[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Color advice

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

File: andrey-surnov-beggar1.jpg (348KB, 1400x1321px) Image search: [Google]
andrey-surnov-beggar1.jpg
348KB, 1400x1321px
How do I color like this guy?
Is he using lab+color variation brush or what?
His greys are just too sexy, but I can't figue them out.
>>
File: ok.png (283KB, 492x438px) Image search: [Google]
ok.png
283KB, 492x438px
not this lab mode maymay again...
>>
>>2727286
he's mixing grey tones with his colors and blending them on the edges. he's also building up layers of brush work. he's just a patient.
>>
>>2727286
what does a single color even matter? are you even close to that level of skill? just keep improving.
>>
>>2727288
Pretty much this, there's just some cool greys glazed over warm tones so he gets an interwoven colour temperature thing. You can do this with a regular round brush.
>>
File: andrey-surnov-1.jpg (495KB, 904x1600px) Image search: [Google]
andrey-surnov-1.jpg
495KB, 904x1600px
>>2727286
and another picture
>>
>>2727300
This one has a Rockwell feel to it.
>>
>>2727301
Not at all lol...
>>
>>2727301
I see mostly Min Yum and Phil Hale personally. It doesn't remind me of Rockwell at all to be honest.
>>
>>2727300
if you want to achieve this I suggest you paint form dark to light. stay in the low values for a while and then slowly start to lighting areas of focus. the grey tones can be easily added on top of the colors. and fuck, this kind of art takes days to get at, no bullshitting anon.
>>
>>2727301
>>2727307
that rendering reminds me of ruan jia tbqh (tight rendering, low value, crazy hues, lots of oranges)
>>
>>2727314
The approach to value, form, and edge is very different than Ruan though
>>
if you want ruan jua level art you need to at some point start working your entire canvas at like 110 % zoomed in.
>>
>>2727324
Kek what bullshit. Why work at over 100% zoom? Just make a bigger canvas, or if your computer can't handle that render an area in a separate file then paste it in.

Also Ruan's level is still apparent if he paints on smaller canvases and doesn't zoom. It's about what decisions you make, not how many pixels are there.
>>
>>2727286
The guy has some process videos on his artstation. He literally just usees pretty much only the hard round brush and then zooms in and manually puts every shape, stroke, and colour there. There's no magic trick here, it's just solid knowledge being expressed with the simplest of techniques.
>>
>>2727286
Something I've been noticing lately is how most of of the color we see and are awed by is actually value. Value is like 95% of everything you see all the time.
>>
>>2727327
wow you know fuck all I guess. I don't care that you suck lmao.
>>
File: ColourTemperature.jpg (1MB, 1368x2797px) Image search: [Google]
ColourTemperature.jpg
1MB, 1368x2797px
OP I did a quick example of using greys. basically if you have a warm base tone you can put a desatured colour (can be any colour really, the desaturated nature means it's cooler no matter what) and make sure it is close in value to the base you are putting it over, and then you get a sort of vibrating colour effect from the different temperatures of the same value next to each other.

>>2727369
Yeah value underlies everything in colour
>>
File: IMG_0532.jpg (67KB, 1541x612px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0532.jpg
67KB, 1541x612px
>>2727382

Note that color temperature is relative. When using blue hues, greys will appear warm
>>
>>2727393
Oh yeah I misspoke. I said it's cooler no matter what -- IN THIS CASE because it is on a very warm base tone, so any desaturated colour takes on the opposite temperature which here is cool. Greys will appear warmer on a very cool base tone, though in general artists don't use cold underpaintings for doing stuff like this as it can "kill" the colour and make things look pretty dead and unnatural.
>>
>>2727286
>not knowing how an optical grey works

>>2727382
>>2727393

/thread
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.