[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Favorite Compositions

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 9

File: Da Vinci - Annunciation.jpg (231KB, 1280x585px) Image search: [Google]
Da Vinci - Annunciation.jpg
231KB, 1280x585px
Post your favorite compositions in paintings and drawings, maybe explain why.

The Annunciation was a combination of Da Vinci's work (the angel and parts of the background) and his master Verrocchio's work. Verrocchio painted in heavy strokes with lead based paint; Da Vinci painted with lighter strokes using paint that did not contain lead. Consequentially, when the painting is x-rayed Da Vinci's angel disappears. The coincidence of the building edge and tree nicely points to the hand of Mary and the altar. The background is constructed with amazing subtle complexity (look at the trees, ship, and town). We get a view of the exterior and interior environments, the sky, water, and many different material types. The tension of the gaze meets in the middle of the page and encourages the viewer to explore the background. The 3 purple flowers on the tail of the angel's robe also contribute a subtle balance, but I could go on forever.

Pic related
>>
File: haveigoneinsane.jpg (321KB, 1280x585px) Image search: [Google]
haveigoneinsane.jpg
321KB, 1280x585px
>>2736094
Interesting choice
>>
File: Durër Melancolia.jpg (305KB, 805x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Durër Melancolia.jpg
305KB, 805x1024px
Durër FTW
>>
>>2736157
>If the grid doesn't fit, just crop a couple inches from the painting
>>
File: mybad.jpg (325KB, 1280x585px) Image search: [Google]
mybad.jpg
325KB, 1280x585px
>>2736312
Oh yeah I fucked that up. I thought the pattern of the trees on the left would be exactly on the gird but the diagonals of the smaller rectangles weren't intersecting at 90 degrees with the diagonal of the whole thing so that was wrong.

This one should be correct and more things are lining up.
>>
>>2736366
>>2736157
What is the point of this?
>>
>>2736297
I always like how simple and effective light guiding can be.
>>
>>2736369
To find out how the composition was made; It's called dynamic symmetry. Because despite what 90% of the people here will say, great artists of the past didn't just eyeball their compositions, they planned them out with simple geometry.
>>
>>2736094
>Verrocchio painted in heavy strokes with lead based paint; Da Vinci painted with lighter strokes using paint that did not contain lead. Consequentially, when the painting is x-rayed Da Vinci's angel disappears.

I doubt this is completely true. I've seen the video where it claims to be the case, and if I remember correctly, it shows even the surface over which the angel was painted in detail. This is not congruent with practice of the time. There is no indication that it's painted over an otherwise completed painting. I have seen examples where the under-layer shows through corrections. Especially if the paint was painted thinly, the under-layer should show. It's much more likely that the angel was designed in its place as it is now, and the designed filled in with color.

Lead is present in lead white and lead-tin yellow. If not these, what did Leonardo use for white? For the sake of argument let's say that he used yellow ochre. Red lead doesn't seem to be present. I suppose the explanation could be that the angel painted in egg tempera, with glazes in oil. Even lead white is used in egg tempera, however. Or perhaps lime white was used, either in oil or tempera. Doubtful.
>>
>>2736157
>>2736366
Dude, you're looking for something that isn't there. Your grid doesn't align with any of the elements in the painting, the only reason why it looks semi-legit is because it's symmetrical by the same axis.

This style only covers symmetry, rhythm and contrast. Geometric grids weren't introduced into composition until later in renaissance.
>>
>>2736411
http://www.leonardodavinci.net/the-annunciation.jsp
>>
File: test.jpg (797KB, 1280x585px) Image search: [Google]
test.jpg
797KB, 1280x585px
>>2736094
>>2736157
>>2736366
random line coincidence test
>>
>>2736458
Thank you.

I do not agree with these grid theories.

Can we please post compositions and stop derailing with this?
>>
File: peace-and-war.jpg (147KB, 1350x809px) Image search: [Google]
peace-and-war.jpg
147KB, 1350x809px
Rubens
>>
>>2736444
I'm aware of that page. It still doesn't clarify anything technical. It doesn't say what white he used if not lead white, and is also somewhat misleading or ambiguous in saying that Verrocchio used "lead based paint." It suggests lead is in the kind of paint he used (as one would say "oil based paint") and not that among the pigment-paints, he used lead white and lead-tin yellow as is common.
>>
File: tumblr_o9abt6CqrI1rxu7iuo1_1280.jpg (73KB, 944x479px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o9abt6CqrI1rxu7iuo1_1280.jpg
73KB, 944x479px
>>
vortex
>>
File: Raffaello+-+Dream+of+Scipio.jpg (184KB, 1004x1002px) Image search: [Google]
Raffaello+-+Dream+of+Scipio.jpg
184KB, 1004x1002px
Simple and effective.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.