[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do you force yourself into drawing you don't even like it?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 3

Why anon? Look at all those depression threads on /ic EVERY fucking day.
Why do you guys force yourself into drawimg and painting if you don't even like it. You don't enjoy process. You like to see other's progresses, other's drawings and painting, you ask others what YOU should study and draw..

Why do you keep forcing yourself? I bet at least half of you who force themself into doing something (ilkustration/animation/..) keep on doing so just because you allready a lot of hours in.

You can still stop anon and find what ACTUALLY interest you, not what you like to watch, what interests others or how you could impress people.

Everyone CAN learn technical skill of drawing, since it's just that. But even if you reach the skill set you made for your goal, when you will reach it, you still won't enjoy the drawing itself.
>>
Sometimes I do enjoy it, and sometimes I have a really awesome epiphany and impress myself with my work, sometimes it is a grind and sometimes it isn't. I want to make it my career. You think a stonemason or a construction worker or a gymnast doesn't have "those days"? I think what holds me and others back on /ic/ is that we don't have irl friends or a community pushing us so we congregate here
>>
Just to make it clear.. not all of you are forcing yourself into something you don't even enjoy, into something you are not passionate about.
To you i'm saying - and i know i don't even need to say that - just keep it on. Do what you enjoy doing
>>
>>2741232

It's not "those days" i'm talking about. There is nothing wrong with "those days", "art-blocks" or however you want to call it.

I'm talking about people who have to force themself 90% of days in year to draw.
I'm talking about people who ask "how do i stop watching youtube, anime, playing games etc. And draw insted".
I'm talking about people, whi rarely, if ever find drawing enjoying. It's just forced "pain" for them, because they don't even love to draw and deep down in themself they know that. They just hope one day, when they get skilled, they will enjoy progress itself
>>
>>2741225
I think you answered your own question - depression. Depression makes you lose interest in things you used to enjoy. That includes not being able to focus; etc.
>>
>Why do you force yourself into drawing you don't even like it?

Because the end result is worth it.
>>
>>2741253

The end result is just that - a result. One should enjoy progress, not just result
>>
>>2741256
>One should enjoy progress

What's can be enjoyable about the process of drawing?
>>
>>2741258

Sorry, i meant process
>>
>>2741249
I remember as a kid I could draw for hours uninterrupted and enjoy every second. My personality went through a major shift around 20 and have been fighting that since then. Shit sux.

Can I fix the not being able to focus part? It's tiring being so scattered and unmotivated at the same time, all the time.
>>
>>2741225
Because we don't draw for fun, we draw for money instead. Of course everyone draw sometimes for fun, but in order to make a living for example, or earn money, we need other things besides fun, we need discipline, we need constancy, work in stress, do works that maybe we don't like sometimes, do works in a defined date and not when we want it, etc, etc. But everyone here think do money in a future, maybe, if you don't, you can take whatever the time you want, years, decades, a life, for make it. But you can make it in less time than that and enjoy the experience of do a good quality work and feel satisfied.
>>
>>2741242
People are different, lots of concept artists hated learning to get to the point they're at, but they enjoy the business and creative aspect.
>>
>>2741279

you can understand that one doesn't prefer the study part. But you can't understand the same person don't even enjoy personal work
>>
File: tmi.jpg (112KB, 764x938px) Image search: [Google]
tmi.jpg
112KB, 764x938px
>>2741263
You can fix it yourself. I also felt like that for a long time, but at one point I just got sick of it. I thought about how much time I've wasted feeling sorry for myself and decided to move on.
Sometimes it's as easy as flipping a switch in your brain.
>>
>>2741225
Most of /ic/ or 4chan for that matter has some kind of mental health problem, mostly depression. That + people in general just lack ambition and discipline to keep doing something that isn't playing vidya.
>>
>>2741317
this is the precise reason that NEETs (on paper) should be on the track to have unbelievable art gains in just a year since they have no obligations (but this isn't the reality)
>>
>>2741287
>tfw no artwork you could ever create could make you feel more than this meme
>>
>>2741225
Art is like the one thing in my life I do enjoy, and that includes life drawing. Don't have to force myself to do it, if anything I wish I had more time to invest.

