[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Art Forgery

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: Capture.jpg (68KB, 1247x648px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
68KB, 1247x648px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt8A4EdtLO0 Interesting video I found. Should his work be encouraged? Discouraged? What do you think?
>>
It is easy to duplicate someone else work. Especially when you are doing an exact copy.
There is a market for his work in creating replicas of works that Museums sometimes commission.
Plus an art restorer will sometimes need to repair a painting that has been damaged and using his techniques of forging a painting he can get some work.
Another forger painted in the style of an old master and sold it as an original.
>>
>>2731363
It was kind of neat, I was surprised at how well he could imitate the aging of the frames and canvases and get the oils to crack in the same way as if they had aged.

It's illegal yes, and morally I think it's a bit scummy in some regards, but I'm definitely more on his side than that woman who was all angry at him and couldn't even say why it was a crime.

I think it's a bit disappointing that he spent so much of his life just as an imitator. If he really is that skilled then he may have been able to actually contribute something original to the art world instead of just piggybacking on more genuine artists. It seems rather than getting fulfilled through his art and leaving a legacy of paintings that no one else could have done, he gets fulfilled through to con artist aspects of it.
>>
>>2731379
BELTRACCHI - THE ART OF FORGERY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TS6a3XochQU
>>
>>2731379
>It is easy to duplicate someone else work
Not to the degree that it can fool art experts and auction houses.
>>
>>2731382
Looks interesting--is the full movie any good?

It did bother me how when he was asked if he could paint a Leonardo or a Rembrandt he brushed it off as being super easy, yet all he forged were abstract pieces. I swear I saw another art forger asked the same thing and he responded in the same way, yet he didn't do any old master stuff like that either. They're in it to stroke their ego, but they can't actually back it up with their painting. They mostly get away with it by faking the aging on it or using actual old materials, then coming up with fake documentation or something.
>>
>>2731363
There's easier ways to just make money, but whatever. Good for him I guess.

>Encouraged? Discouraged?
I'd rather not actively engage with it either way.
>>
>>2731363
fucking bitch who can't tell if a painting's real even though that's her job has the gall to criticize him?
>>
>>2731381
he's probably not very creative
>>
>>2731394
Creativity can be learned and nurtured. If he spent those decades painting from life and developing his own tastes and ways of working then he could have done some good work even if he is not a "creative" person.
>>
>>2731388
Yes the full movie on Beltracchi is good. That one is only a few minutes. I learned something from these forgers. Instead of trying to sell a forged work, do the reproduction as a way to learn an artists style. You can't forge works these days because it takes too much effort to produce a fake that can be spotted easily. Beltracchi got busted cause he used a tube of paint that he thought was all flake white (at least the label said so) but had 5% titanium white in it.
>>
>>2731396
I'm sure he would have if he wanted to. Obviously he was more interested in learning to create convincing fakes.
>>
>>2731363
what a legend
>>
>>2731399
>Beltracchi got busted cause he used a tube of paint that he thought was all flake white (at least the label said so) but had 5% titanium white in it.
kek
>>
>>2731383
considerably easier than you think. Pretty much any professional artist can make a master copy of the artists this guy copied...

They chose the artists to copy for a reason. They aren't exactly the best artists.

They also did this shit before modern forensics. The tech might have existed to a degree in the early 80s but today it's considerably more advanced and cheaper. Rubbing some coffee to fake aging just isn't going to cut it anymore.
>>
>>2731389
you make $650k?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.