[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't know what to draw.

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: 777.jpg (165KB, 613x882px) Image search: [Google]
777.jpg
165KB, 613x882px
I don't know what to draw.

Let me make this clear. I'm aiming to become a character designer/concept artist preferably in the entertainment design field. I have no clue what to draw right now in order to build up to that. When I say that, I don't mean value studies and anatomy, or technical stuff I can learn on a dime. I mean I have no whim or drive for creating things my way. Does anyone understand? I feel like I can draw to an extent, but I feel directionless when drawing anything originally. I usually draw when people give me a theme or topic. I can think of ideas then, like the composition, values, and where to place what and how. However, I want to build up my own structure and know what to draw at any extent. Characters, for example, is a big blank for me.

Tl;dr, I don't have any inspiration or direction in creating characters and concepts. This is due to my childhood retardation and my negligence to read books or watch films. Is there any place to know how to go about my own way?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsFJeFru1pM
>>
>>2735616
Thanks, I'll give this a try.
>>
>>2735615
Has this exact thread happened before? Straight down to the picture.

Go through blogs for random material and save up reference folders. Military, fashion (high, street, nil), tourism, animal kingdom, space, geological, archaeological, religious, whatever. Draw from reference. You'll find stuff you really like sooner or later.

I never knew I'd like coconut crabs and bishop outfits so much until I spent a day drawing them. That kinda stuff, increase your visual library like crazy and you'll never want for ideas.

Relax, trust me when I say very few people on this board have life experience. Me included. You'll make it - we live in the age of information, everyone has done the legwork for you these days.
>>
>>2735632
>Has this exact thread happened before? Straight down to the picture.
Nope. Pretty much my third or fourth thread opened here.

Funnily enough, I actually do have shit tonnes of folders filled to the brim with images. I just usually never look at them. Guess I'll try making a better habit of looking through them and drawing whatevers in them.
>>
>>2735637
Folders are a bit of a mess. I'd spend an hour or two just sorting through them and getting more subject matter genres in.

Really, you want quite a bit of everything, with a shitload of the subjects that you're really interested in. Until you find a few that click, just settle for gathering ref folders of every aspect of life that you can think of.

There's a blog for it, there always is. And you're just using them for ref, not study, so it's not like quality matters all that much.
>>
Dump pls
>>
>>2735615

hey OP,why don't yoy try alchemy? it's free
and it's a really good program for concept artits,give it a shot
http://al.chemy.org/
>>
>>2735615
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JnssoinaUI
>>
>>2735615
I feel you so much, brother. Luckily I'm not very skilled, so exploring the fundies and combining them gives me a lot of drive and motivation itself.

Don't force it, if you're uninspired, grind line quality, value studies etc.
To gather inspiration, Pinterest is a good place - find just one good design drawing/painting and it will lead you to countless others.
Another source are art books, they summarize the best of the best when it comes to entertainment design.
Studying nature, animal anatomy, plants and different life forms, understanding how they work and realizing that you can combine them any way you want to create something new, alien looking that's still believable and based on reality is a good method.

>Dark Souls 2 artbook:
https://vk.
com/doc4043932_295936206?hash=b6885b34660410ee85&dl=fe068dcc2d4b77e91a
>Character design art book:
https://vk.
com/doc4043932_324566244?hash=a56412bdab865c0674&dl=3cad4becaa38c9ce5a

By the way, if the OP pic is yours, well fucking done. Gorgerous shape design, well readable silhouettes. Something that wouldn't disappoint me in an art book from some major studio.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.