[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Getting into acrylics, what do you think?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_20161116_171758.jpg (1MB, 1662x2222px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161116_171758.jpg
1MB, 1662x2222px
Hey, i have been painting pretty quite a lot this last year. This is a pretty new project. How can i improve blending and lightning and stuff?

And also, do you guys like this style? Should i try to stick to more traditional landscapes? I try to make things from my imagination, but it is probably doing some harm...
>>
>>2745992
That's not a 'style' and if it was I wouldn't like it.

You aren't gonna like to hear this, but quit painting and go learn your fundamentals: start with observational drawing and color theory. then learn perspective and construction. That painting looks pretty awful, and at best your local community may give you some accolades, though your peers will unabashedly speak ill of your abilities behind your back. You'll sell very little and find yourself frustrated when you have specific ideas and you can't communicate them through your medium. After a couple years of studying traditional, classical approaches and methods, doing only studies, you will find that you can approach working from your imagination with nimble ferocity. Looking at your old works like this will feel like a soaring eagle would while observing a three legged dog stuck in deep mud.

But by all means, if you would like to remain a glorified toddler enjoying the tactility of paint without any understanding, carry on. Whenever you change your mind, we'll be here to help you find answers.
>>
On the other side of the coin...

Looks pretty, can't read anything besides the flesh spires overtaking the fourteenth century docks that they appear to be on. I like your fine detail, but color selection needs work.

As style is a matter of opinion, I quite like yours actually. Very scifi grimdark.
>>
>>2746090
>>2745992
Most egregious samefagging I've ever seen
>>
>>2746113
>>2746090
>IPs : 3
w e w
>>
>>2746055
>>2746090
Hey, thanks for the criticism. Im not overly fond of my illusions, so i have no problem with taking real advice.

Ill try to master observational drawing and slowly work myself towards painting again. Even though im a full time student i still want to be an artist at some point, and i think youre right.. Imagination is not the only thing.

So just start with the sticky?
>>
>>2746683
Cranky guy here. good on ya for taking criticism like an adult. Sticky is more concept-art based. start with the bargue course. Get some plates printed up at 11x17 (or original size if you can find a good enough resolution), then draw them sight-size method. hard, medium and soft charcoal. Be exacting, each copy should take ~20-30 hours. Just get into the habit of a couple hours a night (any less than an hour and you won't get momentum). After 2-5 of them of increasing difficulty, buy this or something similar: https://www.fineartstore.com/p-5973-plaster-cast-roman-youth-bust.aspx
and sight size that a few times. Doing this patiently and correctly will increase your confidence a shitload and get you 50% of the way "there".

this will build your "muscle" for observing proportion, which is critical for copying illustrations on construction, perspective and anatomy, even when you're not sight-sizing. now fuck with the sticky. skip loomis.

then hit up huevaluechroma, read it front page to back (make sure to understand it). then read this:
http://paintmaking.com/pigments.htm
and cross reference it with what michael harding says about his colors to get an idea of when to use what pigment. pigments are the same across oil and acrylic, so that will transfer.
>>
this is a passable instruction on sight size.
https://www.amazon.com/Cast-Drawing-Using-Sight-Size-Approach/dp/0980045401
>>
and before someone rips on sight-size; it's just a means to an end. if you can observe well, you can build a visual library which is essential to illustration from imagination. also, lots of life drawing will give you a good ability to judge perspective without constructing a grid/one/two/etc-point setup every single fucking time.

oh also, if you're at a college, figure out where/when there are sessions/classes with a nude model and go do those as much as you can. if you can consistently draw a perfect facial likeness quickly, you can draw anything.
>>
>>2746683
Paint what you want anon. Criticism is good, just make sure it's contructive. There are a lot of whiny know it all manga drawing faggot on here who will put you down if you do anything remotely outside the box or self directed, i.e. From your own principles and applications, however uniformed they may be. And there is style here, despite what the other said. Albeit, not a very focused or developed style, but a style nonetheless. Really it's a mixture of styles I see: semi-abstract/Impressionistic . BAsics are good to learn but always explore what comes naturally , even if that means being a glorified toddler with paints. The fact is you have a unique hand, so find it and exploit that. And fuck anyone that hates on what you do.
>>
>>2748281
I forgot to add: most of the cranky dipshits that pontificate towards you are just mad because they probably haven't had any genuine fun doing art in a long time, what with knowing so much and feeling so little. It looked to me like you had fun, so keep having it.
>>
I actually really like it. I'm a sucker for anything surreal though. Keep making these, see what works and what doesn't. I'd be interested in following your progress.
>>
>>2745992
There is some really interesting surrealness to the lighting of it all. I don't know your palette, but I'd say that you'd benefit from working with a very limited set of colors.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.