[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need to add interesting pieces to my portfolio, but I cant

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

File: unnamed.jpg (8KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
8KB, 240x320px
I need to add interesting pieces to my portfolio, but I cant think of anything right now. help me think of interesting concepts or idea pleasee
>>
help me get into college
>>
>>2739843
your mom getting gangbanged lol
>>
>>2739860
lol nice...
>>
>>2739845
>help me get into college
If you want to get into college don't copy photos like that. Draw some still lifes and attend some life drawing classes with a model.
>>
>>2739843

This is not college-tier
>>
>>2739893
what do i need to improve on?
>>
>>2739845
i went to art school i can help you. lets see some of your work sonny
>>
>>2739900
dont listen to that guy this drawing is fine. it displays alot of technical skill.

the only problem is that its from a photo.

do self portraits in a mirror. youre going to be doing those in college.

do still lifes....and use charcoal.

make work at the minimum size of 18''x24''

what are you planning on concentrating in?
>>
>>2742209
also, include some sort of painting in your portfolio, you need to show you have explored various mediums ect
>>
>>2742209
>the only problem is that its from a photo.

this is the biggest thing. no one gives a fuck that you can "trace without actually tracing", it is not an applicable skill.
>>
>>2739843

>college portfolio

Don't do photograph copies. It's good to show variety of mediums, so it's good besides pencil drawings make graphite ones, pastels, watercolors and even 1 digital piece (not more).

It's good to show examples of each: landscape, figure drawing (but not fucking photograph copy!), something that shows up perspective and geometry like pic related.

Still lives (full still lives) should also be more or less mandatory. Doing some vehicle drafting a la Robertson or Peter Han (tank) should also be good. Also I guess some organic things like ants.
>>
>>2742383
a master copy would be a good idea too probably.

honestly if you take all the advice in this thread you will have a bomb portfolio
>>
also if you really want to kill it try to find a local college with continuing ed courses and draw from life - nude models
>>
>>2742209
Thanks im in the process of doing a self portrait. And i want to major in film, animation/ new media.
>>
File: IMG_20160313_193335.jpg (116KB, 720x731px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160313_193335.jpg
116KB, 720x731px
>>2742204
Thanks! Ill post some more pics
>>
File: IMG_20160302_004554.jpg (276KB, 1512x1512px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160302_004554.jpg
276KB, 1512x1512px
>>
>>2742390
Yeah, a bomb portfolio for an imaginary art school where you are somehow taught everything from fine art to conceptual art to digital art to industrial design without any specialization or purpose.

You have to know what you apply for and specialize for that. Going to some art school that teaches all this artsy fartsy multiple medium sunday painter shit is just a waste of money anyway because you won't learn anything of value for a career in art.
>>
So I have a question for anyone who knows the industry. If you're tossing our portfolio around/looking to get hired as say a character designer, or illustrator, do they care about your tons of "accurate to life" still life drawings, or the fact you've used non digital or digital as your main basis? Or would it be better to have a portfolio with a few of these studies tossed in but the overwhelming amount being based in character design/illustration?

Sorry I know nothing of the art industry, or how to even get started if you didn't go to art school to get connections.
>>
>>2743212
>So I have a question for anyone who knows the industry. If you're tossing our portfolio around/looking to get hired as say a character designer, or illustrator, do they care about your tons of "accurate to life" still life drawings, or the fact you've used non digital or digital as your main basis? Or would it be better to have a portfolio with a few of these studies tossed in but the overwhelming amount being based in character design/illustration?
>>
>>2743227
Shit accidentally sent it without typing my response kek.

The advice of including life drawings and things apply ONLY to a portfolio used to get into an art school.

A professional portfolio for getting jobs should have none of this in it, and should only include relevant pieces to what you are applying for.
>>
>>2743230

Alright. Thanks for the info. Are there any good sites for viewing some successful professional portfolios (of varying skill levels)? Artstation is nice to go through as artist can put up their employment etc so you get an idea but I kind of wanted to see what a professional character designers portfolio may look like, or say someone who's freshly starting their first job in such a thing.
>>
>>2743250
Literally any website that an artist has will be their portfolio. They often even have a page on their site specifically labelled "portfolio" and then may have other sections for things like their blog or personal works.

If you want to see more entry level stuff then maybe try researching to see if you can get the names of recent graduates from illustration or entertainment design courses at universities/colleges. Most will have their own website and portfolio up, though they may not always be the best examples to follow since they are new to it and don't really know what they are doing.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.