[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Honestly speaking, what percentage of people who come to this

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

File: comfy.jpg (39KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
comfy.jpg
39KB, 500x750px
Honestly speaking, what percentage of people who come to this board, read the sticky and consistently practice actually "make it"?

Does it also depend on their chosen field/practice?
>>
>>2734887
>Honestly speaking, what percentage of people who come to this board, read the sticky and consistently practice actually "make it"?
Probably less than 1%, though it's hard to estimate exactly, and maybe a greater percentage will make it if you give them another 5 or 10 years, but they're not there yet.

As far as I know the only pros who come here already were pros beforehand, so didn't learn from the sticky.

>Does it also depend on their chosen field/practice?
It would depend on how much time they have available to practice and whether they are interested in art as a hobby or as a career.
>>
most people here have already made it. it's a lot of fun for pros to be little others who know less.
>>
im not one of them even though ive been here for a year
>>
>>2734891
>he thinks you can make it in a mere year
>laughinggirls.jpg
>>
If we have 100 artists posting on this board, two of them would be on a professional level.

If my memory serves right we had a couple of people turning pro while posting here and then they stopped because /ic/ is filled with bitter people, who enjoy practicing tall poppy syndrome.
Those would be Jason Ibarra, Olly Lawson, Thorsten Denk, Tim Lochner, Peter Mohrbacher, Parsakoira and possibly catbib.
>>
>>2734889

Well, I was mostly referring to how the demand and level of competition for various fields affect the possibility of success.

Such as, does the person who wants to work in ceramics have a better shot than an animator? What about an independent web artist who runs a webcomic? Or an industry concept artist?
>>
>>2734898
two.are you kidding me? more like 20. you can be pro and be a hobbyist too, don't forget that, the only difference from hobbyist is, they only draw what they like.
>>
Just reference the cancerous discords, las, and draw thread

You are looking at ~90-100 artists all of which roughly 20 people are at a competent level. Anyone with a brain should avoid this place at all costs while you're young.
>>
>>2734903
You seriously believe 20% of /ic/ are pros? You're kidding yourself.

>don't forget that, the only difference from hobbyist is, they only draw what they like.

The only difference is that they're good enough to make a living off of their art within the entertainment industry.
>>
>>2734890
>most people here have already made it.
this.
>>
>>2734907
most of their success to make a living, which they actually don't, they usually have a second income, is luck. pure luck. it's all who you know. if you know the right people, you get in.
>>
>>2734900
Obviously it will vary a fair bit, yes. Right now concept art and fantasy illustration are very popular and the market is oversaturated with talent, so your chances of making it are slim. If you develop your own ceramics studio and make local connections you can probably do okay. Something like animation depends on what path you take and what type of animation you do, since a school will probably be the best route, and some things like 2d animation are largely dead in the west.

>>2734906
>You are looking at ~90-100 artists all of which roughly 20 people are at a competent level. Anyone with a brain should avoid this place at all costs while you're young.
You do realize that 20% is a fantastic number, though I think you overestimated the number of competent people. Hell, the majority of people who graduate from art school still don't end up "making it", never mind when you add into the stats various hobbyists and teens and things like you have on /ic/.
>>
>>2734914

>You do realize that 20% is a fantastic number

Well in actuality the people I'm counting are either from other boards (crossboarders), oldfags who don't come here anymore, or people /ic/ chased away. If we remove said people from the percentage the number is quite low.
>>
>>2734910
Again, you're kidding yourself. Having contacts can land you better gigs, but without skill you won't be considered either way.
>>
>>2734887

I browse this board since a half-a-year or maybe a year pretty much daily. I recently comment here more often.

I never have drawn. I read whole sticky. I read new sticky. I read Gurney, seen Robertson and have fuckton of other books. I read huevaluechroma, watched Proko, Watts, drawmixpaint, sinix etc.

The only thing I have drawn were ellipses and lines and I have drawn with brushpen pic related outline of water jug, no values or anything.

...I'm going to start a job soon, I want to dedicate myself to drawing after that, also go to drawing/painting lessons.

I'm 27 btw and have master's in mechanical engineering.

And I know I am terrible speaking about the art without really practicing it, but it's a hobby that grew on me, I also like seeing perspective errors etc. and watching other people redline/give painting/drawing advise. It's like a mental exercise or a puzzle.
>>
File: glass jug.jpg (699KB, 2132x2672px) Image search: [Google]
glass jug.jpg
699KB, 2132x2672px
>>2734948

Oh and I can write long-ass posts like I was drawing animu butts daily since being 13-year-old.
>>
File: 1478109916400.png (219KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
1478109916400.png
219KB, 500x333px
>/ic/
>professionals
I'm professional in pretending being professional.
>>
It's probably around 15 % for the entertainment industry. There's a small handful. and most of them don't make threads they just lurk and troll.
>>
>>2734887
1% if you're talking about the absolute beginners that happen upon the place and not the artists that already draw
>>
/ic/ in general is mostly valuable as a resource for total beginners to become somewhat intermediate, those who make it from there are gonna need to branch out from what this place can offer.

if the question is whether or not consistent practice pays off, the answer is yes but that practice has to actually increase with your skill level. photostudies and loomis heads will only get you so far no matter how many hours you grind them.
>>2734948
>It's like a mental exercise or a puzzle.

the funnest puzzle comes from trying to compose scenes from your imagination. maybe try doing perspective studies of your surroundings and once that becomes easy, do them from someone else's perspective (i've been doing that a lot lately, it's a really fun challenge). you can do this practically anywhere with any small amount of free time.
>>
File: art.png (31KB, 358x476px) Image search: [Google]
art.png
31KB, 358x476px
>>2734948
>tfw my real hobby is collecting instructional videos

i don't draw either.

there's nothing stopping me, either. i have a job and live a comfortable life. i have around 3 hours of free time on weekdays, far more on weekends.

i occasionally redline or demonstrate perspective techniques to people on here who are too busy drawing to read and watch videos...
>>
>>2735125

Oh doge, and I though I have a problem
>>
I'm not a pro when it comes to drawing and painting, but I've "made it" whith matte painting and photo bashing. There is still a lot of practice to be done until I can become a full blown pro with doing illustrations, but so far so good. The first step into the industry is done.
>>
>>2734887
If by "make it" you mean become professional artists, probably not that many. If by "make it" you mean get skilled at their craft, a pretty good chunk.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.