[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mark Chong: How to become a person who can get good at drawing

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: pp,220x200-pad,220x200,ffffff.jpg (13KB, 220x200px) Image search: [Google]
pp,220x200-pad,220x200,ffffff.jpg
13KB, 220x200px
https://youtu.be/vIoTV_GnnEs

I'm really excited, fellow d/ic/kheads. Mark Chong has always been an art hero of mine, and this new vid of his really cuts to the heart of what drawing really is. I feel that this is a really good resource for all the beginners who keep asking how to draw and don't seem to be able to grasp the fundamentals.

Discuss?
>>
>>2741770
>see shitty drawn circle from the thumbnail
I'm already skeptical, but I'll watch it.
>>
>>2741770
>voice is out of sync with his mouth

a true asian man on camera
>>
>>2741770
So, I finished watching it, and one thing that bugged me throughout the whole video. Why is his OS like from the 2000s? This is a 2016 video right?

Aside from that, I already knew all the things he said so it felt like common sense, but perhaps other people don't know?

He also talks in a shaky manner that what he says can be interpreted in different ways. I've never heard of him, but he must be good if he teaches at AAU.
>>
>>2741770
thanks for this. i found this insightful for someone at my level. im one of those guys that certainly did improve but is stuck in a weird state cuz im not practicing effectively.

i really felt for his bursts of anger when he talked about how much time he wasted with poor documentation.
also, my peers always tell me i lack discipline. and this guy says discipline is earned by exercises. so ill try it
>>
>>2741770
Is this the video where he turned a circle/spiral around? Blew my mind, then again I've never tried to solve that problem
>>
>>2741838
What was the point of that exercise anyways? He didn't say, so it's like, I don't even understand what he was getting at.
>>
>>2741811
Ha, I know right? He has some sort of custom setup that he probably doesn't want to change, I think. Or it may just be that he just hasnt bothered to upgrade yet, I don't know.
As for the subject matter, well, for beginners it isn't common sense at all. To me and to you it might be, because it really is very simple and logical in concept once you've thought it through; but your average noob has either not been introduced to the concept at all or has an extremely poor grasp of it. Go to a /beg/ thread and you see questions like those he was talking about all the time. There are lots of people visiting here that just don't understand what it means to 'make it' and how to get there, so this meme of 'making it' and 'spark' is perpetuated and people are left frustrated while not knowing completely *why*... And this is in spite of the books and information that we do have, good as they are.
I think that this video is a good remedy for these issues. In a mere 25 minutes, Mark tells you (a beginner in this case) that you are a shit artist, why you are shit, and helps you to understand the path that will allow you to not be shit. It also gives insight into the mind of someone who had to mostly make it on his own, which is also quite invaluable information for the aspiring artist.
It's (relatively) short, sweet, and to the point, something that our list of books isn't

That's not to say that this video replaces all that stuff, not by a long shot, but it should put students in the proper mindset so as to understand it all much better.
>>
>>2741844
What i got from his video is that as an artist, I should actively pursue parts of draftsmanship that I'm weak at, and create exercises that specifically target that weakness.

Repeat that ad-nauseum and I will see myself become stronger and my work will have a more 'natural feel' to it.
>>
>>2741838
>>2741841
It was to help you understand the concept of the illusion of three dimensionality, moving things through an imaginary 3d space on a flat surface.

It's the same thing he went over in this video, except he's pared it down and refined it since then. He's gotten much better at communicating ideas since then.
>>
>>2741770
how do i get good at becoming a person who can get good at drawing?
>>
>>2741874
kek
>>
I like his videos. Drawabox only makes you into a box making robot. But his exercise where you draw only the outside of the box and visualize the rest really helped me see in 3d way better then Drawabox ever did
>>
And after all he still draws poorly
>>
where can i see his work?
>>
>>2742868
http://le-mec.deviantart.com/gallery/
http://le-mec.tumblr.com/
>>
Lmao here ic goes again, listening to someone whose work is trash.

He's talking about thing he himself doesnt understand, how the fuck cant you retards understand that thats not the way to study.
>>
>>2742875
every work posted on /ic/ is trash, its very forgiving and that produces even more garbage
>>
File: stay_sharp_by_le_mec-d64u9ho.png (399KB, 600x829px) Image search: [Google]
stay_sharp_by_le_mec-d64u9ho.png
399KB, 600x829px
Kind of makes me stop listening. Moreover it's very basic stuff: be concious, study, practice and
and you will get better
>>
>>2742882
holy fuck that is pure garbage
>>
File: Mark_Chong_Reading.jpg (33KB, 640x403px) Image search: [Google]
Mark_Chong_Reading.jpg
33KB, 640x403px
>>2742884

This is also one of his drawings
>>
>>2742869

I don't think that's him
>>
>>2742887
the links in the about section of his channel
>>
>>2742888
>the links are
>>
>>2742880
What?
>>
Great, another guy who gives a shitty talk how to git gud without teaching how to git gud, who's drawings and animations look like horse shit. I mean, hell even i am better than him. Also, his twitter is a fucking joke.
>>2741770
Hi mark
>>
File: You need to stop.png (276KB, 800x640px) Image search: [Google]
You need to stop.png
276KB, 800x640px
>>2741770

>Shilling this hard
>>
Didn't this fag say years ago he'd quit drawing in favor of making games because "waah drawing is too hard I wanna pull a ZUN and use art in my gaymes!"? Why did he come back and retracted on what he said?
>>
>>2743126
Because making games is hard as well.
>>
>>2742869
>this shitter wants to give people advice on how to draw
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.