, but oh well, no pain no gain
>>
>>2748652
>>2748655
>>2747678

I'll do a quick sketch of this give me a few minutes op
>>
File: demo.png (831KB, 1300x1042px) Image search: [Google]
demo.png
831KB, 1300x1042px
>>2748659

Here's my take on it OP, hope you find this useful.
>>
>>2748751
Nice, thanks for that. Some proportions and angles seem off, but it is still a very good starting point
>>
File: cubes.jpg (73KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
cubes.jpg
73KB, 1280x960px
>>2748502
Currently getting into 2 point perspective.
I do not really know what I get from this, but I enjoy drawing cuboids so fucking much
>>
>>2747677
Don't hesitate to use vp's, plumb lines, etc.
>>
>>2748775
vp's, plumb lines..?
>>
Looks like too much, too fast. You're probably thinking you're retarded, but you just haven't trained your brain to understand perspective yet. Start by connecting lines to a vanishing point to practice one-point perspective. There's probably 100 youtube videos about it, or grab scott's book from the book thread.

You need to fill at LEAST a couple pages, every day. Just five or so boxes ain't gonna' cut it; I know because I started lazy with barely any progress for a month. Draw dumb animu or whatever you want to break up the monotony. You want to ENJOY drawing first and foremost.
>>
>>2748780

VPs = vanishing points, any perspective book will introduce them.

Plumb lines are basically drawing a straight line from one thing to the other to measure relative proportion, lots of people do this with a weight on a string which they hold up to their subject, but you can also just hold up your pencil.
>>
>>2748751

This is really well done and contains valuable information. Cool.
>>
>>2748516
>I have no idea how to set the points for every single object in my cubeset
Different parallel lines = different VPs. If you can copy one cube, you can move the VPs and draw another at a different angle to the first.

And use the beginner thread!
>>
File: cube4.jpg (89KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
cube4.jpg
89KB, 960x1280px
>>2748751
Getting a little bit better, I now constructed them individually.

Still not the faintest idea how I should use vanishing points in that pic. They are like 1m away from the enitire canvas.

will move to beginner thread after I finally have gotten this done >>2748502
>>
File: 1455935391374.gif (497KB, 210x224px) Image search: [Google]
1455935391374.gif
497KB, 210x224px
>>2749371

Really nice progress, keep going until you get it right, and then keep going until you can't get it wrong.
>>
Does it make sense to try and imagine that I'm tracing a line that's already on the paper but happens to be invisible? When I do that the result is still wobbly but the wobbles seem to average out and they never get to wander very far. It seems impossible to eliminate the wobbles completely though, which really tickles my inner autist.
>>
>>2750057
Ghost your lines, drawabox teaches you how to do that.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.