[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking for an Artist Who's Looking for Long-Term Intermittent

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 12

File: scoob.jpg (51KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
scoob.jpg
51KB, 720x720px
I'm hoping to get an art-heavy project rolling soon. I've become confident that the only way I'll be able to get this done in a reasonable time frame is to hire a superior artist and relegate myself to the position of a client and 'art director' rather than handling the art alone. There is simply too much currently outside of my repertoire to do this, and I don't want to sit around with my hand down my pants idly playing with my dingy for much longer.

I manage a small store for a meager wage, and I couldn't possibly afford to pay anyone full-time, but as an artist myself I know that if you're at any respectable level you busted your ass to get there. So tell me your rates and give me examples of your work-just understand that depending on what those rates are I might not have work for you as often as I'd like-or might have to decline.

what I'm looking for:

>Character artist and designer with an animation-friendly weeaboo/cartoon/pinup style and strong understanding of artistic fundamentals

>Willing and able to run a private stream while you work for me to observe your process

>At least some semblance of professionalism (if you have or purport to have some kind of debilitating mental illness or physical condition that's going to keep you from fulfilling a basic drawing request for weeks on end let me know ahead of time so I can ignore you nigga)

>English fluency (or close to it)

/ic/ isn't going to be the last place I look, but I've been here enough to where I figured it'd be the first. If you have anyone you know that might be interested, or knows other good places to look I'd appreciate it. Send five of your favorite illustrations you've made to [email protected]; if I don't get back to you within two weeks, don't be offended.

I'll also answer basic questions in this thread too of course. Thanks in advance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiiPdARuPh8
>>
>>2731409
you made Waggy boi
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>2731436
hahawut?
>>
So OP, I understand that you have no budget? Why would anyone want to contact you?

You have solid requirements, but you are in no position to have them. Better get good at earning money before you jump into ambitious projects that require fuckload of it.
>>
>Willing and able to run a private stream while you work for me to observe your process

I'd never let a client influence creative process in the middle of creative process.
>>
>>2731512
that shit sounds like an absolute nightmare
>>
>>2731409
>Stream while you work for me to observe your process.
ehhh no
>>
>>2731409
>>Willing and able to run a private stream while you work for me to observe your process

Jesus christ how horrifying
>>
good employers don't post on 4chan.
>>
>>2731500
My 'budget' is my disposable income. That's why I asked people to submit their rate and their work.

>>2731512
>>2731620
>>2731625
>>2731630

I should have made this clearer, I would like to see how you work at least once, I don't necessarily need it to be a stream where you're working on a piece for me, even-I wasn't really planning on "communicating" through the stream with the artist i.e. YOU BETTER FIX THAT MENISCUS NIGGA (that comes later). It could also be a youtube video. Just something that shows me what you can do and how you do it.

>>2731637
Let's be honest, most people and organizations that employ artists aren't good anyway-no matter how "reputable" they are. Look into "Fantasy Flight Games" and their relationship with artists . All I'm offering is a fair wage (certainly higher than my own by volume) for fair work within the scope of my own limitations. If I can't pay you your rate we'll simply wait it out until I can, that's what I mean by "long-term intermittent". I don't want or need anyone moving their ass for me if I'm not in the position to pay them what they want when the job's done.
>>
File: le money face.jpg (79KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
le money face.jpg
79KB, 1920x1080px
>>2731637
Also...as I inquired in the OP where do you suggest I look? Drawcrowd? Craigslist? Honestly I'd much rather give a d/ic/k who shares my cultural values a chance first than some effete, temperamental normie. I'll look elsewhere if no one here's interested in a relatively stable income, but otherwise I welcome any of you to post an example of your work and what you charge for it.
>>
>>2731797
You're probably better off contacting artists directly that you feel fit what you are looking for stylistically. Look through artists on tumblr, artstation, drawcrowd, even deviantart.

There's some pros on /ic/ but they may not necessarily be what you are looking for exactly, and even if they are probably they won't be interested in how you are presenting this. It sort of sounds like a lot more work than it's worth and comes across a bit sketchy.

