[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need help choosing mid tier watercolor supplies

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

I've been using store brand student paint for a couple months now and i want to upgrade a bit to something that isn't go fuck yourself expensive. Something in the 5-10 dollars a tube range. The same pretty much goes for brushes and paper as well. Hoping some of you guys have some experience in this department
>>
Eh, cotman or grumbzcher i guess. There's no middle paper, iirc pretty much goes strathmore/canson watercolor pad -> arches.

Just save up a couple hundred and buy windsor newtons. Mid-tier is a waste of money.
>>
>>2744426
I tried to make something like this but my fineliner was not waterproof... any recommendations for pens or do I just go to the pen store and ask for a waterproof pen?
>>
Dude your panting is awesome!

No advice just wanna let u know you're a better artist than most posters here
>>
>>2744426
>Something in the 5-10 dollars a tube range
That's not far off from what artist-grade 5ml tubes cost. Just buy whatever you want from good brands, W&N, Rembrandt, Schmincke, Daniel Smith.

Brushes, you can go for a synthetic or a blend at larger sizes. I use Cotman one-stroke flats and they have pretty good coverage and hold a surprising amount of water for a synthetic. At smaller sizes where sable is affordable there's no reason to go for anything else. Escoda makes some reasonably priced Kolinsky sable pocket brushes. I hear good things about Kalish but haven't tried them myself. If you want the really good stuff you can get Raphael's 8404 or 8408 brushes. At the smaller sizes they're great for inking as well, probably the best you could get.

Paper is probably going to be your biggest expense in the long run. There's no getting around that cotton papers are expensive. Or you can look around for 100% cotton from smaller brands like Bee Paper, or you might want to go for a 25% rag Fabriano. If that's still too expensive just go for a cheaper Hahnemuhle / Canson / Strathmore.
>>
I couldn't afford red watercolor for my final project in one of my classes so I'm using blood instead because it's free
Just do that, great way to save money
>>
>>2744979
Have fun with a bunch of muddy browns instead of reds. Smh don't you even know that real pros use food colouring when cash is tight.
>>
>>2744990
I mixed it with some red ink from a pen that I stole from work and cut open. But the straight blood shade works fine for the most part, the red thing I was painting was supposed to be blood and real blood worked well for the spatter (just dip a brush in it and go to town)
>>
>>2744965
i use mitsubishi uni pin and faber-castell pitt artist pen
>>
>>2744990
this, might be the paper I'm using but when I've used blood it goes straight tannish brown
>>
>>2744891
>>2744973
Op here, apprci8 the repplies. Ive been using strathmore 300 series watercolor paper and ive had no complaints. What type of board do you guys reccomend for stretching paper on? I need to get a system in place so i can practice heavy washes on the cheaper paper w/o the warping.
>>2744970 I wish that was mine lol. Thats from a book ive been reading from a lady named Cathy Johnson
>>2744965 Ive been using Daler-Rowney fw acrilyic ink and Sakura Pigma Micron pens and they are both waterproof even under heavy wash. They blend on top of wet paper really well too
>>
>>2744426
could you share more of your work my dude?
>>
>>2745099
>>2745099
Sorry mang isnt mine. This lady has a book or two as well. Her one water color pencils is pretty good.
https://www.google.com/search?q=cathy+johnson+ink+and+watercolor&client=ms-android-sprint-us&prmd=isvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiz_t2yxKvQAhUn7IMKHaYqDFsQ_AUIBygB&biw=360&bih=559
>>
>>2745095
Any wood board should work. Tbh I'd rather just buy a block that's glued on all sides than go through the hassle of stretching paper.
>>
>>2745093
On Arches cold press watercolor (140lb) it retains the red color pretty well
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.