[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How has pursuing art affected your life?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (31KB, 316x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
31KB, 316x400px
how has doing art affected your life?

I.e. You make a living with it, or you met people through it or you have less free time, or even something as simple as you not being bored as much.
>>
>>2734375
It's caused more me both more good and more harm than any other single thing in my life.
>>
Made me depressed at the fact that I draw something only to realize it looks like shit. Study fundies and continue to draw, looks okay, next day looks like utter crap and wonder how that was passable in my eyes yesterday. I get frustrated more easily now, and feel like going nowhere in general cause I hate going to university as well.
>>
>>2734375
I've learned how terrible other people are because they don't care about you if you pursue art. If it was STEM, oh boy, you must be amazing!
>>
>>2734379
Expound pls
>>2734381
>>2734384
I know those feels. I think if I didn't decide I wanted to do art seriously I'd probably be putting way more time into uni. As of now I'm just barely scraping by, although my shitty time management isn't helping either. The one good thing about art tho Is that this is something I am 100% truly passionate about. This is something that I know I want to do till the day I die, whether I'm successful at it or not. I Think a lot of people spend their whole lives looking for that special something, end up getting a stem degree and then having a mid life crisis when they realize that that isn't what they wanted to do. so I feel lucky to have found my passion so early in life, despite the problems that may come with it.
>>
>>2734389
How much time do you put away each week for art? I've still got school, so I hardly can spend my time elsewhere even though I want to pursue art seriously. All people also seem to care about is the degree itself and none of the work that went into getting the degree. I just want to finally be good at this, but if you suck, it's hard to convince anyone. People these days still believe in gifts and talent.
>>
>>2734392
Not enough. I've been doing around 3-4 hours a day. Sometimes less sometimes more. I've got limited time tho and again, my time management sucks. Trying to make it work as best I can.
Also College is mad difficult so it's understandable that you'd have to put a lot of time in to it. I'll probably have to do the same once I stop taking baby level classes. It's way harder than people say imo, but maybe I feel that way cause I'm retarded. Who knows?
Also yeah I feel you on people doubting your choice to pursue art. Its kinda seen as this mystical "other" thing that some gifted people do cause they're born with it. And so much of the world is oblivious to the world of commercial art, they mostly think a career in art is fine art stuff that will most likely lead you into a dead end. Idk, there's a lot of ignorance on the subject and I wish people were more open to the idea of non traditional career choices.
>>
>>2734375
I know how some of you feel, I too have passed work as finished and have had it sold and realized later how incomplete or utter shit it was. I want to make art my job but not with my technical skills... or creativity.

I found that art has introduced me into new local communities. I am having my work framed and displayed for free at a local shop and a a man who is famous for selling local art wants to see my work. I have finally got around displaying my stuff to the public. I am always trying to work on a new piece because eventually i believe i may make living with it...eventually.
>>
>>2734375
Lost all my old friends, they weren't artists and they all just "dudeweed lmao" while all I wanted to do is stay home and draw. I gained great art friends though and with less distractions and good people to guide me, I've gotten much better at art and I could dedicate myself entirely to my passion. Overall, things worked out for the best. Art's also affected me in different ways from helping me mature to teaching me how to work hard and countless other things. Art even taught me how to see.
>>
>>2734411
How did you gain new and better friends? I'm on that step after losing all my loser non-hard working friends.
>>
>>2734439
Just reach out to other artists, it sounds difficult at first, but you can just message other artists and become friendos with them. I had never spoken to another artist in my life until I reached out after losing the other friends. All of the ones I've spoken to are really nice.
>>
>>2734439
And good luck btw, remember that art's a lonely path, but it's worth it. Don't forget to binge cgma, gumroads and gnomon DVDs with all your new delicious spare time.
>>
it made me quit vidya. I juat waste a lot of time doing other shit like shit posting now instead of vidya. I think I might try to get back into it tho jut in moderation so I have something to break up the monotony besides art.
>>
I'm kinda at a point where I'm making a living with it but not quite yet, I'm giving it another year or so. Otherwise it turned me into a complete loner. I have no art buddies in real life or through the internet and otherwise only two or three buddies I grew up with. I feel depression coming up because of it and it already affects my artistic ability. I don't want to turn into another depressed tumblrina so I'm just plowing through this with sheer discipline and will. I watched a Marko Djurdjevic video tutorial recently and he said you'll be very alone at first but people will flock to you once you git gud. God, I hope that's true.
>>
>>2735079
Good luck, mayne. I wish you the best on that. I'm the type of person that doesn't miss people or get lonely, but it took time for me to develop that. Mind providing me with a link to that tutorial? If you forgot it, it's okay.
>>
>>2735079
Good luck anon. I remember watching a sinix video where he said, I think it was Marco, made a post on CA about being depressed and quitting art. So atleast you can take solace in the fact that even pros feel what you're feeling.
>>
>>2735067
im kinda going that direction too and uninstalled all my pc games recently but man consoles arent that bad, if you can control the addiction just play every now and then in order to get inspired. i respect your call though quitting vidya completely is a tough move, would be for me at least
>>
>>2735122
Yeah, I think the biggest thing is just controlling the addiction. Gaming was a huge hobby of mine so it makes no sense to discard it entirely out of my life. If you can moderate your time then that would probably be optimal. Although a lot of the new AAA stuff doesn't seem to interest me anymore because I've been away from it for so long, so maybe if you quit for a while you might have a different outlook on gaming in general. Couldn't hurt to try.
>>
>>2734375
Gave me something to be proud of myself for, I guess.

Honestly no substantial change, I'm still a jobless, broke societal leech. With or without a pencil.
>>
File: lol.jpg (58KB, 580x539px) Image search: [Google]
lol.jpg
58KB, 580x539px
nothing's changed. just the stress of trying to be something I'm not faded away and was replaced by the stress of taking something seriously for once.
>>
>>2735354
I know that feel. Also is a dedication that redeems me in some people's eyes, it's funny how you can go from 'quiet and weird' to 'alright' in seconds.

At least there's that.
>>
>>2735457
>dedication that redeems me in some people's eyes
do you talk to people about doing art? In high school all the people that did art were weirdos and got ostracized so now I have this subconscious thing where I avoid telling people how much time I actually put into art or how passionate I really am about it.
>>
>>2734379
This so much.
In my case it finally made me find focus on something instead of wasting my time away with TV and stuff.
The bad part is that I became a bit of a workaholic with it, and consequently shrunk my social circle close to nothing.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.