[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

KILL. ME.

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

File: 14715524094150.jpg (39KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
14715524094150.jpg
39KB, 500x500px
I have switched books and courses atleast 8 times by now, reading all these shitty advices on /ic/
>Scott Robertson is too advanced for you
>Drawabox guy's work is shit
>Sticky unironically recommends sycra
>Loomis is a fucking meme
>Everything else is too vague for me or too advanced
And i still suck ass. Tried to draw blindly, without any clear point in my mind that is, but i don't get any better that way. From where the fuck do i get started and how do i advance??
>>
>>2736415
>taking the sticky literally
Most of the better artists here all went to some kind of art school where their instructors have never head of loomis.

That should tell you something
>>
>>2736415
not gonna make it
>>
File: 1477323533591.jpg (52KB, 816x812px) Image search: [Google]
1477323533591.jpg
52KB, 816x812px
>>2736415
Hey mate. I'm in a super good mood today, so I'll let you in on a little secret.
It just takes time. You'll get frustrated at yourself a lot, it'll seem like nothing is sticking.
It is, it just takes a long time for your brain to put this stuff together. I can't tell you how many times I've felt like it just isn't in me, so close to just quitting, and every time I've gotten better.
I'd recommend you watch ctrl+paint on youtube, and if you can get your hands on his whole video series.
Then get a subscription to newmastersacademy, its super cheap and the knowledge you get is amazing.
And then come join Last Artist Standing to get your daily drawing routine going and get better alongside other like minded cucks.
>>
>>2736415
Do drawabox, stop when you get to figures
Practice the fundamentals by drawing still lives using construction

When you have basic shapes and perspective down, do Proko for intro to figure drawing and head construction
Then Vilppu drawing manual for figures and gesture

Also Sycra is fine and has a lot of good insights even if you hate his style

Don't bother with Robertson unless you primarily want to draw vehicles and buildings
>>
>>2736415
post your art
>>
I recommend draw object with properly (car or some shit) draw box at perspective and carving
Draw whatever you like

That's the practice when i was absolutely piece of shit
if you do able to do this try out some body parts hands or some shit
>>
>>2736415
famous artist course then branch out to more advance resources.
>>
>>2736442
Also I forgot to mention. Drawabox is trash. Look at the guys art.
No matter what the cuckerinos here tell you, never take advice from someone whose art sucks dick. If they understood their advice that well, their art wouldnt suck.
>>
>>2736415

Ok, work with me OP, answer some questions:

1. What's your goal?
2. What medium?
3. What would you like to draw in the immediate future?

>From where the fuck do i get started and how do i advance??

If you don't know, always keep it simplest as possible.

Don't know what to draw? Draw what you see on your table. And in your room. Draw "from life". Things glass, simple shapes etc.

There is 1 book that most of /ic/ would agree is perfect for beginners and isn't a vague shit, but jumps you straight into doing stuff:

"Keys to Drawing" by Dodson. There are exercises there, do 2 each day and try completing whole book. And really try to get involved and do them the best you can.

Also THINK FOR YOURSELF. If you know too little and are too retarded to understand what is behind terms like perspective or forms, mend this.

Before all though - every artist needs to know how to copy. Why? Because at the beginning your lines and sense of proportion is shit. You need to understand how to translate distances on the piece of paper. Copying some drawing is good in a sense that you develop that. Also drawing "from life" or "still lives" - you start seeing lines and precisely start copying them on paper.

So do this. Summing up:

1. Get pen (and pencil later), get simple shapes: phones, table lamps, clocks, glasses, flowers, shoes on your table and try drawing them.

2. Get "Keys to Drawing" by Dodson and read it whole WHILE doing all exercises.

3. All of it will take you about a month. After that you can get a mirror and try drawing your face. If you fail, you will make research: what is Reilly head construction, how to trace forms and planes of a face on the printed photos (that's how you learn) etc.