It's an awkward question involving a quagmire of armchair psychology and denial, but my own theory is that most of /ic/ is just frustrated with their progress, like they're more interested in the end result than the process.

Just need a bit of an attitude adjustment and you're right to go.
>>
>>2741225
Because im in too deep now op. But that doesnt mean it hurts any leas when i pick up the goddamn pen and what comes out of it is little better than the apastic shaky scribbles of a seizure ridden cut. Haha
>>
>>2741225
>>2741263
For me it was vice versa.
I got into existential crisis and depression (and i'm 21), and for some reason felt the urge to draw/paint, and it's pretty much the only thing that fascinates me anymore.
...and I draw full blown abstract degenerate art.
Sometimes when I look at my finished work, I can feel my brain flip as if it came from somewhere so deep of that I can't even consciously tell what the fuck I just did, despite every element being purposeful. It's pretty interesting and I've quickly come to realize what it's all about.
>>
>>2741225
Because some people cannot bring themselves to draw things they want to draw before they can make them not look like shit.

Add to that that /ic/ in general has expectations that are way too high and consider everything lower than 90% mastery to be shit, and you have to be retarded not to understand why people are disappointed with their work.

Some people are also more critical of themselves than others. I have 0 opinions on the piece in the OP, but if I drew that, I'd think it was shit.
>>
Because I'm an attention whore who has no social life and attempts to art & get praise from random strangers instead.
>>
You get a filter of pissed off people complaining on this board. It's basically observation bias, you think most of /ic/ hates drawing because you mostly hear people bitch when they're unhappy or frustrated, when they're having fun they're - you know - drawing.

It's like a paramedic thinking bicycles are more dangerous than they are because whenever they see a guy who's ridden a bike they have to scrape him off the pavement. He isn't paying attention to the other bicyclists who don't need a paramedic.
>>
>>2741225
>You can still stop anon and find what ACTUALLY interest you
Ok. Any suggestions how to go about this?
>>
>>2742285
>tell me what my own interests are
>>
>>2742292
Nobody fell out of their mother's vagina holding a list.
>>
>>2742324
No but by the time you're 10 you should have figured something out
>>
>>2741285
Well, something I've found is that while I love using the skills I've gathered to create something that I like, I'm as happy as can be during the entire process.

The problem is that there are so many things that I do not have to skills to draw, and gaining the skills is just fucking boring for me. Once I have them I love it so much that it's always worth the effort, but god damn there are some aspects of the learning process that make me want to die.

I feel like a lot of people have that as well.
>>
i dont force myself.

when inspiration hits me i feel an irresistible force pushing me- all my thoughts are clear and fast, im elated and hungry. touching that paintbrush to canvas is almost carnal. the work channels out of me, i work. its a state of fervor.
>>
I don't force myself.

I don't draw.
>>
>>2741225
Nothing is fun when you suck at it.
It's like a couch potato learning to run. It hurts, and no matter how hard he pushes himself, he still can't run as fast and far as he wants, or even the people that pass him on his route.
But he knows that if he lets the pain stop him from running and quits, he'll never ever run a marathon like he's always dreamed of, and that thought hurts way more than his feet ever could.
>>
>>2742285
Try a bunch of shit, literally everything, and stick what interests you the most.
>>
>>2741225
Since I can remember it's what I wanted to do when I grew up. I would spend hours drawing as a kid and I fucking loved it, I didn't even think about things being good or bad so I didn't give a shit. I still have that desire but I've lost all motivation and passion to do anything. Practicing is heart breaking because I'm awful but if I don't do it I remain awful so I procrastinate and the cycle goes on and on
>>
I like it. I just dont like how shitty my drawings are. But I am gonna make it one day, and then I will love it
>>
>>2741225
more challenging -> more rewarding
i don't even like writing
i'd never be able to make the kind of music i like, it's too intuitive
filmmaking isn't challenging enough to be interesting to me, editing is a one-trick shtick, and directing seems like a pain in the ass (i've worked on set before, no thank you)
>>
>>2741225
Becaue more than the act of drawing I like creating something good and good looking. At my current level it's just:
1) try to draw something I like failing miserably
2) stydying to get good without guarantees that it will work and even if it does who know how many years it will take

so in the end it's just effort without prize
>>
File: Untitled.png (17KB, 1228x860px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
17KB, 1228x860px
>>2741225