If you just email artists though and are upfront about how much you can actually pay then you might find someone. Just saying "my disposable income" is really vague, and basically comes across as you will be underpaying the artists severely. Get some hard numbers out there.
>>
>>2731810
>You're probably better off contacting artists directly that you feel fit what you are looking for stylistically. Look through artists on tumblr, artstation, drawcrowd, even deviantart.

You're probably right, but I figured making a thread here would be relatively harmless and potentially more expedient-who's to say any one of them are available? Worst case scenario (the one that seems more likely every time I figuratively open my mouth in this thread) is that no one responds and that's okay, too.

>Just saying "my disposable income" is really vague, and basically comes across as you will be underpaying the artists severely

I understand it's vague on my part, but I thought it was common for artists to have a set hourly rate they're willing to work at in mind already. I'm just asking people to tell me what that rate is along with a sample of their work, really. I'm willing to budget around the artist's rate. However, because of my fixed income I just have to decide like...is it worth hiring this artist that wants $25/hr vs this artist that wants $20/hr or this artist that wants $15-and what can either of them get done for me by the time I'm tapped out for the week.
>>
>>2731907
Thats also part of your problem. You say youre charging by the hour but you havent even said what kind of project it is? How can someone give their rates if you havent said what theyll be working on. For comics many people charge per page, for game arts some charge per illustration. What are you looking for?
>>
File: cdc.jpg (45KB, 546x366px) Image search: [Google]
cdc.jpg
45KB, 546x366px
>>2731409

>oooh y-yes, keep drawing that anime tiddie d-dont stop

OP looking at your stream while you work
>>
File: mistakes were made.gif (37KB, 356x462px) Image search: [Google]
mistakes were made.gif
37KB, 356x462px
>>2732368
>For comics many people charge per page, for game arts some charge per illustration

I thought a "figurative" hourly rate encompasses anything. Sequential art, illustrations or whatever. Sending me a picture of your work along with what you'd normally charge to have a similar piece done would be hard to confuse for someone inexperienced as I am. Many artists make little "infographics" depicting their rates along with examples of what they can do on places like tumblr and deviantart and I figured this would be no exception.

It seems I got this thread off on the wrong foot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5tr_L31StI
>>

The fuck.
>>
File: tricky mickey.jpg (103KB, 580x416px) Image search: [Google]
tricky mickey.jpg
103KB, 580x416px
>>2732721

My first instinct when making this thread was to joke about how I was going to be punching myself in my flaccid micropenis as hard as I can to your drawing process, but I don't really see the actual controversy myself. A lot of artists stream for large groups of people no problemo; as an artist myself if I'm paying someone potentially hundreds of dollars per illustration at my own middling wage I don't see why letting me sit on my cuck chair and watching them do what they do for edutainment purposes is so extraordinary a request. It's not like I'm some hairy, obese pervert that's going to be breathing heavily into your ear the whole time.

...right?
>>
>>2732863
the big streamers are not under the obligation of the whims of any of the watchers. the business relationship you enter with the artist changes that dynamic entirely. while it seems innocent at first glance, it can easily go south for a number of reasons. You might find a laid back artist who knows when to put the foot down, or an independent and inexperienced one who doesn't understand the contamination risks, but most self respecting artists would say no.
>>
>>2732863
>I don't really see the actual controversy myself

It's the equivalent to having your boss staring over your shoulder at work.
>>
File: basketball man.gif (2MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
basketball man.gif
2MB, 400x225px
>>2732870

Fair enough; this is the first time I've even entertained the idea of contracting an artist so I'm kind of unfamiliar with the boundaries a working artist might want-I didn't really think of it as any different than hanging out with a bud in skype, but I suppose when cash money is being thrown around and complete strangers are involved it changes things.