You will probably be better than 90% of people in /beg/inner thread after that.
>>
File: bestwork.png (1MB, 1241x630px) Image search: [Google]
bestwork.png
1MB, 1241x630px
>>2736415
basic approach:

>spend a few hours drawing a picture
>figure out what looks bad about it and why
>spend a few hours practicing the bad stuff in isolation
>repeat

that's pretty much all there is to it. there's no linear progression in art, the skills are all interconnected and interdependent like a massive web.

people will point you to a million different books, videos, websites, etc. and you'll get all sorts of conflicting advice. as a beginner you should aim to seek out and absorb as much information as possible from a wide variety of sources.

"too advanced" is bullshit. you will learn something from everything you read and everything you try. perhaps you won't be able to completely apply scott robertson or james gurney just yet, but reading them will still give you valuable insight into the fundamentals you need to work on to make progress.

remember that there is no perfect path. your work will look like shit. you will make mistakes. you will develop bad habits that you later have to break. it's unavoidable. so rather than looking for the perfect way to learn, accept that your journey will be imperfect and capitalize on that.

maximize your information intake. maximize your thoughtful practice. over time you will make progress.
>>
Try focusing on one thing and break it down to smaller problems

Everyone goes trought moments like this op, you just to endure it
>>
get off the internet for a jaunt, OP. go stretch your legs in the country and take only your bare sketch pad and writer.
>>
>>2736415
>Scott Robertson is too advanced
What does this even mean? "How to draw" doesn't presume any previous knowledge. It just sounds like you're rushing.

>Drawabox guy's work is shit
If Robertson is too dense for your reading comprehension, then drawabox should be perfect; it breaks everything down much more simply.

If literally EVERYTHING is too vague or too advanced, maybe it's not the material that's the problem.
>>
>>2736464
good post
>>
>>2736464
Not OP, but I'm facing the same problem as him. All these resources are pretty overwhelming.

1. I just want to be good at drawing with a pencil. I might get into digital after that.

2. Traditional for now

3. Mostly people, fantasy stuff, animals, all that stuff. Not interested in cars or buildings etc

I've gone through Norling's book, and I'm currenly doing Fun with a Pencil. I've also done lessons 1 and 2 on Drawabox (not going to do the rest of lessons because it's apparently not a good resource, but lesson 1 did help me get started) and watched all the Ctrl+Paint unplugged videos.

I will check out "Keys to Drawing", that seems like the perfect book for me.

Should I use Loomis' book for figure drawing? There seem to be a lot of books on that subject, I could go through multiple if that would be the best option.

Thank you for your help
>>
>>2738480
Put aside drawing books for a while. Pick up and read Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace. That will teach you about practice and improving more than 2000 loomis. Return to drawing and you will know what to do.
>>
>>2736415
draw every day. all these fags are telling you 'do this course, do that course, use this book, use that book' etc. those are good a bit later on once you've picked up basic observation and hand eye coordination skills in the first place. like what this guy is saying
>>2736464

the order of cognitive complexity in visualisation goes like this:
1) tracing - you learn hand eye coordination. everyone starts with tracing and they don't even know it - it's called learning to write. your preschool teachers had you at 6 learning basic hand eye coordination. not to be confused with symbolic drawing.
2.A) copying a line drawing - learning to comprehend distances and proportions between simple mark making and translating 2D information onto another 2D surface
2.B) copying a photograph - same thing, but with values, which means you're communicating previously 3D information on a 2D form onto another 2D form
3) drawing from life - translating 3D information onto a 2D surface yourself. this is harder and involves more creativity and overall is an excellent brain exercise

and then beyond that are doing exercises such as:
1) tracing something and then trying to draw it from your mind a few minutes later without it being there to guide you
2) copying something and then drawing it or a variation of it later.
3) referencing something from life but not attempting to copy it exactly
4) drawing from your mind.

and then after that I would recommend attempting those constructionist 'how to' books. the cognitive stuff i'm mentioning most people do without even realising and many perceivably 'talented' artists did in their primary and high school years when they were drawing because they enjoyed it. oh yeah - enjoy it. if you don't, there's no point.
>>
>>2738480
>Should I use Loomis' book for figure drawing? There seem to be a lot of books on that subject, I could go through multiple if that would be the best option.
draw a lot of people from life and then go back to loomis or other drawing books. so when you're at a cafe or on the bus or whatever, just draw some people as quickly as possible without worrying about details, blobs will do.
>>
Anon, why don't you stop switching based on what some anonymous nobody tells you and review each recommended book to determine for yourself if it has any value to you.