This thread made me diamonds. So I made diamonds for this thread.
>>
>>2741225
nah m8, painting is actually one of the things that I love, I love just sitting, having some music in the background and painting or drawing, the problem is just that my skills are still pretty bad, but I'm working on it. It is depressing when I realise that I'm working on drawing or painting for a long time, reading books, practising, and in the end my drawings are still not good, but sometimes it just clicks, and I do something nice, and then I feel great.
I need a creative hobby, something that I could spend whole my life working on, something that will be really important for me. I tried with music, but I'm not really a musical person, I tried with writing (both poetry and prose) but I realised that what I always wanted to do was to paint. I always thought that it might be interesting and fun, and I always liked to walk or cycle and just look at everything, but I thought that you need "talent" for painting, but I thought that I can try it, then I found /ic/ read a bit, and realised that everyone can get to a decent level, just by working hard, so I started my journey towards it. I'm still a beginner, but now at least I have something to live for. And that's the problem, while drawing and painting is fun for me, I'm not satisfied with my drawings or paintings, because they are still pretty bad, but one day I'll make something much better, and then I'll be really happy.
>>
>>2741225

Those are mainly the people who started to draw in hope to become better and then they think they will enjoy it. But sad truth is they will never enjoy it.

And if you look at threads that are made about that topic, people start to realize that. They put in a year or even more years of hard work, strugle, but still can't find any satisfaction in process itself.

It's mostly true what they say about learning to draw. Anybody can learn, since it's just a skill. But to keep doing thst for the rest of your lfe, you have to be passionate about
>>
Well, I do love drawing very much, I'm very passionate about it, but I'm trying to move from a hobby level to more of a professional level, which requires me to draw more than I enjoy, but that is how it is with anything when you do it ever, doing gesture exercises isn't that fun, but it is a good way to get better at the parts that I do really love.
I believe when you go from just doing something as a hobby to a chore, it will get a bit booring at times, but it's not like I'm drawing and finding it boring in general, just the few times when I'm worn out from doing it every day
>>
Am I one of the few people who goes through:

> absolutely hate how bad I am at the moment
> judge myself constantly for the first twenty minutes
> sometimes stop altogether during those twenty minutes and procrastinate for whole days
> sometimes actually sit down and break through the twenty minute self-hate barrier
> one hour in, I literally can't stop, the process is so completely captivating and genuinely enjoyable
> stop after 4-5 hours when hunger or other obligations kick in, either repulsed or kind of pleasantly surprised at what I just made

I love doing this. I hate trying to start, though.
>>
>>2741610
dude abstract don't count

everybody like doing abstract or doodling or coming up with new concepts/mixing things

OP is talking about illustration which is a whole new world of frustration
>>
>>2744298
can't you make yourself like the process tho? I really want to produce the quality stuff I see but god damn I hate the actual process itself and the frustration it causes.
>>
I wanted to make comics for myself since I was a kid.

But now I am 33 and am a shit terrible artist and my life has essentially been wasted.

So if I don't force myself to draw or just wait for inspiration, nothing will happen and I will become an even greater waste.

It's difficult to get behind a desk and just make absolute shit work for like 10 hours a day trying to grasp some kind of advancement of skill to make life seem worth it, but unless I do it and hopefully make strides then I've got nothing.

It's better to be miserable working towards a goal than be laying around literally wasting time until you die.

Even if the failures you keep making are pretty upsetting and don't offer you any sort of momentary hope or happiness. You either put the work in towards a goal or move on.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.