>>2733003

An apt enough description I suppose, though I'm not certain if most hovering bosses make heaving and grunting sounds into their employees' ears like I intended to
>>
OP if you describe the project in more detail and actually tell us the amount your willing to go too, I'm pretty sure people would actually respond. I mean your biggest mistake was coming to /ic/ in the first place, where talent is severely lacking in any form, and anyone with any small amount of talent has already secured a job in the industry. If it's any thing, my hourly rate would be about 50 USD for something like this considering the vague detail you have given. I would cobsider thinking about it if you give more detail, but I'm not a great artist by any stretch.
>>
File: ....gif (2MB, 250x188px) Image search: [Google]
....gif
2MB, 250x188px
>>2733283
First of all thank you for at least putting an offer out there. I'm willing to entertain the idea of $50 an hour, but it's definitely a lot. To put it in perspective, if I were to hypothetically be paying you for 40 hours a week that would be about $100,000 a year, double the median wage for people in my country, about four times my own wage and 10 times what a Japanese animator makes. I was expecting to pay maybe half that. At that rate I'd only be able to pay for two or three hours a week before I'd be tapped out, so I would certainly expect a top shelf nigga by any standard.

I think it's worth reiterating that with me as a client it's not going to be a one-off. Whoever I hire I intend to commission at least bi-weekly for quite some time, probably over a year.

>I'm not a great artist by any stretch

Don't sell yourself short, you should always let the client be the judge of that, family man. Post your work here or send an email to [email protected] along with estimates. I'll definitely tell you whether your work is worth $50 an hour to me or not.
>>
>>2733195
Look up for_exposure on twitter anon. Don't be like the people featured on there, or you'll end up there yourself.
>>
>>2733400
>exposure

I agree with you, that's why I'm offering money and, at least relative to my own wage, lots of it. I want whoever I work with to find the arrangement agreeable enough at least, if not be elated. I'd been pressured into working for free before myself so I know how it is, and that's not what I'm about. I just have my own limitations to consider as well.
>>
>>2731409
I'm interested OP, but could you clarify exactly what you're looking for with some kind of examples?
>>
File: Untitled-3.jpg (79KB, 714x654px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-3.jpg
79KB, 714x654px
>>2733644
I'm leaning towards a "deformed" anime approach for most of the character artwork. I want to see what the artist I'd hire is most comfortable with though, maybe their natural style is just what I'm looking for-I really don't know until I see what any of the interested parties are capable of.

Basically the workflow would consist of me exchanging rudimentary artwork with the artist directly, submitting something like this generic girl sketch I just made, and having them send me something back that's more refined and in accordance to some of their own artistic sensibilities.
>>
>>2734037
That image is terrible
>>
File: me the art director.jpg (185KB, 811x819px) Image search: [Google]
me the art director.jpg
185KB, 811x819px
>>2734092
Take it or leave it
>>
>>2734099
Storyboard is supposed to be quickly made and its only purpose is to give a general and clear idea of the scene
>>
>>2734037
Thanks OP. I'll send some of my stuff to your email, lemme know if it's adequate.
>>
>>2731666
next time you tard simply ask for a portfolio and if you dont like it fuck you move on.
>>
File: some-gay-naked-guy-lmoa.jpg (47KB, 660x624px) Image search: [Google]
some-gay-naked-guy-lmoa.jpg
47KB, 660x624px
>>2734184
I know, my point is that the girl cartoon I posted is an example of my "visual shorthand" that I'd be using to "give a general and clear idea" of what I want as far as an illustration goes-while allowing the artist a certain degree of autonomy, of course. Having read some anecdotes about the subject, it seems like it's not uncommon for art directors to draw in that manner pictured (>>2734099), which is certainly more ambiguous and primitive than what I can offer.

Nevertheless, my artistic inadequacy is the general theme of this thread. If I were much better than I am, hiring someone wouldn't have ever crossed my mind tbhfam

>>2734361
Thanks bud, I'll check it out.
>>
File: me pondering.jpg (40KB, 438x500px) Image search: [Google]
me pondering.jpg
40KB, 438x500px
Contemplating a paid art test for my top 3 choices (paid as in, all contestants are paid). I wouldn't be using the results or their designs for commercial purposes, and would just submit a couple generic random pose drawings like >>2734037 and >>2734410 for the contestants' deliberation to see what they're able to come up with in a prescribed time limit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzyz2egx_0c
>>
>>2734374
Underrated post imhotbhfyi, I don't have a lot of common sense
>>
>>2734374
I see no problem with how OP presented his financial situation. He provided more information than was necessary, I appreciate that.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.