Understand what the fuck your goal is and then read books related to that goal.
>>
>>2738513
^
>>
>>2736415
>Scott Robertson is too advanced for you
Are you retarded? If you can not understand basic perspective you are never going to get good.
>>
>>2736415
what do you want to do with your art? There are a lot of different ways to get good. Picking something to learn from is a big choice don't EVER just do something because some else told you to. figure out what you want your art to be and try to make it that. when you run into problems then try to solve those specific problems. repeat.
>>
>>2736415
Try sheldon borenstein he is on new masters academy but also has a youtube channel that has a monthly subscription(but has a 2 week free trial) his shit is really well made and his speciality is to teach beginners plus he is easy to follow
>>
File: 71ff28de5fab6425158d47a5e07fb3fd.jpg (371KB, 1468x934px) Image search: [Google]
71ff28de5fab6425158d47a5e07fb3fd.jpg
371KB, 1468x934px
Not OP but I want to learn how to digitally sculpt/model people from imagination. For now just for still images without animation.

The problem is that I have 0 skills and the task is so difficult that I have no idea how to start. I am totally overwhelmed.

I guess I need to learn anatomy but I can't even manage to simplify something into simple geometric objects.

Do I need to learn how to draw from life even though that's not my goal? Do I also need to learn perspective even though I won't be drawing environments?

Most here seem to want to do concept art which includes a wider range of things you need to be able to draw or anime which is not as detailed as a realistic sculpture so I am not sure how much the advice here applies to me which is why I am asking.

Anyone who had the same goal and reached it mind sharing his path?
>>
>>2741168
You'll need to understand the forms of the head as well as the anatomy of it--what does the skull look like? What are the proportions? What muscles are there? How does skin and fat drape over this? What are the planes of the nose? Where do the muscles of the neck attach?

I also think you should probably abandon the idea of sculpting entirely from imagination. Using references is a part of the process and is very important. You don't need to have exact reference that you just copy, but you can have references that show specific details you may want that you can't make up well. For example the sculpt you posted isn't a real person, but the artist certainly looked at photos of old people while working on it to get an idea of how the wrinkles in different areas tend to arrange themselves.

Learning this is probably easiest through drawing. Get some books that focus on structure, like maybe Michael Hampton's book, and start copying out the images.

I don't know much about 3D programs, but you can learn the technical aspects of that through tutorial videos and experimentation.

Probably ZBrush is best for what you want. You can get Sculptris for free just to try your hand at it.
>>
>>2741193
>Learning this is probably easiest through drawing.

Well but how do I start? As I said I have 0 skills right now.

>Do I need to learn how to draw from life even though that's not my goal? Do I also need to learn perspective even though I won't be drawing environments?
>>
>>2741211
>Well but how do I start? As I said I have 0 skills right now.
If you are at truly 0 then probably get a pdf of Keys to Drawing or Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain and then use it until you have learned how to observe 2d shapes accurately. After that get some books on anatomy and construction like Hampton, Vilppu and Bridgman. Copy them out and learn the bones and muscles.

>Do I need to learn how to draw from life even though that's not my goal?
It's one of the best ways to learn form, so it's a good idea yes.

>Do I also need to learn perspective even though I won't be drawing environments?
You might want to learn the basics of it because it still applies to the figure and will help with constructing things and making sure things are aligned correctly, but you don't need to know very much of it to be honest.
>>
>>2741211
Just draw you retard, If you dont even have the motivation or creativity to just throw yourself into the art you're never gonna make it. If it's a self esteem issue, get over it, everyone starts somewhere, crappy art becomes good art with practice.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.